The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Your right that's why I spend 2K on a custom gaming rig, once again your assuming and know nothing about me so stop pretending like you do. And if your an American you paid for my gaming rig thank you in advance.

One of the main reasons I PC game and not Console game is so I DO have the option to run at the settings I choose.

I am upset over the advertising of the game as something they did not deliver. And more upset that they removed the choice for me based on what they thought was best for me.

and as far as the official statement- Dont piss on my leg and tell me its raining- is what I think about that.

Edited by JNewell

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement."

Really your suppossedly in IT and greater visual fidelity=Hi Resolution textures to you? LOL really dude stop while your behind.

And the few get the upper management jobs! :D

What I have noticed as a network admin when reporting to my upper management is that they do not have a clue what I am talking about most of the time, they nod and smile, and then tell the users something that only infuriates the users more because what I was trying to say did not get clearly communicated. Needless to say, I prefer to communicate with the users directly on sensitive issues.

Actually, I work for a simulation development company, and part time for a company that develops high end mathematics software.

And if you don't have an SSD, I wasn't speaking for you.

It is extremely simple, atlassing was not in the game during beta, it was added. Unless SR just blasted a bunch of lies out his rear, the specific reason for doing this was that SPINDLE drives had trouble loading all the textures during normal gameplay. If it was bringing SSD's to their knees (keep in mind, spindles have about 500 iops, SSD's have about 50,000) then the game is literally more HD intensive than a database being accessed by thousands of people simultaneously, which would be the single worst coding ever.

So, for me, and others who purchased SSD's specifically to allow for high speed loading of textures from the HD, something like atlassing is a completely worthless feature. And we should be able to disable it if we want.

If the atlassing was so poorly implemented so that it cannot simply be turned off at whim, then the whole feature needs to be removed, and fixed, before it is put back in.

Adding a checkbox for disable should only take a week, removing a broken feature should only take a week. It's really just a matter of "ok, we put a checkbox in" "now we test" "oh, it works" "done". If the feature is broken, then it's "remove code" "test" "it works" "done".

The only possible reason in existence that it couldn't be done in a week, is because the developers did not document anything they did, so nobody really knows what parts of the code do this (which would be beyond ludicrous, and extremely bad for bioware in the long run.)

The truth is this simple my friend its double talk and back peddle. the truth is this in 2009 it was brought to light by another member of these forums( they caught i small tiny interview that was not to be aired) where dev D.D. went on to explain how they had to rewrite the hero engine to support as many users TOR needed for devolpment. he also went on to explain that the engine was no longer able to support updates from Hero and could not accept newer features the liscense had added.this was in 2007 and he also explained it was the reason they could not support anything past DX 9 when asked about Dx 10 or 11 in TOR's future.AA makes a signicant difference as far as graphical appearance , i am pretty sure the atlasing he is talking about is hogwash and a way to confuse an average user like myself. thank you for shining truth on this.

Really your suppossedly in IT and greater visual fidelity=Hi Resolution textures to you? LOL really dude stop while your behind.

That is what he is talking about. Please explain how greater visual fidelity of you character and others around could mean anything but better textures in the context of his post. I would seriously love to hear an alternative.

Honestly, just fix high res textures for my character and my companion and anybody within say 10-30 meters, then id shut up and go back to playing and waiting for the other fixes

anything greater then average attack distance is over kill anyway because thats when u cant see the detail

MY FINAL POST ON THIS MATTER and it better get done lol if they want my money at renewal

That is what he is talking about. Please explain how greater visual fidelity of you character and others around could mean anything but better textures in the context of his post. I would seriously love to hear an alternative.

It could mean anything that the devteam considers an improvement to graphical quality. Versus something more direct, as in 'making the cutscene texture quality available in the rest of the game.'

Sure, it could mean the introduction of anti-alaising, lighting changes, shaders. Now let's hear your 'Network Admin' take on how greater visual fidelity means hi-resolution textures in the game and how somehow in this little quote you can possibly derive that from his statement?

Well there has to be something to all of this with how fast this thread is moving. I for one would love the hi-res textures, I have a massive gaming rig that currently handles every game under the sun, so I would like the option to use them if I could run it at the FPS I want (60fps).

I am not clever, only due to contrast when conversing with you.

Let me enlighten you.

This is a cinimatic cutscene

However this is just a cutscene

Some will argue this a cinematic cutscene from swtor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpPQ7YtrC4

But you miss the point in the argument entirely. The difference is a proper cinematic will play a video file rather then render it in realtime. Which is what swtor does. Which is why everyone can see the potential they are restricted from.

I took your point just fine, and I feel you should know, it's cinematic, not cinimatic (I know you probably know how to spell it, I'm just showing how stupid it is to correct someone on something like that). Secondly, you should also be aware that people do not always speak with the utmost formality. He was probably being informal, which is stupid to play semantics when he's speaking in a fairly informal way.

He either does know the definition of the word because he works on that sort of thing, or he doesn't know because he's just the messenger which isn't wrong at all.

So instead of running around, thinking you're all clever with your semantics, just chill. We're not all out to be 100% correct in regards to spelling and grammar, so pay attention to the real issue instead of attacking someone for no reason.

It could mean anything that the devteam considers an improvement to graphical quality. Versus something more direct, as in 'making the cutscene texture quality available in the rest of the game.'

His post is about hi res textures. It is very likely that he thus means better textures when he says increased fidelity. Perhaps they won't get it perfect, and maybe they have some technology being worked on that will make the lod better based on distance. We cannot be certain, but it will improve.

Edited by Fellthar

Honestly, just fix high res textures for my character and my companion and anybody within say 10-30 meters, then id shut up and go back to playing and waiting for the other fixes

anything greater then average attack distance is over kill anyway because thats when u cant see the detail

Agreed. This is all I ask for.

Edited by Zandog

Quick fix to increase performance AND use high resolution textures everywhere.

Toggle option in Graphics -> Only Display Player Companion/Player Group Companions.

Fleet performance just got 100% better for everyone. Anywhere else you might see companions in use, doesn't have enough people knotted up in one area for it to ever be an issue.

MY FINAL POST ON THIS MATTER and it better get done lol if they want my money at renewal

If they even fixed it only for my char and my companion i would be satisfied, just 2 high rez characters to draw can't have that much impact in game performance, can it ?

maybe on a game this poorly optimized it can.

I'm curious as to what people are actually seeing in the game. Here are a few shots taken from my computer today, best viewed at 100%.

Warning, these are big files.

The first 4 are captured at the max quality I think my computer will display.

This with all settings on max, and I'm using Catalyst to force 16 AF, 8xEQ morphological AA, tessellation, and supersampling. In the second image, I think I can read the Aurebesh on the handle of the bounty hunter's pistol (that's if I could read Aurebesh).

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6914/swtor20120111hires3.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9692/swtor20120111hires4.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/769/swtor20120111hires5.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2894/hires6.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, but as you can see from the red FPS numbers in the top right corner, this is not even close to being playable.

The next 2 images are captured at the settings I play at. 8x EQAA is left on. Everything else is set to use the application settings. Notice the difference in the framerate.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6136/swtor20120111playable1.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8943/swtor20120111playable2.jpg

Sure, it could mean the introduction of anti-alaising, lighting changes, shaders. Now let's hear your 'Network Admin' take on how greater visual fidelity means hi-resolution textures in the game and how somehow in this little quote you can possibly derive that from his statement?

The quote was from his most recent post on hi res textures. What else do you think he is talking about in a post that is about hi res textures. This isn't tech talk, this is simply reading what he is talking about.

Edited by Fellthar

I'm curious as to what people are actually seeing in the game. Here are a few shots taken from my computer today, best viewed at 100%.

Warning, these are big files.

The first 4 are captured at the max quality I think my computer will display.

This with all settings on max, and I'm using Catalyst to force 16 AF, 8xEQ morphological AA, tessellation, and supersampling. In the second image, I think I can read the Aurebesh on the handle of the bounty hunter's pistol (that's if I could read Aurebesh).

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6914/swtor20120111hires3.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9692/swtor20120111hires4.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/769/swtor20120111hires5.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2894/hires6.jpg

I think it looks pretty good, but as you can see from the red FPS numbers in the top right corner, this is not even close to being playable.

The next 2 images are captured at the settings I play at. 8x EQAA is left on. Everything else is set to use the application settings. Notice the difference in the framerate.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6136/swtor20120111playable1.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8943/swtor20120111playable2.jpg

The textures on armor are terrible on all of your examples. I'm not sure why you think our complaints are at all related to AA.

How can you program in low/medium/high then say it was a bug

It was deliberate

And now they've deliberately removed them

The eff is this.

I know that gameplay > graphics, but you can't release a game like this in late 2011/early 2012 without hi-res textures. It's just not done.

I know I'm going to get heat for this, but when World Of Warcraft, a game that's old as f*** implements hi-res textures and manages to look better than your brand new game, you've done something terribly wrong.

Also, I know this is unrelated, but why the heck is there no AA still

Again, this is something that you can't leave out in this day and age

This game must have been optimized by monkeys because it runs so terribly that we can't have hi-res textures OR AA.

Edited by Beslley

If they even fixed it only for my char and my companion i would be satisfied, just 2 high rez characters to draw can't have that much impact in game performance, can it ?

maybe on a game this poorly optimized it can.

Ok agreed, if they just let my charcter and whichever companion im using have them since that is what i have to look at 100% the time, then id wait for the rest the fixes and keep my sub

I lol'd at "The Blurry Republic" comment.

Great game but alas...it is a ROLE playing game. Not much point in a game where getting new armor is a big deal only to see basically the same blurry hood outfit on your body. May as well make all armors the same if you are going this disappointing route Stephen.

better hope Lucas doesn't see this, you know how picky he is about his stuff...

Now we see how many sleepers there were on this issue once a bad reply comes out of Bioware.

Ok agreed, if they just let my charcter and whichever companion im using have them since that is what i have to look at 100% the time, then id wait for the rest the fixes and keep my sub

No way, all or nothing.

They aren't gonna half-*** anything anymore, we can't stand for it.

I know that gameplay > graphics, but you can't release a game like this in late 2011/early 2012 without hi-res textures. It's just not done.

I know I'm going to get heat for this, but when World Of Warcraft, a game that's old as f*** implements hi-res textures and manages to look better than your brand new game, you've done something terribly wrong.

The large problem here is that while you're right game play is > graphics, TOR's game play is only just barely adequate in regards to the market standard anyways.

The only thing standing out and away from pretty much the rest of the same old crap in every other MMO is the cinematic story telling elements and thats it.

So you have subpar graphics. Relativistically average game play.

Put them together and you end up with a rather forgettable experience.

I lol'd at "The Blurry Republic" comment.

Great game but alas...it is a ROLE playing game. Not much point in a game where getting new armor is a big deal only to see basically the same blurry hood outfit on your body. May as well make all armors the same if you are going this disappointing route Stephen.

better hope Lucas doesn't see this, you know how picky he is about his stuff...

Now we see how many sleepers there were on this issue once a bad reply comes out of Bioware.

Yeah, not gonna lie, I like to coordinate outfits in MMOs but what's the point if every piece is a blurry mess?