The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Space bar was a mistake.

BCBull

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR, a story driven mmo. Why would there be such a quick easy way to skip the story?!

I'm just getting into the PvE scene, and every flash point group I enter I see things like, SPACEBAWABA, SPACEBAR!!!!, HIT THE SPACE.

So much time was put into the story, and it can be argued that the story is what sets SWTOR apart from all mmorpgs. The game was built around the "4th pillar" (story) of gaming. The change of pace was so refreshing the first week. I was able to slow down and really enjoy the immersion.

Space bar should be disabled in flash points for the sake of all players that come in the future. Let them experience the truly epic immersion I had my first couple weeks.

Sorry but after seeing the same cut scene 3 or 4 times over, I am thankful that I have a space bar.

Because no one wants to pay a monthly fee for a story. Everyone wants to get to end game so they can get geared up and run hardmodes and pvp. No matter how bad bw wants the game to be an mmo focused on story the consumer will always want the rewarding aspects of an mmo. Tbh if your playing an mmo for the story and it's not f2p than why not just go buy an rpg. The stories of most of the classes really fall off after chapter 1 anyway.

Speak for yourself. Personally I find the end game (hard modes, PVP, dailies) the least interesting of the entire game.

It's not like it's a huge issue anyway, most Flashpoints are just kill, kill, kill with maybe a choice in there. I wish all of them were like Essles/Black Talon.

I have to believe the OP isn't above level 20 yet.

Why level 20? Because the second you get high enough to do Athiss, there are never more than a handful of lines of dialogue in flashpoints. Ever.

So get past level 20, then you won't have that problem, because there's no dialogue to sit through to begin with.

Level 50 BH, and like 4 level 25s.

The extra dialog takes what 5-8 mins? Where are you going? What's the rush?

There's no rush, it's just completely boring after the first or second time.

Why should they impose your opinion on everyone when as it is you have options?

Edited by DecimaPoiuytr

I don't need to sit there for 10 minutes while someone tells me to go kill 15 spaceboars for the hundredth time.

Brevity is the soul of wit. This sums up everything that is wrong with shoehorning a "story" into an MMO context. There is no story or context that makes this interesting. PERIOD.

It's made interesting by progression of the character through experience and gear.

But if you do 20 or 30 quests in a day, suddenly 5-8 minutes translates into 2-4 hours of sitting their like a schlub listening to mediocre voice acting and bad animation telling you to do **** that by and large you don't care about and never will. Even if these dialogs were delivered by Brian Blessed and Sir Laurence Oliver you just don't care, especially past the first time.

Edited by krameriffic

Brevity is the soul of wit. This sums up everything that is wrong with shoehorning a "story" into an MMO context. There is no story or context that makes this interesting. PERIOD.

It's made interesting by progression of the character through experience and gear.

Go play a FPS. RPG is not for you.

Look under the player portraits on the left. You'll see little "....." next to the portraits. When a number appears instead of the "....." that means they answered and are waiting. If 1 person is sitting with "...." while everyone else has a number, we know who it is.

Nobody can select an answer until the dialogue is over. You do not see the dialogue choices, you only see "Waiting for other players...". Therefore all players have "..." next to their portraits and nobody has numbers.

The very first time i do a quest, i listen. After that, i space bar through so i don't waste time. The story to this game is great. I love it, but don't you dare BS me and say you sit there and listen/read to every quest on all your characters.

On a new alt, i will listen to my class' responses and reactions and whatnot, but I don't believe a single person when they say they sit there and listen to all of it on every character.

Go play a FPS. RPG is not for you.

You don't understand what I'm saying. The limited scope of an RPG is what makes the story and sidequests interesting. They don't have to have 500 hours of mass-produced, samey, uninteresting content designed for the sole purpose of giving the player SOMETHING to do to fill in the gaps of leveling. In a true cRPG, each and every sidequest should be measured, well thought out, and rewarding. It should have a unique story and characters with interesting gameplay built into it.

I am not talking about the main storyline for each class. Those have some reasonably interesting dilemmas and ideas floating around in them, but they constitute a minority of the experience while leveling in SWTOR. The majority of the experience is pointless filler sidequests with no purpose other than to fill in the leveling gaps. The shining moments of the game are few and far between because of the compromise between MMO and cRPG.

But if you do 20 or 30 quests in a day, suddenly 5-8 minutes translates into 2-4 hours of sitting their like a schlub listening to mediocre voice acting and bad animation telling you to do **** that by and large you don't care about and never will. Even if these dialogs were delivered by Brian Blessed and Sir Laurence Oliver you just don't care, especially past the first time.

Why are you even playing then? Why not play WoW and just read your quests, and gogogo through dungeons?

I have to believe the OP isn't above level 20 yet.

Why level 20? Because the second you get high enough to do Athiss, there are never more than a handful of lines of dialogue in flashpoints. Ever.

So get past level 20, then you won't have that problem, because there's no dialogue to sit through to begin with.

Actually, that is incorrect claim. Black Talon HC has the same conversations as the original Black Talon for lvl 10 and there are other FPs (like Boarding Party) that also have several conversations.

Edited by Jedlosson

Why are you even playing then? Why not play WoW and just read your quests, and gogogo through dungeons?

Way to ignore the core point of my post in order to troll some more about WoW fanboyism. Everybody on this forum is such a colossal moron I don't even know why I bother making intelligent analogies and points about things in an effort to convince them of their flawed logic and lack of common sense.

Immersion. This is not WoW, why do people fight so damn hard to make it that.

Well, FOR YOU "immersion" means listening to the same story over and over and over again; you already know whats going on, whats going to happen, etc.

Why cant you understand its not the same for everyone?

FOR ME, immersion isnt about listening to the same Black Talon story 30 times a month.

Look, I'm all for stories in my MMO, and I enjoy the voice acting sometimes.

Other times I just want to get my quest and keep moving.

While watching the cutscenes is nice, I am alll for the option of skipping past them.

It it was mandatory to sit through all those without an option to skip, I would have never subscribed to this game, and I'm very sure I'm in the majority there.

Way to ignore the core point of my post in order to troll some more about WoW fanboyism. Everybody on this forum is such a colossal moron I don't even know why I bother making intelligent analogies and points about things in an effort to convince them of their flawed logic and lack of common sense.

Simple question geez... I don't share you opinion. There is no rush, sit back and enjoy. Laugh a little, there will be plenty of time for stressing and rushing in the future.

Look, I'm all for stories in my MMO, and I enjoy the voice acting sometimes.

Other times I just want to get my quest and keep moving.

While watching the cutscenes is nice, I am alll for the option of skipping past them.

It it was mandatory to sit through all those without an option to skip, I would have never subscribed to this game, and I'm very sure I'm in the majority there.

You are not speaking for the majority, you are speaking for yourself. Unsub? because you have to sit through 5 mins of dialog? Where are you going? The next FP will be there when you are done I promise.

Edited by BCBull

Some of us read very quickly though :) and as absolutely amazing that the voice acting is (which really adds some life to the missions and interactions etc) if you're in a rush etc you might not wanna listen to it all.

I admit it sucks that some people don't care whatsoever for it and skip everything. But end of the day to each their own - we have the option to enjoy it and thats fine