The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Swtor's Secret Space Project Speculation

DesktopMinion

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't want to see a SWG style space, that was boring as hell and not what Star Wars was about.

I really liked it. For people who really love the space aspect of Star Wars, I think SWG/JTL nailed it.

Edited by daemian

Euromillions lotto numbers for tonight and next wednesday please.

ALL HAIL THE ORACLE!

I missed last night. Next Wednesdays winning numbers are 12, 45, 10, 22, 31 and the lucky stars may or may not be 08 and 12.

BOW TO ME, THE WISE AND ALL POWERFUL ZHUL!

I highly doubt they are gong to release a free flight system. Unless this is what they are intending to release, they are going to disappoint many people in a big way when this dosn't turn out to be the case.

Why should people be disappointed when they don't get what they were never promised?

Why should people be disappointed when they don't get what they were never promised?

It dosn't matter what people *should* feel, it only matters how they *do* feel.

I agree, that in the absence of a more firm commitment about what these "changes" are no one should get their hopes up (although speculation is fun).

People were never promised macros or LFG tools but they seemed to presume the game would include them and nerd raged all over the forums when they didn't, case in point.

I'd like to be able to board and raid other player's ships, have my companions face off theirs and start my own piracy ring.

That would be awesome. I'd totes marry Spike Spieg- Err, Andronokis while I was at it.

My girlfriend made a cake. It had vanilla frosting.

It inspired me to make a cake. But I put chocolate frosting on it instead.

Still a cake, done differently in different hands.

I heard Bioware is making a cake. Nothing is stopping them from putting vanilla frosting in the middle of their chocolate cake.

Wait... the cake is a clone? But yours doesn't even taste like vanilla!

Nope, but i played KOTOR, and KOTOR 2,

And both of them had on rails Space Combat.

This isnt SWG 2. They dont have to do anything relevant to what SWG did. And thank god, because SOE sucks and ran that game into the ground.

They arent putting in free form space combat because they dont need to, and it doesnt fit the premise of Knights of the Old Republic. It is about character development and story delivered through cutscenes with player choice. This is not Battlefront, it isnt Star Wars Eve, it isnt Star Wars Galaxies 2.

At worst it is Star Wars WoW. Just accept that the game is what it is.

You do you realize the only reason swg died was because of the combat update the space combat was what gave it it draw also Free roam space combat would add a good pvp aspect to the game not to mention it would draw people to it being the first good space mmo in a long time

If I don't see a SWG-esque free roaming space flight or a Tie-Fighter hybrid, I will be disappoint. I know that Bioware added the space combat portion way later in the game and at one point there wasn't going to be any at all, but after showing that they can at least pull off the graphics/performance well, I see no reason to keep the rail system. If they introduce a space combat system like what SWG had (ask anyone who played it, they all will say the same thing: it rocked and was one of the high points of SWG) or something along the lines of Tie Fighter did way back in 1995 (TF is considered one of the best space combat games ever made alongside its parent X-Wing and other games like Free Space), then I will keep subbed to TOR indefinitely there is no doubt.

But having said all of that, I know whats most likely going to happen: rail system will stay, but they will introduce MP flashpoints, but with the same rail system. I know they will for a lot of reasons. One being that people who like simplistic space combat games (Starfox lovers as opposed to Tie Fighter lovers) outnumber people who prefer a challenge. Two, rail system is already in place.

Time will tell, and I hope Bioware doesn't go the safe route of keeping the rail system. It's a distraction to while away the time while your companions are crafting/missioning. But if they take space combat to the levels that it was 8 years ago (that is pretty sad that we have to look at a 17 year old game like TF and a 8 year old, dead MMO like SWG to see how space combat is properly done), there will be a lot of happy people playing TOR for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's something awesome like actually being able to fly your ship around the galaxy instead of picking a place and essentially fast traveling to it!!!

Then again my hopes for awesome stuff in this game has been put on hold for a while.

But if they take space combat to the levels that it was 8 years ago (that is pretty sad that we have to look at a 17 year old game like TF and a 8 year old, dead MMO like SWG to see how space combat is properly done), there will be a lot of happy people playing TOR for a long time.

Hmmm, seems that in the real world we have to look back 30 years to when we had the capability to go to the moon. Not all progression and evolusion is smooth. Books haven't changed much in hundreds of years.

But nevertheless, it is time to make the next leap. Maybe something along the lines of STO.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeblesTV

I think Tie-fighter PC game style.

If you are right I will play this game until the day I die. Please let this be true.

OMG yes please, in that case I would also keep subscribed forever. This rail shooting is really basic compared to Star Wars Galaxies Jump to Lightspeed. Please give us real free roaming

space exploration, trading and dogfights PVP. Something between X-Wing and Freelancer 2... plus multiplayer ship combat and landing on planets manually...

We need to keep this thread alive and make bioware realise That free Roaming space combat is what we want!

Would be the literally the best game ever if they go the whole off the rails space experience.

"What I want" and "What I'm probably going to get" don't coincide very often in life. The earlier you learn to accept this, the happier you're going to be. (And when you're wrong, it's great; I was expecting a 5% raise and budgeted accordingly; I got a 15% raise. That's great -- but if it had been only 5%, I would have been in good financial shape, whereas, if I'd expected 15% and spent money based on that, then got 5%, I'd be in deep doodoo.)

It's possible a free flight space game may come for SWTOR, but it's not going to be soon; if it was, they'd be hyping it, not hinting vaguely at "something big", which will turn out to not be nearly as big as people imagine.

(It's like every time NASA calls a news conference for a "major announcement", the net is filled with people squeeing over the idea they've found alien life or something, when it's always "We found some rocks that are a slightly different color than some other rocks, which means there may have been water on Mars 20 million years ago, or it may be an unknown chemical reaction.")