SWTOR underperforming; EA earnings revised DOWN; Bioware should listen to players

indelible

Technically, it isn't. The modification system isn't half as flexible for players as transmogrify or the appearance tab. Under those systems, I can immediately equip a statistical upgrade while maintaining desired appearance. Modification requires me to slowly build up mods while passing on upgrades because I think they look terrible. Not to mention the hassle of finding modifiable gear you like in the first place. It's a terrible, poorly thought out system that is a marked step behind every other MMORPG and the devs should be ashamed of themselves.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Yeah, the whole "lacking an appearance tab" thing really made me scratch my head and ask "What were you thinking?" I haven't played a quality MMO that lacks one of those in years. In fact, the first day I played, I kept looking for it so I could equip something that looked nice while equipping my ugly, but useful armor for its atributes.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am very patient and understand what risks a launch title carries and at some point in the future it becomes something I enjoy while I pay with my own money throughout the process, because I, unlike everyone else know what playing a game from launch means and am willing to put my money into the game to continue enjoying it."

-You

Fixed

"I suffer from cognitive dissonance."

-You

"I just took my first psychology class!"

-You

Acts like he is a staunch supporter of the game, signs up in Dec 2011.

-You

Yeah man none of us have multiple accounts or anything that would be so wacky!

Edited by Falkelord

alright, not doing too well in the UK...but then again, it's a PC game, PC games never sell incredibly well compared to console games

and anyway i thought only PS3 games sells in UK

how about NA charts?

I would think that subs, not sales, are the key determinant for this product's market longevity.

Don't look down

Dungeon finder should be their #1 priority. That exclusion alone can kill this game. It was a horrible omission.

No.

They should never implement that.

That is one major reason I quit WoW.

There should never be any cross-server anything, and the /who system already supports LFG. If you aren't willing to interact with other players socially, then don't expect a random system to shove you all together.

I want to love Indelible so here:

1 - A dungeon finder needs to be added to allow easy access to flash points and hard modes.

I agree that a system needs to be developed to make Flashpoint grouping more readily available. Currently we have to spam 1. General in Imperial Fleet to even find a group. Fine, I'll deal with it but I was very glad when the LFG system in WoW came out. Yes, I'm making a WoW comparison. It's my only experience. I'm not saying replicate their methodology or implementation; I'm saying make it intuitive and user-friendly to allow people to group up to do what they want to do in a MULTIPLAYER game. I'm saying this as a person who is enjoying 95% of the content alone.

2 - The UI needs a near-total overhaul. It's rubbish.

Being able to adjust the UI is upcoming. What is so rubbish about it now?

3 - End game story mode needs to be added as soon as is possible. People wish to continue their characters stories, and most find the idea of levelling alts a hinderance at best as some of the post-35 levelling content was just awful.

So do you want more content or do you want game-breaking changes implemented first? When you draft your concerns in a professional manner to the management at Bioware and EA explaining why they should reprioritize their business plan based solely upon your opinion, please post it here because I will be impressed.

4 - More warzones need to be added. Launching with 3 warzones, one that pops constantly, was just unacceptable.

Didn't they just do that? And won't more be coming down the pipes?

5 - Problems with Ilum persist, and Bioware are being lethargic in their dealings with them. Base camping is still a problem, and it would be ideal if bases were nothing more than launching platforms for the fight. (I have an idea: make it so that within a radius of X of each base, kills do not award you anything, and move the cannons into mid-field, between central and southern, and northern and central. In addition, add a buff that stacks with other valor buffs as a radial buff around control points. Also make a "planet wide" ops group that EVERY person who goes to Ilum is in by default)

Hey, a constructive criticism! Alright! Still can't justify what a "lethargic" response is. They are already rolling back ill-gotten Valor points and they closed off Ilum to avoid any further knock-off effects of the unintended gameplay.

5 - PvP loot distribution needs to be totally rethought. Apply a "band aid" to Battlemaster gear just doesn't cut it. Champion's Bags are a poor idea, and were always going to be a poor idea.

What is your idea for a better system?

6 - SORT OUT THE FPS ISSUES, AND DON'T FOB US OFF WITH AN "IT'S ONLY 5% OF PLAYERS" RUBBISH EXCUSE. It's a prevalent issue that will drive players away, and you have to solve it or suffer for it.

It very well may be a 5% issue. They have the data and you do not. I'd trust them over you on this one. It just so happens, however, that the people that whine usually do so much louder than the people who praise. I'm not saying technical issues won't exist but it simply isn't possible to beta every single configuration and wish the inevitable problems with those systems out of existence. You have to have an acceptable error rate and this goes true for ANY type of development/engineering.

7 - FIX THE ABILITY DELAY AS A PRIORITY. Seriously. This single issue will cost you a GREAT deal of players, and they AREN'T going to be willing to wait for you to "get round to it", regardless of how complicated you'd like us all to think it is. This should be your TOP priority on the systems side of things. You should be moving coders from other, non-critical projects onto this issue. It needs to be fixed.

See aforementioned request on letter to management staff regarding prioritization of developers. You realize this request messes with people's lives, right? People who work for a living? You play this for entertainment.

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

My problem is casuals whining when they can't find a group within 15 minutes, come to the forums demanding a LFG tool. Sure, it's more accessible, but that doesn't mean it's better.

Inb4 someone claiming but I have two kids to feed and a diper to change

Trouble is even non-casuals like me find it difficult to find groups when it's our time to play... Because we're not all on your friggin' game schedule. I've been on Alderaan in the morning and there'll be FOUR PEOPLE on the WHOLE PLANET. Try and find a group then, sparky... Because odds are it would be a pointless waste of time to spam general chat...

Whereas a cross-server LFG tool would allow us 'dirty stinking don't fit your mold of what gamers should be and when they should play gamers' to enjoy the game.

And even in the late afternoon... Finished up the first story arc with my Knight at 6:00PM and went to Tython. 27 people. Went back to fleet. 12 people. Spamming LFG in general chat for some flashpoint not done to death would be pointless... Especially as spamming LFG in general chat tens to tick people off... So they push-back or just turn it off...

They fixed the /follow but its still jankety. It seems the game's problems aren't a matter of time, but rather a matter of capability. I don't think they are capable, be it financial or intellectual, of fixing a lot of the issues the player-base has, hence the lack of communication.

No.

There should never be any cross-server anything, and the /who system already supports LFG. If you aren't willing to interact with other players socially, then don't expect a random system to shove you all together.

A-frickin-men!

I find it incredibly laughable that you are going to use a FINANCIAL ANALYST forecast for ONE company in the entirety of a multi-trillion dollar international economic system to justify your rant.

You do realize that we are about to witness the collapse of 30 years of growth predicated upon not one single ounce of actual productive capitalism?

Yeah, one MONTH after release in what just so happens to be the most severe economic contraction known to man is about to unleash (see Europe for details) and we get this.

People will pull anything out of their *** to justify themselves.

Having blown away your ridiculous justification for why they are going to fail...

They aren't listening to the playerbase? Let's see your data concerning how many complains they get; how many CS reps they have addressing forum concerns; the amount of project managers they have in place specifically to deal with fixing bugs... this list could go on for quite some time and you still wouldn't be able to pull enough data to back up your opinion.

2 WEEKS? To implement everything YOU want to see fixed? You are smoking crack and have absolutely NO clue whatsoever how project management works, let alone software development from cradle to grave. Your ignorance is astounding and can only be justified in your cognitive bias to want to not like this game.

You'll be gone in a month and I'm glad. Your lack of patience isn't going to allow you to survive past the next month with the ludicrous demands you are making on this company's project timeline.

Simply put, your rant isn't going to derail their 3 and 5 year plans. No way, no how. Come back in 6 months when you've learned something about software development.

In a nutshell your right Seraphical.The masses dont have a clue how software development work or management of a company.To folks like me who are working , im moving along at a nice clip.I take the time to gel with my mates and couldnt give two hoots about end game right now.

Ill get there when i get there.When i do , ill have more of a say since ill be getting on the test server to help with changes.Not here on the general discussion boards thats for sure.

The hive a scum and villany , we must be cautious! LMAO!

Agree 100% - The Bioware fanboys that are being willfully ignorant and making excuses for them are only doing harm to the game. It's people like that the make Bioware think they are doing well when in fact they aren't.

I'm sick of people like you. Just because WoW has it doesn't mean it's a bad idea and Swtor should absolutely not do it. WoW has levels, want to remove those? WoW has chat, want to remove that too?

Well said.

Have all of those demands been cleared with Todd Mitchell?

It's too late; Todd Mitchell has already spoken.

In all seriousness, though, Todd Mitchell and Kaufman Bros. aren't just "some dude". For example, Kaufman managed the US Treasury's sale of Citigroup to private investors ($10 billion sale). What they say is very well regarded by major traders and investors in the TMT sector.

It's like when the World Bank downgrades a country (e.g. Italy). The average Italian might say, "Pfft. What does the World Bank know?" But in actuality the advice of these analyst groups drives investment.

TL;DR: Be afraid of Todd Mitchell. Very afraid.

Don't look down

No.

Honestly, you're just clueless. People aren't socially interacting now. Nothing in the main story/side quests requires it.

Also, if you don't game during peak hours, you can't get groups now that the big rush to play is over and the sucking sound of subscription cancellation is being heard everywhere... Which kind of makes the point of paying for a friggin' MMO kind of pointless doesn't it? And while you're obviously 'too good' for casual gamers, they're the ones that pay an equal amount of the server rent, but don't take up so much server load... Which works to YOUR benefit.

No.

if you quit wow over the lfg system you are seriously a sensitive lad.

No.

Don't worry mate...they CAN'T implement that anyway...it is too complicated for them

You admit you have a problem but refuse to fix it. Sounds like the one-way street you want to travel is actually a divided highway - search for a median before you get lost and hurt someone.

I'm sorry the game isn't living up to your unrealistic expectations. Leave and come back when it does because that's incredibly easier than developing patience. I'm also not saying you don't have any valid points. I'm pointing out the flaws in your thought process because you are ignorant, not because you don't have critical thinking skills. The former can be changed by reading facts; the latter requires much more effort.

So from what I'm getting here, you're trying to claim that EAs 20% stock drop and the revision of its 2013 earnings has NOTHING to do with SWTOR, and everything to do with the hypothesised collapse of the Eurozone?

Surely if that were true, everything would have lost stock value in a similar fashion? ;o

Could you please link me to the papers you wrote? Possibly point me at the ones that have been picked up by the UN, or accredited by any major financial institution or university? I'm going to assume that your predictions are widely known in the financial community, and that once I have seen said papers I will be utterly convinced?

And yes, I'm being facetious.

Trouble is even non-casuals like me find it difficult to find groups when it's our time to play... Because we're not all on your friggin' game schedule. I've been on Alderaan in the morning and there'll be FOUR PEOPLE on the WHOLE PLANET. Try and find a group then, sparky... Because odds are it would be a pointless waste of time to spam general chat...

Whereas a cross-server LFG tool would allow us 'dirty stinking don't fit your mold of what gamers should be and when they should play gamers' to enjoy the game.

And even in the late afternoon... Finished up the first story arc with my Knight at 6:00PM and went to Tython. 27 people. Went back to fleet. 12 people. Spamming LFG in general chat for some flashpoint not done to death would be pointless... Especially as spamming LFG in general chat tens to tick people off... So they push-back or just turn it off...

Your a non -casual, whatever that means , and you havent made 4-6 friends online in game to be able to get things done?Im a casual player and im 38.Yes im getting things done too.But i do it when my friends have the time to log in and play.

Im on track to get a full pvp set gear by the time im 50 or at least part of it.And im not even trying, just enjoying the ride and this creation.Too bad you arent.Cant please everyone i suppose.

I don't mind there not being a dungeon finder as it is in wow. I wouldn't mind there being a planet specific dungeon finder, like you have to be on the planet and in that realm in order for it to find you, as I have made a lot of friend due to running heroics with people from my realm which is what i thought wow lacked. If there aren't enough people on a realm, make less realms available.

No.

This shows exactly why everything the OP posted about Bioware needing to and not listening to their players is utter balls.

Your opinion about any game function is going to be passionately opposed to by roughly the other half of the other players in the game.

Which half should they listen to? Just because the forums are flooded with both reasonable and incredibly whiny posts about mechanics and certain issues does not mean everyone feels that way. We all acknowledge there are issues but get some perspective, less than 30 days after launch and you're expecting the same things other mmo's like WoW have built up to over several years, and not to mention the things they only put in because other mmos again thought of it before them.

I don't mind there not being a dungeon finder as it is in wow. I wouldn't mind there being a planet specific dungeon finder, like you have to be on the planet and in that realm in order for it to find you, as I have made a lot of friend due to running heroics with people from my realm which is what i thought wow lacked. If there aren't enough people on a realm, make less realms available.

Actually, there is a system like that. The only problem is that people don't use it. It's called /who

Pace yourself in this game and it will be actually quite enjoyable. If one quest is broken...run another.. If the texture bug bothers you to much..go play another game... For every problem you have in this game..the solution is quite simple. Simple solutions always seem to baffle simple people I guess.
If I don't voice my opinions, there's no hope developers might understand why what they offered is so unsatisfying.

Some of the same problems they made were made by other developers in other MMOs. Some of these problems are very easily avoided, but can only be avoided early on in development because they're structural flaws you cannot easily fix later on.