Is has potential, but too many features are missing

Dreossk

I have been following this thread for a while and I agree with Dreossk almost on all points, but I started to wonder if we don't idealize the games we played in the past (you know, the grass was greener etc.).

I did some research and here you are:

- real looking cities

- lots of npcs

- kids running

- guards patroling

- awesome graphics

- real water

- wind moving grass

- day/night effects

It feels so polished. Can't believe this game failed.

Hell, maybe I'll renew my subscription.

You don't know why AoC failed? Really? In the first month, the game was almost unplayable with all of the bugs. The combat was interesting but really cluncky. The subs went from 800k to 200k in 3 months until Funcom decided to invest in their game. By the way, the upcoming MMO Secret World is a Funcom game. I'm staying as far away from that as I could.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone who agrees with the OP came to this game expecting SWG2. This game was never meant to be anything like SWG and this was stated from the beginning. If you bought the game without know this, you obviously did absolutely no research what-so-ever on this game.

This game will never be like SWG. SWG was a TERRIBLE GAME. I played it for a couple years. The things people highlight as the great aspects were terrible.

Huge worlds.. I don't want to spend literally hours driving to get some where.

Crafting... The crafting in this game was a chore. It is almost as bad as EVE when it comes to being a full time job. I don't want this.

12 base classes, plus 4 different variations of crafting classes and 3 different sub-classes. Perhaps no one remembers, but there were only around 3 classes that were actually useful.

10 races... SWTOR has 9 so I don't see what the big deal is.

Player cities... oh, you mean those abandoned wastelands that made up unnecessary clutter during my hour drive to get where I am going?

Seriously, everyone remembers this game so fondly, but the only good thing about SWG was the community. You could still have that if you would spend time trying to build it in the game instead of coming to the forums and QQing because the devs made their own game instead of making SWG2.

You didn't read it at all didn't you? What we ask is the basic MMO features and we want BioWare to respect their promises And you can't be serious about the races part.

I did read it all. I replied to it all earlier. You didn't read where I replied to each item in your OP. These are NOT normal THEMEPARK MMO features. These are normal SANDBOX MMO features. This is not a sandbox MMO. Read my post farther up and I discuss each item you talked about in the OP.

And I am serious about the races part. SWTOR has 9 starting races.

Edited by seekerofpower

Oh that was you. Indeed I didn't reply since those were things that were refuted years ago or misunderstood. Dozens of people answered that way and I don't lose time with that kind of post anymore. Edited by Dreossk

Oh that was you. Indeed I didn't reply since those were things that were refuted years ago or misunderstood. Dozens of people answered that way and I don't lose time with that kind of post anymore.

So you ignore the legitimate reasons why your ideas don't work in themepark MMOs? Closed-minded a bit are we?

Actually I agreed with a few things you said, but there are some that are not possible and just not wanted in this type of MMO.

Exactly -- well said. With SWG people worked together, bonded over crafting, housing, ships. The people ran the game with the economy, not the game running the people down a linear path. Anyone that played SWG has fond memories of mature people they met and worked together with. Events and battles fought side by side. Houses and ships held our items and memories. Some were made into museums that you could go to and walk through just looking at new and old items. People were so creative and things you never imagined you could do with objects could be turned into wonderful works of art that would take hours and days to complete.

I gave in and logged into the SWGEmu. As soon as I got to the log in screen I heard the music and I was home. Bugs and all I don't care, it just felt good to be back where you can be what you want to be and go where you want to go and you are the crafter.

I just can't help myself. Due to your post I feel that this should be the theme song for SWG.

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.

Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,

and they're always glad you came.

You wanna be where you can see,

our troubles are all the same

You wanna be where everybody knows

Your name.

You wanna go where people know,

people are all the same,

You wanna go where everybody knows

your name.

Making your way in the world today

Takes everything you've got;

Taking a break from all your worries

Sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

All those night when you've got no lights,

The check is in the mail;

And your little angel

Hung the cat up by it's tail;

And your third fiance didn't show;

Sometimes you want to go

And they're always glad you came;

You want to be where you can see,

Our troubles are all the same;

You want to be where everybody knows your name.

Roll out of bed, Mr. Coffee's dead;

The morning's looking bright;

And your shrink ran off to Europe,

And didn't even write;

And your husband wants to be a girl;

Be glad there's one place in the world

You want to go where people know,

People are all the same;

You want to go where everybody knows your name.

And they're always glad you came.

It is only the 3rd month of release - but if they were to add even half of the suggested ideas into the game it would gain so much.

More ideas:

1. Paid server transfer

2. Paid character race change

3. Buyable vanity mounts (110%)

4. Buyable vanity orange apperance gear

5. Buyable vanity pets

*none will affect character stats or affects*

Many people like to frown on these things, but you need to realise how much revenue is made from a single buyable vanity item.

if a mount is £10, and 500,000 people buy it - thats £5,000,000 for bioware to use on better improving the game.

There is no doubt that Bioware is still trying to breakeven with this game, any additional cash in their pocket would mean more staff, more content and better CS.

/signed

The OP made a very good list of suggestions. I don't think the game is disappointing right now. I've been playing for 48 days, and I'm still engaged. But I'm working under the assumption that they will continue to improve and add features at a rapid clip. I'd be upset if the game stayed the way it is for more than 6 months.

The two things that trouble me the most are

1) The game environment feels sterile to me. I'd like weather, daylight variation, more background music, more comedy, and more surprises (even if those surprises get me killed). I'm having a hard time leveling any alts past 20, because I just don't want to go to those worlds again and see the exact same thing I saw the first time. Small details like weather (and large details like world pvp) spice things up and make the game less predictable. The occasional roving elite would not be unwelcome as far as I'm concerned.

2) The lack of guild features hinders our productivity. At a minimum we need

-log (who joined, who left)

-last login (so we can see who's been offline for more than a month)

-bank (so we can share crafting mats easily)

-bigger description (there's barely enough room to display website and vent info, and only if you click on Details)

-calendar (we have one on our website, but many people don't want to use it because it involves tabbing out of the game)

I'm willing to be somewhat patient because this is a new game, and it's unreasonable to expect that it would have all the features of an established MMO on the very first day. However, the reality is that many of the players who came to SWTOR from other games are really missing those advanced features, and the fact that they don't exist and may not even be planned is going to take the shine off this game pretty quickly.

In the past years? This game has been out for less than 2 months... How have you been countering these arguments for years?

All these points were brought several years ago when we got the first screenshots, video or information. We wanted the game to be the best and succeed so we talked about it a a lot saying some of the same things words for words and refuting the detractors but most of it went unanswered by BioWare and now we repeat it again, in hope to save what's left of the game.

Edited by Dreossk

All these points were brought several years ago when we got the first screenshots, video or information. We wanted the game to be the best and succeed so we talked about it a a lot saying some of the same things words for words and refuting the detractors but most of it went unanswered by BioWare and now we repeat it again, in hope to save what's left of the game.

They said from the beginning that this was not going to be a sandbox MMO. 90% of the features you ask for are features common to sandbox MMOs, not themepark MMOs.

You generalize the term MMO like there is only 1 kind and they are all made the same way and should have the same stuff. This is not the case. There are many types of MMOs and the things you want are NOT common across all types. They are common to 1 type. The sandbox, which SWTOR is not and was never meant to be.

Like what?

I wrote an entire post responding to each thing you said you want. I point out the ones that are common only to sandbox MMOs. I also point out the things I agree with. Read it. I am not retyping the whole answer because you refuse to read posts that refute your "great ideas."

I read it and things like swimming, having big worlds or housing is not limited to sandbox games, that's why I ask.

And in each instance I said why it wasn't needed in this game at the moment.

Swimming is not needed as there is no where to swim to. I completely debunked your example from the first movie, as the point was ridiculous when you made it. Swimming in general is not a sandbox feature, but if it was implemented for the purpose of exploring giant underwater cities, then it becomes a sandbox type feature.

Big, fully explorable worlds are a staple of sandbox games. On that point, you are absolutely wrong. That is one of the things that defines a sandbox environment.

Player housing of the kind you want is usually reserved for sandbox games. I stated that I would be ok with instanced housing (i.e. being able to customize the inside of your ship).

Once again, I don't think you actually read my post.

Edited by seekerofpower

Waited since it first was announced, hell i anticipated this since the 2006 rumors. But i unsubbed today. All my guildies, friends and Early access friends all quit. I agree with you OP on all terms.

Blizzard earned their place in the MMO industry. If you want to compete then you have to work extra hard. Quit using the whole "WoW has 7 years on it" crap. All we got was a poorly optimized game with little end game content and features. Does it have potential? you bet it does!

Ironic part is, are these biodrones/fanboys aren't who Bioware listen or pay attention to. They made this for the money and defending a game that clearly still needs a lot of work done is only hurting it. I can't believe how blind and ignorant some of these people are. I'm guessing most are altholics, didn't reach level 50 yet and/or never played an mmo before. Either way i hope bioware the best and will defiantly be keeping my eyes on its development.

I think they simply can't fill the environment with more life and add highres textures ..

because the engine is badly coded and far from omptimized, it would blow people's computers up.

see all the fps issues threads in the customer forum. people with good/awesome rigs are having heavy fps drops everywhere in endgame. some kind software engineers / tech-savvy people posted there too and figured out that it's 100% the engine's fault.

there are too many flaws in this game, too many bad design decisions like ilum, the reward system etc pp. I really see no future for this game.

there are too many flaws in this game, too many bad design decisions like ilum, the reward system etc pp. I really see no future for this game.

I'm afraid you might be right, hopefully we are wrong as there won't be another SW MMO before say at least 5 years (think more 8).

The guild summit might give us a good idea of what to expect/not.

Still even for an MMO the game in its actual iteration isn't worth a monthly fee, especially $15 when you compare it to others MMO around. It will be even worse when GW2 will launch with a F2P system.