How do I get my GF to play SWTOR?

Torothin

Basically, i told my girlfriend that if she is lucky I would introduce her to my online friends on TS. She looked at me for a minute, laughed at me and then said ok....Does anyone have any advice for me? How do I take the next step in order to get her involved in the game. Would a team speak session/wz session with my character potentially get her hooked as my guildies were nice and explained the game to her through voice comms? DISCUSS! Thank you in advance.

- Toro

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When she chooses a class, make sure you have a low level toon on the same planet. Follow her around as she does her quests and help her out (but importantly, don't do stuff for her, or kill all the mobs before she can get to them) and answer her questions. If she laughs and has fun, then you are onto a winner.

If your guildies are nice, then no reason not to introduce her. Most guys like a female voice on TS.

Edit: don't try and get a 6 hr gaming session out of it the first time. Explain how the dialogue choices work e.g. good=top, neutral=middle, bad=bottom, because it's not that obvious to start with, and the labels don't always match up to what you say.

Edited by Slightlycampana

What you have to ask yourself is, how much can you trust that someone on TS won't say something that totally turns her off the game?

Tread carefully, padawan.

Agreed, in a situation like this sometimes all it takes is one moron or simply a really asinine comment to do that.

We're going off the assumption that your girlfriend actually has an interesting in playing MMOs or Video Games in general.

Step One: Let her play around with the character creator. Depending on said girlfriend, this might be a bit time intensive or rather short. Being able to physical create a character might form some sort of attachment to it, and since they do spot out a one-liner when you get to things like body type and hair will introduce her to voice acting.

Step Two: Let her play around in the starting area. While account sharing is frowned upon, I'm hoping BioWare will turn a blind eye with the prospect of a new player. If she gets hooked on her characters personality and storyline...

Step Three: Profit! ... Or rather, since you both can't be playing the same account simultaneously, the fact that if she wants to continue playing the game, or to play with you (you should stress that if she has her own copy, you can PLAY TOGETHER!), she'll need her own version.

Also offering to buy her a copy (don't forget to mention it includes 30 days free game time!) might help, because then it's not a matter of spending HER MONEY on something she might not enjoy.

Edited by Rhapsodies

Basically, i told my girlfriend that if she is lucky I would introduce her to my online friends on TS. She looked at me for a minute, laughed at me and then said ok....Does anyone have any advice for me? How do I take the next step in order to get her involved in the game. Would a team speak session/wz session with my character potentially get her hooked as my guildies were nice and explained the game to her through voice comms? DISCUSS! Thank you in advance.

- Toro

Buy her the game and then ask her to spend some time with you playing it.

Worked well for me w/ my wife. :D

Dear god. My wife took one look at the game and told me I was on my own.

In fact, she nearly freaked out when she look the controls for 5 seconds (only to try and kill me, she does it as a joke, she took over my game of empire total war while I was cooking dinner once and declared war on every single country in the game...) while she was runnign around lookign for a ledge to jump off she asked why there were all these people with blue names running around. I told her they were other players and she jumped up like id shot her.

Shes so self concious that she doesnt like the idea of upseting a person who has no idea who she is, or even considering the fact she was on MY account....

Some people just wont get this game, dont bother, unless they have expressed some interrest there is no reason.

If she isn't playing any MMOs at all just quit while you are ahead. Quit this game and never play another MMO again. If she is addicted to WoW it becomes much more difficult. You will probably need to convince your guild to start playing SWTOR first as most women just like playing with friends.

Then have her play with you and handhold her through some quests and try to get her addicted to cool cutscenes. Then let her loose and play separately while sitting next to eachother for hours at a time. Remember don't talk, because one of you are always going to be in a cutscene.

- Toro

If you can unlock this mystery, can you let me in on it? Maybe I could get my wife on board. She only lets me play an hour, or so, a day. :(

Edit: don't try and get a 6 hr gaming session out of it the first time. Explain how the dialogue choices work e.g. good=top, neutral=middle, bad=bottom, because it's not that obvious to start with, and the labels don't always match up to what you say.

That's not obvious because that's not true. >.>

- Toro

Years ago, with SWG and WOW my wife was starting to get fed up with me playing MMOs.

We had fights about it even.

She just wasn't a gamer beyond Tetris, Columns and The Sims.

Well I played a bit less over the years, she learned to accept me for who I was.

One day, I was sitting around watching another of her "Pride & Prejudice" type films with her.

And then it donned on me.

I asked her to pause the show.

And started a conversation where I laid out the behavior of our relationship.

I have been going to her auctions, her events, helping with her volunteer work, watching her movies. Hell I even went shopping with her at her stores.

I then said you will not go to any of my geek events, you refuse to enter a game store with me while at the mall, you read a book when I request you sit down to watch my shows and you don't support any of my projects for the community.

I said it appears I am more tolerable of you then you are of me.

She got this scowl on her face and was about to say something, then she stopped. She looked thoughtful for a minute, and said I was right.

She asked what she could do, so I sat her down in front of CoH, MMOLIte.

And that was all she wrote.

I caught her playing mid day, or she would ask me in the evening to go group up for some online fun and so on.

And the rest is history.

Edited by Fraxture

If she is not a person inclined to play games already, I don't know what to tell you.

My very first boyfriend got me into mmos long ago. I used to go to his house and read Cosmo while he did RvR in DAoC. Eventually I was watching him play more than reading, and when SWG came out I (a star wars nerd) was instantly sold. Been gaming ever since.