The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP - How it is ...deal with it

Fainflinnn

Expertise has nothing to do with gear disparity, it was just an example to show that the underlying problem is gear, not expertise. Basically stating that if you remove expertise, you don't solve your issue.

EDIT:

For that reason you cannot remove expertise WITHOUT removing gear from PvP all together or preventing "non-pvp" gear in PvP.

Funny how forums devolve to, you didn't read what I said, no you!

I've read your posts, I'll keep it short because this issue isn't only of yours and mine.

Expertise increases healing done, damage, and reduces damage. no other stat in this game balls out of control like that.

You yourself stated removal of expertise gear would only mean that top tier PvPers (with the gear to prove it) would only heal for less, take more dmg, and deal less dmg (BUT STILL OWN as you say)

As long as when taking expertise out, battlemaster gear's remaining stats are balanced COMPETITIVELY with top tier raid gear then all I see is an ADDITION of players making more PvP and more fun.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read about some of the overhaul Rift continues to do to try to bring it's dead PvP back to life. TLDR: people don't like repeatedly getting destroyed in PvP. They will not pay their dues. They will just stop doing that type of PvP.

It does not matter how justified someone thinks their rewards/advantages are. You can't PvP if you don't have people to PvP against.

^^

What you are saying is exactly what I keep saying too.

And people will eventually just unsub and then there's noone left, no pvp at all, and no more game.

2nd edit: @ Elathan (butcher with names sry)

I tend to lean more on your side of the argument but not every DISCUSSION on a FORUM is about/nor made by whining kids or people that have no lives.

I hate it when developers crack and just nerf this that (even though I still own with my smuggler, quote me im elite haha) or drastic overhauls that neglects big parts of the playerbase. Let's avoid sweeping generalizations about who or what generation is to blame for whatever ruined anything.

Let's start with this post and any all subsequent posts to attempt ignore those that complain aimlessly complain OR ATTEMPT to illustrate the facts if you see differently.

By calling a generation of people whining babies or that certain mmoers are of a gilded age and everything is on a platter, it only putting you in the same category

complaints about complainers

tldy ---stay positive and you will see positivity around you

not sure when I said "whining babies" but if I did, I didn't mean to, do you think only children have consoles? are you aware of how old games consoles are? you seem to be attempting to come across as a person of reason without actually understanding what your replying too and when exactly have I said that these people have no lives? DON'T YOU DARE put words like that in my mouth just because your incapable of understanding my point.

The facts are that Rpg's and MMO's used to be time consuming games full of mystery, achievement, hard work and fun and that now they are finished within a week and the only difference between now and then is a generation of console users that get instant gratification from their games have led what used to be a small hardcore fan base style of game into a mainstream money maker, then that's exactly what's happened there are no "sweeping generalizations" to be made anyone with a shred of interest in how games have developed over the years and are not so pompous as to run of an edit without actually understanding someone's post.

back to pvp its people and their different views that is the problem with games, its people wanting to be the best all the time for as little as possible while the rest of us have to get on with trying to enjoy a battle in the middle of it all.

I've read your posts, I'll keep it short because this issue isn't only of yours and mine.

Expertise increases healing done, damage, and reduces damage. no other stat in this game balls out of control like that.

You yourself stated removal of expertise gear would only mean that top tier PvPers (with the gear to prove it) would only heal for less, take more dmg, and deal less dmg (BUT STILL OWN as you say)

As long as when taking expertise out, battlemaster gear's remaining stats are balanced COMPETITIVELY with top tier raid gear then all I see is an ADDITION of players making more PvP and more fun.

the point he is making is that on either side the accomplishment is deminished to the point where,

if there is no experties, then you could pvp really hard and then get into any raid and do fine (the gear is good enough you can do that anyway right?)

and vise versa for people who pve and can own people in pvp even tho they took no time to grind pvp.

gear is the worst system for pvp.

saying that however i dont really care the pvp is still fun

I reckon most good pvper's will say a game like guild wars, why do I think that? because it truly is a level playing field, the only difference between player A and B is their own choices, everyone has the same options to choose from be it stats or gear or what skills are on your bar and the fight is all about the application of these skills, that's where you find out who is who, theres no player B who can't really play but has far better gear camping new level 20's there, the players who can't really play in a game like gw don't play pvp for very long because they are not very good at it.

But even guild wars has its problems its by no means an ideal system, it's prone to groups of folk who think they are "elite" just because it says so on their 75k armour and this week's "BEST EVER BUILD" and anyone who doesn't use it is a "NOOB LOLZ" or some such it's hard for new players that are good to get involved in the pvp scene there because too many people think they know it all and forgot what it was like for them when they just installed the game, new players feel unable to ask questions about the game due to the tiade of abuse that follows, theres probably a lot of people playing SWTOR right now who are frightened to ask for advice.

Remove a stat? why? people will find something else to complain about, THAT is the problem right there, it's not the games, its the people who are playing them, the only fault that games companies have is to pander to ever whim of the console generation, who want maximum reward for minimum effort, the vocal minority of player B's, who yesterday were grinding new guys and today being camped by the same people who remembered yesterday, these people complain the loudest and in the grand scheme of things are the least relevant, yet for some reason nearly every MMO I've played has been ruined by the company listening to these fools who all have the same argument "I went into PVP and got killed, It's not fair"

Bottom line is if you join pvp there is a chance your toon might lose his health, if your the sort of person who can't handle that without freaking out then PVP is not the place for you.

The first few days of pvp here was fine, teams full of good players trying their best to achieve the objectives, slowly but surely it seems that a lot of player B's have started playing now, there was a guy earlier done nothing but talk in the ops chat, died like 14 times kept throwing themselves at the middle turret like he was AI and at the end when the team lost he says "You all epic fail" like it was someone else's fault, very next battleground the team does well and he thinks its all because of him.

THAT is the problem with pvp, people, plain and simple Short of getting Bioware to go round houses and kill all the people that don't agree with your particular view of things, what exactly do people expect them to do? I for one do not want to play an mmo that as soon as you log in you get an I win button in the mail and a full set of purple items just for talking to the first npc that I've seen.

Personally I've had better battles with poor geared players that are at least trying to play the game on my team than I have had with max level, best gear possible players running around trying to get the highest on the kill count, I've seen low leveled healers win the game for the team by the proper application of what skills they did have rather than whining about what things they don't have.

Guy yesterday gave me a hard time for not passing the ball in huttball even though I was under the effects of crowd control and claimed I was "seeking glory" when I pointed out to them that if they had done something other than stand on the goal line shouting "PASS PASS" in the chat, something like use their sin's crowd control on the people who where running at me as I would have done then I wouldn't have been under the effects of cc and able to pass or score, they said sorry and left the team.

Too many whining people that expect everything to go their own way, too many idiots that think of themselves as invincible and elite until someone comes along and hands their head to them.

Game companies can't do a thing about people who play games, it's an unfortunate thing for those of us who couldn't care what colour your gear was, we just like good playing.

win and quoting so people read this again

Everything you say is fine except the last part. You are making an assumption that might or might not be true. It's like a wicked triangle.

In order for Battlemaster gear's remaining stats to be balanced competitively with top tier raid you, you remain at a state of disparity equal to what exists now. Thus you remove Expertise and result in no net gain/loss in the game as far as the issue is concerned.

You could argue in general gear is too strong for battlemasters, and that might be fair, but it's not expertise, it's the gear.

My guess is if you removed expertise you'd need to buff the other stats to make it equal to PvE raid gear, thus having even more powerful PvP gear and same if not bigger disparity.

I reckon most good pvper's will say a game like guild wars, why do I think that? because it truly is a level playing field, the only difference between player A and B is their own choices, everyone has the same options to choose from be it stats or gear or what skills are on your bar and the fight is all about the application of these skills, that's where you find out who is who, theres no player B who can't really play but has far better gear camping new level 20's there, the players who can't really play in a game like gw don't play pvp for very long because they are not very good at it.

But even guild wars has its problems its by no means an ideal system, it's prone to groups of folk who think they are "elite" just because it says so on their 75k armour and this week's "BEST EVER BUILD" and anyone who doesn't use it is a "NOOB LOLZ" or some such it's hard for new players that are good to get involved in the pvp scene there because too many people think they know it all and forgot what it was like for them when they just installed the game, new players feel unable to ask questions about the game due to the tiade of abuse that follows, theres probably a lot of people playing SWTOR right now who are frightened to ask for advice.

Remove a stat? why? people will find something else to complain about, THAT is the problem right there, it's not the games, its the people who are playing them, the only fault that games companies have is to pander to ever whim of the console generation, who want maximum reward for minimum effort, the vocal minority of player B's, who yesterday were grinding new guys and today being camped by the same people who remembered yesterday, these people complain the loudest and in the grand scheme of things are the least relevant, yet for some reason nearly every MMO I've played has been ruined by the company listening to these fools who all have the same argument "I went into PVP and got killed, It's not fair"

Bottom line is if you join pvp there is a chance your toon might lose his health, if your the sort of person who can't handle that without freaking out then PVP is not the place for you.

The first few days of pvp here was fine, teams full of good players trying their best to achieve the objectives, slowly but surely it seems that a lot of player B's have started playing now, there was a guy earlier done nothing but talk in the ops chat, died like 14 times kept throwing themselves at the middle turret like he was AI and at the end when the team lost he says "You all epic fail" like it was someone else's fault, very next battleground the team does well and he thinks its all because of him.

THAT is the problem with pvp, people, plain and simple Short of getting Bioware to go round houses and kill all the people that don't agree with your particular view of things, what exactly do people expect them to do? I for one do not want to play an mmo that as soon as you log in you get an I win button in the mail and a full set of purple items just for talking to the first npc that I've seen.

Personally I've had better battles with poor geared players that are at least trying to play the game on my team than I have had with max level, best gear possible players running around trying to get the highest on the kill count, I've seen low leveled healers win the game for the team by the proper application of what skills they did have rather than whining about what things they don't have.

Guy yesterday gave me a hard time for not passing the ball in huttball even though I was under the effects of crowd control and claimed I was "seeking glory" when I pointed out to them that if they had done something other than stand on the goal line shouting "PASS PASS" in the chat, something like use their sin's crowd control on the people who where running at me as I would have done then I wouldn't have been under the effects of cc and able to pass or score, they said sorry and left the team.

Too many whining people that expect everything to go their own way, too many idiots that think of themselves as invincible and elite until someone comes along and hands their head to them.

Game companies can't do a thing about people who play games, it's an unfortunate thing for those of us who couldn't care what colour your gear was, we just like good playing.

i have no experience with guild wars as i stayed dominating WoW for 7 years....but most of what you are saying is fact. im tired of people complaining about this and that, i mean anyone who complains about "nerf" just wants to play the game there own way instead of adapting.......

trust me people right now the game isnt perfect but just **** and play it......there is no data for nerfs yet, i mean "the ability bug/delay" still exists......the game cant even begin to become balanced until these factors are controlled. you dont need to cry for nerfs, the game will develop, the pro players will compete, and then data and arguements will be brought up to light......

the harsh reality is that you just straight up suck

Their gear should be the same, the outcome of a fight should be largely based on the skill of the 2 players.

Player B could have a higher pvp rank, a different looking uniform (exclusive skins), and some pvp abilities (2nd stun breaker, an in combat heal, bubble etc). All these are better than giving player B an inherent and extremely noticable step up purely off his gear.

Make it so winning advances rank and losing decreases it and (firstly most ******* would quit) then player A and player B might even be the same rank ;)

So dumb..

Lets make it so I can never be stunned, heal, and bubble myself when vsing another player while they can't.

So what you're saying is, those that have no life and can sit all day and play will always have the advantage over those who have a life and responsibilities and can not dedicate 200 hours a week (there arent even 200 hours in a week, but I am using your logic). Ok, so in 6 months the game will be Free To Play and filled with pimply faced 13 years olds, cause all the mature players with responsibilities and lives will have unsubbed cause we really don't want to deal with all the trolls who think like this, and use terms like pwned and noob to describe those who do have lives out side of gaming.

Then this game will truly be like WoW.

Wonderful.

Edit: To use this as an example. I play Battlefield 3. Of course there are those that play 16 hours a day, but I can't. Although since I am a skilled FPS player I can hold my own against these folks regardless of the fact that I play maybe 6 hours a week. So you see, skill does not equate to time played.

I'm actually ok with people who spend all day in game having something of an advantage with gear or whatever cause they spent the time. But the problem with this game is the advantage is too great. The pvp epics are not only good, but the expertise makes it too good compared to those without it.

And the way the pvp system is setup, where you match geared premades vs pugs, you really can't catch up. The premades dont' want to fight premades cause because its a longer game. They only want quick wins for valor and commendations cause they are all going for BM gear.

There needs to be a matching system in the queueing for premade vs premade , just like how WoW implemented. But they can put in some incentive for people to want to take that queue such as ranking or more valor or commendations for that queue...i dont know...just thinking out loud.

But the rest of the playerbase needs a way to be able to catch up to at least be able to fight back. From what most have experienced, you can't fight back and you can't hope to win. So you just dont' queue anymore. And eventually playing an alt will get stale and its time to unsub.

I'm probably the typical person, where I'm waiting to see what happens cause I'm frustrated with pvp now. I take 25+ games to get my 3 wins in cause it seems like its all premade teams. When I queueu, I hope to hell that I end up in a pug vs pug game where even if I lose the game, I actually have fun.

If the game stays how it is, then whatever, its not my call, but its also safe to say that when the next big game comes out, I'll decide which might be more fun and go to that. And I'm not that atypical. When D3 is launched, mark my words, this game will take a hit esp since so many have been saying they are not having fun anymore. So those left can expect even longer queues and fewer people in game. I have a feeling alot of republic will leave too, making the faction imbalance much worse than it is now.

The only way true pvp will be balanced means there will be very few subscribers and a small community. Look at Shadowbane. Best PvP type of game. Your (guild) risk is your city. Gear plays no advantage. Leveling is simply to get stat points/skills.

You can wreck people and take their items. You can burn their vendor to the ground. You can also play with about 300 people at once only. The truth is that most people are real scared of losing what they have virtually, perhaps because they don't have much else in real life besides what they have virtually.

That won't ever change, and the expertise stat was to appease the casual PvPers (like resilience). It is to say "here is a stat that will help you pvp better than a pve'er. It won't change unless the system is changed. On top of this, I love how people throw around the words "world PvP." Just because you kill someone outside of a warzone, does world pvp it make. It's reward driven, faction based PvP. See: ilum. Before kills gave valor, no one did.

Edited by adrenalinee

The reason I "Attack" you (even though I didn't say anything about you in this post) is 'cause you guys attack others.

There is a reason the resilience went into WoW and it isn't because of what the other guy was saying about keeping people alive. That was a side effect of it. If you go into the history of WoW and look at the REAL REASON why Resilience went into it is because too many players were rocking the best Raid Gear and destroying everybody in PvP. Thus it became required to have the best Raid Gear (which isn't easy and requires a full guild) to compete "fairly" in PvP. Thus they added Expertise, which made it so PvP gear was better for PvP than PvE gear.

Now I quote WoW because that's where Expertise ultimately came from and I am giving you the reason. It's a very legit reason, because if you took it out guess what would happen. People who have over "200 hours in a week" to both PvP grind and PvE grind would have a full set of Rakata gear and OWN UP SHOP IN PvP and we'd be begging for Expertise to come back in.

Someone else made a decent point in this thread though it's all subjective. You could tone down Expertise so that it doesn't do so much, like only have increased survivability. The issue here is you have to balance it so that PvE gear doesn't become minutely better than PvP gear. So thus, expertise has to remain at least as beneficial as to make it better in PvP than PvE gear.

All I was saying is that Expertise is not the issue, so stop saying it is. It's gear disparities in PvP in general. I personally don't think it's a big deal because after x amount of time I'll be the same gear as everyone else, but that's just me.

The whole max geared raid toons are destroying people in pvp was not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. I played a night elf hunter in vanilla wow and did nothing but battle grounds / any open world pvp I could find and some dungens... I pvp'd in mostly dungeon blues and auction house purples. I did just fine, every now and then I would get blown up but it was not on a daily basis. Keep in mind that one reason this was not that big of an issue was WoW had larger battle grounds and one really large battle ground in Alterac Valley a 40 vs 40 map. In any particular AV match you may have 15 people decked to the nines in raid gear but most people were geared up just like you thus keeping things on a more even level. Where the issues were more of a problem was in Warsong Gulch which was a 10 v 10 map thus making it easy to get matched up against a premade in full raid gear. Swtor went the small scale warzone route so the gear gap is much more noticeable by the average player.

Edited by Treebyrn

Their gear should be the same, the outcome of a fight should be largely based on the skill of the 2 players.

Player B could have a higher pvp rank, a different looking uniform (exclusive skins), and some pvp abilities (2nd stun breaker, an in combat heal, bubble etc). All these are better than giving player B an inherent and extremely noticable step up purely off his gear.

Make it so winning advances rank and losing decreases it and (firstly most ******* would quit) then player A and player B might even be the same rank ;)

Why do you care, didn't you unsubb?

i have no experience with guild wars as i stayed dominating WoW for 7 years....but most of what you are saying is fact. im tired of people complaining about this and that, i mean anyone who complains about "nerf" just wants to play the game there own way instead of adapting.......

trust me people right now the game isnt perfect but just **** and play it......there is no data for nerfs yet, i mean "the ability bug/delay" still exists......the game cant even begin to become balanced until these factors are controlled. you dont need to cry for nerfs, the game will develop, the pro players will compete, and then data and arguements will be brought up to light......

the harsh reality is that you just straight up suck

But rather than think about what skills there are and how they can be used properly in a given situation people call for whatever class just killed them to be nerfed and that is the root of all of this discussion "This toon can kill my toon", I notice they don't spare any thought for the toons that they kill constantly, only complain about the ones they can't kill.

Wow was the same, people far too used to being the top dog in the lower scales then get to max and wonder why they can't two hit everyone and then its "Oh its gear, its this or that stat"

Games that are designed to progress players quickly so that in the end they haven't properly learned their class properly, remember vanilla wow? level 40 for first mount? my earlier point is yet again proven, the vocal minority of people who thought that level 40 was "too hard" an objective to reach for a reward got pandered too and now can get your first mount in an hour.

I remember it taking me ages to level my first 60 on wow, yet before I quit three level 85's alts in a week and was gearing them up, thats really not what I am after in an online game that requires a subscription, it used to be pvp gear on wow came from pvp and pve gear came from pve, they merged it then you had people who had never joined a battleground in their lives with the best pvp gear bought with their spare raid emblems, how on earth is that a fair system? again a result of the 'have not's' complaining about what they have not got, "I went into pvp in my raid gear and this guy killed me NERF RESILIENCE" "LET ME BUY THIS GEAR FOR NO EFFORT IN PVP" for example.

Doesnt matter your gear, stats, level, there is always something you can do to help your team in a pvp battle, more people need to think about what that might be.

Personally I prefer skill>time in game. Which usually translates to skill>gear (assuming a modest effort went in to it). This seems counter to most mmos these days though.

Broad generalizations...and I'm too lazy to read all the prior posts.....but whatever....

-people like shinies - look at who many go for most efficient leveling/gear grinding versus just enjoying the game/pvp

-along those lines look at all the complaints already starting about nothing to do at end game- seems most people don't like to pvp for just "fun"...they always want a carrot.

-"fun" for the a large portion of the pop is playing with an advantage - if this were not true there would be no such phenomenon as FOTM classes in mmos.

-most people aren't good at PVP and need the crutch of gear to help their epeen :)

-all of this boils down to time=better gear=advantage.....gives the larger player base what they want = more $ to BW and keeps people logged in and grinding.

I would love it if expertise was removed, but prolly best we can hope for is narrowing of gear divide gap. I never played GW, but I'm certainly intrigued by GW2 pvp premise and look forward to seeing how it progresses (and also how PvP in swtor is tweaked as well)

I replied to someone complaining about expertise in another thread and wanted to repost it here.

First of all expertise is the stat that is rewarded on the gear of a PvP player...(ya i know you know this ).... More TIME you sink in the more of it you get.

Uhm, I call ********. All level 50 PvP gear is attained by a RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR, aka a bloody lottery. That isn't rewarding you for the time you've spent whatsoever, and it's simply the wrong system to work with.

This pvp doesn't reward time sunk into the system. It rewards...well it doesn't reward anything. Be in a match when it ends and you get commendations. Spend commendations on bags and you might get an item, or you might not. Someone who plays 100 games, wins 98 of them, and collects 130 medals could receive no gear while someone who afks in 50 matches and wins enough to complete daily/weekly could get 4 or 5 pieces of gear in a day.

This pvp doesn't reward time sunk into the system. It rewards...well it doesn't reward anything. Be in a match when it ends and you get commendations. Spend commendations on bags and you might get an item, or you might not. Someone who plays 100 games, wins 98 of them, and collects 130 medals could receive no gear while someone who afks in 50 matches and wins enough to complete daily/weekly could get 4 or 5 pieces of gear in a day.

This, OP. THIS. Or are you too ignorant to realize that's how the game works?

I'm frustrated that the guy who took the time to acquire pvp gear...while I went on pve raids- is better than me in pvp.

This should be fixed...Raiders/Crafters are so much better than anyone who ever pvp's and should be treated as such even when they only pvp once in a blue moon- they should win.

...always

Skill>Gear...and it is just completely ridiculous that I have to spend a whole 9hrs pvp'ing to compete with people who have spent a whole month doing the same thing. Way way too idiotic...the idea of "having to lower myself" to pvp (something that I can't even spend a few hours to do)....although I am such a fanatic about pvp and have mad skilz so should always WIN in mmo's!

This, OP. THIS. Or are you too ignorant to realize that's how the game works?

where does the currency come from for these bags? or are you too ignorant too realize that's how the game works?

The reward system is seriously flawed to be sure but it is a pvp reward system and thats not what the OP is getting at, Do you think the players who happened to be lucky with their bags have had an unfair advantage over you? no they have the exact same chance as you have, I agree this needs to be changed but please read what your saying.

there are people out there probably opened hundreds of bags for their loot, thought about that? The op is geting at people complaining about the expertise stat if your complaint is about the loot system then your on the wrong thread and your having a go at someone for a totally unrelated topic, well done you.

He's right the more time you put into pvp the more currency that you have to open bags, what part of this are you having difficulty with? just because your not getting the items you want out said bags is no reason to start mouthing off at someone who's talking about an in game attribute and there are even people here to prove my earlier point, people just like to complain, they don't even know what they are supposed to be complaining about, any little sense of injustice leads to people like I've just replied too, your the problem with pvp.

Edited by Ealthan

Uhm, I call ********. All level 50 PvP gear is attained by a RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR, aka a bloody lottery. That isn't rewarding you for the time you've spent whatsoever, and it's simply the wrong system to work with.

The RNG is not that terrible- someone else gets geared up all of one or two days before another...gads, the horror of it.

The only peeps that complain about Expertise, are the ones that don't have it. Endgame gear is so pathetically easy to obtain in this game, Expertise is the last thing people should be crying about. Not to mention that the percentage gap between T1 and T3 PvP gear is paper thin.

The only peeps that complain about Expertise, are the ones that don't have it. Endgame gear is so pathetically easy to obtain in this game, Expertise is the last thing people should be crying about. Not to mention that the percentage gap between T1 and T3 PvP gear is paper thin.

to the fella going on about sweeping generalizations earlier, please note. this is what one looks like because not everyone who doesn't have it is complaining about it.

but it is the last thing that people should be complaining about, how about getting the actual problems with the games fixed first before calling for nerfs?

This is clearly an issue. You have people who have bought 15 and 20 bags with no loot or the same piece of loot. It doesn't make sense. I could buy 5 bags and get 5 pieces of loot, but some else can open 4 times that with no results? It makes no sense.