The Hardcore are what drive MMO's. So goes the hardcore, so goes SWTOR

ValaxDarkseer

This has been true since the days of UO/EQ1. The hardcore drive the game. They are the most involved in every aspect of the game and are the ones who create communities.

The hardcore give the casuals someone to look up to. Casuals look at the hardcore gamer and their gear and accomplishments and want to be like them. This in turns gets casuals to play more and push to be more hardcore themselves. Without the hardcore crowd casuals will never see what they could possibly become and without any cool goals to look forward to casuals lose interest.

If SWTOR is to succeed it needs to focus a good chunk of its dev time on endgame content which is difficult and gives out rare rewards that few will get but everyone will dream of obtaining.

This dynamic has been proven true time and time again. It is no longer hypothesis. It is no longer even a theory. It is fact.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point is moot. They can concentrate on both because unlike other MMO's they kept their entire DEV team on.

A new raid coming in this weeks patch. A new planet and new raid content coming in march. New Sing player content and warzones in the same patch.

The 'what they can become' comment is kinds sad and wrong on so many levels.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

This has been true since the days of UO/EQ1. The hardcore drive the game. They are the most involved in every aspect of the game and are the ones who create communities.

The hardcore give the casuals someone to look up to. Casuals look at the hardcore gamer and their gear and accomplishments and want to be like them. This in turns gets casuals to play more and push to be more hardcore themselves. Without the hardcore crowd casuals will never see what they could possibly become and without any cool goals to look forward to casuals lose interest.

If SWTOR is to succeed it needs to focus a good chunk of its dev time on endgame content which is difficult and gives out rare rewards that few will get but everyone will dream of obtaining.

This dynamic has been proven true time and time again. It is no longer hypothesis. It is no longer even a theory. It is fact.

Absurd, IMO.

What I have seen is that the self proclaimed "Hardcores" are the ones who spend the most time MMO-crawling (akin to pub crawling).. They hit an MMO hard fast and furious, devour their initial offerings, and then move on to the next MMO in some eternal search for the "perfect game"...

Please tell me how that drive's the success of an MMO?

The success of an MMO is generally looked at on a much larger time scale than the first month or so after release, which is generally when all the "hardcore" players are active in an MMO. It's the casuals who play the game for years on end who drive the success, and fund the continual development, of any MMO.

You vastly over estimate how many people will accept a mediocre game as long as it is Star Wars. This game is proof that the IP can overcome even the most amateur of programming teams. From world class failure of a UI to poor class design, no real balance amongst classes, to an obvious single player game hastily and badly implemented with an MMO engine developed in a vacumn so air tight I doubt they knew what other games did wrong.

Yeah it was all those hardcore gamers that didn't move on to another title in SWG that kept it alive until the day it died.

Sorry but "hardcore" players have very little impact on the game other than they get to run content before anyone else and don't get to enjoy the story around the game.So called hardcore player are in my view,just greedy and when things don't go their way they get very abusive and spit out their dummies.

I disagree with the statement at hand. It simply isn't true and has never been true before.

The only reason it was "true" in MMOs before was because most people who played MMOs and shaped the decisions were the HC players. Casual players (and that definition is hard to determine) were playing and enjoying it but would never commit in the long term because there was no drive for them. There was a huge siltent majority base. When Blizzard realized the potential in the casual market, the target market was switched to include both.

There is nOthing wrong with swtor's endgame per say. The endgame develops in due time, there is lots to do (heroics,flashpoints,operations) etc.. Just organize and do it period.

This. This is my main gripe with folks who are impatient.

I know WoW is not hardcore, but, it is likely the MMO that has seen the most influx into this game. Our guild raided in WoW, started early in Vanilla, (T1 - T8) and didn't get into MC with 40 raiders ready to tackle the instance until February...that's 3 months after release, and was considered an early start.

Why people expect end game to be rip roaring here 5 weeks into the game is beyond me.