Solo flashpoints with companions

NoxiousAlby

As for what's good for the game - it's about maintaining subscriptions. ENCOURAGING social interaction via optional content like Flashpoints is a great way to help maintain subscriptions. So is adding new and compelling solo content. I'm not talking about forcing people to group, but you design a game like this to encourage it. And it is a simple fact that one of the factors that causes people to keep subscribing is the connections they make with people in game.

I agree maintaining subscriptions over the long term is what every RPGMMO on the market strives for. Yes making meaningless social interaction is a good way to keep some people coming back but for a great many it has no impact at all. For the young MMO's do serve as pseudo "facebook", but I will go out on a limb and say this game attracts an older player as well.

I don't assume that people will have no choice - they can just not do the Flashpoint, it's OPTIONAL CONTENT. Just like having compelling solo content as OPTIONAL CONTENT isn't forcing people to solo - and it's also a good way to increase and maintain subscriptions. On the other hand, taking your optional content that encourages socialization and has mechanics requiring the group of human players and then allowing players to attempt to solo it with the assistance of in-game agents that are not able to replicate human players is a great way to create player frustration with the game itself which results in DECREASED subscriptions.

And you're actually not arguing against what I've said at this point - I'm the one arguing for compelling new solo content, and here you are going on as if I'm saying the game shouldn't cater to the full playerbase (Can you recognize that you do not and cannot cater to everyone with the same thing?). And further, it is your side's argument, that it's about what players want, that said that raiding should be removed. I am saying that it DOESN'T MATTER that it's only enjoyed by minority if it's good for the game, just like it doesn't MATTER if a majority wants it if it's bad for the game.

What you need to grasp is that while not wholly irrelevant, the opinion of players as to whether or not they like something is not remotely close to being the determining factor on what's good for the game.

I understand your arguement on "whats good for the game" but in reality it doesnt work. Player dissatisfaction always leads to lost subscriptions, so while a decision made may be good for the game it will always cost money. Cataclysm last year is a point in case, while many decisions were made that were good for the game, it resulted in dissatisfied customers.

I wont assume to ask for specific new content, in all honesty BW would have their hands full at the moment. If new solo content ,and lets be specific about this, was to be created it would be a very long time before we saw it (just my opinion). I dont want new solo quests, I would like to use all the resources BW have given us in the game (our companions). I want a reason to gear other than 1 companion and to be able to utilise all their skills of tanking, healing, etc. My assumption was that it would be easier to do this with current content, perhaphs starting with Heroic Quests. I do think some of the easier Flashpoints like BT would be challenging to do and not impossible.

I dont want all content to be available as solo with 3 companions, but a bone would be nice.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree maintaining subscriptions over the long term is what every RPGMMO on the market strives for. Yes making meaningless social interaction is a good way to keep some people coming back but for a great many it has no impact at all. For the young MMO's do serve as pseudo "facebook", but I will go out on a limb and say this game attracts an older player as well.

That's why there's no single solution. However, once people have friends in game, they keep coming back to have fun with those friends. If one person in a Flashpoint were to maintain contact with the other three and continue play the game with each, that's possibly four stable subscriptions from just one Flashpoint run before we even get into the subjects of interpersonal networking, in-group/out-group dynamics, and so forth.

Then there's the fact that people who've become physically distant can use this as a way to continue to make mutual plans, which maintains a close friendship despite distance, but that's not really relevant to the point.

I understand your arguement on "whats good for the game" but in reality it doesnt work. Player dissatisfaction always leads to lost subscriptions, so while a decision made may be good for the game it will always cost money. Cataclysm last year is a point in case, while many decisions were made that were good for the game, it resulted in dissatisfied customers.

I wont assume to ask for specific new content, in all honesty BW would have their hands full at the moment. If new solo content ,and lets be specific about this, was to be created it would be a very long time before we saw it (just my opinion). I dont want new solo quests, I would like to use all the resources BW have given us in the game (our companions). I want a reason to gear other than 1 companion and to be able to utilise all their skills of tanking, healing, etc. My assumption was that it would be easier to do this with current content, perhaphs starting with Heroic Quests. I do think some of the easier Flashpoints like BT would be challenging to do and not impossible.

I dont want all content to be available as solo with 3 companions, but a bone would be nice.

Again, no single solution. Stop ignoring about the fact that I'm in favour of solo content - I just to be good solo content, not something that pretends to be and winds up creating frustration and dissatisfaction (due to the inability to complete Flashpoint X this way becoming a much bigger stumbling block) while also weakening the efficacy of a subscription-stabilizing aspect.

They were talking about solo content before launch - I'm pretty confident it's on the calendar already.

Edited by Inarai

I would like to be able to truly solo flashpoints with 3 of my companions

I have dps, tank, & healing companions but most never get used nor do I bother to gear them for that reason. Being able to solo flashpoints using them would change that, not to mention I would run flashpoints more often.

At first I had the knee-jerk reaction of NO FLASHPOINTS ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FOR GROUPS, but then I thought what if it was only for easy mode, because I think it would be a challenge then. CCing mobs, and giving orders to all your companions.

But then, is it do able?

I think the last thing we need is more solo content... people already don't team up unless it's for a heroic mission (which so many people just skip anyway) or for a FP, it makes things very boring for those of us who would rather play a more team-play oriented game like other MMOs I've played (not WoW). In City of Heroes I play EVERY mission in the WHOLE game with a team, of 8 people max + pets, and I love it, because the game is designed to encourage peole to always want to team up. And it's very difficult to get social points when everyone's all Han Soloing all over the place. Edited by AeonWeapon

I think the last thing we need is more solo content... people already don't team up unless it's for a heroic mission (which so many people just skip anyway) or for a FP, it makes things very boring for those of us who would rather play a more team-play oriented game like other MMOs I've played (not WoW). In City of Heroes I play EVERY mission in the WHOLE game with a team, of 8 people max + pets, and I love it, because the game is designed to encourage peole to always want to team up. And it's very difficult to get social points when everyone's all Han Soloing all over the place.

I`ve played on both sides of the argument. AO was heavily team based when I was playing it. The level cap was 200 and the game was virtually unsoloable for 100+ for leveling. Since then, the leveling speed was increased and more options made available to level up solo. It has the upside that if you fall behind by a day, no-one would notice and you can keep teaming with the same people. The downside is that it`s pure grind.

LOTRO is the quest based MMO that was soloable to max level. There were story quests that required teams, and they would create bottlenecks for players. Since then, not only has there been many new instances designed for groups, but the old bottlenecked story quests were redesigned to be soloable. Unless I`m pre-teamed with someone and leveling together, I skip the group quests because I don`t want to be idle while looking for a team. I love LOTRO`s scalable skirmishes, and I would like to see Flashpoints become something similar. You can solo most of them for fun and minor loot, but for the loot worth having you need a team. LOTRO still keeps Instances (aka Raids) separate and only available to teams, but the ones that are important for the story were modified to have a solo version available.

As much as I love Anarchy Online, I prefer the latter method. Getting home from work and spending the next 2 hours idle while trying to find a team is not something I ever want to do again.

Social points are a carrot SWTOR has to encourage players to team up. The group quests are also dailies, which is further incentive for players to help out other players on quests they have already done. Because SWTOR is a quest based MMO, it`s not easy to team up with players unless you are already at the same quest points. If one player has to leave for as little as an hour, when they return it`s not very feasible to resume questing unless the other player(s) remained idle for that time period (or spend the hour catching up the AFKer).

The main reason players run group content (such as flashpoints & operations) more than once is for the loot, and the same holds true in any other MMO. The loot is the carrot used to encourage teaming for flashpoints. The solo version should be available only for the story aspect. If players want the loot, they need to team up.

The existence of quests as the primary method of leveling is what discourages teaming, but the alternative is a grind that players find boring.

I'd have a lot of fun with this and I don't think it would be that game breaking. Your companions area always weaker than an evenly geared player who fills the same roll, so it's not like the flashpoints of appropriate level would be very easy solo.

Not to mention, there are a lot of neat companioins that all take a backseat once the player gets their healer companion... I'd like to have a reason to hang out with Kira again.

I think the last thing we need is more solo content... people already don't team up unless it's for a heroic mission (which so many people just skip anyway) or for a FP, it makes things very boring for those of us who would rather play a more team-play oriented game like other MMOs I've played (not WoW). In City of Heroes I play EVERY mission in the WHOLE game with a team, of 8 people max + pets, and I love it, because the game is designed to encourage peole to always want to team up. And it's very difficult to get social points when everyone's all Han Soloing all over the place.

I'm not suggesting that grouping be scrapped, quite the opposite. Surely there are times your logged on and none of your friends are present? you couldnt be bothered wasting 30min typing LFG just to run a Heroic quest. And as you said yourself it appears some players as a result are just skipping them anyway, so being able to run them with 3 companions is an alternative.

Your complaint is that many players will use the 3 companion system therefore reducing the player pool available for grouping. This may very well happen to a small degree but more importantly players who refuse to group (whatever their reason) will get to participate more in the game, not to mention players who only play for a few hours a night and cant afford to sit around waiting for a group. I can only see this as a positive thing

I'd like this as well. The flashpoints are a fairly major part of the game. The flashpoint mission givers show up all over the single player quest line yet they're extremely difficult, if not impossible, to play SP. Give us less loot drops or something, just make it possible to see the content at least.

Why not let a SP pull all their companions in for Flashpoints? I don't think we should be held back from content because we can't find other players to group with us. It's all about time in the end, you have enough and grouping will be easy, if you're only able to play for an hour and you don't want it "wasted" you go for content you know you can play through. It's extremely disappointing to try and do the flashpoints and never get to play because for one reason or another a group never comes together. And it's 4 people!?! How horrible is the grouping system when it's this hard to find 4 people quickly?! Makes perfect sense to offer better rewards to people who group with players though, I don't see why we can't have our cake and eat it too in this case.

Edited by TumblerSW

I'd like this as well. The flashpoints are a fairly major part of the game. The flashpoint mission givers show up all over the single player quest line yet they're extremely difficult, if not impossible, to play SP. Give us less loot drops or something, just make it possible to see the content at least.

Why not let a SP pull all their companions in for Flashpoints? I don't think we should be held back from content because we can't find other players to group with us. It's all about time in the end, you have enough and grouping will be easy, if you're only able to play for an hour and you don't want it "wasted" you go for content you know you can play through. It's extremely disappointing to try and do the flashpoints and never get to play because for one reason or another a group never comes together. And it's 4 people!?! How horrible is the grouping system when it's this hard to find 4 people quickly?! Makes perfect sense to offer better rewards to people who group with players though, I don't see why we can't have our cake and eat it too in this case.

Very nicely put

Another issue best addressed now rather than 12 months down the track is Heroic quests. As another poster put it many people seem to be skipping them rather than wasting the time looking for a group. BW have said they wish to incorporate it into their version of LFG which is all good and fine, but if you only have a short period of time in which to play waiting for a group to pop may not be the answer. I would much prefer to be able to utilise 3 companions to complete the Heroic quests. For me personaly in the first 2 weeks I ran all the Heroic quests available as their was a surplus of players doing them, in the last 3 weeks i've done 2 which has been very dissapointing.

Very nicely put

Another issue best addressed now rather than 12 months down the track is Heroic quests. As another poster put it many people seem to be skipping them rather than wasting the time looking for a group. BW have said they wish to incorporate it into their version of LFG which is all good and fine, but if you only have a short period of time in which to play waiting for a group to pop may not be the answer. I would much prefer to be able to utilise 3 companions to complete the Heroic quests. For me personaly in the first 2 weeks I ran all the Heroic quests available as their was a surplus of players doing them, in the last 3 weeks i've done 2 which has been very dissapointing.

While I like solutions for easy-mode flashpoints, those already have varying difficulties and the prime reason being loot (which can be removed from the solo version). Heroics are a different issue, and since some of them aren't instanced require a different solution.

I don't like the idea of solo-mode Heroics because the main reason players do them before 50 is for the story. They're daily quests but players don't bother doing them again unless someone they know needs it.

Social points is a nice carrot for them. Making all the Heroic/Group quests a daily was a great incentive for players doing them over again for someone else. On the other hand, players are rarely on the same planet long enough to be in a position to help someone they know the next day.

I think those ones need to stay group so that there is something quest based that requires a group. If these are solo, what's the purpose in the group version? I skip them too, so my hope is on a better LFG system that helps in finding teams for these group quests. Every LFG system I've seen has been designed for the end-game raids and not the mid-game quests. It's a very narrow window where I'm close enough to the mission location to be interested in a team before I move on to other quests. The only time I've done them had been when guildmates were in my level range on my planet. Otherwise, they're not worth my time.

• 2 weeks later...

Very dissapointed BW, I know you are busy but perhaphs some indication of whats on the cards with companions, solo play, and the future of heroic quests (which I guarantee within 12 months player participation will almost be extinct.)

I naturaly dont expect a reply in this thread but read the dev tracker everyday looking for something touching on the above. Give me a reason to continue playing & paying

I would like to be able to truly solo flashpoints with 3 of my companions

I have dps, tank, & healing companions but most never get used nor do I bother to gear them for that reason. Being able to solo flashpoints using them would change that, not to mention I would run flashpoints more often.

If BW implemented this, you'd see tons of people flooding the forums complaining that FPs are too hard to solo with 3 companions and that BW has to make them easier.

What's next? Solo raids? Solo PvP?

Edited by TheRealDestian

I naturaly dont expect a reply in this thread but read the dev tracker everyday looking for something touching on the above. Give me a reason to continue playing & paying

You and the 12,000 other people looking for their "winning suggestions" to pop up for consideration.

Don't be "that guy"...

If BW implemented this, you'd see tons of people flooding the forums complaining that FPs are too hard to solo with 3 companions and that BW has to make them easier.

What's next? Solo raids? Solo PvP?

Seriously? I think your wrong............ I think there would be a great deal of happy paying customers that continue to pay for their game for years to come knowing that they dont have to play with the flotsam on the interwebs.

Why not solo raids? and players already solo pvp unless your part of a premade. For me personaly i'm tired of funding content for raiders that I dont participate in, it's time a game offered alternatives other than grouped raiding.

You and the 12,000 other people looking for their "winning suggestions" to pop up for consideration.

Don't be "that guy"...

All i'm asking is for some feedback on the dev tracker that doesnt cover bug fixes, raiding, rated warzones (premades), & arena. If there is going to be no end game content apart from grouped content then let them say so & i'll take my bat & ball & go play elsewhere.

BW went to great lengths to appeal to casuals & solo players months before launch, i'm just asking for some insight & even went as far as offering a suggestion. If my style of gameplay wont be available all they have to do is say so, no problem here, no complaint, just let me know where I stand so I can decide which way i'll go.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

I see two basic reasons why you won't see this.

1. Soloing a Flashpoint with 3 companions will be harder to do than with 4 active players. At least for most people. Therefore there will be pressure to make them easier ("If you are allowed to take companions then that's what they intended us to do") which may make them too easy for groups.

2. People that like to group can only get groups if there are other people around that are looking to group. There are lots of people that, given the choice of soloing a flashpoint and doing it with a group, would prefer to do it alone. Unfortunately, this is likely to drop the pool of "people to group with" below viability. So forcing solo people to group in order to do the harder content tends to be necessary in order to serve the needs of group players.

This may not serve the needs of solo players perfectly, but there is lots of solo content in the game, so it is not like solo players are completely barred from playing the game if they don't want to group.

EDIT: All that said, I primarily solo so I would be perfectly fine if you could bring 3 companions adventuring with you. Open world PVP could be quite interesting if everyone had lots of companions with them. 10 people on each side with 3 companions each and you almost have an army. Have fun getting everyone's soldier companions in any sort of battle line, though.

Edited by sjmc

I see two basic reasons why you won't see this.

1. Soloing a Flashpoint with 3 companions will be harder to do than with 4 active players. At least for most people. Therefore there will be pressure to make them easier ("If you are allowed to take companions then that's what they intended us to do") which may make them too easy for groups.

2. People that like to group can only get groups if there are other people around that are looking to group. There are lots of people that, given the choice of soloing a flashpoint and doing it with a group, would prefer to do it alone. Unfortunately, this is likely to drop the pool of "people to group with" below viability. So forcing solo people to group in order to do the harder content tends to be necessary in order to serve the needs of group players.

This may not serve the needs of solo players perfectly, but there is lots of solo content in the game, so it is not like solo players are completely barred from playing the game if they don't want to group.

EDIT: All that said, I primarily solo so I would be perfectly fine if you could bring 3 companions adventuring with you. Open world PVP could be quite interesting if everyone had lots of companions with them. 10 people on each side with 3 companions each and you almost have an army. Have fun getting everyone's soldier companions in any sort of battle line, though.

I bolded the part of your reply that stuck out, it was the same when Blizz announced a random raid finder. Raiders were up in arms because they felt it would reduce the size of their raiding pool. Honestly I couldnt care less if the size of the grouping pool diminished as it would only show peoples preferable method of play.

Actually theres very little solo content once you have finished the class quests and level capped. I have a 50 mara & 46 Trooper as well as a few characters in their mid 20's, sadly some classes (warrior & inquisitor) have very similar storylines that I lost interest in my Inquisitor knowing what was to come. After level cap we have pvp & railed space combat, thats it. Everything else in the game requires a group

Seriously? I think your wrong............ I think there would be a great deal of happy paying customers that continue to pay for their game for years to come knowing that they dont have to play with the flotsam on the interwebs.

Why not solo raids? and players already solo pvp unless your part of a premade. For me personaly i'm tired of funding content for raiders that I dont participate in, it's time a game offered alternatives other than grouped raiding.

1. The amount of headache BW would receive from people complaining about FPs being undoable with companions alone would be a huge PITA.

2. The amount of programming it would take to do this, considering that the game currently only allows you to control ONE companion at a time, would make this a monumental task.

3. The entire point of raiding is that it adds play time to an endgame that would otherwise be "over" in a matter of hours. Seriously, as soon as players get their full "set" through raiding, they no longer have a reason to play the game.

If you were able to take your companions raiding, you'd have them geared within 2 weeks and would then join the chorus of players complaining of nothing to do.

All i'm asking is for some feedback on the dev tracker that doesnt cover bug fixes, raiding, rated warzones (premades), & arena. If there is going to be no end game content apart from grouped content then let them say so & i'll take my bat & ball & go play elsewhere.

BW went to great lengths to appeal to casuals & solo players months before launch, i'm just asking for some insight & even went as far as offering a suggestion. If my style of gameplay wont be available all they have to do is say so, no problem here, no complaint, just let me know where I stand so I can decide which way i'll go.

Let me get this straight...

You come here, ask Bioware to REMAKE THE ENTIRE MMO into a single player game (which they WOULD have to do, what with programming the game to support multiple companions and adjusting the difficulty of EVERY SINGLE FP/OPS for companion play), then you whine that they haven't immediately acknowledged your opinions on the dev tracker by giving you a yes or no answer?

I'll answer it right now: no, they are NOT going to redo the game so it's KOTOR 3. Go play elsewhere.

Try WoW and it's raid finder, where you CAN basically raid solo, thus completely removing the point of raids to start with and watering down the experience into just another crappy dungeon.

The answer to the lack of people to group with is a server-specific dungeon finder so you can click a button and find instant groupmates, not to remake the entire game into a solo experience and thus completely defeat the purpose of it being an MMO.

Edited by TheRealDestian

I bolded the part of your reply that stuck out, it was the same when Blizz announced a random raid finder. Raiders were up in arms because they felt it would reduce the size of their raiding pool. Honestly I couldnt care less if the size of the grouping pool diminished as it would only show peoples preferable method of play.
I expect I would be quite happy. I was just explaining why it is probably unlikely that we will see it happen.

Actually theres very little solo content once you have finished the class quests and level capped. I have a 50 mara & 46 Trooper as well as a few characters in their mid 20's, sadly some classes (warrior & inquisitor) have very similar storylines that I lost interest in my Inquisitor knowing what was to come. After level cap we have pvp & railed space combat, thats it. Everything else in the game requires a group
I was looking at it from a pre-50 (although approaching) viewpoint. This game has a lot more solo content than EQ2 did at launch (which was the last launch game I played).

I would always like more solo content. Please don't get me wrong.

1. The amount of headache BW would receive from people complaining about FPs being undoable with companions alone would be a huge PITA.

As a 10 year veteran of rpgmmo's and someone who raided for 5 years I disagree YET again. The above is your opinion, my opinion is that like 90% of the respondants in this thread would be ecstatic.

2. The amount of programming it would take to do this, considering that the game currently only allows you to control ONE companion at a time, would make this a monumental task.

Perhaphs but it would require far less work than creating an entirely new operation that my monthly fee contributes towards providing additional content for raiders that I no longer wish to participate in. A.K.A. Tired of funding for content that only the minority participate in.

3. The entire point of raiding is that it adds play time to an endgame that would otherwise be "over" in a matter of hours. Seriously, as soon as players get their full "set" through raiding, they no longer have a reason to play the game.

Well guess what, players that dont want to raid have absolutely no reason to play this game after reaching level 50 so you have at least a few more months up on us there.

If you were able to take your companions raiding, you'd have them geared within 2 weeks and would then join the chorus of players complaining of nothing to do.

Wrong, because unlike you we dont have 1 main.............we would gear our first level 50 and run them again with another lvl 50 with his/her companions. In other words with 8 characters per server we would get years of fun & pleasure out of Swtor. Add in new content we could solo with our companions and there would be far to busy to even be on the forums "complaining we are bored".

Let me get this straight...

You come here, ask Bioware to REMAKE THE ENTIRE MMO into a single player game (which they WOULD have to do, what with programming the game to support multiple companions and adjusting the difficulty of EVERY SINGLE FP/OPS for companion play), then you whine that they haven't immediately acknowledged your opinions on the dev tracker by giving you a yes or no answer?

Either you have difficulty reading or your comprehension is sorely lacking. If you were around 12 months prior to beta you'd be aware that Swtor was supposed to be solo/casual friendly game. I am not asking for anything to be remade, I am asking what is in the pipeline to encourage players like myself to keep playing. You understand? do I need to change the size fonts?

I'll answer it right now: no, they are NOT going to redo the game so it's KOTOR 3. Go play elsewhere.

Thats all good and fine, but I would prefer it if BW told me that all future content will be grouped content and then I will happily go play elsewhere. Your suggestion of speaking on BW behalf is purely obnoxious, arrogant, and all to common of the flotsam that tends to infect rpgmmo's.

Try WoW and it's raid finder, where you CAN basically raid solo, thus completely removing the point of raids to start with and watering down the experience into just another crappy dungeon.

Been there & done that, played wow for 7 years.........funded all by myself for the entirety of the duration and have no desire to return. Your attitude is beyond poor and i'm starting to think that anyone who suggests anything that your afraid might interfere with your concept of difficulty & fun is quickly esponged with venomous hate.

The answer to the lack of people to group with is a server-specific dungeon finder so you can click a button and find instant groupmates, not to remake the entire game into a solo experience and thus completely defeat the purpose of it being an MMO.

Wrong and you have accurately proven me right, while people exist over the internet such as yourself why on earth would anyone ever wish to participate in grouped content? Your one of the reasons why so many players prefer & enjoy solo play.

Thanks for your input in my thread, of all the replies there have been only 3 hate threads. Consider yourself to be amongst minority, and for showing why solo play has become more popular over the last few years. Your opinions have been noted & discarded.

Edited by NoxiousAlby