Taugrim's Guide to Bounty Hunter Powertech Mechanics and PVP

taugrimtaugrim

Hi Taugrim,

I'm interested in tanking and leveling as well as PvP around L14 and would like to know is Carolina Parakeet the right build for me or do you advise a different build? Also what are the pros & cons of Powertech vs Mercenary? I read your points on your blog but if you would explain the pro & cons more it'd be good.

"You want to tank in PVE and in PVP. By tanking in PVP, I mean that you want to be able to Guard a friendly target, which redirects 50% of the incoming damage from them to you, and be able to Taunt opponents to debuff their damage on your friendlies

You are comfortable engaging in near-quarters (0-10m) combat

You want to maximize your ability to control casters and healers with interrupts

You want to have tools to close gaps to opponents and to increase your in-combat movement speed

You should roll Mercenary (Commando) if:

You want to be able to meaningfully heal yourself and your friendlies

You want to beef up your 30m RDPS capability

You want the option of playing a cast-time nuking spec, Arsenal (Gunnery)

You prefer to have abilities that keep opponents at range and support a gap-control playstyle (e.g. kiting) with CC"

Thanks

Edited by Talon_Starfire

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are we stickying some guy who's not actually a powertech. And is it hard to be a powertech? Lets see him write a sentinel guide and then I still wouldn't want him stickied on marauder.

They're mirror classes. I played Powertech to 29 on live. They're the same class, same talents, with minor difference in looks and animations.

At any rate, at level 29 on my Powertech I understood what you don't grasp about Pyrotech at 36: the critical mechanics around Rail Shot.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Why are we stickying some guy who's not actually a powertech. And is it hard to be a powertech? Lets see him write a sentinel guide and then I still wouldn't want him stickied on marauder.

Yes it's horrible to have a single post to reference when someone comes in and asks for the millionth time (may or may not be exaggerating) the same questions regarding different specs, shield mechanics in pvp, rotations etc...

It's especially terrible that vids are included actually showing performance and providing useful tips for pvping in general.

Hrm I'm dangerously close to my sarcasm allotment for the day.

Please don't take this personally, because I respect the work you put into this guide, but I strongly disagree with your assessment that Integrated Cardio should be taken for PVE Tanking builds (except for hybrid builds such as 21/2/18).

Two of those points are better spent on Iron Fist, which will greatly assist threat generation when taking into account the talents that boost RP in the ST tree. The third point should either be spent on Prototype Cylinders (which will help IGC procs a little bit, which also benefit from the RP buffs in the ST tree) or on Advanced Tools (if you use FT frequently).

Most of the standard tanking builds utilize Iron Fist over Integrated Cardio because at approximately 20k hp Integrated Cardio only adds 600hp, which isn't really worth giving up an extra 8% threat (via damage on both RP and it's IGC proc) on your primary threat generator.

31/8/2 is considered the standard for the Heat Blast build.

Please don't take this personally, because I respect the work you put into this guide, but I strongly disagree with your assessment that Integrated Cardio should be taken for PVE Tanking builds (except for hybrid builds such as 21/2/18).

Two of those points are better spent on Iron Fist, which will greatly assist threat generation when taking into account the talents that boost RP in the ST tree. The third point should either be spent on Prototype Cylinders (which will help IGC procs a little bit, which also benefit from the RP buffs in the ST tree) or on Advanced Tools (if you use FT frequently).

Most of the standard tanking builds utilize Iron Fist over Integrated Cardio because at approximately 20k hp Integrated Cardio only adds 600hp, which isn't really worth giving up an extra 8% threat (via damage on both RP and it's IGC proc) on your primary threat generator.

31/8/2 is considered the standard for the Heat Blast build.

Interesting feedback.

At this point, I have only tanked HM FPs, and with my PVP tank build since I wanted to see if it's viable and to avoid the respec costs.

I can see putting the two points to buff RP damage by 8% as that is usable frequently with the shield-proc that resets the cooldown.

But the 8% increase to the stance proc seems very minor, considering it's a low-damage proc to begin with.

Do we have threat generation issues without the 2 points in IF and PC?

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Hi,

Is Carolina Parakeet useable in PvE as well as PvP?

Why not Bursting Flame for extra damage instead of Intergrated Cardio Package?

Thanks

Bursting flame only applies if you use Combustible Gas Cylinder, the Parakeet build uses Ion Gas Cylinder in order to hybrid-tank, so those points would be wasted on those talents.

Interesting feedback.

At this point, I have only tanked HM FPs, and with my PVP tank build since I wanted to see if it's viable and to avoid the respec costs.

I can see putting the two points to buff RP damage by 8% as that is usable frequently with the shield-proc that resets the cooldown.

But the 8% increase to the stance proc seems very minor, considering it's a low-damage proc to begin with.

Do we have threat generation issues without the 2 points in IF and PC?

The 8% to the IGC proc isn't a game changer really, I do think it helps a bit when I need to kite bosses with ranged abilities (big red boss in Kaon). It's perfectly viable to place that point in either Advanced Tools for faster FT / Grapple or into 1 point of Integrated Cardio (although I don't think 1% hp is worth a talent point).

There seems to be a bit of a problem with threat generation due to itemization as you make progress, it's not too bad though, mainly due to the poor stats added on the PVE armor set (tons of accuracy for no reason, little surge / crit). This can be mitigated by replacing mods / enhancements, however the market doesn't always cater to doing this (at least it doesn't on Darth Sion).

Threat generation is only an issue really during the first 10-15 seconds of most engagements though, for me at least, and I find that the two points in IF help a lot with this. I know another tank who took the three points in ICP who occasionally gets agro pulled away from DPS'ers without an agro-drop (pyrotech's mostly).

Has anyone ran with TD + steely resolve, something like http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZ0MZfhMbdGhrs.1?. Or move 1 point from steely resolve to puncture.

Is it worth giving up 3% tech crit for 6-9% aim?

With the way you are proposing to go 8/2/31 instead of 4/6/31, you lose

1. 20% Armor pene of Rail Shot, which is the spec-defining ability
  2. 9% crit chance for all your elemental attacks, including CGC DoT, Incendiary Missile, Flame Burst, and Flame Thrower. Prototype Cylinders and Prototype Burn Enhancers stack additively
  3. 3% tech crit chance for all non-elemental attacks

The above points are too much to sacrifice to gain:

1. 2% fire damage
  2. 9% Aim

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Hi

just wanted to say huge thanks for this post I have found it really useful. I have just started a BH level 13 at the moment. I was wondering which tree/abilities should I go for first as I level up. Love the sound of this build but not sure where to start lol.

Sorry if I missed this if it was covered in an earlier post

Per the nerf to Surge Rating in 1.1.3, I've updated the priority for secondary stats accordingly:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/#stats

PVP

• Primary stats: Aim = Endurance, favor one over the other for damage vs time-to-live
  • Secondary stats:
    • Offensive builds (including my “Iron Fist” 25/14/2 tank spec): Expertise > Power = Crit Rating > Surge Rating > Accuracy Rating
    • Max durability builds*: Expertise > Defense Rating = Shield Rating > Power = Crit Rating > Surge Rating > Accuracy Rating

* Please note that due to the limitations for Defense and Shield in PVP, I recommend going with the “Offensive builds” stats instead of the “Max durability builds” stats. YMMV.

I still believe Crit Rating is worth stacking - burst damage kills - but the nerf to Surge Rating does affect the value of Crit Rating since crits deliver smaller magnitude of burst than pre-1.1.3.

For more information, see the link above to the Stats section of the Guide.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Hi

just wanted to say huge thanks for this post I have found it really useful. I have just started a BH level 13 at the moment. I was wondering which tree/abilities should I go for first as I level up. Love the sound of this build but not sure where to start lol.

Sorry if I missed this if it was covered in an earlier post

Any tree is viable for leveling. Choose the one that suits your preferred playstyle.

Thanks to you, I started my 2nd Bounty Hunter after getting m merc to 50. I am playing WZ's only besides class quests and the mixed/hybrid style leveling works fine for me. I hope I can evaluate your Iron Fist Build soon with higher level :)

Keep on sharing your thoughts, I really like your POV and just subbed to your YT-Channel!

Taugrim, excellent content, thanks for sharing. I have a question regarding accuracy vs defense, maybe you can help me.

Please correct me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Let's use simple melee/ranged attacks. From what I understand, attacker accuracy over 100% reduces target defense by the same percentage. That being said, does accuracy push defense "off the table" like critical does to shield?

Now, where I am really stumped, is with miss and dodge. If attacker accuracy is 100% or higher, the attacker cannot miss, but can still be dodged, as long as target defense is not wiped out by the amount of attacker accuracy over 100%.

To me, this actually sounds like a 2 roll system. First roll to see if the attacker misses. If the attacker does not miss, then there is a second roll to see if the target can score a dodge.

Or, is it a table, like crit vs shield? If so, then the table is greater than 100%?

Help!

First roll is against your defense chance. Accuracy over 100 is subtracted from your defense chance. So if someone had 105% accuracy and you had 25% defense the roll would be something like:

0-79 hit

80-100 defense

The second roll is crit versus shield. Which as you correctly note if crit is high enough it can eat into shield. For example 65% crit rate and 40% shield chance = 105% so the roll would be

0-64 crit

65-100 shield

I have a question regarding accuracy vs defense, maybe you can help me.

Or, is it a table, like crit vs shield? If so, then the table is greater than 100%?

Probably a table.

Keep in mind that I quoted Dev Georg Zoeller. He calls it a 2-roll system:

1. Accuracy-vs-Defense

2. Crit-vs-Shield

Parakeet Spec.

Hey guys, just wandering about the Parakeet spec, i run a similar spec to this and was thinking of going the whole hog and trying this one out. My question is, whats your thoughs on putting 3 points in to Puncture for the guaranteed 60% armour reduction and take one out of the Prototype Particle Accelerator.

My reason for this is, PPA is an RNG based talent where as Puncture a is guaranteed increase. With Flame Shield giving a 50% chance on refreshing the cooldown on RP (if you manage to shield any attacks that is) you can probably get a couple of chances of RP's 30% chance, proccing the reset on Rail Shot, plus you have a 20% on Flame Burst proccing the reset as well.

Yes i agree that you will get more of a chance the higher the %, but RNG vs guaranteed, is what i'm thinking. What's your ideas?

Oh and now being a 21/3/17 i suppose i'd have to change the name to something like WW1 the first Offensive :)

Hey guys, just wandering about the Parakeet spec, i run a similar spec to this and was thinking of going the whole hog and trying this one out. My question is, whats your thoughs on putting 3 points in to Puncture for the guaranteed 60% armour reduction and take one out of the Prototype Particle Accelerator.

My reason for this is, PPA is an RNG based talent where as Puncture a is guaranteed increase. With Flame Shield giving a 50% chance on refreshing the cooldown on RP (if you manage to shield any attacks that is) you can probably get a couple of chances of RP's 30% chance, proccing the reset on Rail Shot, plus you have a 20% on Flame Burst proccing the reset as well.

Yes i agree that you will get more of a chance the higher the %, but RNG vs guaranteed, is what i'm thinking. What's your ideas?

Oh and now being a 21/3/17 i suppose i'd have to change the name to something like WW1 the first Offensive :)

I've thought about doing what you suggested above for the same reasons, but I didn't get around to trying it.

With 2/3 in PPA you're basically reducing the proc rate of the cooldown reset for RS by 33%, but that is as you pointed out partially addressed by the proc reset for RP.