SWTOR underperforming; EA earnings revised DOWN; Bioware should listen to players

indelible

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The world would be a better place if consumers were more patient. As it goes, they aren't. And as it goes... they won't wait. And if they don't wait, those of you with patience will find that everyone else without patience is off doing something else. THEN - ala AoC, STO, CO, FFXIV, etc - YOU'LL start having a go at developers for failing to retain players by failing to release content fast enough and failing to fix those issues that have ruined the game. Furthermore... I purchased SWTOR on an assurance from Bioware, an assurance they failed to live up to. They failed in their duty of service, not me. I paid. I paid for an experience. I'm not getting it. At this point, setting a deadline for my patience is more than fair :) If they fail again, I leave. And as you say... you can carry on playing that broken game of yours ;D

That's the pattern, I'm afraid.

And regarding my "couple of weeks" comment: see last paragraph. I specifically states it's my opinion, and you're entitled to think whatever you want about it, and the game. That's fine. I think that 2 weeks is more than enough for content that should have been working and/or in the game a month ago... not counting the time required to beta test it :)

Furthermore... I WANT to love this game, hence why I've given it a month of my time and am willing to give it a month more. I WANT to play this game for ages, but only if it's good... which I don't think it is (and many, many others don't think it is either). I loved KotoR. I loved Mass Effect. I even loved Mass Effect 2, despite the lacklustre story. Dragon Age was a brilliant game. Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate (and 2)... even MDK 2... They are some of my favourite games of all time, and I love Bioware for them. They're getting more out of me than Rift got, than AoC got, than LotRo got, BECAUSE they're Bioware and BECAUSE I want to love this game. And certainly there is potential for the game to be really good, but right now IT'S JUST POTENTIAL and it's being stifled by persistent and game breaking problems.

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

Once that is in place you'll want transmogrify aswell.

Bleh, please no. Transmog was just a really bad way of doing appearance slots. I'm all in favor of appearance slots, but transmog is just a bad solution to the customization issue.

funny how the whole ilum issue you bring up was fixed today, i swear you *** hats dont read the dev tracker, or patch notes, or anything for that matter

The hell are you talking about? I didn't even mention Ilum...

Edited by SDCowboy

Why the hell are they even messing with the UI? They can't possibly please everybody - and all other MMO's don't try to with their UI... they allow the USERS, who know what they want to make their own versions. That development time could be used to, well, dunno.. fix current issues like ability delay?

Open up the API and allow addons - would solve a plethora of issues.

You act like its a big problem to ask for stuff from Bioware. As it would be better for them to dictate what should or shouldn't be in the game. Understand the so called vocal minority are an important piece of this MMO pie. The difference in at least 10,000-100,000 subs if not more. I say more, but for argument sake we the vocal minority will, for now be considered the underdog.

In related news, Google shares are off 10% after it was revealed that angry ex-players will no longer be searching for "SWTOR Sucks."

Or in other words, a stock blurb like this means nothing. I really hope none of you taking this seriously are actually investing in the market.

This.

Do we get to actually see from whatever the OP is quoting?

Or are we going to freak out because someone somewhere said something?

Todd Mitchell is an analyst at one of the largest independent investment banking and advisory firms in America dealing in tech companies - Kaufman Brothers. They have a history of accuracy, and Todd himself is particularly revered in the gaming world.

Further more... SOPA has been defeated, so feel free to use the Internet to look up that free information we've got access to; it's only a quick search away ;)

That video addresses nothing.

- He didn't mention Ilum.

- He didn't mention ability delay.

- He didn't mention FPS issues.

- He only specified one new warzone in the "coming months" when players have asked for more than one (which wouldn't be hard... they're small maps )

- He didn't mention a Dungeon Finder.

- He ONLY mentioned some VAGUE alterations to the UI that would allow for UI placement and scale alterations, and didn't speak to action bar placement (which is something a lot of people have complained about)

- He didn't mention PvP loot system changes.

So all in all... he didn't speak about anything at all. He just gave you fluff, and expects you to be happy with that.

Sadly i have to agree with this poster, James did not adress the issues that are most important.

For me, the UI is horrible and is one of the most important things to see changed in the future. The ability to choose where to put my buffs/debuffs etc is what i want the most.

Edited by Miothan

LOL

It wasn't fixed at all.

I went to Ilum.

Sith were camping republic at their base.

There's no real incentive for the reps to leave the base, thus the only thing that happens was a mob of players swarming back and forth at that base, scrambling for killing blows on players that weren't going to award them Valor anyway because they just got killed two seconds ago.

And from what I've heard from friends of mine on various servers, that's the pattern... not the exception. Infrequently a brave group of republic would go round capping points and some mildly entertaining PvP would result... and then it'd be back to the zerg and camp.

yep sounds like your typical MMO world PvP. ;)

if they really wanna fix the camping problem they should take away getting honor from killing players and boost the honor you get from capping points, completing world PvP objectives etc. if you can get just as much or more honor just standing in one spot why would anyone bother with objectives? even if player numbers were equal it still seems that farming player kill would still be more productive so the system is flawed.

You act like its a big problem to ask for stuff from Bioware. As it would be better for them to dictate what should or shouldn't be in the game. Understand the so called vocal minority are an important piece of this MMO pie. The difference in at least 10,000-100,000 subs if not more. I say more, but for argument sake we the vocal minority will, for now be considered the underdog.

What are you talking about?

I *am* asking for stuff.... an open API and addons. They are wasting energy on things that can be better handled by addons. How much "customization" do you think WoW's default UI has? After all these years why do you think Blizzard never really changed anything? Because although the basic UI is functional, anybody who wanted something more personalized used a wide variety of available 3rd party addons to fully customize their UI exactly the way the wanted it.

Edited by Rasstavad

I find it incredibly laughable that you are going to use a FINANCIAL ANALYST forecast for ONE company in the entirety of a multi-trillion dollar international economic system to justify your rant.

You do realize that we are about to witness the collapse of 30 years of growth predicated upon not one single ounce of actual productive capitalism?

Yeah, one MONTH after release in what just so happens to be the most severe economic contraction known to man is about to unleash (see Europe for details) and we get this.

People will pull anything out of their *** to justify themselves.

Having blown away your ridiculous justification for why they are going to fail...

They aren't listening to the playerbase? Let's see your data concerning how many complains they get; how many CS reps they have addressing forum concerns; the amount of project managers they have in place specifically to deal with fixing bugs... this list could go on for quite some time and you still wouldn't be able to pull enough data to back up your opinion.

2 WEEKS? To implement everything YOU want to see fixed? You are smoking crack and have absolutely NO clue whatsoever how project management works, let alone software development from cradle to grave. Your ignorance is astounding and can only be justified in your cognitive bias to want to not like this game.

You'll be gone in a month and I'm glad. Your lack of patience isn't going to allow you to survive past the next month with the ludicrous demands you are making on this company's project timeline.

Simply put, your rant isn't going to derail their 3 and 5 year plans. No way, no how. Come back in 6 months when you've learned something about software development.

/slow clap

patience people..please have patience or just leave.

Read my next post and you'll know why I wrote that. Kudo's to another OP threading the same crap that keeps getting shutdown by devs cause there's already too many of these. Try using one that exists. Thank you.

Actually I think you'll find this thread is distinctly different as it specifically reports news concerning EA and Bioware, as well as SWTOR. The rhetoric about changes required is, as I quite clearly state, my own opinion.

A mod is unlikely to be able to justify that, and anyway I have the thread C+Pd into Google and will simply post it again.

It's new information, a new approach that covers some of the same issues.

Deal with it, post constructively, or take your hate elsewhere. Apart from that... ignored ;D

and what game are you playing?

The SWTOR I saw developing prior to release and waited to crystalize on it's details before purchasing in late November after testing it some in closed beta. Some bug fixes are needed like any game but, I don't want them to change the design of the game. I like the game they decided to make.

The SWTOR I saw developing prior to release and waited to crystalize on it's details before purchasing in late November after testing it some in closed beta. Some bug fixes are needed like any game but, I don't want them to change the design of the game. I like the game they decided to make.

I like the game they decided to make as well, in theory.

:cool:

Actually the functionality of transmogrify is already in the game in the way they have handled gear progression as it is.

To attack a poster for asking for a content addition that would add greater functionality to the game is poor form, sir.

The fact is: a dungeon finder makes the game more accessible to casual players. Casual players are the bread and butter of the mass market MMO. You may not like that, but it's the truth. To omit such a system when developing a mass market, casual centric MMO is a madness.

Casual players haven't hit 50 yet.

I find it incredibly laughable that you are going to use a FINANCIAL ANALYST forecast for ONE company in the entirety of a multi-trillion dollar international economic system to justify your rant.

You do realize that we are about to witness the collapse of 30 years of growth predicated upon not one single ounce of actual productive capitalism?

Yeah, one MONTH after release in what just so happens to be the most severe economic contraction known to man is about to unleash (see Europe for details) and we get this.

People will pull anything out of their *** to justify themselves.

Having blown away your ridiculous justification for why they are going to fail...

They aren't listening to the playerbase? Let's see your data concerning how many complains they get; how many CS reps they have addressing forum concerns; the amount of project managers they have in place specifically to deal with fixing bugs... this list could go on for quite some time and you still wouldn't be able to pull enough data to back up your opinion.

2 WEEKS? To implement everything YOU want to see fixed? You are smoking crack and have absolutely NO clue whatsoever how project management works, let alone software development from cradle to grave. Your ignorance is astounding and can only be justified in your cognitive bias to want to not like this game.

You'll be gone in a month and I'm glad. Your lack of patience isn't going to allow you to survive past the next month with the ludicrous demands you are making on this company's project timeline.

Simply put, your rant isn't going to derail their 3 and 5 year plans. No way, no how. Come back in 6 months when you've learned something about software development.

^This.

Can someone actually prove that this game is under performing? (with sales and stuff...not from BS analysts)

i'll be waitin...

As a representative sample:

In the UK it peaked at #10 in the sales charts in the first week...

Then plummeted to #38.

Don't think it's on there now. Think it's too low to rank.