The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ninjaing other people's objectives is just rude and wrong

Trashbone

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when are they YOUR objectives?

Do they have your name on them? they're free for everyone to take.

Word. The spawn times are not that long, and it works out for everyone anyway. Someone clearing a mob opens up the objective to me. I clear target, move on to the next objective, begin to clear mob, and next person gets the open target. You can go with the flow of the game and accept that there are other people playing who may or may not be aware of the unwritten supposed etiqutte rules, or you can dog somebody around the game, ignoring your own enjoyment and missions in some childish attempt to make a point the other player will likely not pick up on anyway.

I dont really care since it doesn't take a lot of time for the objective to respawn. In the mean time I'll be happy to fight while I wait, but I guess that's just me - friend of mine says I fight "an awful lot" compared to everyone else. :\

But really, it takes like 1 minute for it to respawn. No big deal.

I've been encountering more and more players who seem to think that it's okay to ninja somebody else's objectives .... ***. Today I was battling a mob when another player took advantage - ran right by me and destroyed the target I was after - seriously that is f'ed up and cheap........:mad:

It's not really about player behavior, but a design flaw with the game. Even if I'm working up to an objective, I don't expect people to start lining up behind me and waiting for me to finish. Things you interact should respawn instantly. Any named kills should only take 10-15 seconds to respawn.

Yeah I agree with this. I guess I am too used to playing on a RP server in WOW. It wouldn't bother me at all to see a Sith do it, but a Jedi? No way. Its happened to me countless times where I have attacked a group of elites to get at a chest, and some charmer with Level V light points has zoomed in and looted it without a thought.

People are selfish idiots. Unfortunately there are no real penalties for this type of behaviour in-game as the community is so large and diverse. Just as the social penalties for behaving like this is lessened, to an extent, in a big city as opposed to a small community.

Its part of the reason I really dislike the idea of cross server dungeons, PVP, and paid name changes etc. These systems encourage, well, I should say do less to discourage, this type of behaviour. If a player's reputation is important and there are consequences for their actions, it can add a whole level of dynamism, politics and perhaps civility to play.

Edited by Larlar

Word. The spawn times are not that long, and it works out for everyone anyway. Someone clearing a mob opens up the objective to me. I clear target, move on to the next objective, begin to clear mob, and next person gets the open target. You can go with the flow of the game and accept that there are other people playing who may or may not be aware of the unwritten supposed etiqutte rules, or you can dog somebody around the game, ignoring your own enjoyment and missions in some childish attempt to make a point the other player will likely not pick up on anyway.

These "unwritten rules" are called common courtesy. Something sorely lacking in the world today.

..and I take great enjoyment out of trying to teach it to in game ninja's ;)

It's not really about player behavior, but a design flaw with the game. Even if I'm working up to an objective, I don't expect people to start lining up behind me and waiting for me to finish. Things you interact should respawn instantly. Any named kills should only take 10-15 seconds to respawn.

I will allways wait in line or even help clear the mobs so they can get to the objective or chest quicker.

Edited by Grecanis

Today there was a quest objective that I had to kill 4 mobs in order to get to (they HAD to be killed for it) so I kill them and I see another guy coming up and knowing that he was going to take it, I run up and get it literally .1 seconds before he does. He then whispers me and calls ME a "a huge **** dumbfuk"

I was quite astonished, and I said "you do realize I was here first and I killed the mobs for it right?" he replied more cursing me out and put me on ignore.

I was quite confused.

These "unwritten rules" are called common courtesy. Something sorely lacking in the world today.

..and I take great enjoyment out of trying to teach it to in game ninja's ;)

Expecting people to not take objectives just because you're near them is arguably more rude than 'ninjaing' them

Also, it's not ninjaing because the item never belonged to you in the first place.

ALSO, stop expecting common courtesy in an MMO. I'll take the objective because it's free for anyone to loot.

The problem is not the gamer but the game.

If the game forces you to do a fight after activing a device X, than device X should be only usable by you.

I was stolen an energy core (Balmorra) 5 times in a row after having activated it and being forced to do the subsequent fight.

Probably they did not even have bad intentions.

Besides, there is no reason why devices or terminals do not respawn within 1 second.

At best, they would not explode and disapear at all; you would just accomplish your mission without forcing someone else to wait.

Edited by genpion

If im leveling up my Biochem ill stealth ninja the flowers from your grave given half the chance. Its a game, its an mmo, and my game time is precious.

If your not fast your last.

It's called being an ******e, which many people are in the world today.

Just 10 minutes ago I saw someone about to die because they were killing mobs to get a chest, and I healed him up and let him get the chest. I could have easily just taken it, but sometimes people like to actually be respectful and not 13 years old. I know it's hard.

I have done the same thing in the past.

Usually it gets the point across.

But I'm not real proud of it ... two wrongs don't make a right.

If anyone did that to me I would make sure to keep playing for hours while laughing at the idiot following me.

ALSO, stop expecting common courtesy in an MMO.

WHAT?? ...stop expecting common courtesy? ...never!

This is precisely what's f'ed up with todays society. Just because it's in a game doeasn't mean you are not interacting with other human beings!

Agree with the OP - it's exremely annoying. I'll hang back and wait until someone's finished killing before going near a mission objective or chest that's close to them.

Unfortunately it's the way of society today though. Me, me, me, 'my time's more precious than yours' and these people will never understand why their actions are seen to be that way by others.

Some mobs and mission targets take up to 5 minutes to respawn, but, I guess it's ok as their time is more precious than mine >.<

Hi.

I'm a Jedi and I have a confession to make. I am a dark Jedi.

I want to get my quest over with as quick as possible. You make that harder for me by being in my way. So I take your objective to stall you so you're not in my way when I reach the next objective.

Kind regards,

Some one who doesn't care about your feelings.

It's annoying, but got to remember, just because you can see something doesnt mean it has a giant neon sign over it saying it's yours. Sometimes you just have to wait for the respawn, Like I did with three objectives in a row the other night. I'm sure I have mistakenly done it to other people as well (as much as I'd hope I hadn't).

This is precisely what's f'ed up with todays society. Just because it's in a game doeasn't mean you are not interacting with other human beings!

You are right, this is precisely what's f'ed up with todays society.

But knowing that this happens in real life, Bioware should avoid this stuff in the game.

As written above by myself, many people probably do not know that you have activated a device before and are forced now do the stupid subsequent fight.

Bioware should reset the respawn time to 1 second and avoid forced fights after device activation.

Exactly, but its worth realising that there are different standards in different cultures aswell.

I know I found it very annoying when I was queuing for the Vatican museum a few years back to find that a lot of tourists from certain specific other cultures that I won't name, seemed to disrespect the 'queue'. They basically did everything they could to get ahead of everyone else and didn't care if they elbowed you out of the way in the process - leading to a horror of an experience for everyone.

All it takes is a little bit of empathy and care for your fellow gamer/human being. Would you like to have that chest stolen from you? The answer is always 'no' so why would you steal if from someone else?