EA Stock Surges After SWTOR Subscriber Numbers Reveal

Abriael

They have to pay back the 200 million dollar investment Lucas Arts made before they can take any profit and even then it will be 30% a month. It will help ea's bottom line more in 6 months to a year from now more then it will right now. They've probably paid off a good portion of the initial investment with their 2 million box sales but it's probably not all of it.

No. LucasArts didn't loan money to EA. It's an investment. EA has to pay back nothing. Lucas simply takes a slice of the profit, like any investor does.

Edited by Abriael

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with all the EA hate? They're not really much worse than Activision or any other large publishers.

Its cool to hate, and people love LA and BW more.

Even if LA/BW decided to burn puppies, EA would get the blame.

EA have come along way since the early 2000's

Considering that EA is the only company that really stands up to the great evil of game publishing (Activision), there's nothing wrong in celebrating that EA is doing well.

LOL, since when is EA not "the great evil of game publishing"? They are everything that is wrong with gaming.

LOL, since when is EA not "the great evil of game publishing"? They are everything that is wrong with gaming.

No, they're not. They turned around quite radically in the last few years. If you want to look for "everything that is wrong with gaming" Activision is where you have to aim.

The most telling information has NOT been released to the press.... yet Which is EA/BioWare Austin is turning a profit with SWTOR. That information has NOT come out, and anyone who believes the positive press spin as their investment advice... needs to seek more information and understanding. If they're turning a profit, then by all means, THAT is what they should say, and provide real accounting evidence to back that up.

Until then, everything released *CAN* be a lie, oh, I'm sorry, highly massaged marketing information, becuase even though some numbers have been released, they haven't included actual dollar figures and financial projections, to fully come under SEC regulations.

No. LucasArts didn't loan money to EA. It's an investment. EA has to pay back nothing. Lucas simply takes a slice of the profit, like any investor does.

Your right. I misread the article. EA gets the box sales not Lucas arts. Lucas arts takes a 35% cut of the residual. Ea stock will do very well. I bought some >.> Specially with ME3 coming.

Your right. I misread the article. EA gets the box sales not Lucas arts. Lucas arts takes a 35% cut of the residual. Ea stock will do very well. I bought some >.> Specially with ME3 coming.

if EA wanted to play it really smart and smooth, they'd include a 15 days free trial code for SWTOR with each purchase of ME3.

The most telling information has NOT been released to the press.... yet Which is EA/BioWare Austin is turning a profit with SWTOR. That information has NOT come out, and anyone who believes the positive press spin as their investment advice... needs to seek more information and understanding. If they're turning a profit, then by all means, THAT is what they should say, and provide real accounting evidence to back that up.

Until then, everything released *CAN* be a lie, oh, I'm sorry, highly massaged marketing information, becuase even though some numbers have been released, they haven't included actual dollar figures and financial projections, to fully come under SEC regulations.

Translation:

/stamps foot you wait it will failzorz just you wait!!!!

:rolleyes:

A new reach everyday. Watching the haters squirm has been quite enjoyable.

if EA wanted to play it really smart and smooth, they'd include a 15 days free trial code for SWTOR with each purchase of ME3.

Yea I hope the restructuring is done tho and their operating margins and eps dramatically improve. The sales numbers for swtor were good but the overall report was pretty bad when you look at the EPS loss for the year of 2011.

Edited by mezlabor

Those citing the current state of the global economy as another reason SWTOR should be proud of it's number are unfortunately mistaken, the current state of things is actually a benefit to SWTOR and will boost it's numbers. People will cut back on going out (eating/drinking/movies etc.) and stay home instead and MMOs represent very good value for money in terms of $/hr of entertainment.

So, SWTOR has 1.7 million subscribers and growing, and EA's stock raise 6%. Not too shabby. Not too shabby.

Wonder where the analysts that were throwing mud on the game are now. Probably responding to angry calls.

Guess old dear Pachter was right for once :D

Its a great start but most of the analysts were anticpating a strong start, i dont know where you got info the financial analysts were downing it. the test will be 90 days and 6 months.

just remember, those number are taken from dec 31st

only 11 days after release, when everyone still has their mandatory sub set up in order to actually play

the large drop off typically comes just before the free month runs out, when people decide whether or not they want to continue playing.

only 11 days after release, when everyone still has their mandatory sub set up in order to actually play

the large drop off typically comes just before the free month runs out, when people decide whether or not they want to continue playing.

actually the numbers were taken

"more than 30 days" after launch according to Bioware themselves.

But thanks for trying to play

No they weren't or you would have ZERO drop out.

Yeah she swore she would never blog again of the sub number reached 3 million...she since removed that blog.....she is more or less considered a laughing stock anyway.

Oh this is the blog where she predicted the games doom. I highly encourage people to tell her how wrong she was. Politely and civilly of course :)

I wonder if the wayback machine archived it...

good for them but thoes numbers are skewed. Its hard to tell how many are actually paying subscribers vs free 30 day. Game needs more time to cook before hard numbers can be pinned. Also when did there fiscal year end? Dec 31? jan 31? makes a big difference. just like haters take the first glitch and call doom, dont take the first bit of good news and say the game prints money. you know what they say when you assume.

http://techland.time.com/2012/02/02/star-wars-the-old-republic-nears-two-million-active-subscriber-mark/

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter was bullish about the sales and subscription numbers, suggesting that of the 1.7 million active subscribers figure, between 900,000 and 1.2 million were paying subscribers as of Jan. 31, while the remainder were trial subscriptions. Pachter believes that, worst case, 900,000 of the 1.2 million purchasers (through Dec. 31) converted to paying subscriptions (about 75%), while best case, 1.2 million out of 1.5 million purchasers converted (about 80%). The changing purchasers figure (through Dec. 31) is based on differing estimates of when people actually picked up the game.

good for them but thoes numbers are skewed. Its hard to tell how many are actually paying subscribers vs free 30 day. Game needs more time to cook before hard numbers can be pinned. Also when did there fiscal year end? Dec 31? jan 31? makes a big difference. just like haters take the first glitch and call doom, dont take the first bit of good news and say the game prints money. you know what they say when you assume.

http://techland.time.com/2012/02/02/star-wars-the-old-republic-nears-two-million-active-subscriber-mark/

Q: Are these 1.7 subscribers paying?

A: Active subscribers means anyone paying or in their trial period. Most of those 1.7m are paying at this point

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19915-electronic-arts-q3-fy12-earnings-call

Dont post reality uere it interferes with the blind fanatics that lick dog poop and tell themselves its chocolate. SWTOR has had a strong start but there is plenty of work left to do to convert this game into a long haul true mmo. Its currently a very good online game woth story. Its missing some fundemental mmo features that keep people playing past gear progression.