Is the game failing? :(

Blackweb

I'd love to do a heroic on Hoth, but when there's only 4 Imperials on Hoth it's not going to happen. Really makes me not even want to log in during off peak times. Which just perpetuates the problem. Edited by Kourage

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting words like "huge" in all caps does not make it so. These forums are a very, very tiny portion of the playerbase.

Why must everyone assume they are the spokesperson for some majority that only exists in their head?

So you are actually suggesting that the outdated graphics, sounds bugs, static feel of the environment/lack of immersive feeling in the environment aren't actual issues, but just trolls who are bored?

You think the forum is flooding with threads on these issues, because people just want something to complain about or what?

Since it's impossible for anyone here to make a realistic statistic on how many people hate/love this and that, we can't ever discuss anything at all because we have no proof on how many people agree/disagree?

With that argument we can't ever discuss anything at all ever?

The reason people are complaining about these issue over and over, is because they are actual issues, that needs attention. So no I guess I can't proove that the percentage of ppl who agree on these issues is high/low, but take a look at all forums you can find discussing this game and tell me there isn't a reoccuring tendency on the same issues?

Edited by Blackweb

I don't doubt for a second it's true, that the playerbase is growing.

But 2+ mil or whatever isn't anything fantastic, 2+ mil is expected as a minimum when you take probably the most popular piece of fiction in the world along with the largest fanbase in the world? (or at least in the top 3 or something) and make an online community/game for it, then announce the game 3-4 years before release to make ppl go crazy with anticipation and then finally release a very unfinished product.

I'm just afraid that many people are still playing the game, solely because it's star wars and they love it so much! Which I know is my nr 1 reason for playing, I really want to love this game and I am in many ways. So far I'm loving the single player side of the game, since voice and story and combat is pretty damn awesome... it's just pretty much every MMO aspect of the game (which is the wow player in me talking) is either missing or not "feeling right" (which is basically the same as not working).

You can't tell me if you ever played wow and are forced to compare these two mmo's, that this mmo has anywhere near the solid and stable feel of an open and breathing online universe as much as wow has, it just doesn't come close and it frickin saddens me. They let EA push them into using an outdated gfx engine which feels, frankly unprofessional and amateur like, to save money and it screwed all of us high end gamers. I'm starting to prefer the toony wow look to this current state and I HATE that toony look.

I was able to make the game visually look bearable, but it doesn't feel bearable. I can't change that. It itself, isn't bearable, I can overlook bugs all day, but there is literally zero here I haven't done 500 times in the past 10 years. Except fudgin huttball, but god why would I want to do that anymore.

Is he really?

WoW Server Status

Click that and sort by population... somehow that game has dozens of high pop servers and tons more mediums.

Just sayin, I think people are just going back "Home" if you ask me.

on top of their servers supporting thousands more people..

Edited by mcfabulous

I just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

Are people leaving this game? Is it failing?

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and I TRULY want to love this game. So far I'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... the world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs OMG I can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other I think?

Is serious fixing coming to this game? Do you think it will get the overhaul that it needs?

I'm really worried that the EA budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously I'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz I just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But I really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

No amount of talking about how good it is, can obscure the truth, that this game needs a major overhaul to compete properly.

Please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

Thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, I want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

Well here in the US... if you (JUST) logged in... Most of us are at work or in school OR SHOULD BE.

SO the best time to log in is a Friday , Saturday, Sunday type thing... knowing that is when the most people play.

I dare say... a lot of the people that play this game work and are older... 27 years old.. or so I would not doubt is the avg player of it even.

My entire guild works .... so I see this myself.

I just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

Are people leaving this game? Is it failing?

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and I TRULY want to love this game. So far I'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... the world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs OMG I can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other I think?

Is serious fixing coming to this game? Do you think it will get the overhaul that it needs?

I'm really worried that the EA budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously I'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz I just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But I really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

No amount of talking about how good it is, can obscure the truth, that this game needs a major overhaul to compete properly.

Please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

Thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, I want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

Your seeing the 30% burn off. Every MMO goes through this. Its a launch game and people had way to high of expectations. so SWTOR could lose quite alot of actual sub revenue next month.

I was able to make the game visually look bearable, but it doesn't feel bearable. I can't change that. It itself, isn't bearable, I can overlook bugs all day, but there is literally zero here I haven't done 500 times in the past 10 years. Except fudgin huttball, but god why would I want to do that anymore.

on top of their servers supporting thousands more people..

What bad rig are you playing on to make them look bearable?? lol....

I hate to say it but even using that word, either means your playing on a old rig... or that your comparing this to a unlocked modded version of SKYRIM and trying to compare it to that lol.

This game is a sinking ship. Over half the people in my guild already unsubbed and quit. Many servers are now reading light/standard at prime time hours. The end game loot system in this game is garbage. Game is plagued with major bugs that still haven't been fixed since early beta. Combat is clunky -- having a 1.5 sec global cooldown with no auto attack was just a dumb idea, especially considering how laggy this game can be.

Game is basically still in an alpha phase and was obviously rushed out the door to capitalize on holiday sales. Might be worth checking how things are in 3-6 months. In the meantime population numbers will drop dramatically over the course of the next couple months.

I think the server numbers and populations are fudged.

I am on a high/full server and in some planets and areas there areonly a small handful of people. How can my server be full?

because it has pop caps..... if the server only allows say 500 people and 500 are on its full dude....

if the server allows 2k people on and all slots are on its full....

The traffic indicator only tells you how active the server is at the time your logging in.

No one knows if that full means theres 500 people playing on the server or 2k.

Its also possible that your side is the unpopular side on your server.

Also its the day after maint... the morning after actually... theres normally not alot of people on right now in most mmo's right after maint on a thursday morning lol. Last night during prime time most servers were heavy, very heavy, or full.

Edited by Barracudastr

The reason people are complaining about these issue over and over, is because they are actual issues, that needs attention. So no I guess I can't proove that the percentage of ppl who agree on these issues is high/low, but take a look at all forums you can find discussing this game and tell me there isn't a reoccuring tendency on the same issues?

The reason why people defend those same issues over and over again perhaps means that there is really not much of a big deal because either on their machines the game runs fine (not gamebreaking) or there are issues that Bioware recognises like (ability delay) and posts a message saying their looking at it. BIOWARE will find bugs and fix them !!!! they have the time to do it.

Also, what is yur real intention, do you really want to leave this game and not pay for it anymore? You can do that and come back in a year and try this game again and see how you feel about it.

Edited by Blacktailstalker

Go on at peak time in the server region you are comparing populations in then you'll get a more realistic idea of what is and isn't busy.

I never have to queue for the servers I'm on for Empire or Republic. However they also don't seem busy enough but I think tha'ts more due to the phasing or sharding that BW do. The game feels far too quiet :(

Last night very few servers had queues on the EU side. I have no idea what it's like for the NA ones.

So you are actually suggesting that the outdated graphics, sounds bugs, static feel of the environment/lack of immersive feeling in the environment aren't actual issues, but just trolls who are bored?

You think the forum is flooding with threads on these issues, because people just want something to complain about or what?

Since it's impossible for anyone here to make a realistic statistic on how many people hate/love this and that, we can't ever discuss anything at all because we have no proof on how many people agree/disagree?

With that argument we can't ever discuss anything at all ever?

Regarding the outdated graphics, sounds bugs, and static feel of the environment/lack of immersive feeling in the environment;

I'd like to point out that there is a very large thread on the graphics which earned a response deliver by Reid that was developed over the course of several days and had to get OK's from several people in the dev team before he was comfortable with posting it, the response didn't give the answer that was hoped for, but it illustrates that the issue has the company's attention.

As for sound bugs, i have not seen major thread on it but i think the best action to take is to give Bio details on what the bugs are, such as what sound is cutting out and where and when it coccurs. I mean specific examples that the development team can consistently reproduce, as a software developer i cannot tell you how valuable that can be. We can deliver those via in game bug reports are as post in the suggestion forums.

Now the static feel, this is a difficult one as it is very subjective. We will need to give as many possible examples of what looks static and what looks alive in terms of the game in order to try to get this addressed. And without that there is little that can be done aside from very high level statements like "the environment feels static", feel is almost impossible to quantify. it can also lead to undesired changes if specific examples aren't provided and discussed. For example to try to make the enemies less static they could add more patrolling mobs walking around, but then you have the issue of what if those patrols converge on a player when they are not expecting it? Complexe, subjective issues will need a lot of discussion with examples to move forward.

I must say something, guys

I'm playing WoW on the Eredar-US server, Alliance side

It's supposedly ''dead'' and it's online since 2004

Yet, when I log on Eredar, there is 2-3 time more people than my Standard Pop server, Courageous. At peak hours.

Edited by Angedechu

Despite no queues on my own server anymore even at peak times... i am seeing over 200 players in some areas such as coruscant and republic fleet... way more than when the servers had queues. The population loads on loadscreen was artificially high at launch due to populations having lower caps to try and spread players out as i expected they would do :)

It would seem the population caps have been raised...

Game is doing the opposite of failing

What bad rig are you playing on to make them look bearable?? lol....

I hate to say it but even using that word, either means your playing on a old rig... or that your comparing this to a unlocked modded version of SKYRIM and trying to compare it to that lol.

I'm playing a rig capable of handling this game on actual high settings x 10

However I'm playing a game at half the settings its supposed to be at. I played the beta and it ran fine on highest. Now i'm playing Star Wars The Pastel Republic

Regarding the outdated graphics, sounds bugs, and static feel of the environment/lack of immersive feeling in the environment;

I'd like to point out that there is a very large thread on the graphics which earned a response deliver by Reid that was developed over the course of several days and had to get OK's from several people in the dev team before he was comfortable with posting it, the response didn't give the answer that was hoped for, but it illustrates that the issue has the company's attention.

I'm faily certain anyone could have guessed that the company knew they took out a game option..

Edited by mcfabulous

On the server I am, the amount of people on the republic fleet's been increasing, especially this week, so either there was a massive empire exodus to republic for us or the server I'm on is getting more players.

So I'd say it's actually getting better.

I think it's the outrageous server cap limits that they had on early game access that made the server populations look over-inflated.

Edited by Dyalad

Crafting sucks, rail space shooter sucks, ability lag sucks, pvp lag sucks, load screen quests suck, etc....

but in spite of all that I still love the game and will be playing for at least 3 months. More if they fix most of the above.

Edited by --Grim--

Several things...

In the US, it's between 6am and 9am - People are going to school/work.

In the EU, it's between 2pm and 4pm - People are at school/work.

The servers have been down all morning for a patch and only recently came back up.

No, this game isn't failing, but I think you might be...

I've noticed this as well, during peak hours. I have several friends that play across several servers so I tend to bounce in and out of the server list a bit. And frankly while I didn't equate the server pops to the success of the game it is moderately alarming.

If I recall correctly however they adjusted the server pop figures shortly after the official launch so this may play a part in the low numbers....Still I've noticed those pops have been less after the change.....

So to answer your question....Maybe?

I must say something, guys

I'm playing WoW on the Eredar-US server, Alliance side

It's supposedly ''dead'' and it's online since 2004

Yet, when I log on Eredar, there is 2-3 time more people than my Standard Pop server, Courageous. At peak hours.

Well in SW sure... lol or ogrimmar

My server is only heavy during peak yet when I go to fleet theres far to many people there and it lags hard think there was 300 in fleet alone last night. It looked like SW from wow to be honest.

Crafting sucks, rail space shooter sucks, ability lag sucks, pvp lag sucks, load screen quests suck, etc....

but in spite of all that I still love the game and will be playing for at least 3 months. More if they fix most of the above.

Lest your willing to see reason and wait for Bioware to do something instead of throwing up your hands and stomping off like a two year old.

Well me and my friends had planned on focusing on PVP in this game, for our end game content. We wanted to play on a pvp server, join a PVP guild , do our thing.

Because PVP is so horrible, controls are unbearably unresponsive and lagged we rerolled on a PVE server, so we could just play through the story and enjoy the single player part, and if they don't fix warzones and the unresponsive controls that show up when you get alot of characters on screen, we won't be resubbing.

We arent interested in raiding, and doing 4 mans at lvl 50over and over is not my idea of fun

Its interesting how people buy a game ith the wrong expectations and are pissed when they don't get what they expected. Sounds like perhaps you and your guild should have instead invested your money in BF3 or maybe WHO as they are heavily PVP focused.

As for sound bugs, i have not seen major thread on it but i think the best action to take is to give Bio details on what the bugs are, such as what sound is cutting out and where and when it coccurs. I mean specific examples that the development team can consistently reproduce, as a software developer i cannot tell you how valuable that can be. We can deliver those via in game bug reports are as post in the suggestion forums.

Now the static feel, this is a difficult one as it is very subjective. We will need to give as many possible examples of what looks static and what looks alive in terms of the game in order to try to get this addressed. And without that there is little that can be done aside from very high level statements like "the environment feels static", feel is almost impossible to quantify. it can also lead to undesired changes if specific examples aren't provided and discussed. For example to try to make the enemies less static they could add more patrolling mobs walking around, but then you have the issue of what if those patrols converge on a player when they are not expecting it? Complexe, subjective issues will need a lot of discussion with examples to move forward.

Very informative tbh, I'm no developer but I do know that bug reports are essential which is why I have been making them during beta and now still in the actual game.

I'm just... dissapointed, I was hoping that they would somehow hit that X-factor like wow has, you know what I mean? When you take all these things that the game consists of, graphics, sounds, community, infrastructure etc. etc. etc. and they all come together in harmony to give you that "wow" feeling. Cuz wow did give us that feeling when it was released, yes there were bugs and plenty of things not working right, but even then it had the "wow" feel, it had the x-factor and this game just doesn't have it. I truly hope they find it though... crossing my fingers all the way.

Edited by Blackweb

Well in SW sure... lol or ogrimmar

My server is only heavy during peak yet when I go to fleet theres far to many people there and it lags hard think there was 300 in fleet alone last night. It looked like SW from wow to be honest.

On my server, there was a whopping 29 people on fleet at peak hour.

Lest your willing to see reason and wait for Bioware to do something instead of throwing up your hands and stomping off like a two year old.

What was the point of a beta if they didn't fix anything that was brought to their attention in beta? This game has some serious issues, but yet fanboys keep convincing Bioware that there are no issues.

Personally, I like the rails space missions and the crafting system, but the PVP lag is awful. the ability lag is even worse, and I don't think problems like ability lag can be solved quickly; there's a lot of thought that goes into ability lag.

More mindless posting, people aren't reading.

To be fair, you're "trolling" just as bad as the people you complained about at the start of the thread.

The problem is that you made a claim (the fact you formed it in a question is irrelevant, see also: Did Glenn Beck murder a girl in 1990?) without actually looking for relevant or logical data to back it up. I agree that this isn't an offense which warrants personal insults, but a little common sense might have warned you that it was going to happen if you posted like that.

Now, on-topic and in a rational, mature tone:

I've been playing on the same servers since the EGA. Since we don't have access to raw server population numbers, I'll use the Fleet population as a gauge. Feel free to accept/argue the accuracy of that. At the end of EGA, I saw 150 people on the (Republic) Fleet. The server activity was marked as FULL. A week later, Fleet population was 160 and the server was now marked as VERY HIGH. Was it because relatively more people were hanging out in the Fleet? Maybe, but that seems unlikely. Yesterday, I saw 150 people in the Fleet and the server was marked as STANDARD.

Why was 150 people in Fleet 'FULL' in EGA and just 'STANDARD' in January? Is it because people are just hanging out at the fleet? There may be some truth in that. However, it seems even more likely that Bioware has been gradually and systematically increasing the population caps. In fact, they even said that they were, with the explicit purpose in trying to even out the population across the servers.

Notice how, after a few of the routinely High population servers were still getting a lot of traffic despite having a handful of Light servers around, the Light servers all suddenly became Standard servers practically overnight.

I can make only one conclusion: Bioware is changing the ranges for what each of the classifications is, partially to better reflect the capabilities of the servers and partially as a social engineering exercise to control populations.

Thus:

Using the server level classifications to measure overall population is next to useless.

Comparing population classifications from past weeks is entirely pointless.