The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

George Lucas Retires from Star Wars

FourTwent

Am I remembering this wrong but didn't George Lucas lead a charge against Ted Turner when Ted Turner bought the rights to all those classic movies and started colorizing them. I mean, Ted legally owned those movies and started colorizing them, but then George said: No Ted, just because you own them, you just can't do whatever you want to them.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I remembering this wrong but didn't George Lucas lead a charge against Ted Turner when Ted Turner bought the rights to all those classic movies and started colorizing them. I mean, Ted legally owned those movies and started colorizing them, but then George said: No Ted, just because you own them, you just can't do whatever you want to them.

Completely different though. Ted Turner didn't create them. George Lucas did create the universe of Star Wars.

Personally I think he should have left the Star Wars megaverse alone and let others take it and run with it. My problem with George has and will always be his egotistical rants and musings about his movies. Once you make a movie and present it to audiences you should expect an amount of criticism and what not.

Also, he wanted to tell his story... fine but by the same token it is ok for the rest of us to disagree with his version. AKA the prequals. Just because he owns the rights to Star Wars doesn't mean that he is protected from criticism or ridicule.

So do you think now we'll get either a 7,8 and 9 movies or Old Republic series. If they do they need to go back to sets, instead of green screens.

He says right in the article and I quote:

“Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

if your sad there will not be a 7,8,9, you have no one to blame but yourselves. :(

I hate to break it to you Einstein, but all you've done is reinforce his point. Unless you're trying to say that beating out Back to the Future, both The Two Towers and The Fellowship of the Ring, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, Close Encounters, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, a slew of Harry Potter films, and the list goes on.....is failure. I mean, a big awesome cinema expert like you would never make such a ridiculous claim would they? So what exactly was your point? Or were you calling him "genius" without irony, and acknowledging that even with the adjusted gross the Prequels were a massive success?

I never even remotely implied the prequels were a financial failure. What I showed is based upon the comparative financial numbers, the prequels didn't have nearly as many moviegoers as the originals did: that the mainstream audience that watched the originals (which is, you know, everybody) did not all go to see the prequels, let alone see it multiple times.

The bottom line is the mainstream moviegoing audience didn't have nearly as much interest in the prequels as they did the originals.

Completely different though. Ted Turner didn't create them. George Lucas did create the universe of Star Wars.

Clever wording for trying to handwave the fact that he didn't create Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

This 100 times over. I have heard and read a lot of interviews with Lucas since the original movie was released, and one thing that struck me was the sincere and deep, almost philosophical ideals behind the creation of the originals.

There is such a link between the Jedi ideals and Eastern thought, that is no coincidence. Lucas was trying to make a statement about the major conflict we have in our times, that between greed and materialism, and caring about one another and spirituality. To ignore this is just stupid, regardless of how successful the franchise ended up becoming(which was a total surprise to just about everyone in the industry, including Lucas).

The widespread popularity and merchandising of the series has tended to obscure the ideas and ideals Lucas was trying to communicate originally, and I think the Extended Universe is one of the bigger offenders in this regard, because as all books and other media that are written to capitalize on the success of a movie or other popular franchise, their main goal is to gain as wide an audience as possible, so all sorts of nonsense made its way into the books that completely disregarded the simple and rather profound meaning of the originals...in other words none of the Extended Universe actually captured the real meaning of the originals, it was all just pretty much the written version of some action movies that included Star Wars characters.

That's why I find it perverse that a lot of people regard the "Extended Universe" as "more Star Wars" than the films...I think tbh they are completely missing the message so to speak.

I completely agree. If anyone has a bit of knowledge on Eastern religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, etc would clearly see this represented in the movies. Lucas tries to keep things true to this message and the fans rage and hate at him. I say show the man some respect and appreciation. None of this would be here and we wouldn't be playing TOR or having any discussion were it not for Lucas.

You, sir, have missed the point.

Good writing is "owned" by those who read it. That's why there are classes on Hemingway, and Faulkner. Those guys understood that once a story leaves your desk and is released unto the masses, it is no longer "yours" any more than it is "theirs." Those two would never come out and say, "But, I meant for it to be _______ " or "This is what I wanted for _______ ." They understood that a good story will mean any number of things dependent upon the person who reads it. Lucas does not. It's his thing, and nobody is playing with it the way he wants them to.

I never claimed ownership of anything, and you obviously only read what you wanted to of my post. It's not about fan ownership. It's about a man who let other people play in "his sandbox" and then got upset when they made a better sandcastle than he did. It's about a man who, like a spoiled child, threw a tantrum about it.

Nailed it. This post right here made me stop reading and forced a response. Lucas' original works have become the modern man's Illiad. It's an epic that will likely outlive us all. It's for this very reason that the "fans" are allowed whatever commentary on it they wish.

I never even remotely implied the prequels were a financial failure. What I showed is based upon the comparative financial numbers, the prequels didn't have nearly as many moviegoers as the originals did: that the mainstream audience that watched the originals (which is, you know, everybody) did not all go to see the prequels, let alone see it multiple times.

The bottom line is the mainstream moviegoing audience didn't have nearly as much interest in the prequels as they did the originals.

I like the way you're attributing all of that to the mainstream audience. Not drawing the numbers of the OT is no sin, nor a sign of poor filmmaking. Very few movies have or will attain those lofty heights, and that sort of success is as much a matter of the stars aligning as a sign of quality. Had the OT come out at a different time it very well might not have been the cultural juggernaut it was. The fact remains that the Prequels were very successful, and that very much includes the mainstream. In fact, given the amount of hate coming from the hardcore fan base I'd even go so far as to say the bulk of it's success came from the mainstream.

Clever wording for trying to handwave the fact that he didn't create Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

Except he did create both of those movies. He saw them through from start to finish. Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian, Cloud City, Dagobah...all Lucas creations. Vader being Luke (and Leia's) father, Luke training with Yoda, Han frozen in carbonite and shipped to Jabba, Han being rescued instead of dying in RotJ (which Marquand, Ford and Kasdan all lobbied against and were over-ruled by Lucas), Vader killing the emperor and saving Luke, the technologically backward Ewoks beating the well-equipped Empire...all Lucas plot points. Even the name Return of the Jedi was due to Lucas feeling that Jedi shouldn't take Revenge. He saved that for the Sith decades later. He was extremely active in the process, he paid for everything except distribution, he hired everybody. As important as Kershner and Marquand were, their contributions paled before George Lucas'.

You keep bringing up "Hollywood tradition" when it comes to directors, but that tradition has no bearing on what amounts to the biggest independant movie franchise in history. Lucas was active in every step of the process in a way that "Hollywood tradition" doesn't cover. Hell, if Star Wars followed Hollywood tradition the movies wouldn't have the iconic text crawl that opens each movie. The Directors Guild tried to clamp down on that in leiu of the "traditional" credits that open Hollywood movies. Lucas fought it, they threatened to sue Kershner, and Lucas ended up paying a hefty fine to protect him and dropped out of the guild. Hollywood tradition is meaningless when it comes to Star Wars.

But I don't think we're ever going to agree on that point. I understand where you're coming from, but I strongly disagree. I think Lucas is far more important to ESB and RotJ than either of it's directors.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Ok so you're saying that who owns the intellectual property is irrelevant, it's who created them that matters.

In that case Lucas didn't write nor direct Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. These movies were created by someone else. Did Lucas get the permission of the people who made these movies prior to making any adjustments to them? That would be imposable for Empire at least, since Irvine Kershner is dead.

Yoda, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian, Cloud City, Dagobah...all Lucas creations. Vader being Luke (and Leia's) father, Luke training with Yoda, Han frozen in carbonite and shipped to Jabba, Han being rescued instead of dying in RotJ (which Marquand, Ford and Kasdan all lobbied against and were over-ruled by Lucas),

So should Sir Arthur Conan Doyle be listed as the writer and director of the new Sherlock Holmes movies since they used the characters and concepts he created in the movie?

I completely agree. If anyone has a bit of knowledge on Eastern religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, etc would clearly see this represented in the movies. Lucas tries to keep things true to this message and the fans rage and hate at him. I say show the man some respect and appreciation. None of this would be here and we wouldn't be playing TOR or having any discussion were it not for Lucas.

QFT to that. I think at the end of the day, this was always Georges baby, no matter what any one else thinks. Its not that I don't think he listened to his fans, I think HE DID listen, and he knows there are so MANY differing views on how Star Wars should be made - re made, or edited. It would make anyone's head spin. Thank you George for my childhood, and the memories you gave me with those great movies. Think my life would of been different with out your Star Wars story in my life. No matter what happens next in your life, just move on, and forget ungrateful so called fans. None of this would of been possible with out you. Expanded Universe is great to read, but its nothing with out the original concept that you made.

Peace, and god bless.

Edited by dronepilot

So should Sir Arthur Conan Doyle be listed as the writer and director of the new Sherlock Holmes movies since they used the characters and concepts he created in the movie?

Who has ever listed Lucas as the director of these movies?

As for writing, you can bet Conan Doyle got "based on" writing credits. And if he were alive and hired all personnel, payed for the entire making of the films, and made sure that they stayed true to his vision, as well as the aforementioned writing credits, they would most certainly be his movies.

Edited by Jmannseelo

Ok so you're saying that who owns the intellectual property is irrelevant, it's who created them that matters.

In that case Lucas didn't write nor direct Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi. These movies were created by someone else. Did Lucas get the permission of the people who made these movies prior to making any adjustments to them? That would be imposable for Empire at least, since Irvine Kershner is dead.

Actually, they're both dead. Irvin Kirshner died about two years ago and Richard Marquand died in the late 80s. Kirshner's response to questions about his feeling on the Special Editions was he was just glad they didn't make a lot of changes to ESB like they did with ROTJ. He never expressed approval of the changes.

It's about a man who let other people play in "his sandbox" and then got upset when they made a better sandcastle than he did. It's about a man who, like a spoiled child, threw a tantrum about it.

Better sandcastle? Are you seriously saying that the derivatives works of Star Wars are better than the films? Well that is your opinion but you are in a small minority which I am especially glad George Lucas did not cater to.

Also, you are seriously blowing things out of proportion when you say he is throwing a tantrum like a child. Lucas is just trying keep things true to his vision. He should have just closed his "sandbox" to any further works besides in the form of games. He should have just played it like JK Rowling and not allow any further additions to her world she created.

I grew up on Episodes 4, 5, and 6. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 taught me that "there are alternatives to fighting." Episodes 4, 5 and 6 taught me that "sometimes the truths we cling to are only true from a certain point of view." Episodes 4, 5, and 6 taught me to never leave a friend out in the cold, even when it could cost you your life. Episodes 4, 5 and 6 taught me to trust my feelings, and it's never too late to change.

My kids grew up on Episodes 1, 2, and 3. They learned that people with a Caribean accent are stupid goofballs and that love makes you kill children.

George Lucas created a fictional universe... honestly that is all he did. As far as his message goes that some in this thread allude to that isn't the only message there. The other message is that it is ok to be a bunch of terrorists who blow up a government building as long as you think your right.

Then in the prequels it shows Palpatine getting lawfully elected. So now you have the movies 3, 4, and 5 just reenforcing the idea that the "Rebellion" is actually terrorists who are bent on overthrowing the lawfully elected government.

The overall point is there is always more than one perspective and no one will ever really know what the correct one is.

I grew up on Episodes 4, 5, and 6. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 taught me that "there are alternatives to fighting." Episodes 4, 5 and 6 taught me that "sometimes the truths we cling to are only true from a certain point of view." Episodes 4, 5, and 6 taught me to never leave a friend out in the cold, even when it could cost you your life. Episodes 4, 5 and 6 taught me to trust my feelings, and it's never too late to change.

My kids grew up on Episodes 1, 2, and 3. They learned that people with a Caribean accent are stupid goofballs and that love makes you kill children.

so wait are you trying to tell me love doesn't make people kill kids?

George Lucas created a fictional universe... honestly that is all he did. As far as his message goes that some in this thread allude to that isn't the only message there. The other message is that it is ok to be a bunch of terrorists who blow up a government building as long as you think your right.

Then in the prequels it shows Palpatine getting lawfully elected. So now you have the movies 3, 4, and 5 just reenforcing the idea that the "Rebellion" is actually terrorists who are bent on overthrowing the lawfully elected government.

The overall point is there is always more than one perspective and no one will ever really know what the correct one is.

Hitler also came to power legally... :p

Edited by Liquidacid

The OT taught us that it's ok to make out with your sister as long as you're not aware of it at the time, that lying to young blonde boys about their real parents in order to get them to leave home with you is perfectly fine, and that a lifetime of genocide and murder is nullified by throwing a wrinkly old guy down a Death Star shaft.

This game is fun. :)

Edited by Jmannseelo

This is the same man that made the Star Wars Christmas Special and the two live action Ewok tv specials. I've seen all three of them relatively recently, and would like that four or so hours of my life back.

Good change is good. Eventually someone will buy the copyright from Lucas or his family. This IP is too profitable and Hollywood has too few original ideas for Star Wars to sit idle for the rest of time.

so wait are you trying to tell me love doesn't make people kill kids?

I am very definately telling you that love does not make you kill children. When you think it happened because you read "5 Die in Murder Suicide," it has nothing to do with love.

im happy he's retiring for two reasons.

1) The prequels were horrible and showed how great lucas can do "on his own". He thought he was some movie genius, but all he can do is create the main idea, theme, and strings to put it together. Not directing or script writing (which is integral to movies).

2) He said it himself, i dont remember the quote but it went something like [ why should i make more movies if people will hate me for it] He lost his passion. I enjoy movies, and i enjoy them more when the people who make them love to make movies.

He created a universe, not a story. People are bashing the EU, but Lucas allowed them to write in his universe. Early on he actually cared what was being written, he checked everything to make sure it went with his vision. Later on, i guess he stopped reading them, and when he made the prequels, he ignored them.

So, this universe lucas created, that he has artistic writes to, where he can change whatever he wants, when he wants, lets others write the EU, then messes with all that was established (that he presumably read), but its ok, because he created it.

Makes him an idiot.

Its like writing a story saying a cat is blue. then writing a book later explaining that the color blue is really red. Well at least then something would be explained.

If by "not feeling 'appreciated'" he means everyone is pissed because we can't get the original three unedited on blu-ray then yeah he is unappreciated.

He can create any alternate versions he wants, he wont give us the originals because we wouldn't buy anything else if we could get our hands on what we actually want.

If by "not feeling 'appreciated'" he means everyone is pissed because we can't get the original three unedited on blu-ray then yeah he is unappreciated.

He can create any alternate versions he wants, he wont give us the originals because we wouldn't buy anything else if we could get our hands on what we actually want.

So once "we" people got the original OT "we'd" stop buying all Star Wars books, comics, games, etc? Would "we" cancel our TOR subscriptions? I guess all "we" viewers of TCW would drop off the face of the earth?

Thank goodness he hasn't released the unaltered OT then. That explains everything. It would mean the end of all things Star Wars. All this time, who'd have known he was doing us such a favor.

So once "we" people got the original OT "we'd" stop buying all Star Wars books, comics, games, etc? Would "we" cancel our TOR subscriptions? I guess all "we" viewers of TCW would drop off the face of the earth?

Thank goodness he hasn't released the unaltered OT then. That explains everything. It would mean the end of all things Star Wars. All this time, who'd have known he was doing us such a favor.

Um, it's pretty clear he's specifically referring to the films. As in "we", the fans of the original unedited films, wouldn't buy any of the Special Editions if we could just buy the originals.