Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, not true. There is no single effort they could make that would bring bigger incremental revenue than releasing a Mac version.

I agree with you! :) And also.. my sig should be enough to show my views on this. XD

WOW! That's a lot of games. I had no idea. I actually had to scroll my browser down because all 20 of them didn't fit on the one page.

Gosh, because the Apple store MUST certainly be selling all of the available ones . . . /rolleyes

Much better to have quality than quantity. You guys can keep the 4000 windows p.o.s. games.

yeah, cause the Mac gets the vast majority of the quality ones:rolleyes:

Macs get nearly all the indie games that are cheap to buy, and very few of the Tripple A quality games, oh and Nancy Drew

WOW! That's a lot of games. I had no idea. I actually had to scroll my browser down because all 20 of them didn't fit on the one page.

Yeah, they have as many games as the dell or hp website. computer manufactures are the number 1 place to buy games :D

nope don't support it. haveing to support 2 game clients means less money that could be spent developing other things: ie free flight space, legacy banks, and other new content. 2 diffrent clients would also slow down patching because each patch would have to be tested on both clients.

nope don't support it. haveing to support 2 game clients means less money that could be spent developing other things: ie free flight space, legacy banks, and other new content. 2 diffrent clients would also slow down patching because each patch would have to be tested on both clients.

You're being selfish, but more importantly not looking at it from a business perspective. More money to be made from an entire new customer base than "more legacy features."

hmm, I was browsing the HeroEngine pages for something that can help us to overcome the loading issues in ports, and look what I found in HeroEngine forums (FAQ)

* 2012 we will attempt to deliver Linux, Mac, and iOS player clients, but the graphical reduction needed to take place to transition from a DirectX to an OpenGL renderer may not be something we can overcome. These are NOT editor clients, these are just player clients. We will not be distributing a Mac based editor.

So there is still a posibility that swtor will have more clients, and the bioware/ea will not have to do the porting. The autors of HeroEngine will.

So basically, the EA/Bioware will continue to develop the game as they were since now, only step they will need to add is compile the mac/linux client (select more checkboxes) :)

hmm, I was browsing the HeroEngine pages for something that can help us to overcome the loading issues in ports, and look what I found in HeroEngine forums (FAQ)

* 2012 we will attempt to deliver Linux, Mac, and iOS player clients, but the graphical reduction needed to take place to transition from a DirectX to an OpenGL renderer may not be something we can overcome. These are NOT editor clients, these are just player clients. We will not be distributing a Mac based editor.

So there is still a posibility that swtor will have more clients, and the bioware/ea will not have to do the porting. The autors of HeroEngine will.

So basically, the EA/Bioware will continue to develop the game as they were since now, only step they will need to add is compile the mac/linux client (select more checkboxes) :)

That'd be true if the engine they used was a vanilla engine build. BW/Studio created their own bastard version of it so, I wouldn't hold your breath. Lethality can, but you dont have to. :cool:

At this point, it'd be a waste of money and time- they have things to fix and systems to flesh out before resolving man hours to a trickle dollar. When the game starts leveling out, sure, instead of laying off people.

Testing i feel like im testing now, and paying sub

That'd be true if the engine they used was a vanilla engine build. BW/Studio created their own bastard version of it so, I wouldn't hold your breath.

As has been said before in this apparently write-only thread, you don't need to recode the game in OpenGL to do a Mac port. The other big games with Mac clients don't. Cider will run DirectX just fine. The problem is the multithreading.

At this point, it'd be a waste of money and time- they have things to fix and systems to flesh out before resolving man hours to a trickle dollar. When the game starts leveling out, sure, instead of laying off people.

I still don't understand why random users want to be a volunteer HR department for BW/EA instead of just answering the OP question. The game company is fully capable of deciding how to allocate its many teams - no, making a Mac port won't take someone away from your favorite ragebug with the Admiral's Hat - and whether contracting out the port (which is how it's normally done) is worth it. One way they'll decide is by listening to how many of us would buy it and use it if they bothered to do it.

That's why my answer to the OP is: Yes, I have a very nice iMac 27" and I would eagerly buy and use buy a Mac edition of SW:TOR if ever, and whenever, they decide to offer one. And so would plenty of others.

That'd be true if the engine they used was a vanilla engine build. BW/Studio created their own bastard version of it so, I wouldn't hold your breath. Lethality can, but you dont have to. :cool:

Too late for me, I am done with this game.

The Mac market is huge, and growing, and BioWare has already acknowledges - at the highest levels - that they want to support it. Like it or not.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

Too late for me, I am done with this game.

The Mac market is huge, and growing, and BioWare has already acknowledges - at the highest levels - that they want to support it. Like it or not.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/02/bioware-mac-version-of-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-something/

yeah, ok, but they have an even higher people above them that controls the money. Ultimately it will be EA who will decide.

Until someone comes up with an acceptable answer why Blizzard does it and is the market leader, every single reason is invalid. Every single one, bar none.

It's profitable and that's guaranteed. The market is big enough and that's guaranteed. Must be other deficiencies elsewhere....

Blizzard does it for all of their games and they are only the leader in MMOs. Gaming on Macs is a joke. It's like going to Sturgis on a Vespa.

Blizzard does it for all of their games and they are only the leader in MMOs. Gaming on Macs is a joke. It's like going to Sturgis on a Vespa.

They are only the leader in MMOs? What is TOR exactly? Who is TOR competing with exactly?

And perhaps... you've never heard of Starcraft or Diablo? Two very large international gaming franchises that are in the top-10 sellers of all-time. ALL TIME. Also available for the Mac. Coincidence? I think not.

I just find it's sad you have to come into this thread and try to somehow make up for inadequacies in your own platform of choice by trying to bring down others.

Gaming on the Mac is alive, well, booming and growing. Get used to it.

Edited by Lethality

I don't support it as it wouldn't add much to the Title in the way of new customers. It would take close to a hundred thousand new customers for me to say that it would be worth making a client for the Apple Mac. Maybe, at most there would a thousand new users from having a Mac OS client. Even then you would run into problems with Mac users as most run antiquated hardware. I'm sorry you bought a mac. Old, antiquated, over priced, non-upgradeable... You once could say that the Mac was better at graphics design back when they had the power pro. Now, all the Mac has going for them is propaganda.

I don't support it as it wouldn't add much to the Title in the way of new customers. It would take close to a hundred thousand new customers for me to say that it would be worth making a client for the Apple Mac. Maybe, at most there would a thousand new users from having a Mac OS client. Even then you would run into problems with Mac users as most run antiquated hardware. I'm sorry you bought a mac. Old, antiquated, over priced, non-upgradeable... You once could say that the Mac was better at graphics design back when they had the power pro. Now, all the Mac has going for them is propaganda.

Of course it would. It would be the single greatest influx of new customers of anything they could possibly do.

1,000? Lol.

100,000 is a no brainer... you'd see 250,000 Mac users try this out of the gate, guaranteed.

The only thing antiquated here is your information.

Edited by Lethality