Solo flashpoints with companions

NoxiousAlby

I would like to be able to run solo versions of existing flashpoints & operations with 3-5 of my companions.

I have dps, tank, & healing companions but most never get used nor do I bother to gear them for that reason. Being able to run solo versions of flashpoints & operations using companions would change that, not to mention I would run flashpoints more often. There could be a lower loot table and modified boss mechanics, that would provide months of entertainment.

Edited by NoxiousAlby

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer that people have to work together, this isn't a single player game and shouldn't tailor everything to be completed single player. I think this will also cause people to fight more over gear to give to their companions.

Why cant it be both? give the players the choice of running flashpoints with friends or guildies or with your companions. We have 5 of them lets put them to use

Flashpoints are designed to be grouped. They could be made to scale, or something - but there's a reason they're not. The point is to get you playing with other people.

I'm on board with more solo content - including flashpoint/hardmode/op equivalent progression, however; this is best done as new content designed for the differing aspects of challenge.

I would like to be able to truly solo flashpoints with 3 of my companions

I have dps, tank, & healing companions but most never get used nor do I bother to gear them for that reason. Being able to solo flashpoints using them would change that, not to mention I would run flashpoints more often.

This is a pretty good idea. I think that companions shouldnt be as good in FPs as a player but if someone wants to run them with companions, let them.

Why cant it be both? give the players the choice of running flashpoints with friends or guildies or with your companions. We have 5 of them lets put them to use

It's not that they can't be, it's that it would fail to serve their purpose in the game. New content would be a better idea.

Because it's a multiplayer game, if the content becomes easy enough that a person and 3AI can complete it fairly easily than that's what will be done because it's the easiest. At a certain level multiplayer games must force you to work together to achieve things, that's why most of us play multiplayer games. I understand that some people see this as kotor 3 and want to just mind their own business but the fact is it's still an mmo.

While I like Flashpoints as they are, I do think it would be kinda cool if there were a couple like The Esseles/Black Talon that were heavy on the story aspect and were designed around interacting with your companion characters, perhaps as a way of making sure their gear was up to date or as an alternate means of increasing their affection with you (without having to constantly buy them gifts or risk dieing in story missions and quests because they're not your tank or healer companion).

Because it's a multiplayer game, if the content becomes easy enough that a person and 3AI can complete it fairly easily than that's what will be done because it's the easiest. At a certain level multiplayer games must force you to work together to achieve things, that's why most of us play multiplayer games. I understand that some people see this as kotor 3 and want to just mind their own business but the fact is it's still an mmo.

You fail to understand that soloable dungeons with companions doesnt stop making this game an MMO, been to Ilum lately?

This is a pretty good idea. I think that companions shouldnt be as good in FPs as a player but if someone wants to run them with companions, let them.

agreed.

currently, i've two-manned flashpoints before, each of us with 1 companion out.

He never said anything about making it easier. Stop arguing against what's not there. He's suggesting enabling something so that people can TRY it. It wouldn't likely be workable for the complicated Flashpoints, or really just once you've hit Athiss and beyond - his suggestion is allowing solo players to enter the Flashpoints AS THEY ARE NOW and attempt them with three companions.

There's some control issues to consider, though - along with the general issues of design regarding the purpose Flashpoints serve.

This is honestly one of those cases of players not really knowing what they want, or at least how to express it. Enabling triple companion FP's wouldn't in all likelihood be satisfactory to him - it would merely be a frustrating experience until he realized that certain Flashpoints just absolutely cannot be completed this way. The RIGHT way to do this is to create a solo equivalent in terms of difficulty, including the hardmodes.

And please, let's not start into the whole "solo can't be as difficult" thing. Group and solo content have DIFFERENT factors of difficulty, but they have the same range of difficulty to those attempting it - from simple to impossible, and everything in between.

You fail to understand that soloable dungeons with companions doesnt stop making this game an MMO, been to Ilum lately?

I have, we had 2 full ops groups going on, or do you mean the heroic missions designed for groups, or the 2 flash points designed for groups? I personally do not want content trivialized and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator which is 1 player and 3 companions, it removes aspects of the game which require you to work as a team and be multiplayer. A flashpoint that can be soloed by 1 player would not be fun for a group of 4 actual players, without massive upgrades to the AI of your companions. As it stands your AI doesn't even get out of the fire, which means that to have a boss that players could run, they would have to reduce it to a tank and spank.

I would like to be able to truly solo flashpoints with 3 of my companions

I have dps, tank, & healing companions but most never get used nor do I bother to gear them for that reason. Being able to solo flashpoints using them would change that, not to mention I would run flashpoints more often.

I think this is a good idea, particularly for those on the imbalanced low-pop factions. I've heard of people spending hours LFG only to leave in frustration. I've been playing empire now and have never had issues, but I can imagine being forced to skip content because of population imbalance. If not with multiple companions, then maybe add a solo mode just so people can play through it for the content and not be punished because nobody was available at the time.

Not a bad idea, though I'd prefer if they allowed companions to FPs/OPs/etc WITH real people, ie them not counting towards the player limit (or being outright forbidden). Naturally hard to change now, but I really wish they allow that in new content.

With populations dropping either due to players being more and more scattered aroud levels/at endgame/quitting, this might have it's uses as suggested though. And would definitely give some fun runs. It could however make it even harder to find groups.

It's not that they can't be, it's that it would fail to serve their purpose in the game. New content would be a better idea.

I thought their purpose in the game was to help people complete content without the need for other players. If a character is built for a group role, they can still play solo because of companions.

I thought their purpose in the game was to help people complete content without the need for other players. If a character is built for a group role, they can still play solo because of companions.

I think it was to give all characters a more level solo play ability, not remove the need for player iteration. Tanks, Healers, and DPS can all run the solo quests well with companions, dps maybe even the hardest, but I don't think it was so that you could remove the need for other players, otherwise we wouldn't see heroic quests and flash points.

I think it was to give all characters a more level solo play ability, not remove the need for player iteration. Tanks, Healers, and DPS can all run the solo quests well with companions, dps maybe even the hardest, but I don't think it was so that you could remove the need for other players, otherwise we wouldn't see heroic quests and flash points.

I think a more accurate assessment would be that grouping for heroic quests and flashpoints is there if you choose to do so. Having an option for players to attempt them as they are with their companions is another option.

Both as yourself and a previous poster stated doing flashpoints solo would in fact be far harder than with a group, some flashpoints couldnt be done at all. Manipulating your companions to move out of fire or aoe damage while controling your own character would be extremely difficult but I would still like the option to have a go.

I dont cry about the amount of time developers spend on providing raid content which I will never do and that only a small percentage of the total player base participate in. It's not appropriate that you should argue against an alternative style of play when I have never asked for content to be dumbed down and made solo only..... all styles of play should be catered for.

I would like to see this. With the quality of people on the server I am at, if I have no guild members available when I am on (or of the appropriate level) then I simply have ignored flashpoints. I don't like dealing with people I don't know because I have been burned too many times before in WoW. And this community has seem to have attracted the worst elements of WoW.

I think a more accurate assessment would be that grouping for heroic quests and flashpoints is there if you choose to do so. Having an option for players to attempt them as they are with their companions is another option.

Both as yourself and a previous poster stated doing flashpoints solo would in fact be far harder than with a group, some flashpoints couldnt be done at all. Manipulating your companions to move out of fire or aoe damage while controling your own character would be extremely difficult but I would still like the option to have a go.

I dont cry about the amount of time developers spend on providing raid content which I will never do and that only a small percentage of the total player base participate in. It's not appropriate that you should argue against an alternative style of play when I have never asked for content to be dumbed down and made solo only..... all styles of play should be catered for.

You could always multi-box, my issue is that if the devs make it so you can summon 3 companions in a FP it will be assumed that the devs reasonably believe that someone can run a FP solo and when people realize they can't it will just cause more issues and more complaining from people not skilled enough to do it. As it is there is already the option to out level the content and come back and solo it, it really isn't that hard to find 1 other person to attempt a flash point with. As in your post you say you will never see raid content, but why is raid and flashpoint content so different, it's multiplayer content and if you can run a flashpoint solo an operation should be able to be done by 2 people right? I personally am not against solo content, I am not against a player who prefers to play solo getting good gear, I am against trying to make it so that content is designed so that it's accessible to every play style, some content should be tailored to single player, some to group and if you want to solo it you should do so with 1 companion, and if you want to group up for single player content you should probably steam roll it and have no challenge.

I would like to make another point,

Just as in Wow we had elite quests similar to the heroic quests in Swtor, at the moment there are people doing them and with some effort and waiting you may be lucky enough to get some of them done.

What happens in 12 or 24 months when new players join the game? how will they find enough players to complete them without joining a guild or having a level cap friend to run them through them. The same thing will happen as it did in Wow, players will skip them and to me that would be very unfortunate.

I can only see using companions to replace players to complete heroic quests and some flashpoints as a positive thing.

I made this post then noticed this thread so here is my 2 cents.

Make a Flashpoint that will allow you to have 3 of your companions, of your choosing, go in to battle with you.

I suggest this for two reasons:

1. I love all of my Jedi Knight companions and it would be great to be able to run with them (most of them) collectively.
  2. The whole Trooper story line you are basically rebuilding Havoc Squad as you gain new companions. What's the point of building the baddest squad in the galaxy if you can go out as a unit and destroy stuff?

Here would be a few of my suggestions to make this a compelling thing that people would be excited about:

1. I would have to be on a long lock out timer otherwise people would be just be running solo all the time. Maybe a one week cool down.
  2. Make the rewards worthwhile whether it be gear, crafting materials, a new type of token currency, or something.
  3. Make the first Flashpoint available as soon as we get our third companion. After that have different Flashpoints for various level brackets maybe. Maybe Tier 1 could be level 20-30 Tier 2 could be level 30-40 etc.
  4. They don't have to be too long but make it more than one boss and set the difficulty where i will take some skill and gear to complete.
  5. If a companions dies he/she can be rezzed once or another companion will have to be summoned.
  6. Offer ultra rare drops like pets, mounts or schematics.

I don't want to make this more of a single player game but I do want to utilize my companions for more than gathering mats.

I am aware this would probably take tons or man power and hours but is this a good or bad idea? I welcome feed back.

Just as in Wow we had elite quests similar to the heroic quests in Swtor, at the moment there are people doing them and with some effort and waiting you may be lucky enough to get some of them done.

What happens in 12 or 24 months when new players join the game? how will they find enough players to complete them without joining a guild or having a level cap friend to run them through them. The same thing will happen as it did in Wow, players will skip them and to me that would be very unfortunate.

I can only see using companions to replace players to complete heroic quests and some flashpoints as a positive thing.

exactly.

this is a wonderful idea.

This is currently not an issue, and to change the games dynamic for something that might become an issue seems silly to me. We don't know what bioware plans to do with LFG (which they have stated they are planning to improve). This also doesn't really address the issue that the quests are designed for 2 people, and some of those heroic 4+ can't be done with 2 players 2 companions so that doesn't solve that issue, I think an issue that scaled heroic quests down if the zone is under populated would be a more elegant solution than trying to make someone effectively use 3 companions. For flashpoints bioware might decide to open up a cross realm LFG for lower level flash points when populations of lower levels are lower still providing for a group environment without having to change the dynamics of the game. As it stands I still think the idea is trying to make every piece of the game accessible to single player which it shouldn't be since it's a multiplayer game.

This is currently not an issue, and to change the games dynamic for something that might become an issue seems silly to me. We don't know what bioware plans to do with LFG (which they have stated they are planning to improve). This also doesn't really address the issue that the quests are designed for 2 people, and some of those heroic 4+ can't be done with 2 players 2 companions so that doesn't solve that issue, I think an issue that scaled heroic quests down if the zone is under populated would be a more elegant solution than trying to make someone effectively use 3 companions. For flashpoints bioware might decide to open up a cross realm LFG for lower level flash points when populations of lower levels are lower still providing for a group environment without having to change the dynamics of the game. As it stands I still think the idea is trying to make every piece of the game accessible to single player which it shouldn't be since it's a multiplayer game.

Whats silly is that your entire arguement is based around "gear"..................you do an operation with 15 other people in my opinion you dont deserve the best gear available because 15 other people helped you achieve it. Does that make my opinion right? No because it's an opinion. Planning for 1 or 2 years down the track is not silly at all. Wow's answer to players not doing elite quests anymore because there was no one to help was to remove them from the game. Quite frankly I dont see that happening here as heroic quests are more significant than what elite quests were.

In all honestly if a player could complete a flashpoint with 3 companions rather than 3 players in my opinion they deserve better gear. Because as a previous poster stated it would be considerable harder to complete them that way.

Lastly i'm encouraged to see that of all the posters your the only one against the idea, which just reafirms that raiders and their mentality are insignificant. You consume bulk of the content while the remaining playerbase support the game.

Whats silly is that your entire arguement is based around "gear"..................you do an operation with 15 other people in my opinion you dont deserve the best gear available because 15 other people helped you achieve it. Does that make my opinion right? No because it's an opinion. Planning for 1 or 2 years down the track is not silly at all. Wow's answer to players not doing elite quests anymore because there was no one to help was to remove them from the game. Quite frankly I dont see that happening here as heroic quests are more significant than what elite quests were.

In all honestly if a player could complete a flashpoint with 3 companions rather than 3 players in my opinion they deserve better gear. Because as a previous poster stated it would be considerable harder to complete them that way.

Lastly i'm encouraged to see that of all the posters your the only one against the idea, which just reafirms that raiders and their mentality are insignificant. You consume bulk of the content while the remaining playerbase support the game.

You make good points, sir.

+1