Bioware: Allow Advanced Class Respec!

Dunzo

Its the same class, just with a different role and abilities, I dont get why people are so against this, you must understand that this will come later in an expansion.

Like someone already said, what if someone chose an advanced class and got with it till lvl 30 and finds himself that he doesnt enjoy it?

For example I would love to be able to respec from Sorc to Assasin because the Assasin actually uses his lightsaber in combat

First off, you haven't the slightest idea if this will ever happen.

Second, if someone plays until level 30 and decides they don't like their AC they have the same option as someone who played until level 10...reroll. P.S. If it took you 30 levels to figure out that the sorc doesn't use their lightsaber, well, that would be a YOU problem.

Edited by SlickDevlan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see how people say they dont have time to roll another charactor, If you truly didnt have the time to Roll You most likely wouldnt be gaming at all.

A lot of people can only spare a few hours per day to play, a lot of players can't even spare the time to play every single day. My argument is there's no real reason those people should have to invest hours in re-treading low level content they've already done just because they chose an AC without knowing it didn't suit their play style.

Two possible solutions have already been discussed that, from the lack of arguments saying so, don't actually take anything away from the game itself.

Second, if someone plays until level 30 and decides they don't like their AC they have the same option as someone who played until level 10...reroll. P.S. If it tool you 30 levels to figure out that the sorc doesn't use their lightsaber, well, that would be a YOU problem.

It's not really as clear cut as that though. When I rolled a Juggernaut I didn't realise that the DPS spec would "feel" the way it does to play, that it would be a slow and consistent DPS class.

Yeah, that might seem obvious to me now that I've played it, but there was nothing in the AC selection screen or the talent previews that suggested this, as such I felt that I'd prefer to give Marauder a go as I'd played it during beta and I liked its fast and spiky damage.

It's not really as simple as "Oh I didn't know it would use one sabre instead of two", which is explained when you choose your AC.

Edited by PJEBarlow

You might say, well its entirely different you're trying to change your class entirely... oh wait.. the advanced classes ARE two completely seperate classes.. So I guess I should do what every other player since the dawn of the MMO has done when they dislike their current class / want to play a new one..

WoW talent trees. While SWTOR AC are technically different classes they are just "role holders" and as I have repeated more then once:

Sentinel = Fury warrior in play style

Guardian = Arms and Prot in play style

Sage = Tree/boomkin

Shadow = Cat/Bear

It's not like Bioware would be doing something radically different if they allowed you to change your AC.

Thinking about it, is the restriction on AC the only truly permanent and significant choice you can make? I am comparing it to the story choices which don't change the overall outcome and LS/DS which can be reversed.

People really need to stop thinking of advanced classes as a sub option and really just as completely different classes.

Once you make the choice at level 10 that is the class you have rolled, up til then it's just a way of introducing the game and sharing a story line.

I can't think of an MMO in history that allows you to swap your class for a same level class, i'll use the WOW example since alot of people know it. Would you post on the WOW forums saying blizzard let me swap my level 80 paladin for a level 80 warlock? ofcourse not, the issues it would cause are insane, people would be swapping about everytime one had an advantage over the other.

The only thing that could be an option is that if you really really really didn't want to do the first 10 levels of an area you have already done then maybe you can swap advanced classes but it resets everything, gear, levels etc. But i don't think anybody over level say.. 20 would take that option

Anyway Think of advanced classes as classes, once you make the choice completely seperate yourself from the other advanced class, or even the first 10 level 'broad' class

People really need to stop thinking of advanced classes as a sub option and really just as completely different classes.

Once you make the choice at level 10 that is the class you have rolled, up til then it's just a way of introducing the game and sharing a story line.

So why not let us choose our advanced class at level 1 as even some anti-respec people in this thread have suggested as a compromise?

So why not let us choose our advanced class at level 1 as even some anti-respec people in this thread have suggested as a compromise?

Just a few reasons i can think of (though i ofcourse don't know what biowares reasons are) is that it reduces the amount of stories/quests etc needed to add in starting areas, people who are completely new to MMO's can get a feel for a class then make a better informed decision on there choice.

I mean there must be reasons, though personally i think that yeh the level 10 advanced class thing is silly, Aion had it also and it doesn't bring anything good to the table for MOST people.

But basically it's like a super long character creation screen, and that level 10 choice is your class. Your not a sith warrior, or a bounty hunter, you are a sentinel or a merc, for example

So why not meet us half way and let's say we'll change the AC selection part to level 1 instead of level 10 and all existing characters get a one-time-only free AC respec?

I could certainly support the idea of selecting your AC at the beginning of character creation, if someone wishes to do this, then i see no issue with it.

I also have no problem with them implementing a 1 time only change *IF* they were to make an adjustment like this.

However, I am very against this being something you can do on anything more than a once off basis.

Just a few reasons i can think of (though i ofcourse don't know what biowares reasons are) is that it reduces the amount of stories/quests etc needed to add in starting areas, people who are completely new to MMO's can get a feel for a class then make a better informed decision on there choice.

There wouldn't really need to be any changes, they'd just have to: -

a. Move the advanced class mission guy from the part where you enter the main level of the station to the starter planets, near the existing trainers.

b. Lower the level requirement for a couple of the weakest AC skills (or add a lower "spell rank" for balance purposes) and raise the level requirement for a couple of the most powerful base class skills so they stagger to cover the same level range.

This shouldn't even mess with damage vs. mobs balance in the starter zones.

I could certainly support the idea of selecting your AC at the beginning of character creation, if someone wishes to do this, then i see no issue with it.

I also have no problem with them implementing a 1 time only change *IF* they were to make an adjustment like this.

However, I am very against this being something you can do on anything more than a once off basis.

I'm open to either as long as my existing character got a one-time change in the event of changing AC to level 1.

Perfectly happy with that compromise.

Edited by PJEBarlow

I can't think of an MMO in history that allows you to swap your class for a same level class, i'll use the WOW example since alot of people know it. Would you post on the WOW forums saying blizzard let me swap my level 80 paladin for a level 80 warlock? ofcourse not, the issues it would cause are insane, people would be swapping about everytime one had an advantage over the other.

Compare apples to apples aka Jedi Knight (base class) to warrior (base class). There is not direct comparison after this point.

You can make a comparison with regards to roles and play style.

Jedi Sentinel = Fury Warrior in most respects (except armor type which is odd considering troopers)

Jedi Guardian = Arms and Prot Warrior in most respects.

Jedi Sage = Tree/Boomkin

Jedi Shadow = Cat/Bear

Sage/shadow/sentinel/guardian are according to the holonet specializations and according to other sources advanced classes.

I suspect the point will be moot once many people start to "raid". The screaming for more tanks and healers will outweigh the "no it should be a permanent choice" folks.

There is a shortage on most games for tanks and healers, it doesn't mean people call for letting them swap there class to a tank or healer. People just either put up with it, or roll one both options are available here.

Anyway yeah i 100% agree get rid of calling it 'advanced classes' and just call them classes and create them at startup or allow the choice straight away level 1.

It would get rid of this cluttered feeling of too many abilities, like sages with melee abilities that some are useless. Sure you can take them off your hotbars but it's just more confusion to new players.

To conclude advanced classes in my opinion bring nothing good to the table, and some all be it minor bad bits.

What it boils down to is that the AC (Stands for Advance Class) specialization.

The rules state that once you specialize that is it you have chosen.

Bioware reserves the right to change things if they want to. But they have no plans to do so before launch or after launch.

I think if they do allow respecing of the AC then I want to be able to respec my alliance from Empire to the republic cause I don't like what I have rolled and don't want to invest more time into rerolling.

So no I do not wish to have respecing of Advanced class as an option.

why would u want to change your class ?

you can reroll anytime you want. You can't do that in wow. You just can't click one button to change your mage into warrior. Well unless Blizzard decides to get more money from your pocket because Kotick wants to buy new pair of yatch.

First 10level is actually a guide. So no you won't get a chance to respec your entire class by simply clicking one button. Once you get to your fleet thats when you actually decide your class. So if you don't like your just say Imperial Agent gameplay just reroll. It is that simple. It won't take too long to start a new character. If you don't like your new character reroll again untill you decide which one you want to play. And at the end if you still don't like your current class, that means this game is just not for you. So unsubscribe and remove the game from your harddrive.

but you can change a healer into a tank, into dps

you can be a tank, a rogue, a mage, a healer = its called druid

the trees in wow are similar to the advance classes in swotr. ITs not mage becoming warrrior its a healdin becoming a tank like a merc healer becoming powertech tank.

I think if they do allow respecing of the AC then I want to be able to respec my alliance from Empire to the republic cause I don't like what I have rolled and don't want to invest more time into rerolling.

So no I do not wish to have respecing of Advanced class as an option.

Your, clearly sarcastic and passive-aggressive, suggestion is not the same thing. Even if you were serious, that's a different topic for a different thread.

Note that in your post you didn't actually provide an argument against the now two alternatives to simply re-rolling and re-treading the same low level content.

The only thing that could be an option is that if you really really really didn't want to do the first 10 levels of an area you have already done then maybe you can swap advanced classes but it resets everything, gear, levels etc. But i don't think anybody over level say.. 20 would take that option

Anyway Think of advanced classes as classes, once you make the choice completely seperate yourself from the other advanced class, or even the first 10 level 'broad' class

They should drop the archetype/class model and let players pick their class during character creation.

Your, clearly sarcastic and passive-aggressive, suggestion is not the same thing. Even if you were serious, that's a different topic for a different thread.

Note that in your post you didn't actually provide an argument against the now two alternatives to simply re-rolling and re-treading the same low level content.

No it is the same thing as changing your class or even sides. You have to reroll. That is the game mechanic.

There are no alternatives. That is the argument. Sorry if it went over your head.

It says your choice is permanent. You seemed to cut that part off when quoting me. What is so hard to understand?

Edited by Ranid

To the OP there are a few things to consider:

• The game designers stated that decisions in this game is supposed to matter. Now while most decisions doesn't make a huge difference (eg. light side .vs. dark side purely cosmetic cause gear and stuff are identical in stats) the one that matters is your Advanced Class Choice.
  • It should not have taken you 10 levels to realize that your advanced class isn't to your liking. To be honest by level 15 for the latest you should of realized that this Assassin isn't to my liking.
  • Having the same class story is not good enough grounds to call for AC switching. Granted it'd of been nice to have a different class story for each AC but that's not the case. It is not as bad as you think.

Now this is just me personally, I tend to make one of each class in any game I play to get an idea what each feels like and make a decision. I have made each class in the game and leveled them to level 15. Because they are mirrored I picked one AC on Empire (eg. Sorc) and the other on Republic (eg. Shadow). With this information I can now pick which class I truly like and wish to level up as my main even though I intend to play them all.

I do not know which server you're on but from my observation people are generally helpful in game with giving you tips on making the AC choice. I've constantly seen people ask this question in general and people always help them understand what each AC choice does. If you like to heal go Operative over Sniper or Guardians are the tanks and it's easier to get parties if you think tanking is something you'd be interested in.

Finally a little research wouldn't hurt. I know you want to spend your time playing the game and not reading the forums but it it prevents you from spending time rerolling it's time well spent.

I for one do not wish to see AC resets. Level 1-10 is not hard to do and you can find an alternative path to level 20. Do more flash points and pvp and just steamroll the class quest only so you can get your ship and be back to the point you were at before. It's not as bad as you think.

Edited by DarthKhaos

And for those who picked a advanced class they didn't like then what? I would hate to rerole and spend all of that time getting back to the point I was at. For example I chose Assassin think it would be fun, it wasn't. I fully understand how to use it but I hate it so much. But I am a lvl 20 and I don't want to rerole becuase unlike some people I don't have that much time.

Anyway there are no cons to respecing your advanced class so /signed.

That's like playing a rogue to 20 in WoW and telling blizzard, "you know... I'd much rather be a druid. let me respec to a new class"

And for those who picked a advanced class they didn't like then what? I would hate to rerole and spend all of that time getting back to the point I was at. For example I chose Assassin think it would be fun, it wasn't. I fully understand how to use it but I hate it so much. But I am a lvl 20 and I don't want to rerole becuase unlike some people I don't have that much time.

Anyway there are no cons to respecing your advanced class so /signed.

I think AC respecs up to level 20 would be a great idea.

A decision that doesn't affect anyone who says no, yet they still say no.

I really see who truly believes in the word freedom.If it doesn't affect you WHY do you CARE?

Keep your nose out of others business, a 1 time AC change wouldn't be an issue, nor would a 100k per change.

Mind your own business, it doesn't affect you, stop saying "no" as if your thoughts on the matter even matter to those who make the decision.

Edited by Liberate