Synthweaving is *HORRIBLE TERRIBAD AWEFUL*

pahbi

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm at about 250 synth on my Sage, and I have to agree with some people here; it seems like the RE number generator isn't working right or something; I've RE'd the same thing with a 20% chance for a schematic 20 or 30 times and gotten nothing, and by the time I blow through that many materials, I've outleveled that gear anyway. It's still useful, but occasionally frustrating.

Also, I've come across 5 orange custom Synthweaving schematics so far, and 4 of them have required Sith Warrior/Imperial Agent or Sith Inqusitor, so basically useless to me, and I can't sell them on the GTN for crap either.

i'm not rushing my characters to lvl 50 so i have plenty of time to spend on my crafting and i ALWAYS have something worthy to craft. I keep a couple of companions on crafting missions all the time and have plenty of purple components.

RE usually takes around 3 tries for me but yeah, sometimes it's 10 or 15, no use complaining, it's same for all.

I'm pretty sure crafting just isn't your thing, whichever you pick you'll keep complaining.

Other than cybertech and biochem, all of the crafting skills are pretty bad for leveling. Their usefulness is in providing an income from crafting the items you can make once you have leveled the crafting skill up. For example, synthweavers can currently make a lot of money selling augmented orange gear, as can armormechs.

For leveling, though, you really want either biochem for the more powerful (and reusable!) medpacs - including ones which restore health to both you AND your companion (soooo good for leveling) and buffs, or you want cybertech for making mods for your armor.

Other than cybertech and biochem, all of the crafting skills are pretty bad for leveling.

I myself found leveling Armormech along with my Bounty Hunter to be particularly rewarding, primarily because I could fill slots I didn't have orange armor in with blues, while simultaneously keeping my companions geared ahead of the curve.

However, synthweaving is particularly bad for consulars because of all our companions, only Nadia wears synthweaving gear. Once I got orange items in the important slots, I just started going through the motions of levelling up Synthweaving. It has been nowhere near as rewarding an experience as Armormech on the BH.

And yet, it's still a hundred times more enjoyable than Armstech ever was. >_<

/agreed

I'm level 50 with level 400 synthweaving and it is awesome! Seriously, you need to reverse engineer that green stuff and make orange and purple gear. I have so many orders from my guild I can't keep up. I am also making purple resolve augments. You can crit things easier I've found by making 5 at a time. Keep your companion affection up too. It is worth it for Sages to do synthweaving, trust me!

As far as I can tell, it is viable, just not as useful as cybertech or artifice could be.

Artifice produces enhancements, hilts, colour crystals, and all those offhands that people who don't dual wield use.

Cybertech produces droid parts, ship parts, armouring and mods

Synthweaving produces light armour, medium armour, and heavy armour, all of which provide willpower or strength stats, along with some moddable stuff. I think it also produces augments, but I don't know.

Note the bolded parts. These all are used for the orange gear. The problem with Synth is that it covers three armour levels, so it's very easy to drive yourself bankrupt if you don't know what you're doing. The upside is that synth gear can be RE'd for higher grade stuff somewhat easier than mods, but more importantly, costs less high cost materials than moddable gear would take.

Just my 2 credits.

Sorry gona have to disagree, and here's why.

Today i made gear for my inquisitor and khem val all which where upgrades from existing quest gear. Got lucky and found a design for synthweaving from a drop that was a fully modable chest piece. If i didnt have synth i would have just sold it or sent it to an alt.

Synth gear beats commendation gear due to lack of dark/light requirements. I can RE greens and get blue quality that exceeds quest gear. All my mats are free and i use commendations to buy mods and weapons.

Sorry you dont think synth is any good but i dont think you see the bigger picture here.

I agree with this... Synthweaving you can also make your Rakata wrists and Belt. Without that profession you have to wait for the drop. I got mine up to 400 made my wrists and belt and then went biocem.

I agree with this... Synthweaving you can also make your Rakata wrists and Belt. Without that profession you have to wait for the drop. I got mine up to 400 made my wrists and belt and then went biocem.

So what you're saying is that Synthweaving is OK and good enough to milk some of it's skills but not enough to keep it.

Got it. Thanks

My sage is a biochemist and i use it alot. My shadow is a synthweaver and, he uses it well. I wish i had made my sage a synthweaver long enough to craft rakata then swap to biochem like im doing on my shadow. Anyways, i use my synthweaving to craft me augmented clothes all the time when i wanna change my look, since i hate war hero gear. and ive amde money off it as well. the skill isnt junk, your perception of how gear in this game works is. just grab all orange and do cybertech and keep upgrading with junk you make, take the easy route.

Since 1.2, Synthweaving is actually a terrific endgame-profession. Purple Willpower/Endurance 22 Augments (I always forget the names, sry) sell for around 150k a piece at the GTN on my server, and they don't even require any rare crafting mats from Ops.

The rakata belt and bracers are nice too, still trying to get augmented versions though, as the BCAs are terribly rare since 1.2.

Also, if you're leveling an Knight Alt, you can make good gear for him too.

Just don't make the mistake and try to get blue or even purple Schems from RE below 50 while leveling, that's just a waste of money (that is better spent for skills, speeders, ect.).

I've actually had a lot of fun with synthweaving so far. But then again, I'm leveling with a friend who's gone Knight and Artifice and we share gear back and forth. Want to know who's been making the greater amount of gear? Me. I frequently craft new blues and green items every level, had decent success with the reverse engineer to make some gear which usually blows anything I get on that planet out of the water (to be fair though, I am a few levels ahead of the leveling curve). I make a set of green gear, then make it again and RE it for a chance to get a blue schematic to help me level my crafting skill even more while improving my gear, and I've been doing pretty well with credits (had over 70k before buying my speeder and skills.

All this armor means I can select commendations rather than going for a green upgrade, which means I can purchase mods and equipment from that planet's level (shame that resolve mods seem a bit rarer). Which keeps the Jedi robes, double bladed lightsaber, and social pants from coruscant leveled (and thank god, because I'm NEVER wearing a dress). I've had multiple critical successes too, it's just a shame I can't craft any augments yet for those.

Oh yes, I've also discovered schematics to make modable jedi robes for Consulars and Jedi Knights, which I could probably start selling on the market for some decent credits if I wanted to be bothered.

I picked it up and made a couple pieces before I dropped it and picked up artifice.

Armortech and synth are both worthless, especially with the amount of orange modable items in there at just about every level.

Actually, it depends on how you use synthweaving.

I find that synthweaving T1 procs are better than what's available from drops, quests, commendations and maybe even mods. They are also easier to proc now with 1.2. I make awesome gear for my main and alts from synthweaving.

But the benefits are largely restricted to L1-49 (as others have said). Once you hit 50, the awesome T2 L49 gears you crafted gets overpowered by Columni/Rakata gear and even Recruit gear (especially in PvP). That makes the L49 crafts for synthweaving somewhat redundant. They also don't look that great either (particularly heavy armor). One exception is the crafted Rakata armband and belt (proc); those are awesome for the sage/sorc.

Synthweaving does let you craft War Hero augmented though - which is nice if you're into PvP. They also sell well (each piece goes for 100k plus) - provided your server is populated enough. :p

Edited by Seraphielle

I pvp and i dont mind the

pert Arch-Savant Bracers [superior] with augmented slot

+52 Endurance

+60 Willpower

+50 Power

+28 Surge Rating

+ augment

+50 power and +28 surge are worth to think in a DPS built even over expertise (especially since expertise wrist are kind of lame)

if you put an expertise augment the difference is 50power vs 50expertise and 1:1 i tend to go power

and it has SURGE as well... I dont mind my crit multiplier at 75%

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/4448-1031/expert-arch-savant-bracers

i use it as it shows in my signature pic

and i am thinknig to replace my belt with the same +power+surge belt...

2 piece crafted usefull over BM in pvp is not that useless

Edited by Pekish