Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

If anyone cares here's an update. Added a couple of flashpoints and checked the Operations.

Dreshdae Cantina

Server Load: STANDARD

Approx 7:30 PM ET

Republic Side:

Ilum: 16

Corellia: 6

Voss: 24

Belsavis: 33

Hoth: 24

Quesh: 10

Balmorra: 35

Alderaan: 39

Tatooine: 37

Taris: 21

Coruscant: 66

Tython: 74

Ord Mantell: 25

Esseles: 10

Hammer Station: 2

Eternity Vault: 20

Republic Fleet: 104

Other Ships, warzones, etc: unknown

TOTAL KNOWN REPUBLIC: 546

Imperial Side:

Ilum: 29

Corellia: 23

Voss: 41

Belsavis: 52

Hoth: 26

Quesh: 14

Taris: 25

Alderaan: 43

Tatooine: 52

Balmorra: 41

Dromund Kaas: 72

Korriban: 37

Hutta: 24

Black Talon: 16

Athiss: 10

Eternity Vault: 24

Imperial Fleet: 151

Other Ships, warzones, etc: unknown

TOTAL KNOWN EMPIRE: 657

Total seen: 1203

Other flashpoints had trivial numbers or no one in them--surprised me a bit. Did not check warzones at all except Voidstar Republic side, which had 16.

Edited by ptwonline

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 31st =! January 28th when Subs were actually first charged making a player a paying subscriber.

That would be like if WoW Released Mists of Pandaria with 1 Free month attached, and watched tons of new people come into the game as well as return, and posted 14 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS 10 days after release because people had free months attached.

See it for what it is, people. It's SWTOR giving inaccurate data, simply because it was out of date, and was probably the time in which their "subscribers" were peak.

December 31st =! January 28th when Subs were actually first charged making a player a paying subscriber.

That would be like if WoW Released Mists of Pandaria with 1 Free month attached, and watched tons of new people come into the game as well as return, and posted 14 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS 10 days after release because people had free months attached.

See it for what it is, people. It's SWTOR giving inaccurate data, simply because it was out of date, and was probably the time in which their "subscribers" were peak.

The 1.7 million figure that was given was up to current date people who used CC for there 30 and then canceled would not be counted as their subs would have been up.

Are you trying to say that the sub numbers were from Dec 31? Cuz that would be impossible given the fact that they came out and said that more than half of those 1.7 million people were in fact paying and NOT on their free month.

Edited by Akirator

The numbers were regarding the game at the end of Q4.

How they came up with their sub numbers is anyones guess. I presume its anyone that had a credit card on file.

Frank Gibeau:

Thanks Eric.

Today I’m going to take you through some highlights from our biggest games in Q3, including

some perspective on the launch and consumer experience with Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I’ll also take you through some of the games we intend to release this quarter to complete our

fiscal year.

I’ll begin with Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12, two games that prove that making bigger hits out of

fewer titles is a winning strategy.

With Battlefield 3, our DICE Studio in Stockholm nailed every objective we set – including our

goal of gaining share in First Person Shooters. In Q3 last year, EA held just 13 percent of the

lucrative Western FPS market. This year we captured an additional 11 points and rose to a 24

percent segment share – a big leap in our plan to retake leadership in FPS. Battlefield 3 sold

through more than 11 million units and kept consumers playing and paying with premium

downloadable content like the Back To Karkand expansion pack. Battlefield 3 is a global

blockbuster with an ambitious plan for more content and services in the months ahead.

Next is FIFA 12, a game from the EA SPORTS Studio in Burnaby, British Columbia, which also

broke through the ten million unit mark. The innovation that makes this franchise so unique is

FIFA Ultimate Team – a digital game extension that creates a massive online community where

football fans can build, manage and compete with their ultimate team. In just three months,

FIFA Ultimate Team generated $39 million in micro-transactions. That’s 69 percent more than

we generated in the same period last year.

Our third global blockbuster in the quarter was Star Wars: The Old Republic. You’ve heard all

the superlatives, the only thing I can add is BioWare/Austin has delivered a game that millions

of people are going to be playing for a very long time.

Let me offer some metrics on purchase and subscription that will help you understand this

business. As John stated, we have sold through two million units of the game since December.

We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started

playing yet or have opted out.

Currently means as of Feb 1 not dec 31

Edited by WhiskyJax

Cooked numbers. All but three out of my guild have quit. One of the three that stayed has a imperial guild on another server and he said they have all quit.

Any reviewer not receiving kick backs from either EA or Bioware gives bad reviews.

Most of the folks here get their feelings all hurt and call trolls.

I think its neat that gamers have a game they really enjoy.

Great for you....hope you have fun.

However, those of us that know games and or actually good at them, know this game isn't very good.

In fact, its not good at all.

I hope it does continue to have a good player base. This is a game for bads and beginners.

I would bet money that anyone that had a hard time playing other MMOs (PvP specifically) just loves this game.

I never had any problems in WoW. PvP'd heavily in BC, had no problems hitting 1800-2000 range(Which is laughable nowadays, I know but people didn't hit 3k back then.) back then, came from a top 200 US guild for SWTOR as well and I'm loving it.

The servers are heavy as I ever seen them right now. there are like 4 servers completely full. most are heavy as of right now 9:00pm MT 2/3/2012

Yup .... so much for the doom and gloom crowd and their predictions.

Even Lord Ieldis is Heavy ...... and SHONACHAOS said it was always empty.

Edited by zrinkill

you all still playing Fanbois Vs. Haters in this thread?

much better then any soap opera.

Continue flinging mud at each other :D

Apparently so, everybody should know that "my opinion is better than your opinion" arguments never end.

A fascinating aspect of the psychology of human debate is the notion that arguments aren't about right and wrong, but rather about winning and losing. You quite clearly subscribe to the school of winning and losing, but there's a problem with that, indeed a problem with most debate: it focuses on things from a subjective, partisan point of view. The objective inferiority of the game to its competitors will come to bear at some point. People will realize the problems with it, the shortcomings in design and mechanics, and it will come to the end the doomsayers have been calling for.

This has nothing to do with attitudes or opinions, being cowed by a single piece of news, but by a more fundamental understanding of the real problems with the game and it's developers. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter who wins the argument, what matters is who is right and who is wrong. These things exist independent of each other. People will come to see the game for what it is, sooner or later.

Funny stuff here, very funny stuff.

Funny this has come up. I haven't played in a over a week and came onto the forums to see if anything has changed.

I'm sick of player imbalance and am about to cancel my sub. I was hoping to find information on how they plan on fixing it. The issues with so many Sith and so few Republic are well-known to everyone, no sense on repeating it. I just wish they'd tell us what they're going to do about it.

Edited by Prescient

Funny this has come up. I haven't played in a over a week and came onto the forums to see if anything has changed.

I'm sick of player imbalance and am about to cancel my sub. I was hoping to find information on how they plan on fixing it. The issues with so many Sith and so few Republic are well-known to everyone, no sense on repeating it. I just wish they'd tell us what they're going to do about it.

And how does BioWare fix customers making a choice they want to make?

Because if they watch me and tell me I can't roll Republic or Empire on the server I WANT then I'll be gone. I got no issue with the imbalance because that was the choice I made. And yes I got both republic and empire characters on different servers. My republic characters are out numbered and I'm fine with that because dems the breaks. I cannot get upset with BioWare because Joe Blow decided to roll Empire on the server I'm playing Republic.

Edited by DarthKhaos

you all still playing Fanbois Vs. Haters in this thread?

much better then any soap opera.

Continue flinging mud at each other :D

Haters numbers are dwindling fast...you are seeing less and less of the warriors who spend eight to twelve hours a day trying to convince everyone that the game if fail...I think by this time next month most of the discussions here will actually be about the game instead of if it's going to fail or not.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Cooked numbers. All but three out of my guild have quit. One of the three that stayed has a imperial guild on another server and he said they have all quit.

Any reviewer not receiving kick backs from either EA or Bioware gives bad reviews.

Most of the folks here get their feelings all hurt and call trolls.

I think its neat that gamers have a game they really enjoy.

Great for you....hope you have fun.

However, those of us that know games and or actually good at them, know this game isn't very good.

In fact, its not good at all.

I hope it does continue to have a good player base. This is a game for bads and beginners.

I would bet money that anyone that had a hard time playing other MMOs (PvP specifically) just loves this game.

Then please link to these reviews so we can have a look at them and see if they have any credibility.

Edit: just so there's no confusion, I mean the articles that give SWTOR bad reviews

Edited by Runeshard

Yep. There is no way this game makes profit. I truly wish they turn it around, but the issues it has pretty much means the devs are not talented enough to know how to make a good MMO. Once any of 5 or 6 games come out later this year, there's going to be about as many people playing this as there are people playing warhammer.

If you're having fun playing this good for you. If you're going to quote this and make a snarky reply, good for you, unfortunately all the time you spend on these forums defending this crappy mmo won't save it from anything.

The numbers arent even good. 1.7 million out of 2 million are either paying for it OR on their free month. I only resubbed at the last minute becuase there are literally 0 other games that interest me right now. Thats the only thing keeping me here. A complete lack of alternatives. Its like I'm on a desert island and there's a huge fat ugly woman but hey after a couple months ....

if thats all this game has going for it (and it is) then its not going to last past april

1.7 million out of 2 million is unprecedented (I think) even if it's not it's incredibly good. Considering that the vast majority of sales were made in Dec we are probably looking at 70-80% of those 1.7 million players being paying subscribers.

I don't mean to be snarky but I've heard far too many saying that they don't like this game and that they've unsubed, then they hang around the forums trashing a game. Frighteningly many of them simply make stuff up, I've seen some of them hang around so long that they simply had to have resubbed just to have access to the forums. In short I find it hard to believe that you would pay $15 resub to a game that you describe as "this crappy mmo" if you didn't have some other motives than "lack of choice".

The people leaving inthe meantime will propably get back once Bioware gets the problems in games coding fixed, and the game actually starts to run smoothly.

Presuming Tera, GW2 and any number of other games dont grab their attention.

At the same time, Rift is growing really quickly again. They cleaned up their game a ton and its really pretty amazing what they did with it. They made the game free before level 20 to grab folk interested in it. Smart idea imo.

1.7 million out of 2 million is unprecedented (I think) even if it's not it's incredibly good. Considering that the vast majority of sales were made in Dec we are probably looking at 70-80% of those 1.7 million players being paying subscribers.

I don't mean to be snarky but I've heard far too many saying that they don't like this game and that they've unsubed, then they hang around the forums trashing a game. Frighteningly many of them simply make stuff up, I've seen some of them hang around so long that they simply had to have resubbed just to have access to the forums. In short I find it hard to believe that you would pay $15 resub to a game that you describe as "this crappy mmo" if you didn't have some other motives than "lack of choice".

It means 300k already had cancelled their sub by the end of December - within the 30 day period the game came with.

There is no way the number is 2 million, it's gotta be a bit higher as it's in Biowares best interest to keep the numbers vague and as close together between subscriptiosn and purchases. People were mentioning a drop off after a month, losing at least 1/5 of your subscribers right off the bat seems big considering this game doen't have a strong vaccum pull at the end game.

A lot of players are still in there free month as not everyone like myself could buy the game during the holidays due to commitments. Mine just expired last night and have happily resubbed for at least another month to finish leveling my main and work on some alts. I don't know if my subscription will go past a month as leveling alts is too identical of a leveling process for me, I really need to see what they are going to do with legacy system

Presuming Tera, GW2 and any number of other games dont grab their attention.

At the same time, Rift is growing really quickly again. They cleaned up their game a ton and its really pretty amazing what they did with it. They made the game free before level 20 to grab folk interested in it. Smart idea imo.

I doubt any game will grab some of these folk attention. They are the type to hop from game to game and complain about each one and all eventually go back to the game they came from.

It means 300k already had cancelled their sub by the end of December - within the 30 day period the game came with.

No, it means that close to the financial report to it's investors that EA just had 300k had decided not to resub. Those numbers don't date back to the 31st of Dec.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1672636375x0x539144/d895626f-e715-4f00-bd50-31bf095027fd/Q3_Script_-_20_2112_1251pm.pdf

Check out page 10.

As John stated, we have sold through two million units of the game since December.

We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started

playing yet or have opted out.

In that document you'll find thay say that these numbers have been achieved in little over a month, release to 31st of Dec is not "little over a month". They also wouldn't be using terms like "to date" or words like "currently" when talking about these numbers.

Edited by Runeshard