A Universe At War - Ilum/Open World Redesign

Aneu

a third faction could be hutspace. more neutral force types.

Planet taking is a good idea.

Incorporate instances into this mix and space battles.

instances will help with population issues if incorporated so as to be a linear part of the process.

also orbital defenses for space battling and space instances.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

instances will help with population issues if incorporated so as to be a linear part of the process.

Please don't mention instances... We're talking about open world PvP. Population balance was discussed in OP's post.

Great Ideas, I applaud your passion. And I would LOVE to play that game.

however.

After subbing for a second month and now feeling doubly let down by another round of massive blunders in Illum (organized kill-trading). I no longer think these developers are even remotely capable of pulling off the changes you suggest, neither are they worthy of such grand Ideas.

And I highly doubt they will be doing any more to this game than the bare minimum, mostly damage control and placating the fan base. Its purely a money-grab from here till the bottom.

/seriously jaded

Please don't mention instances... We're talking about open world PvP. Population balance was discussed in OP's post.

instances are the only way to have actual balance.

health tweaking is interesting but its an untested game balance issue. Bolstering is not the same thing as creating a character that has 5-10 times the HP of any normal character.

It will require considerable time and effort before it becomes usable.

a viable current solution is forced population restrictions and instance utilization.

Planet taking is a good idea.

also orbital defenses for space battling and space instances.

Instancing will never be a part of any idea I come up with :) I don't believe instancing to be a solution for anything to do with OWPvP.

health tweaking is interesting but its an untested game balance issue. Bolstering is not the same thing as creating a character that has 5-10 times the HP of any normal character.

a viable current solution is forced population restrictions and instance utilization.

Not to be dismissive, but you cant really comment fruitfully if your characters arent even entering illum. It suggests that you have little knowledge of the problems affecting this owpvp problem nor induldged in the potential that could be bought about by this solution/project.

the problem here is the game was kinda advertised as a MASSIVELY multiplayer online game.... i belive one of the head devs said hundreds vs hundreds in illum

the only way i can see population issues being solved is 1st server mergers coupled with server migration (limited from hi pop faction to low pop faction) tho this would mean offering players a class swap and swaping faction ultimatly

To say instances are the ONLY way to have actual balance is incorrect. But - I don't want to derail this thread. Lets keep the support going...

lol so what your saying is screw all this stuff and make a few more 8 v 8 warzones?

look bubba no offence but your lvl 27 rght? this idea and the replies to it are from end game players who do end game things (what little there is atm) so put your baby booties back on and go level :p

also ow pvp is not about even numbers, its about superior tactics and communication ;)

Instancing removes the feel of open world PvP. OWPvP is meant to be organised chaos with so many changeable situations.

Some of the best fights in other games that I have had have been when I have been out-numbered. The use of tactics and superior battlefield information can be used against superior numbers.

Instancing world PvP removes the "open" part of it. No world PvP arena should ever be instanced in any game, it takes away the dynamic.

I am a Republic player on The Ravager at the moment also and we are out-numbered but I wouldn't have it any other way. We still win battles and are able to push much larger groups of players than us.

I believe Bioware has some Warhammer devs working on SWTOR with them. I thought the Warhammer world PvP system was a lot of fun. The only problems with it were laggy combat/servers, and faction imbalances.

This system you talk about here sounds a little similar where you push to the enemys city/base and you fight their leader for great rewards. I like it a lot.

/Signed

Well thought out except for the "make open world PvP more favourable for earning valor".

Genius, it already is with the Ilum PvP farming going on. And that's bad.

It should be 50/50. If people want to play warzones they play warzones. If they want to do world pvp they do world pvp. There should be no significant difference between the two. Some players like localized team based combat (Warzones) others like big massive laggy zerg fests (Ilum).

7/10 (-3 points because I just think that anyone that favors open world PvP that heavily and is biased that much towards it is doing it because they want to reap greater rewards from it)

Anything other than the 1fps-fest that is ilum today. Ilum was a ton better before patch 1.1

Even if BioWare don't take all of your ideas, some of them are great and I hope they change Ilum because it's really, really average at the moment.

/sign

the problem here is the game was kinda advertised as a MASSIVELY multiplayer online game.... i belive one of the head devs said hundreds vs hundreds in illum

the only way i can see population issues being solved is 1st server mergers coupled with server migration (limited from hi pop faction to low pop faction) tho this would mean offering players a class swap and swaping faction ultimatly

Well thought out except for the "make open world PvP more favourable for earning valor".

Genius, it already is with the Ilum PvP farming going on. And that's bad.

It should be 50/50. If people want to play warzones they play warzones. If they want to do world pvp they do world pvp. There should be no significant difference between the two. Some players like localized team based combat (Warzones) others like big massive laggy zerg fests (Ilum).

7/10 (-3 points because I just think that anyone that favors open world PvP that heavily and is biased that much towards it is doing it because they want to reap greater rewards from it)

I didn't touch on diminishing returns however this goes without saying, diminishing returns on valour gain is something that should be expected in any game with such a system as this.

Warzones will already give enough reward, the reason it is split is to make rewards not instantly gratifying tools which have been implemented in so many other games its shocking. Instantly gratifying rewards dumb down games too much and dont actually give the player a real feeling of having worked for it, this way they will need to do both warzones and open world pvp for a reward, whether they like one or the other they have to do both. No bias :)

Creative thinking here -- I like that.

Another thing to consider is leveraging expertise (in lieu of the health bonus) to address faction imbalance.

A simple thing would be to make expertise only function for the underdog realm -- yes, a lot of empire players would be lining up to cry sad tears, but then again, so what ;)

Balances would need to be applied (e.g. for 10:1 expertise would need to multiplied, but at 2:1 perhaps reduced).