If We Aren't *Allowed* To Use The High Res Textures...

Frostbird

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can Bioware still use them for advertising purposes in screen shots?

Have we heard any update on this one? Quite a few of us have very decent PCs and would love to be able to use the better graphics already built into the game.

It's their game, they're allowed to do whatever they wish with it. Misleading as it may be.

why do some games use movie quality CGI in their comercials

He's not talking about CGI movies.

Personally, I think it's time for there to be some truth in advertising laws aimed at virtual entertainment. Gonna advertise a game, it should be mandatory that all footage shown is ingame and with the same quality as the customer will receive.

Edited by Zorvan

I'd leave such accusations to the professionals. ;)

Not an accusation really, just something I think is very iffy. It reminds me of C&C Tiberian Sun, where the pics at the back of the box contained stuff not in the game at all.

It's like selling someone a sealed MTO computer that you say has an i7 inside, but when it arrives it's got a duo. And you can see the i7 in the case, but it won't let you connect. And on the box it clearly says 'i7'.

They should stop using those yummy textures in ads or allow us to choose whether we should use them or not.

Not an accusation really, just something I think is very iffy. It reminds me of C&C Tiberian Sun, where the pics at the back of the box contained stuff not in the game at all.

It's like selling someone a sealed MTO computer that you say has an i7 inside, but when it arrives it's got a duo. And you can see the i7 in the case, but it won't let you connect. And on the box it clearly says 'i7'.

They should stop using those yummy textures in ads or allow us to choose whether we should use them or not.

Yes if they sold you a computer advertised with an I7 and it came with something other than an I7 that would be false advertisement. But textures looking a little bit better in advertisements than you think your computer should be showing you is not.

The game looks great on my computer.

It's pretty blatant false advertising and it is, in fact, illegal.

There is this thing called a EULA that you Accepted. It's well written out and wordy but pretty much states in the end they can do what they want and anytime you have logged in you accept these terms. Good luck finding a lawyer that will go up against that.

Also, I'm pretty content with the graphics that I get. Mine look just like the ones that were advertised. In fact tonight I was on Voss just looking around at how beautiful and detailed everything was.

Yes if they sold you a computer advertised with an I7 and it came with something other than an I7 that would be false advertisement. But textures looking a little bit better in advertisements than you think your computer should be showing you is not.

The game looks great on my computer.

Take a look at the former thread about this. In Beta and in screenshots, you had *way* better textures available on some stuff, especially gear. Actually there are ways to briefly glitch the game out to see them still. But inexplicably Bioware stopped people from activating them in the final version (you could toggle them on, but they wouldn't show), and when questioned, altered the settings so they couldn't be selected at all.

Game does *not* look great by any means. Textures are muddy, shadows are *horribly* low res, effects are aged, water looks awful and armor/clothing is meh. Compared to...heck, WoW, it doesn't look great. Which is a pity.

It's pretty blatant false advertising and it is, in fact, illegal.

I've seen absolutely no evidence of any false advertising, to be honest. The stuff in their ads that I've found in-game is, in every case I've seen so far, taken from cutscenes and cinematics that actually do look like they do in the ads.

I'm not saying I've found all of them, but the ones I've found actually do look like the ones in their promotional stuff.

Not that I don't wish it looked better -- the game seems to be capable of it, based on beta. But false advertising? I think that's a huge stretch.

Edited by Pink_Saber

He's not talking about CGI movies.

Personally, I think it's time for there to be some truth in advertising laws aimed at virtual entertainment. Gonna advertise a game, it should be mandatory that all footage shown is ingame and with the same quality as the customer will receive.

obviously you missed my point. This game uses the high rez in their ads. Alot of games use CGI in their ads. So i fail to see what his complaint is beyond the fact he wants to complain.

obviously you missed my point. This game uses the high rez in their ads. Alot of games use CGI in their ads. So i fail to see what his complaint is beyond the fact he wants to complain.

Because companies don't post CGI in their ads and claim that it is ingame footage.

Imagine if you bought Crysis based on the gorgeous graphics on the back of the box and discovered that you were only allowed to choose the 'Low' setting. Or that it used the Doom engine.

Because companies don't post CGI in their ads and claim that it is ingame footage.

Imagine if you bought Crysis based on the gorgeous graphics on the back of the box and discovered that you were only allowed to choose the 'Low' setting. Or that it used the Doom engine.

Do you sue filmmakers for movie trailers that have scenes that aren't even in the movie?