Is Swtor sexist?

Ixum

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answers to your questions:

Is SWTOR sexist? No. It does however follow the standard trope which is biased towards showing off female anatomy. As for flirt options for females... I still won't say "sexist" but yes obviously it follows the classic "double standards" in our society. Of course if your definition of sexist is so loose as to suggest ANY differentiation between genders then yes. But such a definition in practice would be kind of odd.

Does it break immersion? Absolutely not. Western society has gender biases. The Star Wars movies had gender biases. Going out of your way to make everything "the same" would actually be more immersion breaking, because that does not follow our normal experience.

Double standards for men and women are sexist. Secondly, whether it breaks immersion is your opinion. You cannot say this doesn't break immersion for anyone.

Nope, it's just today's society that is still rife with traditionalists. Traditionalists say that men should not be on display as sex objects.

Back in the day during protests against sexism women would have bra burnings. I propose that all the men who feel they are victims of sexism decide on a day and hour in game to strip to their boxers and start club dancing in protest.

Just let me know when so this chick can have popcorn ready and a pocket full of credits to stuff in waist bands.

Nope, it's just today's society that is still rife with traditionalists. Traditionalists say that men should not be on display as sex objects.

Back in the day during protests against sexism women would have bra burnings. I propose that all the men who feel they are victims of sexism decide on a day and hour in game to strip to their boxers and start club dancing in protest.

Just let me know when so this chick can have popcorn ready and a pocket full of credits to stuff in waist bands.

uuhh.. i do that every day on my fleet ;)

Yes, we need more armor that shows men's skin :)

A friend of mine wears the slave girl top to her normal asassin equip and it looks beautiful. If I want a similiar effect with my male assassin I have to take his chestpeice of, which depletes me of stat boni and he looks more as if he forgot half of his clothes rather than wearing something revealing.

As for actual armor: chespieces on females often bare arms and belly, on males no skin whatsoever.

Then it's time that they damn well should be :D

Personally, i wouldn't mind if BioWare made a Sex Slave Outfit for the Male Characters because to me it would be a good laugh and i don't really have anything against Gay People either but to me i think most of them that are Gay went through something Emotionally/Mentally to make them feel/think the way they are because it's not really in our Nature to sleep with the same sex because if that was the Case then i highly doubt we would all be here now.

But that's just me, if you like the same Sex good for you.

Edited by Ravanofdarkness

Personally i would like to see a "sub" outfit for the male companions/characters. Heloooooooo Andronikos in sexy sub outfit =)! Put Ashara in the slave girl outfit as well, and there's some fun times right there!

ex of sub outfit for Andronikos:

https://ssl4.lon.gb.securedata.net/toygrotto.net/merchantmanager/images/uploads/d5763%20bondage%20bruce.JPG

Oh my God! This is truly gamebreaking! No bondage male suits in Star Wars game and no pink Vader costumes! Whoever created this game is so sexist and homophobic!

I suggest those who are unhappy with that quit and play some game better suiting their sublime taste.

Edited by vandana_

Really? Swtor is one of the least sexist games out there. Well, "sexist" in the OP's opinion, anyway. I don't find chainmail bikinis and Leia outfits sexist.

Do you girls wear short skirts and tops with decoltes? Why? Isn't it sexist?

I wouldn't mind a "shirtless walking scene" kind of outfit for my toon, but the lack of it doesn't make the game sexist.

• 2 weeks later...

"I suggest those who are unhappy with that quit and play some game better suiting their sublime taste."

Because unless you like the game exactly as it is, seeing no room for improvement or change, you shouldn't be playing? Since Bioware gave us forums to speak up in, including suggestion forums, I think they disagree with you.

The romances are a part of the game that I always enjoy; a miniature storyline like that adds spice to the game. Bioware are really good at those storylines, but they have a horrible equality rating, truth be told ...

If I did my reading correctly there's only one male romance option pr. class for the female players, as opposed to several female options on some of the classes for the male players.

Not only that, but there's only ONE visibly alien option. That's the first companion for the Trooper. There's nobody else.

When/if the patch for same sex relationships are put in, my female characters are totally romancing their fellow female comrades, but it's still kind of a letdown. Reminds me of how there was only one female romance option versus three for males in BG2; I'm sorry to see them continue the trend of inequality this far down the line.

Can I get the "LMFAO- I'm sexy and I know it" outfit??? PLEASE :)

Sexy

OR

Sexy2

CANNOT UNSEE!!!! HOW DO I DELETE MEMORY?? AHHHH!!!

ps. No I do not want to see Body type 4 dudes with a bikini... Although I would like a Han Solo-esk set for my hubby's toon ;)

Really? Swtor is one of the least sexist games out there. Well, "sexist" in the OP's opinion, anyway. I don't find chainmail bikinis and Leia outfits sexist.

Do you girls wear short skirts and tops with decoltes? Why? Isn't it sexist?

I wouldn't mind a "shirtless walking scene" kind of outfit for my toon, but the lack of it doesn't make the game sexist.

So it's ok to dress up a strait-laced character like Dorne in an outfit that she would never wear so the male controlling her can ogle? Seeing all the slave outfits everywhere remind me of a PG version of Conan, not Star Wars.

Besides, if the outfit is so liberating and no big deal why didn't Leia wear it throughout the rest of the film? Surely it was more comfortable than that camo gear. Maybe Han could have slapped on banana briefs in a show of solidarity-imagine Sean Connery from Zardoz but wearing even less.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how when people ask for equal opportunity, to flirt, have males wear stripper outfits etc. the dominant group, straight guys in games case, assumes we want to completely cut all the female holo dancers, sexy outfits etc. and replace it with our own stuff.

I usually dislike wow but I admit they have swtor on that point, I really like that wow lets you do whatever you want with your characters- including apparently burning straight guys eyes out of their sockets with male bikini's.

Yes, it is. Much like most of society throughout the ages. It's a part of being human that won't change until we stop having sex -- it's something innate to both of the sexes. It's also an effective means of selling a product to a wide audience, and without the sexism that exists in this game and every other piece of entertainment available within the last 2500 years, it wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

I mean, did you really enjoy the series Rome for its "historical accuracy" (lol) or because it had violence, naked women and casual sex mostly focusing on the nude female form? Yeah, I thought so. Honestly, the lengthiness of this thread is either an indication of the naiveness of the community or simply more inappropriate political diatribes on an internet form.

But yeah, the game is sexist. Just like you're a sexist, just like I'm a sexist. It's how our brains work, and as long as people aren't getting opportunities that others are based on that fact -- there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's usually responsible for complimenting the opposite sex when not being used for objectification. So stop worrying, enjoy your life, watch your favorite sitcom and stop filling my internets with your ever increasing complaints about everything.

Please, think of the children.