Taugrim's Guide to Bounty Hunter Powertech Mechanics and PVP

taugrimtaugrim

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Taugrim,

First of all thank you for the work and guides to the PT AC. Now quick question and I know you have somewhat answered this before, but just so that I can some piece I like to ask and hopefully get an answer from you.

Would going with the supercommando set for pvp tank really up my survibality alot, and if so would my dmg output go done alot? I ask because I'm guilds main Ops tank and since their is no dual spec I have been doing warzones as full shieldteck with a 32/7/2 build. Currently I have full champion dps with supercommando MH and OH. Now I have 19k health stimmed and 52% mitigation and I feel pretty tanky sometimes with proper heals of course. With my current set its not uncommon for me to get 280k dmg sometimes I break 300k but I also usually get around 100k protection points.

Now I just hit BM and wanted to know if I should stick to my setup of dps gear in a tank spec or start picking up supercommando pieces. Anyways thank you, just wanted some advise from you.

Would going with the supercommando set for pvp tank really up my survibality alot, and if so would my dmg output go done alot? I ask because I'm guilds main Ops tank and since their is no dual spec I have been doing warzones as full shieldteck with a 32/7/2 build. Currently I have full champion dps with supercommando MH and OH. Now I have 19k health stimmed and 52% mitigation and I feel pretty tanky sometimes with proper heals of course. With my current set its not uncommon for me to get 280k dmg sometimes I break 300k but I also usually get around 100k protection points.

Now I just hit BM and wanted to know if I should stick to my setup of dps gear in a tank spec or start picking up supercommando pieces. Anyways thank you, just wanted some advise from you.

Just added a decision tree to my Guide as I get asked this question a lot:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#pvp-gear

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know exactly how the 4-piece tanking set bonus work? Is it 5% dmg bonus whenever you have Guard on a player (even if he is in the other end of the WZ), only if he is within casting range of guard (30m), or only if he is within "share the damage range" (15m) of Guard?

Also, regarding Guard: When damage is tranferred to you from your guarded teammate, does it keep the original attack and damage types? Meaning, does defense/shield and armor work just as good/bad as if you had been the original target yourself? Or is armor and shield/defense always/never working on damage you take through Guard?

Thanks - keep up the informative posts and guides. :-)

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know exactly how the 4-piece tanking set bonus work? Is it 5% dmg bonus whenever you have Guard on a player (even if he is in the other end of the WZ), only if he is within casting range of guard (30m), or only if he is within "share the damage range" (15m) of Guard?

The set bonus works even if the Guarded target is outside 15m. Some people on my blog tested and confirmed this.

Also, regarding Guard: When damage is tranferred to you from your guarded teammate, does it keep the original attack and damage types? Meaning, does defense/shield and armor work just as good/bad as if you had been the original target yourself? Or is armor and shield/defense always/never working on damage you take through Guard?

This is on my To Do List to test, just need to grab a few folks and head out to Outlaw's Den to test.

Or find an Empire willing to test with us in Ilum.

Just added a decision tree to my Guide as I get asked this question a lot:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#pvp-gear

Taugrim: you mention that if you have 18 points plus in pyro that supercommando is useful: "Use 4-pc Supercommando for the two useful set bonuses and replace the tank mods with DPS mods – note the associated cost for extracting mods"

I take it you mean this only in the case of carolina parakeete since the 2 set bonus is for jet charge and the 4 set is if you have tanking stance (5%+ damage in case of guard). I have said it before, thanks for your work!

Taugrim: you mention that if you have 18 points plus in pyro that supercommando is useful: "Use 4-pc Supercommando for the two useful set bonuses and replace the tank mods with DPS mods – note the associated cost for extracting mods"

I take it you mean this only in the case of carolina parakeete since the 2 set bonus is for jet charge and the 4 set is if you have tanking stance (5%+ damage in case of guard). I have said it before, thanks for your work!

Correct.

I updated that section to be more clear. Thanks for the feedback!

How limited is the mobility in the Full DPS (4/6/31) Thanks.

You don't have any of the following:

• charge
  • in-combat sprint
  • passive run speed buff

That said, you can keep a target chain snared (until you max out on Heat) by using Flame Burst.

If you're going to go with the hybrid spec(0/23/18) which tree would be better to start out in? I do plan on pvping as I level up as well.

Get to 18 in Pyrotech first, then take the points in Advanced Proto.

Hi Taugrim,

Is the Run & Gun (1/22/18) more mobile than the Full DPS? I'm looking for good DPS & mobility. Thanks and keep up the good work.

They're both good specs.

Asking which is better is kind of like asking which is better, apples or oranges.

The majority of people on the PT and VG forums would probably say 4/6/31, since the community in this game tends to value damage over utility.

But there are skilled players such as Oozo the Vanguard who advocate the mobility and control over raw DPS.

They're both good specs.

Asking which is better is kind of like asking which is better, apples or oranges.

The majority of people on the PT and VG forums would probably say 4/6/31, since the community in this game tends to value damage over utility.

But there are skilled players such as Oozo the Vanguard who advocate the mobility and control over raw DPS.

I actually asked which is more mobile and I got my answer.

Thanks

Hi,

For the (0/23/18) I'm looking for the mobility and DPS and I was wondering is the loss of Jet Charge significant in PvP that I am going to regret not having it? I enjoy both the Tank and DPS roles.

Thanks

Take your pick.

Do you want an in-combat sprint for 8s that provides full root/snare/physics immunity, usable every 30s?

Or do you want a gap closer every 15s that interrupts and applies a 3-sec root?

They're both good IMO.

How does the Retractable Blade Fare in Iron Fist for PvP compared to the fire attacks in the Carolina Parakeet build?

Thanks

Different mechanics.

Incendiary is a ranged 30m DoT with Elemental damage. RB's DoT deals Internal damage, which is a good damage type but doesn't synergize as well with that several Fire/Elemental-based talents we have.

That being said, RB is still useful for DoT'ing up opponents to prevent a cap after you die, and against targets with higher Armor.