George Lucas plans to retire

rdc_thirty

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he had never started it off, we would never be here now. There wouldn't be dozens of novels printed, a large selection of games and comic books would never have been made, and so on.

The same could be said of H. P. Lovecraft, J. R. R. Tolkein, or Gene Roddenberry. :U

Indeed. George created an excellent trilogy of movies that made an indelible impact on pop culture and cinema. He certainly had a right to go ahead and make more films. But being the creator does not excuse him from editing his already celebrated works more than three decades after the fact. Once you release something like that, a movie, a record album, whatever, it ceases to be yours and now belongs to the people who find joy in it. That would be like Paul Mccartney going back and recording overdubs for Beatles songs. While admittedly most of the changes to the new editions of the first trilogy are minor, I certainly can relate to people who are quite upset about it...especially such instances as the Han and Greedo scene (which, by the way, just looks sloppy and poorly implemented). Though George Lucas can console himself by saying "it's mine, i made it, it came to me", that does not make the original works any less sacrosanct or precious to those who love them. For someone who claims to be so driven on creating things for children to enjoy, he should understand that.

Indeed. George created an excellent trilogy of movies that made an indelible impact on pop culture and cinema. He certainly had a right to go ahead and make more films. But being the creator does not excuse him from editing his already celebrated works more than three decades after the fact. Once you release something like that, a movie, a record album, whatever, it ceases to be yours and now belongs to the people who find joy in it. That would be like Paul Mccartney going back and recording overdubs for Beatles songs. While admittedly most of the changes to the new editions of the first trilogy are minor, I certainly can relate to people who are quite upset about it...especially such instances as the Han and Greedo scene (which, by the way, just looks sloppy and poorly implemented). Though George Lucas can console himself by saying "it's mine, i made it, it came to me", that does not make the original works any less sacrosanct or precious to those who love them. For someone who claims to be so driven on creating things for children to enjoy, he should understand that.

I dunno, I find it kind of ridiculous to suggest that a creator of something doesn't have the right to change or edit it. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean you can say that it's not their work. They created it. They have full rights to edit it as they please. Just because you enjoyed how it was before gives you no real say, outside of refusing to support it, in what happens to it.

The only thing I really disagree with is his reluctance to let the original, unedited versions come out in new formats, even just as an option amongst many. I think, honestly, that one thing would probably make a lot of people happier because then they could at least choose what version they want, instead of being forced to be stuck with effectively a director's cut. With remakes, the original is at least still available for those that want to comfortably ignore it. :U Not the case with Lucas, but that's certainly his decision. It's his copyright.

However, a new version of something shouldn't diminish the original to you. That's not something Lucas has control over - you do. Complaining to him because of something that is entirely your damage is ridiculous. You have the option of ignoring it at your discretion, and if you choose not to do so and become upset about it, that's your fault.

If he had never started it off, we would never be here now. There wouldn't be dozens of novels printed, a large selection of games and comic books would never have been made, and so on.

The same could be said of H. P. Lovecraft, J. R. R. Tolkein, or Gene Roddenberry. :U

well... lovecraft, tolkien, rodenberry we're just... better than george lucas. GL, god love the man for what he went through filming the original Star Wars and respect the man for chasing his dream, is just not a good writer. his vision of star wars is not what we saw in the original trilogy. the original trilogy was his vision of star wars tempered by hardship and improved by several different minds and opinions.

Good. The constant stupid changes he makes to the original movies every time a new edition comes out and the second triology being soulless vehicles designed solely to pimp toys to kids really soured me on lucas.

Best thing he could would be to leave creative control to zahn.

Edited by DieselCheezel

You know what I want to say to Lucas when he retires? F*** Y** thats right...the greedy scum.

bfish you said it best...it was the people around him that came up with the creature designs not lucas...lucas just had the story and characters though up. thats it.

guy has no passion for art anymore only the $ sign.

the recent blu-rays are an example.

Edited by Krigan

And the biggest problem with the recent trilogy was dialogue, horrible, horrible dialogue. Guess who wrote the uninspired, unrealistic, enigmatic, asperger's-esque dialogue in the prequel trilogy? That's right, our bearded, power-mad, money-grubbing patriarch himself.

I love Star Wars, but I seriously wanted to permanently sew my ears shut during Episode 2.

I just wish I could wish my feelings away.

Lucas should just keep making movies to piss the fans off. Because it's hilarious watching you guys trying to act like you're masters of cinema.

doesnt take a master of cinema to realize that "I wish that I could just wish away my feelings" is dip-dunk writing

doesnt take a master of cinema to realize that "I wish that I could just wish away my feelings" is dip-dunk writing

Don't take the dialogue out of context.

Anakin was very emotional when he was speaking, and the use of the term "wish" twice in the same sentence further expanded on his confusion on what he was feeling at the time since he could not find a better word to replace the term with.

I'm sure when we were confused, mad, sad, etc we said a "dip-dunk" sentence like that.

Lucas should just keep making movies to piss the fans off. Because it's hilarious watching you guys trying to act like you're masters of cinema.

No, it's only hilarious because people get worked up over it. Unsurprising considering how bad a taste the prequels/edited originals leave in people's mouths.

You don't need to be a 'master of cinema' to know a movie is bad. Do you need to be a chef to know that your chicken hasn't been cooked right too?

If the ultimate goal of a movie is for people to enjoy it, and by large, they don't, then what's that say about the movie?

Edited by JadeBranch

Let's look at the word "retire"

Everything Star Wars still has his name on it. Books, TV shows, Movies, video games toys. So over the course of the rest of his life, he still gets paid everytime someone even mentions the word. Not to mention, that everything has to go past his desk before it's approved.

ILM is close to, if not THE largest VFX company in the world.

Skywalker Sound is THE go-to SFX company (I think they have done jsut about everything Pixar.

You don't think Lucas gets a knock on the door before either of those takes a project?

While he may no longer be heading up the day-to-day operations of these various "Empire's" I think it's safe to say he is far from "retired" In my opinion, this is just a way for him to be able to drop out of sight for a while. He might even believe he is retired, but the checks he recieves every month I would hardly consider a pention ;)

guy has no passion for art anymore only the $ sign.

the recent blu-rays are an example.

This is a common criticism, but I think this is a serious misreading of the guy. If all he cared about was $, he would make the original theatrical release versions of the film available on blue-ray. Fans hate him because he won't give them the chance to spend their money on it.

This is about Lucas' unusually pronounced need to control how his works are viewed and experienced by every new audience, coupled with an absolute inability to recognize that he's about 30 years past his moment and is actually making things worse each time he tinkers. It's as if Da'Vanci went senile and decided to perfect the Mona Lisa by drawing a moustache over the smile. Or as if Tolkein issued a new version of Lord of the Rings where Boromir didn't try to take the Ring 'cuz that'd be too dark and might upset children.

It may be his absolute legal right, but it's sad and horrifying at the same time.

Seriously, the man has poured 40 years of his life into Star Wars. It represents not only his crowning achievement in life, but a monumental achievement in cinema and deep force in the popular culture of the English speaking world. Its understandable that he would want to recapture the feeling he must have had ~1978. But if he thinks fans do not appreciate most of the last 3 decades or so of his efforts.....well, he's kinda right.

Worse, there is no real reason we should. Drew Karpyshyn, who is not exactly going to replace Tolstoy or Shakespeare, came up with a better Star Wars tale for KOTOR than anything Lucas has managed since "The Empire Strikes Back". The average scriptwriter for Dark Horse Comics has been able to come up with better stories than Lucas. He has made 100s of millions, but most of the actual work of building the universe, expanding the franchise and catering to the hardcore fans has been done by others while he's been busy tinkering with the look of the original trilogy and trying, vainly, to recapture the cinematic magic of the 70s and early 80s.

Lucas is turning into a really, really, really rich version of Orson Welles. Fortunately "Star Wars" is a lot more bankable than "Citizen Kane", so Lucas probably won't end his days doing ads for Mrs. Pell's Fishsticks to make ends meet. But the way things are going, he'll wind up like Charles Foster if he's not careful.

Plus, whoever voiced Anakin is a better actor then Hayden, or at the very least, has the benefit of not being directed by Lucas.

Matt Lanter voices Anakin for "The Clone Wars". He does an awesome job. But his biggest advantage over Hayden Christensen is that Lucas doesn't write his lines.

Seriously, lots of fans seem to hate "The Clone Wars". But I like it. It gives us a version of Anakin for whom a fall to the dark side really _is_ tragic. He's a young man action likeable and heroic enough you can actually believe Padme Amidala came to love head over heels, but with a cockiness that will eventually lead to his downfall. We see an Obi-Wan who's not an arrogant twit, and who loves Anakin the way a serious older brother loves a headstrong impulsive younger brother. Bad guys who are kind of scary and genuinely charismatic. Hell, A Mace Windu who is scary and charismatic.

I sometimes wish the Taratovsky shorts had become the basis for the series, since I'm a big "Samurai Jack" fan. But "The Clone Wars" is still something I can watch with my kids and appreciate for what it is. Its a lot more like the original trilogy than the prequels.

You people are awful.

Nothing Star Wars related will ever eclipse the original trilogy because you place it on a mythical pedestal. Truth be told i enjoyed the prequel trilogy more than the original. Why? Because i enjoyed the setting more, the CGI (come at me nerds), and the actual story more than the originals. To be sure the acting in the prequels was awful by comparison, but to me that does little to diminish the actual story that was being told.

The sad part about this that its you, the nerd raging fandom who can't appreciate anything that has essentially killed the fantasy setting you might have loved most. Pathetic, no thats beyond pathetic and more like tragic. You give some real perspective on loving something to death you know. Shame it comes at the cost of enjoyment for millions of others though right?

I also love the idiots who make the claim that "by and large" people disliked the prequels. Really bro? Do you have empirical evidence or just another champion for bad logical fallacies?

Edited by Merced

This is a common criticism, but I think this is a serious misreading of the guy. If all he cared about was $, he would make the original theatrical release versions of the film available on blue-ray. Fans hate him because he won't give them the chance to spend their money on it.

This is about Lucas' unusually pronounced need to control how his works are viewed and experienced by every new audience, coupled with an absolute inability to recognize that he's about 30 years past his moment and is actually making things worse each time he tinkers. It's as if Da'Vanci went senile and decided to perfect the Mona Lisa by drawing a moustache over the smile. Or as if Tolkein issued a new version of Lord of the Rings where Boromir didn't try to take the Ring 'cuz that'd be too dark and might upset children.

It may be his absolute legal right, but it's sad and horrifying at the same time.

Seriously, the man has poured 40 years of his life into Star Wars. It represents not only his crowning achievement in life, but a monumental achievement in cinema and deep force in the popular culture of the English speaking world. Its understandable that he would want to recapture the feeling he must have had ~1978. But if he thinks fans do not appreciate most of the last 3 decades or so of his efforts.....well, he's kinda right.

Worse, there is no real reason we should. Drew Karpyshyn, who is not exactly going to replace Tolstoy or Shakespeare, came up with a better Star Wars tale for KOTOR than anything Lucas has managed since "The Empire Strikes Back". The average scriptwriter for Dark Horse Comics has been able to come up with better stories than Lucas. He has made 100s of millions, but most of the actual work of building the universe, expanding the franchise and catering to the hardcore fans has been done by others while he's been busy tinkering with the look of the original trilogy and trying, vainly, to recapture the cinematic magic of the 70s and early 80s.

Lucas is turning into a really, really, really rich version of Orson Welles. Fortunately "Star Wars" is a lot more bankable than "Citizen Kane", so Lucas probably won't end his days doing ads for Mrs. Pell's Fishsticks to make ends meet. But the way things are going, he'll wind up like Charles Foster if he's not careful.

Quoting the entire thing because it's a great assessment.

Anyway, Lucas needs to grow a thicker skin. His statement is almost shocking considering it is coming from someone who has succeeded so greatly in a very cut throat and brutal business. I'd expect this from a small time Indy film maker, which I suppose deep down Lucas is, or was at one point.

Why does everyone hate the PT? Sure, it isn't as good as the OT, but it expands the universe in an interesting way and was all around fun to watch. Also, as much as you guys complain about Ewoks, they are sooooooooooo much better than Jar Jar and those ridiculous PT scenes with R2-D2 and C-3PO.