Powerr's Jedi Shadow Tanking Guide

Powerr

What is the best method for specing out this build ?

Should I go all up the Kinect tree first and then go Balance or should I go Balance much earlier ?

I am currently only a level 26 on Infill but I want to change up and try out this Kinect.

go balance first

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently use a 29/0/12 build which I enjoy. I am currently running a mix between the survivalist gear and stalker gear. Unfortunately I am finding it all to have a lack of crit chance and surge.

Also I tend to use a focus instead of a shield when I run with a group. A shield I use when I am running solo as it only blocks white damage.

Quick question for you that run Slow Time... is it a targeted ability or a ground target like Force In Balance?

Edited by Sacull

the more tanking gear you wear in this spec the less effective you are... (tanking mods at least)

Mitigation does not outweigh the damage loss

as for the lowbie question. you take balance because its a faster way to get good damage, then respec later on

I am nowhere near the skill level of most of the people here.

My understanding of gearing (still workiing on replacing Cent with Champ)

Go all Stalker except 3 pieces:

2x pieces Survivor gear for the ChuckNorris cooldown, replacing tanky mods with dps mods.

1X Survivor Shield.

plz correct me if i am horribly msitaken. TYVM

I am nowhere near the skill level of most of the people here.

My understanding of gearing (still workiing on replacing Cent with Champ)

Go all Stalker except 3 pieces:

2x pieces Survivor gear for the ChuckNorris cooldown, replacing tanky mods with dps mods.

1X Survivor Shield.

plz correct me if i am horribly msitaken. TYVM

sounds about right, but i leave 2 pieces modded defense

Me personally... I have replaced all my mods with offensive mods and enhancements. However my plan is to (WAY down the line) to get mod with defense rating and use it in all my gear while using offensive enhancements. But that is my long term plan.

Remember that the shield only blocks white damage. That is why I keep a focus on me and use it most the time. Only time I use the shield when I am going to be defending a point or know I am facing someone that has white damage. Otherwise I use the focus for the bigger damage.

Oh and I changed to the 31/0/10 spec. It has grown on me.

Edited by Sacull

Hey powerr I saw you played DCUO as Father Earth. Where you on the Death and Glory server(think that was the name)? Had a fire dps on there named Stevey in the guild Nothing Personal. Pretty sure I pvped with you a good bit. Playing this now and i'm loving your 31/0/10 build! Edited by StephenTheOne

the more tanking gear you wear in this spec the less effective you are... (tanking mods at least)

Mitigation does not outweigh the damage loss

This I can't get my head around. Sometimes I seem to be able to take a LOT of damage and other times I go down like a cheap ******. I know shields only block out white damage so are you guys changing your focus depending on the situation? There are a lot of good marauders & juggs on my server so having the shield is nice vs them, is it that much of a dps loss compared to a stalker focus?

Are you guys also just taking 2 pieces of BM Survivor for spinning kick & the rest Stalker? I'm currently wearing a mish-mash of BM & Champ gear, I'm worried that if I swap in DPS mods I'm going to lose at lot of my parry and survivability.

I've been rocking something very similar. (33/0/8) I go 3/3 in Nerve Wracking, unlike Powerr, in an attempt to have more oomph on some skills when I have the ability to Spike/Electrocute. It's a little involved to do this, but when everything is lined up and on crit - I am fully capable of dishing out an 8k Critical Force Lightning on players with extreme amounts of expertise - which to me, as a tank, seems pretty damn nice.

I will say one thing I've been thinking about, Powerr - your Project ability. We've all had talks about the animation being much different than our SI's Shock. Our Shock's damage appears pretty much instantly upon activation - whereas a JC's Project has a bit of an animation delay. And what I'm noticing is that this almost works to your favour in this rotation. By the time your Project animation completes and puts damage on your target, you're off the swing timer - so your Project and Slow Time's damage sandwiches very closely. Negligible? Sure - but curious and definitely feels more burst-like.

I've also had to defend my spec and Powerr's spec. A lot of Tank Sins think there's no utility in Slow Time/Wither. :p

Edited by Jishnu

Bump. Also, I just moved over from tanking as a Jugg (changed factions and class) and I'm really happy with this because it seems like it has more damage options. Before I hit the 50s bracket I was doing around 75k (I know it probably doesn't count since I was owning lowbies)...but it seems like once I hit the upper levels with my Shadow I'm going to be hurting people AND protecting people which is exactly what i was hoping for. Excited...

That said, is the Kinetic build okay for leveling? Is there any way you could show the progress every 10 levels or so to show what order you advanced things? Did you start in Kinetic and once you hit 40 moved to the other 10 in balance? Just curious cause as a low level (18) Shadow, I definitely haven't hit my potential it seems. Should I level in an infiltrate build and switch or what? Just curious. Thanks so much for all the help fellow community members and Powerr in particular.

Bump. Also, I just moved over from tanking as a Jugg (changed factions and class) and I'm really happy with this because it seems like it has more damage options. Before I hit the 50s bracket I was doing around 75k (I know it probably doesn't count since I was owning lowbies)...but it seems like once I hit the upper levels with my Shadow I'm going to be hurting people AND protecting people which is exactly what i was hoping for. Excited...

That said, is the Kinetic build okay for leveling? Is there any way you could show the progress every 10 levels or so to show what order you advanced things? Did you start in Kinetic and once you hit 40 moved to the other 10 in balance? Just curious cause as a low level (18) Shadow, I definitely haven't hit my potential it seems. Should I level in an infiltrate build and switch or what? Just curious. Thanks so much for all the help fellow community members and Powerr in particular.

I switched to kinetic from inf at level 20 and never looked back. Leveling is almost too easy with Kinetic + Tharan.

I will tell you that PvP at level 50 with the 31/0/10 spec is amazing. You feel like a hero--you are tough as hell to kill and you do very decent damage. And, you can be competitive and contribute with sub-par gear when you are a new 50. I routinely approach 200k damage and 80-100k protection (with 30ishk healing!).

Well then, I look forward to getting Tharan...although I'd still be interested in lower level rotations in PVP or PVE...just so used to Force Jumping in and getting the party started...doesn't seem like there are any insane openings for me just yet.