Did you come from WoW and have you gone back?

NoTTaShoT

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played WoW for years and had a lot of fun, made many friends, but it's showing its age.

Still on the fence about TOR, I'm just not feeling that "Star Wars" panache. It feels more like episodes I-III rather than IV-VI; for obvious reasons, I know, but still. Also, for some reason Blizzard has been the most successful at creating a fully cohesive, living, breathing WORLD. Every other MMO I've played since feels like a chain of zones where I don't feel like I'm journeying so much as going down the line.

Still, I'm enjoying my inquisitor's story and I'm taking my time, so hopefully by the time I hit the cap I'll feel at home.

Came from WoW, totally disappointed with Swtor (won't say it's a "bad" game persay, but it's certainly not BioWare material in my opinion) so I've gone to Skyrim, hoping that Guild Wars 2 will be what I'm looking for.

At least Guild Wars 2 will have Char! A proper monster race. Disappointed that Starwars doesn't have a monster race :(

so by your logic, mcdonalds must be the best restaurant in the world, because it has the most consumers.

why can you still post if your sub expired?

Not really, but only data we can make any assumptions is the amount of players. Whats is different with Mcdonalds is that it offers almost free food without much waiting and there are one in every corner, i dont think most people think that it has best food unless its priced to same as "best" restaurants. WoW and ToR costs the same per month.

Yes and yes. This game is completely bad once you hit 50. It's like they forgot that they need to keep subscribers after all of that voice over is over and done with. End game is basically less-polished WoW, so I choose to play the better game.

No idea what you mean by Wrathbabies but you seem very mature. And, you thought wrong.

He means that after Sunwell Blizzard decided it was more in tune with their player base to tweek the difficulty of 95% of the game. During Lich King, WoW saw an influx of new players which needed the game to become easier so they would be able to see more than one tier of content. These players became known as Wrathbabies. They "grew up" on Wrath content, thinking it was typical WoW difficulty, but not having the experience of Vanilla, or even BC content. There is no denying that a large portion of the game became much easier, and I don't mean to state this as anything other than objective. Meaning I am not discrediting the player base, merely just relaying cold hard facts that WoW became much easier, much more accessible. Nor am I bashing Blizzards intent on doing as such, it's their game, their perogative. I really could care less as I've never been a Warcraft fan.

As far as the OP goes, no I don't come from WoW, no I won't go back. Blizzard has their priorites not set for a player like myself. They even are changing the Diablo 3 mechanisms so it better fits on a console by removing skills/abilities and hotkeys so they map more efficient to a controller.

Came from WoW, but I don't have a subscription for either of the two games. Mainly because the people I started to play with became drama queens, and it discouraged me to play because they have intentions of drama instead of fun.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy the game a lot. It's just that I've already leveled a 50, still thinking if I want to level another one on another server.

Edited by Deivii

Yes and yes. This game is completely bad once you hit 50. It's like they forgot that they need to keep subscribers after all of that voice over is over and done with. End game is basically less-polished WoW, so I choose to play the better game.

This is a game where you are supposed to level at least four toons to 50, because the leveling is the game, not the end-game. I think you need to go to a different game if all you want is end-game, because you won't be getting it with SWTOR.

He means that after Sunwell Blizzard decided it was more in tune with their player base to tweek the difficulty of 95% of the game. During Lich King, WoW saw an influx of new players which needed the game to become easier so they would be able to see more than one tier of content. These players became known as Wrathbabies. They "grew up" on Wrath content, thinking it was typical WoW difficulty, but not having the experience of Vanilla, or even BC content. There is no denying that a large portion of the game became much easier, and I don't mean to state this as anything other than objective. Meaning I am not discrediting the player base, merely just relaying cold hard facts that WoW became much easier, much more accessible. Nor am I bashing Blizzards intent on doing as such, it's their game, their perogative. I really could care less as I've never been a Warcraft fan.

A.

IF you talk in terms of difficulty, this game is nothing compared to WoW. All end game in PVe and PvP is trivial compared to many WOW encounters. With this combat system and gameplay fights like Muru, +0 Yogg, and specially HC Ragnaros cant be done. While they made things accessible with normal modes, hardly anyone did the HC modes when it mattered. And Pvp is biggest joke in MMO history.

Edited by Forsbacka

A good influence came from Warhammer. EQ and DnD were largely based on Tolkiens work, which Warcraft is nothing like.

Lol No Warhammer was influenced prolly by tolken. Tolken was influenced prolly by myth. If you were saying Blizzard is original in anyway... I'll laugh at this...

My partner got me to try WoW up to about level 20, and I must admit I have personally never played a more boring game.

Was rather underwhelmed by the graphics, the repetitive gameplay, the lack of interesting story or immersion and the combat system. The community was vile, and I ended up leaving after my sub ran out. And this was before they introduced free to level 20.

I am rather dismayed actually at the number of posters from both the WoW side and the SW:TOR side for arguing like children over something that ultimately has no right answer.

The story and gameplay in WoW appeals to some people; the story and gameplay of SW:TOR appeals to another. Each have their own niche, and ultimately which one is "better" is purely subjective and personal.

I personally love the immersion of SW:TOR. I was a console gamer, and to me, SW:TOR feels almost like KOTOR III just on a larger scale.

I am frankly sick and tired of hearing or seeing the comparisons between the games, and wish both sides would grow up and understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion without being abused for it.

I have faith that Bioware will iron out the kinks in the game as we go along. And to be frankly honest, even if they don't I'll be here. Game plays great for me, and I frankly prefer playing by myself or with my partner without having to have a guild. Especially when a lot of guilds are made up by some of the people posting on this forum.

:rolleyes:

This is a game where you are supposed to level at least four toons to 50, because the leveling is the game, not the end-game. I think you need to go to a different game if all you want is end-game, because you won't be getting it with SWTOR.

*** leveling is the game ?

4 plus years with WOW, while my GF has been plalying for just over 2 years. We both have multiple 85lvl toons, run 85 dungeons and casual raiding and a bunch of our family plays. So we still play, but SWTOR has been so much fun and the storyline and immersion is way beyond anything WOW can offer. We are only group battle ground PVPers in WOW.

We are going to give this game 6 months to a year and see where it's at. After that I don't know if I'm going to carry two monthly game subscriptions. So time will tell, but WOW has been a disapointment to us since the Cata expansion and feels really tired. Were happy with SWTOR so far even with the bugs and minor issues. If BW can fix some issues and keep rolling out more content then this game could become our #1. Time will tell...

If you have fun with this game does not mean that this game is better.

It means you like ****** games...

If having fun isn't a factor in deciding whether or not you like a game, then why are playing a game for? I play games for fun and relaxation.

So what, this thread wasnt about what you like to play. You play what you want, and if you think this game is anyway more adult or the races are somewheat mature, its only humans with different color, every race atleast every race in WoW looked unique and different from eachother.

Have fun with your Ewoks, Wookies and Jarjar binks.

Why do the 13 yr old's always post about how "mature" things are..

Why do the 13 yr old's always post about how "mature" things are..

I was just commenting on his have fun in Panda land comments. I dont have problems with games appealing to adults and children, not with this, WoW or any other game. But when a post ends in have fun with pandas and pokemons and can i have your stuff , poster could not forget that very many races or characters are compared to those in this game aswell.

Just curious to how many players came from WoW and have returned or how many are still playing ToR?

I myself am playing both games, I know it's crazy but I think it's ok to enjoy more than one game at a time :D

Yes to 1 (only started playing it for a few weeks and found it extremely boring)

which leads to my answer for question number 2

No

Edited by onstorm

Just curious to how many players came from WoW and have returned or how many are still playing ToR?

I myself am playing both games, I know it's crazy but I think it's ok to enjoy more than one game at a time :D

I didnt stop playing wow for swtor or other mmo's. Wow has so many advantags over everything and we have over 400 in guild there. It has become pretty easy though, what took me a year to get to end game, now takes people mere weeks on average. My character equity was completely screwed aswell and now anybody can have the same things I have, such as reputation levels or etc easier and faster, but nothing beats the smooth combat especially pvp, not rift startrek or here, nothing beats the quality of life little things that swtor will make u almost cry to have back. Like adding freinds not online, guild summoning to where ever u are, guild perks in general, just little things like a timer by ur portrait saying how long ur still flagged for, linking professions in chat, u name it wow is better at it, and sadly even textures. And for a game made after 2010, this game doesnt even have as good of graphics as secondlife made in early 2000. photo realistic textures have been a standard in 3d now for over 5 years and im looking at muddy chalk here, not even getting into mesh detail or bum maps/overlays.

The only reason I am playing swtor as well, is because I like starwars, have since I saw it come out. The only reason bioware, lucas and ea have my subscription, is because I want the game to succeed I like starwars.

I think im being falsly advertised to, (check screenshots where they are still advertising in game combat with high textures for instance to get new players while lying to us saying it was never supposed to be anything but conversations) calling conversation cutscreens, cinematics!!!!! To not get sued for it. And then telling us if we installed after jan 4th, we'd have them!!!! Only to have medium changed to high next patch!!!! This has become the absolute worst dealings i have had with any company whatsoever in a very long time.

So I am still playing wow,this game made me miss wow when i was sick of wow b4, now im thankful for it! I am still playing here, but I really am considering quitting here just based on principle of false advertising over the textures and getting lied to on top of that about it when we as a coimmunity tookt he time and effort to give them the benefit of the doubt with 4+ forums of over 1000 posts each and they just swept it under the rug and closed the damn thing down! And being treated like an idiot having them change basic definitions etc! Nothing has pissed me off more in recent years then to have a video game, whos quality is based on the graphics, ie video game, falsely advertise those graphics and then lie to me about what they did. I almost want to join a class action lawsuit and put this company under, but i like bioware, they had a few good games and if it wasnt for their name and lucas on the sticker persay, I'd not of even joined or trusted it, now im wondering if i ever should have.

On an additional note, I like the game, the fun factor is there, it needs some major bug fixes and some better focus on where my equity is (my character itself, companion story lines, customization etc) and to stop trying to be like wow in the first place. I hate theres no diplomatic option like a bonus for not killing 50 of this or that, for light side and killing 50 of this or that for dark side, but the light/dark side idea is innovative and keeps you immersed in story line. I love the voice acting, but the number one reason for me to like any mmo, is character equity, character detail (graphics quality/texture res mesh detail) and customization, and again did i say my character?

So we shall see how this game ends up, so far it is about to ruin even my fond memories of the movies themselves. But I am still hoping, I am having fun as long as I am not end game yet, and we do have a few that are stuck for 6 months and have expanded guild to here. So I have to kinda be here unless guild collapses on it.

If theyd fix the flat out false advertising and lying to me (by removing the screenshots gallery they ahve up that is falsely advertising to new players, or by simply allowing me to choose if it really is a performance issue not some lucas cowardly attempt to hide there so precious artwork (and ya lucas, this dealign with graphics is making you look paranoid dealw ith it, and fix the false advertising if u do not liek it)), then i could live with bugs while they are fixed.

But if this texture issue is continued to be swept under the rug. Idc how good this game gets. I will not reward lying false advertising theives. I hate poeple like that, and will honestly unsubscribe for my real life light side point choice!

No matter how much I like some of the innovative features on swtor.

As far as wow goes, we got a bunch of new people that have been joining our server lich king title run last night for fun for newbies, and had a blast. Spent awhile in bg and arena , had a blast. Did some firelands and such dailies, was ok enough to buy some of the stuff i wanted (chant). Geared a little guildie (crafting), elected another officer, got to see friends i have had for 5+ years, pretty much an overall good experience. Even the customer service is back to fast, issues being addressed. They even asked me what I'd like to see different b4 and after pandas (They are obviously takign this seriously, I think millions of subscribers is a big dealwto most companies). Told them I miss wow vanilla, and it being something to explore havening to read th quests or even go to thottbot to figure them out. Wanted better detail mesha nd graphics options and more charcter customization and that the humans should eb eye candy not eye sores. Miss havening to use thottbot or really read a quest, because it kept me engaged in story line, And hated I couldnt finish story lines without raid in almost every aspect now. And some basic fun factor needed back in the game - less raid end game content only focus, and more fun factor and charcter detaila nd customization, since that is where oru equity lies. They all agreed (3 gm's came to talk to me because they knew I played swtor and I ran one the oldest active guilds around and they just literally wanted my opinion. And said they had some new changes coming b4 (im sure over swtor and loss of subscribers) and after panda now, to get back to wow vanilla and the fun factor and exploration and mystery of the game that they think I will really like alot. And you know what? Unlike this game has made me start to do, and question everything im told by a company, I actually believed them, was nice to simply not have to distrust the people speaking to me, like i feel i have come to do here.

I know this is long, but as u can see, these peopel are pissing me off with crap like

http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/

and comments like

Mon, 08/08/2011 - 17:29

This is my new Desktop. Its gorgeous!! I so hope the game and graphics live up to some of these images once it gets on my PC. I'll be in screenshot heaven.

and then being told

Hey everyone, thanks for bearing with us as we investigated the concerns raised here.

After investigation, it seems that the confusion here is a combination of a UI issue that's been resolved and a feature that's working as intended, but the reason why it's 'working as intended' needs explanation.

First, the UI issue. The preferences menu as it is seen on the Public Test Server for version 1.1 of the game is correct - there are only supposed to be two texture choices, 'Low' and 'High'. This replaces the original three-choice preference of Low/Medium/High because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

Here's where we need to explain. As many of you have noted, your character in the game world is rendered using lower resolution textures than inside of cinematic conversation scenes. This was a deliberate decision by the development team. To understand why this was done, I have to briefly talk about MMOs and their engines.

In comparison to single player games and other genres of multiplayer online games, MMOs have much higher variability in the number of characters that can be potentially rendered on-screen at the same time. In MMOs, even though most of the time you'll see a relatively small number of characters on screen, there are certain situations in which many more characters will be seen. Some examples of these situations include popular gathering places in-game (in our case, the two fleets), Operations with large teams, and Warzones. In those scenarios the client (and your PC) has to work hard to show off a lot of characters on-screen.

During development and testing of The Old Republic, our priorities were to ensure the game looked great and performed well. In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs. There were a variety of possible options to help improve performance, but one that was explored and ultimately implemented used what is known as a 'texture atlas'.

To understand that I've got to get technical for a minute. When a character in the game is 'seen' by another character - ie, gets close to your field of view - the client has to 'draw' that character for you to see. As the character is 'drawn' for you there are a number of what are known as 'draw calls' where the client pulls information from the repository it has on your hard disk, including textures, and then renders the character. Every draw call that is made is a demand on your PC, so keeping that number of draw calls low per character is important. With our 'maximum resolution' textures a large number of draw calls are made per character, but that wasn't practical for normal gameplay, especially when a large number of characters were in one place; the number of draw calls made on your client would multiply very quickly. The solution was to 'texture atlas' - essentially to put a number of smaller textures together into one larger texture. This reduces the number of draw calls dramatically and allows the client to render characters quicker, which improves performance dramatically.

When it comes to cinematic scenes, however, characters are rendered using the higher number of draw calls and maximum resolution textures. This is because in those scenes, we have control over exactly how many characters are rendered and can ensure that the game performs well. The transition between 'atlas textured' characters (out of cinematics) and 'maximum resolution' textures (in cinematics) is mostly hidden by the transition between those two states (when the screen goes black), but obviously it's clear if you pay close attention.

In summary; yes, we had a small UI bug that unfortunately caused confusion over how the game is intended to work. The textures you're seeing in the course of normal gameplay are optimized for that mode of play. The textures you're seeing during cinematics are also optimized for that mode of play. They are higher resolution, but that's because we're able to control cinematic scenes to ensure good performance in a way we can't during normal gameplay.

We understand the passion and desire for people to see the same textures you see in our cinematic scenes in the main game. Because of the performance issues that would cause for the client, that's not an immediate and easy fix; we need to ensure we're making choices that the majority of our players will be able to benefit from. Having 'atlassed textures' helps performance overall, and that's a very important goal for us.

With that said, we've heard your feedback here loud and clear. The development team is exploring options to improve the fidelity of the game, particularly for those of you with high-spec PCs. It will be a significant piece of development work and it won't be an overnight change, but we're listening and we're committed to reacting to your feedback.

First, the UI issue. The preferences menu as it is seen on the Public Test Server for version 1.1 of the game is correct - there are only supposed to be two texture choices, 'Low' and 'High'. This replaces the original three-choice preference of Low/Medium/High because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

Really?!!! ****

In summary; yes, we had a small UI bug that unfortunately caused confusion over how the game is intended to work. The textures you're seeing in the course of normal gameplay are optimized for that mode of play. The textures you're seeing during cinematics are also optimized for that mode of play. They are higher resolution, but that's because we're able to control cinematic scenes to ensure good performance in a way we can't during normal gameplay.

OK come the f on, i am not a damn idiot. What the hell is this crap ur still advertising 'in combat' 'high res' and my god do u think im f stupid to try to change a damn definition of cinematic! For real, who the f thinks a conversation is a pre-rendered bump map, shadow map etc cinematic ?!!!!!!!!! My ***!

This is why i may never play this game again if in patch 1.2 as we were told again, it would get better. If my graphics are not fully what was advertised in 1.2, i will be forced to join a lawsuit to shut this game down. I DO NOT WANT THAT I WANT THE GAME TO SUCCEED, SO MY GOD STOP ACTING LIKE YOU CAN"T EVEN READ THIS!!!!!!!

In a video game, graphics quality, is the video games quality or wed all be playing pacman, asteroids and space invaders etc. And when you advertise better graphics which is why half the peopel buy a video game in the first place, then lie to me about it!!! Acting like I am a fool!!! I want a recourse of action. that one step alone, has pissed me off, lossed my trust and makes me distrust anything else you do! Because not only was i lied to in the first place for weeks to keep me from unsubbing, but now they are tryign to hide the crap, AND YOUR STILL F'ING DOING IT !!!!!!! http://www.swtor.com/media/screens/jedi-sage-0

No matter how much i like this game. My integrity is going to make me try to have it shut down. And when your catering to people of integrity on half your game with light side points, YOU WOULD THINK YOU HAD SOME FORM OF KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT INTEGRITY IS! And, you damn well better realize what you just did!!! And fix that crap now! Because there is proof in your own current advertising! Your still false advertising!! And we have tried to tell you about it!!! YOU SHUT DOWN THE FORUM ON IT!!! - And tbh i cant believe other mmo's that you have taken subscribers from, havent sued you out the ***** yet, because it has cost them some major damages; people switching from wow to play sw, many of whom did so based on the graphics advertisements alone - because as many have said this is just basically space wow atm with voice GRAPHICS WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ONE OF THE KEY DEFINING DIFFERENCES, and this is after the forced subscription to get my 30 days included game time shady move!!.

Now not only do i expect the graphics to get fixed, but 4 body options? REALLY? I thought the beta was a limited set fo things you were testing, come to find out its worse then the beta? I AM FLABERGASTED AT A PRODUCT THAT COMES OUT WORSE THEN ITS BETA!! Big grey censor bars on every body? No ability to change things after creation, when u get to see what it actually looks like playing? There is just so much i cant stand about what lured me here.

Now back to trying to see if I can get kira to talk to me because she still says i want to speak to u on your ship, till i get there again and she wont again!!! As usual just like pre-patch, back and forth from planet to ship, at 10k/10k affection, guess ill go back to finishing every planet story line hoping maybe hers will pop up on this next planet or the one after that, like Nar seemed to kick a few off going there. Because there isnt much else to enjoy with my graphics lacking so - space is fun, pvp is sub par, missions are awesome witht he voice and light dark side options, if my graphics worked (what i have to star at almost the entire time i play (I find i repeat conversations just to see wha I COULD LOOK LIKE IF IT WORKED!) much elss actual charcter customization and detail like startrek has, a game that came out years b4 this one, or like second life has, a game that came out almost a decade b4 this one!).

If there was even the amount of customization star trek had, if this game actually looked like it came out in 2012, then ok , I could have some time and energy invested into my character and not feel ripped off. I could stop staring at a blurrry character most fo the entire time i am playing, DO YOU NOT GET THAT?!!! I have to STARE AT MY CHARACTER AND COMPANION THE ENTIRE TIME!!!! FIX ATLEAST THEM, Give me soem character customization that is a decade old in 3d graphics, slider bars for dif body parts, overlays/tattoos etc, atleast what your competitor did years ago on STAR TREK OR SECOND LIFE OR ETC! Atleast WOW I can udnerstand, its 7 years old, photo realistic textures weren't evena standard back then, BUT YOU?!! YOU JUST CAME OUT, YOUR SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE BEST CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION AND GRAPHICS.

SWTOR is the NEW game!!!, Why the hell does it look worse then any other aaa title out there, AND why is there no real customization for my character and what the hell are you doign falsely advertising still and lyign to us when the proof is on your own damn website!!!

STOP GOING BACKWARDS!! STOP TREATING YOU RCOMMUNITY LIKE FOOLS!!, MAN UP AND TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY OR YOUR GOING TO GET SUED AND COST ME A GAME I HAD EXTREMLY HIGH HOPES FOR. SO YOU THINK I WANT YOU TO GET SUED? I WANT YOU TO F"ING SUCCEED OR I WOULDNT EVEN TELL YOU THIS CRAP ID JUST GO HIRE A LAWYER!!

The only reason your stock didnt go bust, is because you flat out started lying to the community and doing the bait and switch bs and swept real issues under the rug to be adressed at some future time. BUT YOUR STOCK WOULD HAVE RISEN IF U'D BEEN HONEST AND JUST FIXED THE DAMN PROBLEM!!!!

I will still be playing for awhile, atleast till 1.2, But if they pull this crap then also to try to keep me subscribing, wanting my graphcis, I already paid for! Idc how much i like starwars, these companies and this game can go screw itself.

You devs hear that? LUCAS, BIOWARE, EA? If u screw me us on 1.2 and lie to me again about these graphics and do not either drop ur screenshot galleries false impretions or actually make what you radvertising be what you have, thats the last straw.

So do I still play wow, hell ya, Will I stop, probably not, Will I keep playing here? we will see whent he false advertising stops.

OH and for the record, if u delete my post, IMA SEND THIS TO MSNBC and any number of other social outlets I can find, I brought this to your forums. For u to address without legal action havening to be taken by anybody, You didnt get it done b4 your first renewal and i bet your paying the price for it, lets see if a second chance works, or if you decide im an even greater fool and f yourselves even more.