Neutral or Gray Alignment is a handicap.

MrMack

well I guess since it's been confirmed, now I'll just sit here and patiently wait for yet another patch to give us something that should have definitely been available at launch... but hey, at least us early comers get a pretty little badge and title, yay right? that should make up for the neglection of such simple concepts. ::sarcasm::

If you are unhappy with the game then don't play. I'd love to see the horrid game all the doom and gloom players would develop if they could develop a game.

Devs have said they acknowledge this issue and are working on a solution, one that involves neutral gear.

They've been working on that solution literally since beta, maybe before.

Edit: Fell for the necro :/

Oh well, point still stands.

Edited by Thaed

Yay for the necro! However while it's not really a handicap unless you're doing some sub50 PvP and feel like you NEED to have the best gear possible it doesn't make any bit of difference.

However, the one thing that does drive me crazy a little bit is on one of my toons I have it at a 10k Light and 10k Dark (bounces back and forth since it doesn't lock) is exactly what I put in the brackets. It would be nice to have an option to actually lock it in once you've hit 10k on both light and dark, like an accomplishment of sorts. Maybe even a title? All I know is it's annoying sometimes I am full darkside sometimes I'm full lightside back and forth... Fix this please = )

As a neutral character, you are - at most - slightly handicaped during leveling and "fresh"-50.

You can equip the Matrix Shard and/or PvP and/or Daily-Com Relics, none of them bound to either Light or Dark Side.

After all, there is a handicap, but not in endgame and only a slight one before.

There was "rumour" of the grey players being rewarded with their own items. I'm guessing they will have requirements such as:

Cannot be Light >=LIght 3 or >=Dark 3

Or something along those lines. But it was just rumour and although rumour wasn't as nasty as curiosity and no cats were harmed, no guarantee the idea will ever see the light of day.

Is it really a big deal, no. However, think about all the little things that arent a big deal. They start to add up. A bunch of small holes can become a large crater. This game has a bunch of small holes. It has some larger ones too. Some people can live with the game not having this or that but when the game has alot of this or thats missing then it becomes a problem. Not too mention, when developers state they are working on something and a year later it still doesnt exist, then you start to lose faith.

Ask yourself this... what are some of the things you love about this game. Name around 10 of them. Now subtract 1 and think about if its a big deal. Now subtract 2 and ask yourself the same thing. Subtract 3 and 4 more. Now ask yourself if you would still be playing.

Some people like certain features. It may be a few features you could care less about. 100 or 1000 or 10000 other players might care alot about those features. Then you take a pile of other things and say the same thing about them. Could be 10000 more people care about exactly that. Now wonder why the game lost more then half the playerbase.

The game didnt lose that many players over any little thing. It lost that many players because of a lot of little things put together.

Edited by Soluss

I don't see why this has taken so long. They could just base the gear on number of "Alignment points" total, with restrictions on Light/Dark alignment...

For instance, my BH has 1950 Light points and 1800 Dark points for 3750 total points, with an alignment of "Neutral +250".

The Neutral gear can just be based on alignment points total, like "Must have 3000 Alignment points and be Neutral"

I think this gets attention because the Dev's have promised it repeatedly, several times, over the course of the last year+, and nothing has been done.

Plus, this negates the alignment system in total, as then it isn't about "your character" and becomes about "farming points" for bonuses/gear. You are basically penalized for being anything but the highest dark/light side. It's like saying "we're going to put a morality system in place, but unless you're completely evil or completely good, you don't have access to everything," when in any good system of moral decisions, no one is (or should be) ever completely evil/good.

Also, the last KOTOR game (The Sith Lords) HEAVILY stressed the negativity of doing things all evil/good and promoted pragmatism or the rebellion against pragmatism. Why move backwards in storytelling from that?

Personally, I believe the whole light/neutral/dark thing is soo poorly done it isnt funny. There should be big consequences and big benefits for going either one. Neutral should be fodder in itself and should be a handicap. Pick a side and deal with the consequences and earn the benefits. They should not be the same either. This game has enough "mirrors".

Its just another cool concept that was poorly implemented, just like legacy and decisions that "matter".

The gear for light and dark isn't even very good. A few relics for differing levels, some lowbee gear, a few orange pieces, two speeders, and a mini-pet.

Doesn't really matter. This coming from a guy with mostly neutral characters.

Yep. The only thing that was really unique to light/dark was the saber/blaster color crystals and that changed 6 months ago.

By the time you hit end game you will be chasing other gear and there is a good selection of orange if you want to change it up.

There is absolutely zero benefit or in game tie in to light/dark at end game at this point. Ironically this "choose your own destiny" angle was the calling card of their story line missions and it's purposeless now.

They have been saying that since waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in beta.

Yes, and I dont think Ive seen anything of the sort.

Plus, this negates the alignment system in total, as then it isn't about "your character" and becomes about "farming points" for bonuses/gear. You are basically penalized for being anything but the highest dark/light side. It's like saying "we're going to put a morality system in place, but unless you're completely evil or completely good, you don't have access to everything," when in any good system of moral decisions, no one is (or should be) ever completely evil/good.

Quoting this for truth for the odd chance that a dev might actually read it and look upon themselves.

Edited by Karkais

The entire alignment system is a fail anyway if you ask me. It truly doesn't matter what you do within the content, whether you kill off everybody or let them live, the final outcome is the same anyway. The quests in between don't really change. Furthermore, there are no true restricted areas to a certain side which could play an incentive, such as grey/dark sided jedi's for example be allowed to be accepted in Dromund Kaas for example.

As such, it's just a spam single side button in the quests to get your vendor access unlocked.

Relics are a pretty big deal. They can add quite a bit to a character, and a 0/0 Neutral character can't equip any relics ever.

Completely false, there are pvp and pve relics available @ lvl 50.

And before you say anything about you NEED relics to level you don't. 4/5 of my toons went without till lvl 50.

Also, the last KOTOR game (The Sith Lords) HEAVILY stressed the negativity of doing things all evil/good and promoted pragmatism or the rebellion against pragmatism. Why move backwards in storytelling from that?

Probably because 1.This is BiOWare not Obsidian, they have ignored a ton of what happened in the game. and 2.Because Kreia was wrong, flatly wrong.

You couldn't even pick a prestige class in TSL without being at least 2/3 on the way to either light side or dark side mastery! Game mechanics HEAVILY rewarded sticking to one side even though the story was indeed about how it's not always black or white.

Relics are a pretty big deal. They can add quite a bit to a character, and a 0/0 Neutral character can't equip any relics ever.

lol every endgame relic is neutral. and at lvl 37 I think you can get 2x 37 endurance relics with a 2min cd use. That is something but not really a big deal either.

Was ment to be a neutral option and a perk from legacy if you got a level 50 grey character but it never came in.

In pre-launch Bioware said that they would make all play styles equally relevant and you wouldn't be penalised for not going all light or all dark. Sadly this was wrong, while relics are only a minor thing and the perk can be purchased for 150,000 credits. Often lightsabers will be alignment bound at least the orange ones. Often specific saber looks will be dark or light restricted. Along with light and dark specific clothing which can be annoying if you like the look but nothing for grey alignment.

This simply leads to grey not being as useful a choice as maxing light or dark, which also bring with them titles if such things are important to you. Given such may be seen as very minor it seems either a shame grey couldn't have something equal or the alignment restriction is removed completely. Along with that you could remove light/dark completely as it seems to offer very very little to the game.

Probably because 1.This is BiOWare not Obsidian, they have ignored a ton of what happened in the game. and 2.Because Kreia was wrong, flatly wrong.

Rayla you would be surprised how many people take ALL of kriea's words as gospel. Some people don't even realize that majority of the time kriea is spouting sith teachings at you.

Edited by lokdron