Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

You might want to follow your own advice:) That statement was officially clarified as well:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3341062#post3341062

LOL Okay. Thanks for helping drive my point home? Yes what ^the said, Topic is over now move on. Though I do get a kick out of watching the *man-length & girth* comparisons of the two sides (Win OS vs MAC OS). Reminds me of days gone past with the old *nix wars.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to wonder why WinPC fans get so angry at the thought of anyone even owning a Mac. It's as if the Mac users personally hurt them or something. But then I read articles like this:

http://allthingsd.com/20110816/mac-s...s-are-in-asia/

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/...ing-pc-market/

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/...-market-in-q3/

And I realize that perhaps they feel threatened by the increasing popularity of Macs and the Apple brand in general. Oh well, haters gonna hate, and they say jealousy is the highest form of flattery (or is it imitation? I always get those two mixed up :D )

I used to wonder why WinPC fans get so angry at the thought of anyone even owning a Mac. It's as if the Mac users personally hurt them or something. But then I read articles like this:

http://allthingsd.com/20110816/mac-s...s-are-in-asia/

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/...ing-pc-market/

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/...-market-in-q3/

And I realize that perhaps they feel threatened by the increasing popularity of Macs and the Apple brand in general. Oh well, haters gonna hate, and they say jealousy is the highest form of flattery (or is it imitation? I always get those two mixed up :D )

Except for there is nothing to be jealous of about Macs, coming from a perspective of a high end gamer. Instead I see Mac as a very limited machine that costs 3x the amount of a PC that I can build. I also don't hate Macs, they just don't fulfill my needs/wants.

Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

No, it's a total waste of developement time, considering how low the Mac population is. You can still play SWTOR on your Mac using bootcamp.

Macs are great, only not for gaming.

so do you believe mac players should take their share of the "funding" and leave?

part of the apple tax is a windows license and setting up bootcamp, those mac users who haven't figured that out are free to play pandas and pokemon IMO. a fraction of a fraction isn't worth catering to.

Yes. All Ten of them.

ok, let's do the math.

The number of Mac players on WoW when it's subscription numbers were at it's highest were around 5%

Assuming that's the same percentage of Mac players on SWTOR, that's about 85,000 players paying $15 a month each.

That's $1,275,000 a month.

I think Mac players have earned some of that "funding" in the form of a Mac Client or at least a simple port.

Edited by Toxen

Are you both a game developer and a financial analyst with F500 company experience for either position? I doubt it. The people paid to do the research on the REALIZED TECHNICAL AND FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY of a native Mac port have done so, and they didn't think it added up to big dollars. You can stamp your feet and argue with other unqualified neckbeards who also aren't F500 company developers or analysts, why you think a publicly traded company should lose money and man-hours on your behalf, but it won't translate into real world results.

Oh, rest assured - I'm quite qualified.

I see other companies like Blizzard and Valve cashing in all day, every day from their Mac business.

Better analysts? Better developers? Better management? All signs point to yes. It wouldn't be the first time EA dropped the financial ball on something. The shareholder side of me is as pissed as the Mac owner side of me.

Smile and say Mac. :)

If your next predictable response is "I am in fact a big time developer with over 9000 projects experience for the largest companies on earth," then I encourage you to instead of spending energy on these forums, you email your analysis to those ivy school grads at EA. Let us know how that goes.

I think the co-founder of BioWare already answered you... I couldn't send an email much higher up.

Why there's this special snowflake sense among mac gamers is beyond me. As a (theoretically) informed consumer, you make a choice on platforms, and their true capabilities. Mac is not a well-supported gaming platform. Period.

Ignorance of the topic doesn't excuse you. The Mac is a very well support gaming platform. Particularly for MMORPGs, particularly for the market leader EA is chasing. You can stop playing the "Macs aren't for games" because I run every game I ever wanted to on my Mac - natively.

Bioware doesn't care that blizzard supports Mac. They care about revenue. That's also why Blizzard did a port, they had a large enough playerbase and handle on the technical issues for it to make sense. Revenu.

I can tell you for a fact as someone who is long on ERTS, revenue matters and Blizzard is taking it for their game, while EA is leaving it on the table (and out of my portfolio.)

Blizzard didn't do a port - they create native clients for both systems simultaneously - that's how the big boys do it.

Thank you. You actually did him a favor and interpreted my reply to him earlier, which I'll quote again below. Futhermore, that's exactly the reason why I asked if the mac users community would pay extra to get swtor in Mac client (if BW decide to charge them more.) But, he replied with a "why on earth people need to pay extra for it." I don't understand his logic, and really beats me. You pay the extra dime for being special and unique.

@ Lethality: And again, let me emphasize, I'm not saying BW shouldn't do it or what not, but realistically, it's not feasibly good enough profit margin to do it.

Of course it is. Have some common sense. Do some math.

What makes zero sense is why Mac owners would pay more... our cost will only be 10% of the overall development cost... maybe we should pay less?

Except for there is nothing to be jealous of about Macs, coming from a perspective of a high end gamer. Instead I see Mac as a very limited machine that costs 3x the amount of a PC that I can build. I also don't hate Macs, they just don't fulfill my needs/wants.

Maybe you missed the memo, but games are just one thing a computer can do. A small part, as I've noted before only a fool buys a computer just for games.

There's nothing limited about my Mac, it does everything I want to do.

You should open your eyes, you might be surprised what you find.

part of the apple tax is a windows license and setting up bootcamp, those mac users who haven't figured that out are free to play pandas and pokemon IMO. a fraction of a fraction isn't worth catering to.

Do you even know what a fraction is? Do you know what a percentage is? Do you know what 15% share of an industry as large as the personal computer industry means?

Let me know.

ok, let's do the math.

The number of Mac players on WoW when it's subscription numbers were at it's highest were around 5%

Assuming that's the same percentage of Mac players on SWTOR, that's about 85,000 players paying $15 a month each.

That's $1,275,000 a month.

I think Mac players have earned some of that "funding" in the form of a Mac Client or at least a simple port.

Actually there are surveys that show the population of Mac subscribers at about 28%. But even using the general market share of 10%, it's still double the numbers you've used.

So yes, it's an absolute no-brainer ROI.... the "MBA's" the decided not to do it are worth their weight in sawdust at this point.

Of course it is. Have some common sense. Do some math.

What makes zero sense is why Mac owners would pay more... our cost will only be 10% of the overall development cost... maybe we should pay less?

mac users should be used to paying more for less...

No, Macs are owned by a very small percentage of people who can throw away money on useless hardware.

It's actually a large percentage, and don't you think that means we have more disposable income to throw at a video game subscription too?

Think it through.

It's actually a large percentage, and don't you think that means we have more disposable income to throw at a video game subscription too?

Think it through.

I mean I feel your pain but you're not correct when you say "large" percentage. You have been led to believe that I'm sure but unfortunately it is simply not true, I'm sorry to have to say.

+1

I'm playing fine on Bootcamp (in 2560x1440 :D ), but I'm fed up to relaunch my Os each time I want to play.

And I can't stand stay on window$ to do anything else ...

And just a few words, the real power of MacOs is that it's optimised for it's component.

Windows support every component you can put in your computer, but is often full of troubles of compatibilities ...

(sorry for mystakes in english, I'm french ...)

Maybe you missed the memo, but games are just one thing a computer can do. A small part, as I've noted before only a fool buys a computer just for games.

There's nothing limited about my Mac, it does everything I want to do.

You should open your eyes, you might be surprised what you find.

If you haven't noticed that I specifically stated coming from a perspective of a high end gamer. Thats great that the Mac does everything you want it to do, but for me the Mac is a very limited machine that I can't upgrade without buying a whole new $2000+ every 3 years computer, that is what I mean by limited. Every 3 years I am putting in about $500 to upgrade my computer because of high end gaming.

High end gaming is one of many things I do with my computer, and my computer can do everything a Mac can do, and for a significant fraction of the cost.

Only a fool interested in high end gaming would buy a Mac, unless they want to spend $2000+ every 3 to 4 years to keep up with the high end gaming.

What is there to open my eyes to? I am a high end gamer, and the Mac is extremely limited for high end gaming. There is nothing a Mac can do that my PC can't, so I am not missing out on anything, but if I switched to a Mac I would be missing the feature of upgrading my own computer to keep up with the demands of high end gaming. It is you who needs to open your eyes.

Edited by Wolfeisberg

Actually there are surveys that show the population of Mac subscribers at about 28%. But even using the general market share of 10%, it's still double the numbers you've used.

So yes, it's an absolute no-brainer ROI.... the "MBA's" the decided not to do it are worth their weight in sawdust at this point.

Blizzard seems to think it is closer to 6-8% http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3789699020