Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Focus on bugs and keeping content steady, not porting the game to an inferior platform.

Thank you everyone who reads this. :D

Those wouldn't be the same people doing the port. And actually, it's a superior platform in every way, but that's another thread.

You may have missed it, but Dr. Greg all but revealed it's on the way to the Mac soon:

http://www.askajedi.com/2012/01/02/mac-version-of-the-old-republic-coming-soon-massively-reports/

Edited by Lethality

No. Focus resources on bugs and steady content, not porting the game to an inferior platform.

Thank you everyone who reads this. :D

Your opinion of which platform is best is not the topic of this thread.

THIS IS NOT A MAC VS. PC THREAD.

PLEASE READ THE THREAD TOPIC.

just stop it.

the market has decided what is superior. just like it always does.

This thread is not for preferences in OS platforms. If you would like to discuss Mac Vs. PC you may start a thread of your own.

Please confine comments to the topic of this thread.

Thread Topic: Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

/signed

However, I do think that dev time is best spent elsewhere. Perhaps they could contract out to another company to build a wrapper? (Feral Games/Aspyr etc)

EDIT: Just remembered that DA2's wrapper may overheat my macbook... - Perhaps a stable wrapper ;)

Edited by MSVenom

just stop it.

the market has decided what is superior. just like it always does.

No, the market decided what's cheaper. Has nothing to do with superiority, quality or anything else. You need to understand what "value" means.

As I said, TOR is on it's way for the Mac, so all the detractors here can chew on that for a while.

I don't support this at all. The Mac platform simply isn't built/sold with games in mind. If people want to play the game, use a bootcamp application to run Windows on it. Or buy a computer that natively runs games (that goes for hardware as well), without having to beg developers to port each game to your platform.

No, it's a waste of development time that could be better spent elsewhere.

Basically this.

Even if you argue "well different people will do the port" it's still a waste of development resources. That MONEY could be spent on things that benefit everyone, and not the fraction of people that would run Apple hardware.

Edited by VorpalK

I do not, just because the game would need to be programmed into OpenGL, which would cause no end of troubles for Nvidia users.

I use ATI, which is far superior, but the money loss from Nvidia windows users to cater to the very minority Mac users wouldn't be worth it. Just go get that program to emulate windows on your mac.

No of course not. Why would I support a port into a crap gaming platform?

So an i5 processor, HD 6770 & 4GB RAM is a crap gaming platform? OK. ;)

I support an OS X client, 100%. Nice to see Bioware does too. If it made financial sense to do it for most of their games in the past (and it has) it'll make even more sense now.

Edited by daemian

Not if it takes any development time away from anything else. IMHO, slowing development of anything at all (or slowing bug fixes) to cater to a tiny subgroup (people that want to game on their apple, but don't want to use bootcamp) is bad for the game. If it doesn't, go for it, but I'm not sure it'd be worth their while.

Here's another bootcamper! :D

I dunno if a Mac client would be necessary.. I remember playing Dragon Age 2 on this iMac (21.5, i5 quad and 6770M.. bought it just to browse and doing some work at home, for playing I got my 360 and PS3 and a cozy couch! :D Never thought about using this machine as a gaming platform) and the performance was nice but playing it on my work MBP 15" i7 dual core with 8 gig of RAM was quite badly optimized.. No matter what the resolution or the graphical settings, it was always lagging badly!

This game on this machine on bootcamp is playing really smoothly, I maxed the resolution, removed AA and tinkered a little bit with the graphical settings. Same on the MacBook Pro, just a little lower resolution than the iMac.

For me it's not a big deal, defraag, partition, some install time, trying to remember how to use Windows... What is bugging me is the extra disc space wich goes for an otherwise for me useless OS!

If BW goes for a Mac client, I'll be sporting it but in the mean time my bootcamp is ok for me!