PVE Kiting

Victros

When I played beta grinding mobs was never exactly the best form of leveling. Quests gave you most of the experience and if you simply blasted through the quests you could be L10 in an hour especially if you skip the dialogue scenes(I don't recommend this if you are doing that class for the 1st time).

I know I am going to enjoy my questing experience thoroughly.

jump kiting in wow? jumping is optional.

While running away -> Jump -> Turn 180 -> Fire -> Turn back -> Keep running.

You get to fire behind you without losing any forward momentum. I'd bet it works the same in TOR since the combat mechanics seem similar, but I haven't played yet.

Kiting in MMOs usually isn't general purpose these days, it's more for specific mobs that aren't usually soloable. That most mobs have ranged attacks or don't give much exp doesn't really change the fact that there's probably at least one world boss (or at least elite quest boss) type mob that somebody is going to solo by kiting it around the map.

Nobody will kite world bosses to death. They have enrage timers and a variety of nasty range/AOE effects. Not to mention impressive health bars that even a 50 will take a while to chew through.

Enrage doesn't matter if they can't hit you and it's possible there's at least one boss that doesn't have the right anti-kiting measures yet. Also check youtube for videos of people spending like 8 hours straight solo kiting one mob to death.

Not that I care, I don't do that and don't care if other people do. I only put any thought into the topic for PvP reasons.

In this game, almost everything is a shootout. It isn't much like wow for the fights.

But using line of sight to dance around with the mobs is good in this game, like chasing each other around a pillar in a building trying to shoot at each other.

In the beta, the best I could do outside of flashpoints was to LoS mobs. Inside flashpoints I was able to kite absolutely everything like crazy. I soloed every boss in the Black Talon.

Of course I put in bug reports for every single one of those things. Hopefully they fixed that. Cause I'll get bored rather quickly if I can exploit the terrain so easily.

I tried kiting a boss yesterday.. Using terrain.. jumping up and over railing that sort of things.. Boss ignored terrain and made a beeline straight for me.. going straight through railings. At my level didn't have any effective slows.. Maybe things will be better.. Would say that kiting was like 40% effective.

I'll agree that shooting a stuck mob is an exploit. But kiting around a mob in open territory isn't. It's an accepted practice that's been around in MMO's since at least Everquest.

Yeah but it's totally impractical when every mob is ranged. (Well not EVERY, but most.) Besides once you get your companion it becomes rather easy dealing with regular mobs anyway.

I tried kiting a boss yesterday.. Using terrain.. jumping up and over railing that sort of things.. Boss ignored terrain and made a beeline straight for me.. going straight through railings. At my level didn't have any effective slows.. Maybe things will be better.. Would say that kiting was like 40% effective.

While soloing bosses is quite fun, it shouldn't be possible anyway.

Kiting isn't necessary. You have support from companions. If you choose NOT to have them out, you have stims and whatnot to heal with/boost stats etc. Also, as in other games, you can stun, knockback, crit, stealth, backstab, etc.

I know people love the way they look while kiting, and think it's usefull, but it's not.:) You won't ever need to kite, but you can if you want to.:)

Having a 50 Vanguard in beta, it is possible to solo boss level mobs equal to your level. However, by 40 most of the bosses are immune to slow and incapacitating effects. Also you can play hide n seek with alot of ranged bosses. Just plop your healing companion down and use line of site.

Having said that, some kite and HnS fights can take literally half an hour to do. Its just easier to type LFG and save your fingers premature arthritis.