Does nobody remember other MMO launches?

Moosestick

Like STO, Warhammer, WOW, AOC, or DAOC? Servers crashing for hours(or days), 1000ms pings, gamebreaking bugs, etc.

Yes, your cookie dosent have as many chocolate chips as someone who reserved theirs months ahead of you. This is a good life lesson, you put things off until the last minute and it wont work out as good as if you took care of it earlier.

I would say go work on your car, clean your house, or take the woman somewhere to make her forget you are about to spend most of your awake time ignoring her. However, the likelyhood that some of you have these things is....slim.

AC = I played maybe 1.5 hours of the first 48 hours of launch. In AC's defense not alot of games had been launched by then and it was all pretty new to them.

WoW = Where do I begin? Not a terrible launch as far as server stability, but man what a mess up with expectations! Way too many people for too few servers. Add to that Loot bugs, BG bugs, EX exploits, item dupes...i could go on and on.

RIFT = Server crashes, xp pvp exploit, quest exploits, rift exploits... plenty of issues. Good job anticipating demand and server need. Anyone who says this launch was A+ has a selective memory. Not bad, but plenty of issues.

AoC = dont even get me started.

WAR = Did the launch ever end? My understanding is the game is as bugged and laggy today as it was when it launched.

SWTOR so far has been a pretty damn good launch performance wise if the forums have anything to say about it...(lack of complaints)

at least i was able to play those games.

I really hope this game runs smoothly after the 20th too, because if they're plagued with the same problems all those other games were but they did this ******** staggered pre-release thing as well, i think the nerd rage will be deserved.

So uh... queues will begin in earnest tomorrow, servers will likely begin crashing around the 19th/20th, and there's already exploiting going on as is. This 'launch' is on schedule to be average, just like most of the rest of them. Not great, not horrible.

A good majority of these people don't remember because they weren't born or were too young to play at the time. Also this generation has been raised to be impatient, selfish and disrespectful to everyone that doesn't give them everything they want when they want it. Edited by AzraelCales

at least i was able to play those games.

I really hope this game runs smoothly after the 20th too, because if they're plagued with the same problems all those other games were but they did this ******** staggered pre-release thing as well, i think the nerd rage will be deserved.

Would you rather wait 2 days or play for a few hours before being forced to wait 2 extra days because of lag and crashes?

I remember.

But at least everyone had the same problems.

This says it all.

I would rather crash every now and then knowing that other people are dealing with it too. This is more like I opened the game and crashed... now some people are capped level and my game MIGHT be back up tomorrow.

WoW = Where do I begin? Not a terrible launch as far as server stability, but man what a mess up with expectations! Way too many people for too few servers. Add to that Loot bugs, BG bugs, EX exploits, item dupes...i could go on and on.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but you obviously weren't in the WoW launch. There were no dupe bugs. There have never been any dupe bugs in WoW, ever. There were also no BG bugs, because there were no BGs at WoW's release. They came well over 6 months later.

WoW's launch was the worst in MMO history. We couldn't get in to the servers for well over a week, and in some cases 2 weeks. Blizzard had to credit us back for time we couldn't log in.

I know it was well over 7 years ago, but people don't seem to remember how awful the launch really was. Every MMO since has had a stellar launch in comparison.

A good majority of these people don't remember because they weren't born or were too young to play at the time. Also this generation has been raised to be impatient, selfish and disrespectful to everyone that doesn't give them everything they want when they want it.

You just described western civilization since arguably the age of enlightenment.

Its kinda strange you think it just started recently.

AC = I played maybe 1.5 hours of the first 48 hours of launch. In AC's defense not alot of games had been launched by then and it was all pretty new to them.

RIFT = Server crashes, xp pvp exploit, quest exploits, rift exploits... plenty of issues. Good job anticipating demand and server need. Anyone who says this launch was A+ has a selective memory. Not bad, but plenty of issues.

AoC = dont even get me started.

WAR = Did the launch ever end? My understanding is the game is as bugged and laggy today as it was when it launched.

SWTOR so far has been a pretty damn good launch performance wise if the forums have anything to say about it...(lack of complaints)

Just to clarify....when you say BG bugs.....what are you talking about?

Actually, many people didn't put off ordering. They waited for a trial first.

Many got into a beta weekend and got to play the game, then they pre-ordered.

How many games come out today, especially MMO's, which people regret buying in a short period of time.

Some people don't order on a whim, they make sure they want what they are buying. Not everyone has vast amounts of disposable income. Some are smart with their money.

The idea you felt compelled to post this, means YOU are likely not one who has those things either.

I don't have a husband to look after. He died in Iraq last year. I do have a car and a dog, but they don't much mind if I play games on occasion. Guess that makes me lame in your eyes, huh?

I won't let you bring me down on my birthday. Instead, I'll kindly smile and laugh at your simplemindedness and hope your mommy teaches you better about the real world before it's too late.

Don't mean to sound like a dick, but you obviously weren't in the WoW launch. There were no dupe bugs. There have never been any dupe bugs in WoW, ever. There were also no BG bugs, because there were no BGs at WoW's release. They came well over 6 months later.

WoW's launch was the worst in MMO history. We couldn't get in to the servers for well over a week, and in some cases 2 weeks. Blizzard had to credit us back for time we couldn't log in.

I know it was well over 7 years ago, but people don't seem to remember how awful the launch really was. Every MMO since has had a stellar launch in comparison.

LOL you beat me to it....lmao

Like STO, Warhammer, WOW, AOC, or DAOC? Servers crashing for hours(or days), 1000ms pings, gamebreaking bugs, etc.

Yes, your cookie dosent have as many chocolate chips as someone who reserved theirs months ahead of you. This is a good life lesson, you put things off until the last minute and it wont work out as good as if you took care of it earlier.

I would say go work on your car, clean your house, or take the woman somewhere to make her forget you are about to spend most of your awake time ignoring her. However, the likelyhood that some of you have these things is....slim.

My Age of Conan launch experience was a good one.

My Rift launch experience was a good one.

My WoW launch experience was not a good one. It was terrible.

My DAoC launch experience was not a good one.

My Warhammer launch experience sucked.

My Everquest launch experience wasn't fun (both).

My Ultima Online launch experience was amazing. Only because it was my first MMO and to this day, still my favorite.

SWTOR so far, hasn't been a good one. But meh, it's still better than all the bad ones I've been part of.

shhh...all the forum whiners are clearly mmo experts :o

WoW was bad but it was playable.

AOC, I never actually had any problems with server quality so I still scratch my head at the complaints people have. I can't recall a single crash never had a queue and only experienced FPS issues because my computer at the time was around the minimum requirements.

Rift was likewise, fine once they rolled out the new servers. I was there on (EA) day one and experienced a single queue, and only minor lag and only when I was at a rift with 50+ other people.

SWTOR, I'm still waiting.

My choice of the 4 I've experienced wouldn't be this one personally.

I remember waiting for Round 3 of Planetarion to start.

I remember the Legend of Mir 2 launch.

I remember the Lineage II launch.

I remember the FFXI launch.

I remember the Everquest OnLine Adventures launch. (That was about as good as launches get, but then that was on a PS2).

I remember the World of Warcraft launch.

I'm looking forward to Bioware's SWTOR launch on the 20th, simple fact is nobody knows how it's going to go (Gamestop et al might shift 5 million extra copies on that day and they might all try to login at once), but what we do know is that they've done everything possible to get it right so far.

If the worst happens it'll then be interesting to see how Bioware go about ironing out problems, but my gut feeling is that they're going to do fine.

I remember Rift lying to people about early access and how well that went over with their customers.

I dont' remember that. i preordered and got into early access on the day it became available just fine. Don't remember any queues, don't remember any crashes. Rift's launch was about as smooth as could possibly be.

Rift didn't have nearly as many preorders...but they also didn't have nearly as many servers, either.