Cut EXP gain 35% across the board

chahdich

I level up too slowly.

I would like to follow the class quests and only few other quests (mainly flashpoints)

A slider about how fast to gain experience (from 0% to 1000% of normal exp) would be useful indeed.

Edited by genpion

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading all these responses in all these threads speaks volumes about the people playing these games these days.

Looks like BW got onto a winner becasue this crowd is exactly the type they aimed for.

Probably aweful gamers, yet can justify it by having a job ( as do i ) so playing anymore then 5 minutes a week is a big NO GO....

When exactly did people stop wanting a challenge in their " hobby", cause thats what this is , a hobby.

Sadly, with the popularization of gaming, a lot of people don't consider this a hobby anymore, but just another way of passing time. Cause, you have to admit, playing games is loads more fun than say, watching TV.

My wife and i have been playing MMORPGs since EQ in '99 and this one is a blast. I could go on and on telling you how much fun we are having, but it's just going by too dang fast. We are casual players and in a few weeks play we are already 39. That's just way too fast and you can only reroll so many times.

Cutting EXP gain would slow the game down and add needed time sinks. If the game doesn't have the content that would allow a decrease in EXP and still allow leveling then Bioware could retool some of the flashpoints making them hard but solo-able as well as Heroic 2/4.

It's a great game and I hope we get to play it for a long time.

Please don't nerf exp gain. I'm level 34 and did few quests in alteraan. Also was over 28 when i started tatooine. It makes things a lot easier because you only have to group up for the 4men heroics. Depending on the class and if you are near up to date with the gear, you can solo the 2men heroics but still having to think how to do it properly (it's not faceroll). I really like this idea and I don't believe it should ever be changed.

I was level 28 when i started nar shaddaa bonus series and let me tell you it was a pain in the neck. Was quite difficult killing some packs of normal mobs + 1 silver. With all the stupid traveling time wasted in order to get to your ship and on/off other planets it sucks having to return there to finish the group quests after finishing the next planet. Being 3-4 levels above the "entry level" for the next planet is quite ok. This difference was present also because of being rested for 2-3 levels (quest completion experience does not count towards that though). So please don't change anything.

"Casual" is getting thrown around as a negative far too harshly in this post and I feel the need to explain clearly why "casual" is not the reason you're feeling upset and also probably help you realize WHY you're upset even if you don't fully know it.

For everyone who believes this and other MMOs are "dumbed down" to such an extent I don't believe you have really experienced the depth of what many of these MMOs have to offer in terms of what they refer to as their "hard mode" difficulties. WoW has some of the most difficult fights in modern gaming and top end operation guilds in ToR place the difficulty of the current raids on par with WoW, RIFT, and similar AAA mmos.

Games aren't getting easier they are just difficult in a way some of you may not be used to. The difficulty of MMOs now is NOT in the leveling process as it once was back in the days of DaOC or EQ. There was a time when a game could ask people to spend a year leveling 1-50 (DAoC) but back then there was NO competition in the MMO industry and your character in those times was pretty much a life-alternative.

The difficulty of games back in those days was not even really in actual execution of the game or even playing it but how much time you had to devote to it. Yes, you had buttons to push, yes you had neat moves you had to cast and everyone had their own role to play, but if you go back and look at the quoted mechanics for content back then and now the pace is completely different. Seriously, go back and look at the fight mechanics for old MMO PvE "Boss" content and compare that to MMOs now. Hell, even look at the difference is mechanics of "trash" mobs now and "farm content" back then. Most of the changes to MMOs came in the feel of the enemies you fought and how you fought them. Back in those days you required groups to take down similar level enemies and now we take on 5-8 enemies at once as an individual.

Is it harder back then or now? Well, the hard part back then was getting the group together, getting your arrows and making sure everything was set up, getting to your farming zone, and it SEEMED more complex because 5 people needed to do different moves, but really, your job was really small compared to what you have to do now as an individual. Back then you might have only needed to pull and dps, or even just dps and nothing else, but most of the time no matter what your job your moves were mostly performing standing still, or getting to your position and standing still, the fights were not very mobile or variable. Furthermore you had a specific person to CC and a specific person to heal and tank. Now while leveling we have to pull, CC, heal, and tank all on our own, during instanced content in groups we STILL have to CC, interrupt, and remain very mobile.

So the majority of people don't like standing at a spawn point for a rare spawn for hours. So the majority of the playerbase now doesn't find it fun to grand a spawn of purple mobs in a random grass field just to level. Is that really such a bad thing? I wouldn't blame the playerbase because they don't want to do something so mundane for such an extended period of time, that's ridiculous and its amazing games survived that long WHILE doing that, but also back then games were based around immersion and community while games now cost too much to create and operate that attracting JUST the people who want a new life immersion wouldn't cover the cost of maintenance let alone updates.

Not to be totally rude but if you started playing this game after a long stint away from EQ or DAoC and are upset with how easy the game is to level then maybe you don't understand the way MMOs have changed over the years.

When I started playing this game I became once again nostalgic to the old feel of MMOs the same as many of you, but soon I realized that many of the things WoW and RIFT have put into place have been put into place for a VERY GOOD REASON. It is to try to find that balance between ease of access and immerssion and rarely will it meet the standards of a player completely ESPECIALLY when there are so many other MMOs that have built so many different ways for their player base.

There needs to be a balance between immersion and easy of access and I feel ToR did a fairly decent job at this in many ways for how they wanted their game to feel. However, some things (such as dual spec) I'm shocked to find people against at all, but they exist, and as much as I may not like a part of the system they have in place, its put in place for a reason and that's the way THIS GAME is and I will weigh how important this option is to me in a game. If I feel some of the luxuries of other MMOs are more important to me than some of the unique things ToR brings then I will eventually leave ToR and thats not to say ToR is NOT a good game, it just might not be my flavor and I wouldn't INSULT anyone for liking it.

My final point rings back to my original point. MMOs are not what they used to be, they are more games now than they ever have been before and will be more like games in the future than they are now, it is just the nature of the beast. You CANNOT blame casual players for the trend of MMOs, it is truly a great loss in some cases for sense of immersion but in many cases if we did not lose some of the "alternative life" feel then we would not have attracted the playerbase necessary to generate revenue for future games to be built.

MMOs have not gotten easier, they have become more accessible. The difficulty is still there and if you want to really attain it you can apply to some of the guilds that are reaching for those marks. The guilds that ARE reaching those marks are also not the ones on here saying "the game is too easy" or "there's nothing to do in the end game", they are the ones testing the mettle of some of the hardest content games have yet to put in front of players and when I see some of the videos of these fights, its more work than I am willing to put into it, so I wish them luck.

You are my hero.:)

I'd claim to be a casual gamer cos I play 4-6 hours weekdays and 8-12 hours weekends and I'm only mid 30s. Of course, some days I don't play at all though I login for an hour or two to do some crafting or PvP-ing.

EXP is fine. No need for me to grind and with rest EXP, I can level up a couple each week.

Exp is fine. Where do these numbskulls come from?

Just because they want something you don't, doesn't make them a numbskull, though it might say something about you for suggesting it.

A toggle to turn xp gain off would be simple and satisfy most requirements for those who value the journey more than the destination.

My wife and i have been playing MMORPGs since EQ in '99 and this one is a blast. I could go on and on telling you how much fun we are having, but it's just going by too dang fast. We are casual players and in a few weeks play we are already 39. That's just way too fast and you can only reroll so many times.

Cutting EXP gain would slow the game down and add needed time sinks. If the game doesn't have the content that would allow a decrease in EXP and still allow leveling then Bioware could retool some of the flashpoints making them hard but solo-able as well as Heroic 2/4.

The minute I have to spend hours grinding mobs to catch up to content, I quit. That's what would happen. That's what happened in those other MMORPGs, and it sucked, it wasn't fun. If you want to spread out your leveling experience, turn off sprint and don't buy a mount, don't impose your game play on us.

I'd claim to be a casual gamer cos I play 4-6 hours weekdays and 8-12 hours weekends and I'm only mid 30s. Of course, some days I don't play at all though I login for an hour or two to do some crafting or PvP-ing.

EXP is fine. No need for me to grind and with rest EXP, I can level up a couple each week.

That's not casual. I play 1-2 hours a day tops, if I have time. 1/4th of your day on a game is a lot.

So far on my repub main I've skipped umm let's see...

Most of Taris

Tatooine

Most of Balmorra

Belsavis

Lvl 43 (close to 44) and ready to head to Voss and face a bit of a challenge there.

Valor rank is only 15, I do most FPs just once, space combat I only do greys now. The planets I don't skip I tend to be completionist about. I've skipped maybe a couple 4+ heroics and done the bonus quests series where possible (not for the ones I skipped obviously).

So yea, I do feel I gain exp too quickly. That said, it doesn't need to be lowered because skipping content makes that content fresh for my smuggler alt. On that one I've pvped less and done no space combat and have no trouble at all keeping up with the story lvl by skipping planets like Coruscant, nar Shaddaa and Alderaan so far. Lvl 30 and ready for Balmorra.

Call me crazy, call me an EQ douchebag (I never actually played EQ), but I like my games to offer me some challenge (yes I know, CRAAAAZY concept). That means I do not want to outlvl quests and when I do I skip them.

This clashes with my wish to be completionist, but oh well, can't have it all.

How about an option to turn space combat and warzone exp off? I like both but I don't like getting exp from them.

are you kidding me its going to take me about amonth to get lvl 50 easy and I am playing about 6 hours a day, not everyone can do that. just becuase people play 16-20 hours a day skip all dialogue and rush doenst when its slow leveling, I like the current leveling.

No.

If anything, make leveling alts faster, cause re doing all the side quests is just awful. The first or one of the first legacy functions they should implement should be sprint since lvl 1 and mount at 10-15 if you have a lvl 50 char, and then possibly faster xp too.

"Casual" is getting thrown around as a negative far too harshly in this post and I feel the need to explain clearly why "casual" is not the reason you're feeling upset and also probably help you realize WHY you're upset even if you don't fully know it.

For everyone who believes this and other MMOs are "dumbed down" to such an extent I don't believe you have really experienced the depth of what many of these MMOs have to offer in terms of what they refer to as their "hard mode" difficulties. WoW has some of the most difficult fights in modern gaming and top end operation guilds in ToR place the difficulty of the current raids on par with WoW, RIFT, and similar AAA mmos.

Games aren't getting easier they are just difficult in a way some of you may not be used to. The difficulty of MMOs now is NOT in the leveling process as it once was back in the days of DaOC or EQ. There was a time when a game could ask people to spend a year leveling 1-50 (DAoC) but back then there was NO competition in the MMO industry and your character in those times was pretty much a life-alternative.

The difficulty of games back in those days was not even really in actual execution of the game or even playing it but how much time you had to devote to it. Yes, you had buttons to push, yes you had neat moves you had to cast and everyone had their own role to play, but if you go back and look at the quoted mechanics for content back then and now the pace is completely different. Seriously, go back and look at the fight mechanics for old MMO PvE "Boss" content and compare that to MMOs now. Hell, even look at the difference is mechanics of "trash" mobs now and "farm content" back then. Most of the changes to MMOs came in the feel of the enemies you fought and how you fought them. Back in those days you required groups to take down similar level enemies and now we take on 5-8 enemies at once as an individual.

Is it harder back then or now? Well, the hard part back then was getting the group together, getting your arrows and making sure everything was set up, getting to your farming zone, and it SEEMED more complex because 5 people needed to do different moves, but really, your job was really small compared to what you have to do now as an individual. Back then you might have only needed to pull and dps, or even just dps and nothing else, but most of the time no matter what your job your moves were mostly performing standing still, or getting to your position and standing still, the fights were not very mobile or variable. Furthermore you had a specific person to CC and a specific person to heal and tank. Now while leveling we have to pull, CC, heal, and tank all on our own, during instanced content in groups we STILL have to CC, interrupt, and remain very mobile.

So the majority of people don't like standing at a spawn point for a rare spawn for hours. So the majority of the playerbase now doesn't find it fun to grand a spawn of purple mobs in a random grass field just to level. Is that really such a bad thing? I wouldn't blame the playerbase because they don't want to do something so mundane for such an extended period of time, that's ridiculous and its amazing games survived that long WHILE doing that, but also back then games were based around immersion and community while games now cost too much to create and operate that attracting JUST the people who want a new life immersion wouldn't cover the cost of maintenance let alone updates.

Not to be totally rude but if you started playing this game after a long stint away from EQ or DAoC and are upset with how easy the game is to level then maybe you don't understand the way MMOs have changed over the years.

When I started playing this game I became once again nostalgic to the old feel of MMOs the same as many of you, but soon I realized that many of the things WoW and RIFT have put into place have been put into place for a VERY GOOD REASON. It is to try to find that balance between ease of access and immerssion and rarely will it meet the standards of a player completely ESPECIALLY when there are so many other MMOs that have built so many different ways for their player base.

There needs to be a balance between immersion and easy of access and I feel ToR did a fairly decent job at this in many ways for how they wanted their game to feel. However, some things (such as dual spec) I'm shocked to find people against at all, but they exist, and as much as I may not like a part of the system they have in place, its put in place for a reason and that's the way THIS GAME is and I will weigh how important this option is to me in a game. If I feel some of the luxuries of other MMOs are more important to me than some of the unique things ToR brings then I will eventually leave ToR and thats not to say ToR is NOT a good game, it just might not be my flavor and I wouldn't INSULT anyone for liking it.

My final point rings back to my original point. MMOs are not what they used to be, they are more games now than they ever have been before and will be more like games in the future than they are now, it is just the nature of the beast. You CANNOT blame casual players for the trend of MMOs, it is truly a great loss in some cases for sense of immersion but in many cases if we did not lose some of the "alternative life" feel then we would not have attracted the playerbase necessary to generate revenue for future games to be built.

MMOs have not gotten easier, they have become more accessible. The difficulty is still there and if you want to really attain it you can apply to some of the guilds that are reaching for those marks. The guilds that ARE reaching those marks are also not the ones on here saying "the game is too easy" or "there's nothing to do in the end game", they are the ones testing the mettle of some of the hardest content games have yet to put in front of players and when I see some of the videos of these fights, its more work than I am willing to put into it, so I wish them luck.

SWTOR has a lot of story and also a lot of other fun things to do. I don't think anyone wants the grind type of leveling seen in the earlier days of MMOs, but they want the opportunity to experience the game (the whole game) at the level of challenge intended.

What if you were playing a single player game, say Skyrim, and at one point the whole game suddenly became very un-challenging to play (I think this actually happened to some). What if this happened because you had stayed too long in a certain area because you liked it so much, and there was a lot of things to do and see there?

This is essentially what happens in SWTOR, you have too much fun and then suddenly the XP mechanic of the game tells you that you should have moved on ages ago if you were to still experience the intended level of challenge.

So I will say that I acknowledge your thoughts on earlier MMOs, but grind and challenge is not (necessarily) the same thing.

Edited by Shagma

this would be a bad idea. the pacing of the quests is spot on imo and rewards you with just enough exp. slowing down exp is a horrible idea. add to that, we dont really know what all these legacy levels are going to be doing in the future, it would seem that jumping to conclusions is not warranted.

Just because you and your wife are obviously PLAYING too much doesn't mean you should effect everyone else. I have a full time job, go to the gym, and try to spend some time with the GF when i can (GF Aggro)

Been playing since that Friday of Pre release and i'm only level 33. < the amount of time I can spend in the game basically nets me about ONE LEVEL A DAY at this point.. I logged on last night and gained ONE LEVEL... at this rate it will take me awhile still to hit 50...

If you make this even slower you're going to piss off people like me who actually have a life and can't put down more then 4 hours a day into this.

No way. It's going way too slow imo. If anything I think XP needs a boost, at least in PvP and flashpoints. I should be able to substitute PvP or flashpoints for side quests, and currently you really can't. It's much slower. Edited by Ashanor

When you reach LvL 45+ you will delete this post trust me.... Ive found myself scrounging for XP, Its vbery easy to miss Quest outposts on the higher levels and there is alot of running back and forth to do just 1 quest at a time.

Also Leveling your Level specifically isnt the fun value of the game its the story and you can continue doing the story at Max level.

Your argument is flawed because an LvL Rank apparently to you dictates your enjoyment, Also your assuming once you hit lvl 50 you are forced to not continue playing the storyline and or questings which is incorrect.

if you want to complain and moun over anything you shouldnt be whinning over the XP gain you should be crying over them adding in more content.

Look at Guildwars 1 you hit max level (20) in only 10Hrs but after you hit Max level there is still over 200Hrs of content and story line to continue....

I dont think your really thought this thread through. its very subjective and holds no merit.

I agree wit hthe OP. Before anyone even thinks of calling foul; I come from THE original grind fest mmo Everquest. Played it from oct 2000 until las year in fact, and I must say the XP gain in SWTOR is a bit fast. It doesnt come from the mobs, its the absurd amount of xp you gain from quests and the ship missions. I also see this is where mmos have been heading for years. EQ2 was much faster, wow fast rather fast based xp also, yet TOR seems too fast. I think lowering the xp gain from quests should equalize it a bit.

You might get a total of 1200 xp from killing say 4 mobs on HOTh, and get 10k from the quest, even if you factor in discovery xp, you might get say 2600 xp from exploring+killing, and still 12k from the quest itself.

Quest completion is a bit high on xp rewards imho.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.