if you want to invite me to party, ASK ME first.

Kabjat

Adhere to my personal idea of what social norms are or face my WRATH

Yup after reading every post in this thread that's exactly how I see her. If someone disagrees with her she either ignores the post or passes them off as being rude.

Last night I was doing a quest on Taris that involved me killing an elite that had a 5 minute respawn timer. How do I know it had a 5 minute respawn timer? Because I was standing in front of the elite reloading my ammo when a I notice a shadow running up to us. I quickly whisper him if he needs "mob name here" for the quest. He then buffs him self and tags and kills the mob with out even responding to my tell. I'm then left standing there like a moron for trying to be nice. In this situation a blind invite would have accomplished what I was trying to do. That or I could have just been a ***** and killed the mob on my own and made the other douchebag wait for the timer.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By quest hub, do you mean at a safe village? I'd agree that blind invites there are rude. But a quest location, that's something else. If you are just standing idle at the entrance of a Heroic, why would you be surprised at blind invites? Any other place than the actual quest location, I think it's rude to blind invite for it. Blind Invites should never involve having to travel away from the current location. That's when asking is a must.

Has it occurred to you that sometimes a blind invite isn't because someone needs your help, but because they think it would simply be faster with 2 people and they're offering to make it faster for both of you? Or maybe they think you need help and they're offering to help you?

I never blind invite if I'm the one who needs help, I'll ask first. Half the time, the other person realizes I need help and offers with a blind invite. Not that SWTOR has had any times where I've needed to do this. It's all very soloable. It's my experience with other MMOs that I'm mostly drawing upon for this topic.

of course it has occured to me that the person is merely trying to pool efforts and complete a mutually beneficial objective. But this happens EVERYWHERE. Whether I am near a quest hub or not. I don't know why its so hard to understand that some people may not be at the same STAGE of questing. Asking is such an absurdly easy solution. Is it really a big deal to just ask?

ROFL this is typical

all it explains is that I am expressing my opinion and POLITELY asking people to not be insulting.

flagged and ignored.

If your first reaction is to flag someones post for expressing their opinion that is counter to yours maybe the forums are not the place for you.

We don't need children in this community going around with their hands on their ears screaming " I CANT HEAR YOU I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALALA"

Yup after reading every post in this thread that's exactly how I see her. If someone disagrees with her she either ignores the post or passes them off as being rude.

Last night I was doing a quest on Taris that involved me killing an elite that had a 5 minute respawn timer. How do I know it had a 5 minute respawn timer? Because I was standing in front of the elite reloading my ammo when a I notice a shadow running up to us. I quickly whisper him if he needs "mob name here" for the quest. He then buffs him self and tags and kills the mob with out even responding to my tell. I'm then left standing there like a moron for trying to be nice. In this situation a blind invite would have accomplished what I was trying to do. That or I could have just been a ***** and killed the mob on my own and made the other douchebag wait for the timer.

ROFL, I have respectfully disagreed with several people. But you have made up your mind. Whatever. I ignored an obvious troll.

Nice xD and fortunately I can see that reasonable and mature people far out number the children.

For me, depends on the situation.

If we're all standing around waiting on a spawn that we have to kill, just invite me already. I've had several groups that have formed, killed the mob and disbanded without so much as a word.

If I'm out questing in the world and you want me to join your FP, or you need a hand with something and your randomly working your way down the who list, then ask me first.

Yes, I agree, if its obvious were going for the same spawn then, ill accept.

if were out and about and you want to team, ask, I will more than likely say yes, if we are doing the same quests, it makes my life easier.

ROFL, I have respectfully disagreed with several people. But you have made up your mind. Whatever. I ignored an obvious troll.

Nice xD and fortunately I can see that reasonable and mature people far out number the children.

I agree.

I think the children and immature folks are outnumber too. Most folks just go on their merrier way if blind invited to a group and they don't want to group. They probably won't hold grudges or rage on the forums about it.

And incidentally, I HAVE toggled auto-decline after today...didn't even know it was an option till my husband showed me. It cheeses me off that I have to and that people are so socially stunted that they can't be bothered to ASK first.

So you get so mad that you actually get high on drugs? Cheesing is not something to take lightly. Please don't make these drug references, there are kids on these forums!

The only time I will invite someone to a group that I haven't previously spoken with, or aren't in my guild is if, for example, we're both entering into an area that requires "Kill x amount of baddies." or something similar.

Since we obviously both are completing that bonus quest, I will invite so that we can double up on the kills and clear the area quicker. And then from there if, say, we each have a class quest or something that needs to be done in that area, I'll offer to help them out if they do the same for me.

Sometimes they'll accept and we'll do it, sometimes they decline, which is fine.

I just find it convenient in those situations to be grouped up.

But randomly finding someone by going /who and inviting just because you need help is kinda silly and very lazy. If I need someone to help me with a Heroic, I'll either ask in General chat, or ask my guildies.

If your first reaction is to flag someones post for expressing their opinion that is counter to yours maybe the forums are not the place for you.

We don't need children in this community going around with their hands on their ears screaming " I CANT HEAR YOU I CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALALA"

*sigh* I really do want to give people the benefit of the doubt. But when someone comes to a thread I started only to draw attention to themselves and insult people, adding NOTHING to the discussion, then yes, I will flag them.

You haven't read all of my replies. And also, this guy has been obviously trolling from his first post. And by the tone of your posts, you clearly haven't read all I've said on the thread. I have no problem accepting mass invites if it means killing an Elite mob that eveeryone needs. You are so set on being unpleasant and passively insulting me that you fail to notice that I happen to agree with you.

So you can continue to be close minded and refuse to see when you are wrong. I'm quite comfortable using the forums. Trolls and people who don't know how to pleasantly dialogue with someone with whom they disagree are the ones who have the problem. Thank you anyway for your opinion.

And actually, the rules say to flag people who are specifically trying to start trouble and who are insulting. That's why I did so with the other poster.

I would have thought that the person who was rude enough not to wait for the person who was already camping the spawn to tag 1st (which since the dawn of MMOs has been the unwritten rule of politeness) AND ignored a whisper I would assume that they would have ignored a group invite as well.

KSing is as bad a Ninja looting, such a player would already be on my blocked list. I actually agree with the OP a community is built on communication, which means chatting, talking, polite requests and discussions.

If I am grouped with someone and they say absolutely nothing during that entire time, discussing not even tactics and objectives then I may as well be playing with my companion out and talking to my guild.

For me, depends on the situation.

If we're all standing around waiting on a spawn that we have to kill, just invite me already. I've had several groups that have formed, killed the mob and disbanded without so much as a word.

If I'm out questing in the world and you want me to join your FP, or you need a hand with something and your randomly working your way down the who list, then ask me first.

^ This.

If the objective is clear for people that are in each other's direct vicinity, no need to talk before an invite. Every other time, please let me know what you want.

Stop trying to make this thread unpleasant with your insults and read what has been said.

I already SAID I am ok with invite spam if EVERYONE in area is waiting for elite boss.

Assumptions are a big contributing factor to the ugliness in the community.

How am I making the thread unpleasant? I just made a general comment about how I handle situations like this, that was relevant to the topic at hand. It wasn't even directed at anyone in particular. If I wanted to be insulting to someone; I would have quoted them first.

From what I have seen so far; The only one making this thread unpleasant is you, and all your pissy responses to people who didn't bother to read every single post on this thread.

How am I making the thread unpleasant? I just made a general comment about how I handle situations like this, that was relevant to the topic at hand. It wasn't even directed at anyone in particular. If I wanted to be insulting to someone; I would have quoted them first.

From what I have seen so far; The only one making this thread unpleasant is you, and all your pissy responses to people who didn't bother to read every single post on this thread.

It's not really a long thread and a lot of the comments that are disagreeing with the OP tend to be taking the OP completely out of context and digging at her for things she never said.

It is a matter of being polite. I always find the time to send at least a short line to any person that I am inviting into party. Unless they asked for invite themselves, that is...

Exactly, even a whisper of "group for mob?" sent simultaneously with the invite doesn't take more than a split second.

I was doing that heroic +2 on Ilum alone, guy approached me, invited without question and I accepted him in group.

Quest was over before I knew it, I thank him, he thanked me and we went our ways.

Then again, when I invite someone who's doing those heroics alone they just decline and then I'm the rude one for inviting without asking?

I bet you're one of those people who are too arrogant and proud to be in a group with a person who didn't beg for the presence of your greatness in their vicinity.

Cheers

you've made an assumption about me and you've missed the point. :(

I will say it again. If that person declines your invite, then they clearly don't wish to party at that time. Nothing more or less. If you consider them rude for declining, then that is a problem you have and not them. I personally find it rude to invite someone without qualification....especially if it's not clear where either player is in the questing process. Again, a simple whisper goes a long way.

Your hatefulness is disturbing. I really am curious why you are directing this attitude toward me when I have a different opinion of what is polite. Many of you seem to fall into the trap of assuming that I am trying FOIST my values on you. It is my opinion, nothing more....it also happens to be the same opinion the majority of the posters on this thread share.

*shrug*

*sigh*

pissy responses>? wow. ok, maybe I should give up trying to foster a discussion on any topic. If you say something rude, please expect the person you are being rude to to at least defend themselves.

So you get so mad that you actually get high on drugs? Cheesing is not something to take lightly. Please don't make these drug references, there are kids on these forums!

didn't know it was a drug reference. sorry >.<

Wow, really?

For me group invite = offer to group. If one doesn't want to group with me he will just decline and move on. I will not bother him again.

Actually yes, I'm the same as the OP. When I'm doing something other than waiting/looking for a group an invite appearing in the middle of my screen is as annoying as an update stealing my cursor while I'm working in word or excel.

Before you send me an invite I want to know what you intend or want to do (some times it's obvious, like if we are camping a spawn point and requires no conversation). If I get a random invite and I have no idea what the objective of the group is (which heroic or flashpoint) then I never accept. I don't accept and then ask "what are we doing?" I want to know before hand or I don't group.

you've made an assumption about me and you've missed the point. :(

I will say it again. If that person declines your invite, then they clearly don't wish to party at that time. Nothing more or less. If you consider them rude for declining, then that is a problem you have and not them. I personally find it rude to invite someone without qualification....especially if it's not clear where either player is in the questing process. Again, a simple whisper goes a long way.

Your hatefulness is disturbing. I really am curious why you are directing this attitude toward me when I have a different opinion of what is polite. Many of you seem to fall into the trap of assuming that I am trying FOIST my values on you. It is my opinion, nothing more....it also happens to be the same opinion the majority of the posters on this thread share.

*shrug*

You know why a person invites you in party and you refuse because he didn't ask first?

Now THAT'S rude, the invite was totally fine.

If the invite happens again right after the first one was declined, then the person inviting is being rude and I approve your second decline.

Don't decline invites if you can see why the invite occurred. And if you insist on being polite then why don't YOU send a message saying something like "I'm not in a mood for grouping atm" or "I'd like to finish this one alone for more exp".

You just decline, ignore and claim that the other guy was rude because he didn't ask.

Oh please

Wow, really?

For me group invite = offer to group. If one doesn't want to group with me he will just decline and move on. I will not bother him again.

Well, when that same person is spamming general for LFM and then I get an invite from that person, I find that annoying. Clearly, if I wished to group at that time, I would have told him upon seeing his LFM notice in chat. If he can be bothered to spam chat, he can be bothered to at least ask first before inviting.

This is my opinion. I am not insisting that everyone change their way of doing things. I am simply opening a discussion on this topic because clearly, based on responses, this same thing annoys others as well.