People don't really like playing with other people

tmpearson

I'll try and keep this short.

I play an imp as of right now on a"standard" server.

-Chat is dead.

-People join pugs without saying a single word for the entire mission and then just leave.

-I finally run into another player somewhere in the world and they don't even acknowledge my existence.

-I throw buffs on players as I see them. I rarely receive buffs from other players.

-The only time someone takes interest in me is when they are snagging my mission objectives out from under me.

What happened to "community" in an MMO?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MMO communities were better when you were 'forced' to group. Since all leveling is super easy solo, a community doesn't really develop like it used to. I hate to say that but that's the way I see it.

This is correct. In the oldschool MMOs (UO, Everquest, AC, DAoC, etc) player interaction was necessary for either survival and/or advancement in nearly every facet of the game. Now-a-days it is optional at best.

Edited by Calsidian

Before you level any higher, reroll to a high pop server or you'll regret it.

For example, The Harbinger (pve) or Swiftsure (pvp). Lots of LFG's in chat. Though more people that will steal quest objectives.

Edited by aivedoir

On my server, chat is cluttered with rude, childish, obscene comments, that i think 90% either has general chat off or just auto ignores it(I know I do)..so until BioWare inforces bans or does something to these little children in chat, you will see game slowly die and less people want to play a MMO by BW, since unless your over 21, the exposure to graphic descriptions of bodily fluids, and sexual acts is just too much to take...

I think if BW would just ban some accounts then the game would florish, since more would re up an account and more would interact with each other..

Just my opinion...but its based on some friends that did try it for a month and couldnt take the general chat, so they moved on for now.....and no they didnt post goodbyes they just left, heh..

Edited by Tiggress

MMO communities were better when you were 'forced' to group.

I utterly disagree with this.

The earliest MMOs had no group quests at all. No raids, either.

City of Heroes had almost no group-required quests at all, and people grouped up all the time.

IMO, grouping, in EVERY game, should be utterly optional, and never forced. I don't consider 'group up or skip this content' much of an option.

Maybe join a PvP server? I'm not much of a grouper, but there is safety in numbers so it seems people are more inclined to group. On a non-PvP server, there is no need to have good gear, or do group quests for the best loot. You can easily progress through the whole game with greens. Add in the threat of being ganked at any moment, and you suddenly have some desire to be well equipped and among allies. I am normally a diehard soloer, but it's real easy to group so far for me in SWTOR.

City of Heroes had almost no group-required quests at all, and people grouped up all the time.

IMO, grouping, in EVERY game, should be utterly optional, and never forced. I don't consider 'group up or skip this content' much of an option.

I knew forced was the wrong word. There just isn't a real need to group unless you are in FPs/OPs.

To others who say that the 'old model' didn't work, it did. WOW is an aberration. It should not be the goal of every new MMO to try and replicate what they did. I honestly believe it is a once in a gaming generation phenomenon.

This is correct. In the oldschool MMOs (UO, Everquest, AC, DAoC, etc) player interaction was necessary for either survival and/or advancement in nearly every facet of the game. Now-a-days it is optional at best.

WoW had that, in vanilla and BC. They removed it in WotLK at the behest of the "community".

The terminology I see being used for this new style of MMO is "game lobby" MMO. It's basically like using a game lobby for any other multiplayer game. You hit some interface options, it automatically takes you to the map you want to play, and you play without ever actually talking to anyone.

SWTOR is pretty much that. PvP definitely is, Ilum aside since it's a complete piece of garbage, it's 100% through the UI. Back in vanilla and BC WoW, there was the queue system but you had to go to battlemaster or arena NPCs that were in specific areas.

For PvE there's no auto-port or auto-group like there is in WoW, but it's pretty close. You never have to leave the fleet for anything beyond the two FPs on Ilum.

That's what caused me to quit WoW, there was nothing left to force people to expand their boundaries. How many great players would, if they started today, never become the players they did because the game didn't push them? How many friends would I have never made because either they or I would not have done what we did because we simply wouldn't have had to? How many great experiences would I not have had because I could just sit in one place all day and never have to break my comfort zone, never talk with anyone, never expend any sort of effort?

Old school MMOs sometimes made you do things you didn't really want to do, or didn't think you wanted to or could do, and you ended up really enjoying those things (or not, which is totally OK).

Today's MMOs cringe at the thought of having someone do something they might not enjoy, or depriving someone of something simply because they don't want to try. I guess that's progress.

Edited by AriasImmortal

I knew forced was the wrong word. There just isn't a real need to group unless you are in FPs/OPs.

To others who say that the 'old model' didn't work, it did. WOW is an aberration. It should not be the goal of every new MMO to try and replicate what they did. I honestly believe it is a once in a gaming generation phenomenon.

Actually, the reason I quit Wow (and several other MMOs) was because I was forced to team up for any meaningful endgame progression.

I think it's wrong to allow players to progress to the level cap by soloing and then make it mandatory to group up for continued progress.

At the very least, I agree that not all MMOs need to be made the same way. Have some like FF, where grouping is mostly required, but for Pete's sake have some where grouping is NEVER required, even at endgame. Hell, especially at endgame.

They don't all have to be part of the same mold.

I'll try and keep this short.

I play an imp as of right now on a"standard" server.

-Chat is dead.

-People join pugs without saying a single word for the entire mission and then just leave.

-I finally run into another player somewhere in the world and they don't even acknowledge my existence.

-I throw buffs on players as I see them. I rarely receive buffs from other players.

-The only time someone takes interest in me is when they are snagging my mission objectives out from under me.

What happened to "community" in an MMO?

It died when wow came out mate. None cares anymore its about gaining that next shiny an god help anyone who get sin the way of it. Last time I saw community was DAOC/FFXI when people were about playing for realm pride.

I imagine it is because most of us are playing this as Kotor 3. I could care less about grouping or pvping. I even avoid heroic quests like the plague, why? Because this is the closest I will ever get to Kotor 3, my sweet sweet Kotor why did "knights of" leave your name?

It is sad that I have to pay $15 a month to play but whatever I am enjoying the story and I realize that is the only selling point of this game. I imagine that once I finish all 8 stories I will unsub, unless new content is quick enough.

Already finished my inquisitor, am half way through my consular and I am half way through act 1 with my Bounty Hunter. I sort of went off on a rant, but I believe that a major reason why community is lacking is the fact that some of us KOTOR players were forced into this whatever it is (lie?) Instead of having a Kotor 3.

Edited by Tuscad

None of what you said contradicts his statement.

1) You're wrong about the "earliest MMOs". UO, EQ, FFXI, DAoC... all of them were "forced-group" type MMOs. There were only a select few classes in each game that could effectively solo. The rest of the classes needed to group to level.

And yes, they definitely had "raids"... they just weren't called such.

2) The person you quoted was quite correct that during the age of "forced grouping" MMOs, the communities were much more cohesive and active. This was because it was necessary for it to be so.

He was quite right when he said that there is "more community" when grouping is forced. Although it usually results in a smaller population.

btw, just so you don't make the mistake: Community =/= Population

Same stuff happens in WoW.

I've noticed on Shaltin Tunnels, a EU RP server, that the community is a lot more vocal and friendly. Either because of it being an RP server or Americans aren't as kind as Europeans. Whatever.

It's the person, not the game, though. WoW and Rift were very much the same, so TOR isn't the bastard-child of socializing. Hell, TOR actually gives incentives to group that Rift and WoW didn't in the form of nearly constant Heroics and Social Points.

It either has to do with servers or you personally.

I play on a PvP server. I've had no problems at all finding groups for heroic missions or FP's.

But...

I also add people to my friends list, invite the same people frequently. I seek out good players, ask them about friends and groups and am in a guild. My friends do the same thing as well. So I don't PuG a ton, but have and will in the future. I stick with good people, look for new people and ignore the ones I need to. Sure chat gets stupid once in a while, but you can ignore it, that will likely not change, and it's not hurting me at all.

Seek out a community and I bet you will find it.

Switch servers? Trust me, I leveled a lot of toons on a low pop in WoW, and ended up regretting it later on. If it sucks now, imagin how bad it'll be when you can't get a HM or raid going because Of how few skilled players are on your server...