What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

SlyJeff

Drop crafting materials, orange armor schematics and mod schematics from raid bosses, that way crafted gear becomes a important part of the game. That way the "best" stats will still come from raiding, but it's not just "purple" drops. Edited by Tirani

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if only mods were dropped in raids (and only the best PvE mods) to enable raid progression?

The same could be done with PvP mods for PvP effort, and the best looking orange gear could be purchased with commendations (no mods). Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Seems to me that would allow people to play as casually or hard core as they want, or somewhere in the middle.

I like this idea, get some orange gear that you already liked and in order to have best stats go to raids and get the mods, interesting....

I wouldn't have to wear something I didn't like the look of to just have stats, have to admit some of the gear I have seen is pretty fugly

Edited by L_Starbreeze

Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.

The first thing my guild raided in Cataclysm was the Whale Shark.

I absolutely love this idea. The thing that has bothered me about all of these games since the beginning of time is how they handle gear -- who the fudge runs around with sixteen chest pieces of full plate (or synth steel) armor in their backpack?

I'm not saying that part should change, but I'm much more in favor of players crafting their own orange gear, and the raid bosses dropping mods (and PvP of course). These mods could be very hard slotted -- this thing only goes into a head slot, for instance, and they could even have set bonuses that they provide and thus we can focus on getting the orange gear.

Now I'm not a PvPer.... but I have read, and this point I can understand, that cosmetic stuff is switched off during PvP so that you can see what type of armor someone is actually wearing. I understand and respect this viewpoint. I'm not sure if this makes this approach unviable for the PvPers, but for the PvEers it would work wonders.

Seems to be pretty positive feedback for this- I hadn't thought of how this in terms of craftable oranges, but I see how it would be a nice intersection between sandbox and theme park play.

I think the mod system is really cool, I just would like to see it taken advantage of.

if not mistaken was like this during beta at one point and was some crying about no new gear and how gear itself ment nothing ect ect. Personally is way should have been all gear made modable and everyone just got mod.

Raids are only a challenge till they are beaten, this usually doesn't take long with a determined guild.

Once the chellenge is gone it's simply a matter of gearing up for the next challenge. If the game lacks the content and there is no more content to gear up for - people stop raiding / playing the game till next expansion.

That gear can come in whatever form the game wants - mods, commendations or items. It doesn't really matter.

Once the chellenge is gone it's simply a matter of gearing up for the next challenge. If the game lacks the content and there is no more content to gear up for - people stop raiding / playing the game till next expansion.

Which is the biggest flaw of the theme park raid model. Honestly, I don't much think of theme parks as mmos, but more as single player games with an online raid boss component. Not much different than an online FPS. Obviously, that is an exaggeration, but not too much of one.

Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.

Question: What if crafting yielded no gear that could be equipped?

Answer: Crafters would quit if they were forced to do anything that presented any form of challenge at all for gear. Exposing them for what they are: Cheaters who expect developers to change the rules so they don't have to break them while still avoiding anything difficult.

Raids are only a challenge till they are beaten, this usually doesn't take long with a determined guild.

That gear can come in whatever form the game wants - mods, commendations or items. It doesn't really matter.

Yes, which is why it is better if there is only one path for stat upgrades for beating raids- with multiple ways to earn the same gear, people get the gear faster and the content is beaten faster. My proposal is to make raiding a pure stat grind while allowing everyone to take part in wearing cool looking gear by allowing multiple paths to the cool looking gear. If it was craft able, as has been suggested, then it's all about earning credits and trading for the best looking gear. But that aspect of the game can be totally separated from the stat grind that keeps the raids going.

So your idea is to make raiders put in twice the amount of time they do now, which is already more than everyone else?

Not only do they need to raid to get the mods in order to progress, they also have to do all the other content to get the orange items aswell - which is almost certainly going to be easier. Not only that, but you suggest that it should require a "metric ton of commendations" thus making it a huge grind aswell.

It's quite clear that this was suggested by someone that doesn't raid.

So your idea is to make raiders put in twice the amount of time they do now, which is already more than everyone else?

Not only do they need to raid to get the mods in order to progress, they also have to do all the other content to get the orange items aswell - which is almost certainly going to be easier. Not only that, but you suggest that it should require a "metric ton of commendations" thus making it a huge grind aswell.

It's quite clear that this was suggested by someone that doesn't raid.

I haven't raided in is game yet, no. But I assume you get commendations as drops from bosses in the raids?

I raided for about a year a couple of years back- never with pugs, but certainly not hard core. I respect the hard core raiders, though. My thought was not to increase the work at all for raiders, but to address the problem (as I see it) that getting raid ready gear from non raid sources causes.

Edited by SlyJeff

If you want raid gear then just raid! You get the loot and get to experience more content, win/win. It only takes 8 people, not hard to organize even at the last minute (also it can be easily completed in level 50 blues and greens, or farm PvP for easy purpz).

It wouldn't bother me at all.

I'm usually happiest if raiding has the least effect on the game, and believe me...regardless of what they say, if raids didn't give the best stuff, no one would go through the mostly unfun process of being in a hardcore raiding guild.

I spent 5 years in a top raiding guild in my first mmo (EQ) and loved it, but find myself doing less and less raiding each new game I play. The raiding people now tend to be ... well, not so nice..actually kinda gear-obsessed and really hard on each other.....and my favorite raid function was always puller and that just isn't part of these games anymore. I still enjoy tanking, but today's tanks have to work so hard at holding agro and gear is just so overly important to a tank that they are just too much work as an everyday thing.

Personally, I think everything should be attainable by a decent pug (pick-up group) where everyone is paying attention. "Practicing" should be saved for sports.

....and the less resources they spend on the very low percentage of never-happy hardcore players is more they can spend on everyone.

Edited by anwar

If you want raid gear then just raid! You get the loot and get to experience more content, win/win. It only takes 8 people, not hard to organize even at the last minute (also it can be easily completed in level 50 blues and greens, or farm PvP for easy purpz).

Yes, and the easy availability of such gear isn't a good thing, IMO. Everyone wants the shiny, so BW makes it available too easy, and raid progression becomes too easy.

I do not want to hit 50 and be decked out in a full set of awesome gear within a couple of weeks. I'd rather work for it and have it mean something. And if I move forward to the next raid, I want it to be because my team has progressed and earned the right to be there.

A coupla things about raids.....

Devs spend a huge amount of resources making the raids detailed and impressive...and the first thing everyone does is turn down everything so the lag is bearable. Go figure.

(Not talking about the extreme hardcore) Games have changed...now solo and duo are almost all of the game to top level...therefore solo and duo type players are the majority that happily stick with the game to top level, usually taking a few months.....so why is it that raid or die always becomes the new game offered at level cap?

Seems that if the majority obviously liked solo and duo (with a few groups thrown in) for months, perhaps the same style of play should be emphasized as the major avenue for progression at level cap.

Just sayin'

Edited by anwar

Good idea, I think. It's kinda lame that oranges are useless at level 50, especially given most of the level 50 gear is hideous. All of the Sith Inquisitor gear is just horrible looking, IMHO. Edited by Putok