What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

SlyJeff

I think that's a really good idea, something that i don't think has ever been done before and sounds rather appealing. Having the stats you want drop in the form of mods, enhancements and other sloted items. But the "gear" and the look of the items be from vendors and crafters. That would be an awesome combination of something like Eve and WoW, where you're grinding for stats, but the economy is more in the hands of players.

i approve +1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coupla things about raids.....

Devs spend a huge amount of resources making the raids detailed and impressive...and the first thing everyone does is turn down everything so the lag is bearable. Go figure.

(Not talking about the extreme hardcore) Games have changed...now solo and duo are almost all of the game to top level...therefore solo and duo type players are the majority that happily stick with the game to top level, usually taking a few months.....so why is it that raid or die always becomes the new game offered at level cap?

Seems that if the majority obviously liked solo and duo (with a few groups thrown in) for months, perhaps the same style of play should be emphasized as the major avenue for progression at level cap.

Just sayin'

Yes, I do wish there was something more for solo/duo type players at endgame too, aside from dailies. Gotta be stuff for group type players of course, but schedule and time availability make me solo mostly. When I am lucky, a friend is on when I am too. Not that often though... and usually just 1 friend at the same time. So end game is a bit of a mess for me, and I have been playing much much less recently, and spending more time on another game which is a bit more flexible in this.

I suppose BW will decide what it really needs, but this is something i would like to see. There is group content, but it would be kinda cool if endgame had a little more for solo/duo players too. Just so there would be a wider appeal, something for everyone. Kinda doubt it will happen though.

Yes, I do wish there was something more for solo/duo type players at endgame too, aside from dailies. Gotta be stuff for group type players of course, but schedule and time availability make me solo mostly. When I am lucky, a friend is on when I am too. Not that often though... and usually just 1 friend at the same time. So end game is a bit of a mess for me, and I have been playing much much less recently, and spending more time on another game which is a bit more flexible in this.

I suppose BW will decide what it really needs, but this is something i would like to see. There is group content, but it would be kinda cool if endgame had a little more for solo/duo players too. Just so there would be a wider appeal, something for everyone. Kinda doubt it will happen though.

If they don't then the solo people will leave after they do the stories, makes little sense to me if they go that route.

If they don't then the solo people will leave after they do the stories, makes little sense to me if they go that route.

Yes I rather feel the same way.

Might be cool if a friendly, non-hardcore guild did HM FPs, but PUGs I abandoned a long time ago as no fun. Might induce me to do FPs. Operations are not my thing. Friend is in a guild, really nice people, but hard core Ops only.

Also I am not a pvp player ( which many ppl have suggested I do; i have zero interest in it), so I am finding less to do here really. To each his own, some ppl love how things are, I feel a bit at a loss. I hope the path in Makeb is not gonna be restrictive for a solo player, as to aquiring gear for it.

Time will tell if I stay or go.

Personally I would like to see all the cool gear only available from crafters and then you get the mods from bosses in OPs. This way we get rewards from downing bosses, and crafting becomes worthwhile.

This all the way! adds value for crafters alongside continuing rewards for the raid itself, cant see a downside.

what is the point of raiding for gear and only for gear? I genuinely don't understand btw, because to me - gear is means to an end, not the end. gear is there, to make encounters smoother, give more room for error. but the fun is in getting encounters down, that's the goal for me. so.. what is the point of gear as a primary goal?

Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.

Serious or competitive raiders don't raid to get gear, they gear so they can raid... Most casual players don't understand that.

Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Am I misreading this or are you suggesting that the best-looking gear in the game is the end-game gear? Most of the chatter usually seems to be people think the end-game gear looks bad and they wouldn't wear it if it weren't for the set bonuses....although you can get around the set bonuses since they started tying the bonuses to the mods instead of armor for newer end-game gear.

what is the point of raiding for gear and only for gear? I genuinely don't understand btw, because to me - gear is means to an end, not the end. gear is there, to make encounters smoother, give more room for error. but the fun is in getting encounters down, that's the goal for me. so.. what is the point of gear as a primary goal?

Most of my gear I get from raids go towards alts via Legacy gear, yes it means at some point ill be really bored and all full up on gear.. but until that day.. meh

What if only mods were dropped in raids (and only the best PvE mods) to enable raid progression?

The same could be done with PvP mods for PvP effort, and the best looking orange gear could be purchased with commendations (no mods). Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Seems to me that would allow people to play as casually or hard core as they want, or somewhere in the middle.

Fine by me, if raid bosses start dropping decent amount of commendations along :p (same goes for PvP rewards adding a decent amount of commendations). As I despise doing dailies for the commendations.

Personally I would like to see all the cool gear only available from crafters and then you get the mods from bosses in OPs. This way we get rewards from downing bosses, and crafting becomes worthwhile.

It already is this way for the most part, only thing is CM took the place of crafters, for obvious reasons.

Cos of bad itemization people running raids minmax mods as is & mostly use orange gear cos raid gear looks bad.

Typical drop conversation isn't "-Who needs these boots? -Give me teh purplez!" but "-Who are the mods in this peice an upgrade for? It's crap for X spec btw, wrong armoring, wrong mod, but enhancement is good." - I got 63 mod but could use the enhancement!"

Edited by aeterno

Very little cool gear drops in Ops now that BH and Dread Guard no longer has set bonuses, my Guardian is in full BH now and the only piece of black hole gear worn is the headpiece (which is turned off). My Trooper wears the BH helmet because I like it. My Gunslinger has the Jedi Sabreist chestpiece with BH mods installed.

So in fact the situation the OP was asking for is already in the game for many people.

/thread.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

What if only mods were dropped in raids (and only the best PvE mods) to enable raid progression?

The same could be done with PvP mods for PvP effort, and the best looking orange gear could be purchased with commendations (no mods). Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Seems to me that would allow people to play as casually or hard core as they want, or somewhere in the middle.

I've always been a hug advocate of pvp rewards being strictly separated, into shell, armor, mod and enhancement, pvp gearing would be so much more fun and make for some unique builds. Bioware has a gem of a system right in front of its face but I'm sure there's some weirdo reason for not doing it.

Can you tell I despise the entire raid mechanic in MMOs and wish it would die screaming in a fire? :D

The single best feature of City of Heroes (A game I played for almost nearly 5 years with a great many innovative ideas, even if it wasn't the best game ever) was that end game gear could drop from anything of endgame level, so you could do what you want and still get the rewards you want.

It was no surprise about a year after they moved away from that (Towards a raid progression type system) the game folded (They also ruined their 2nd best feature at the same time which was sidekicking).

Serious or competitive raiders don't raid to get gear, they gear so they can raid... Most casual players don't understand that.

If that was the case then raids would never have developed to drop increasing gear levels as the raid would have been the reward and they could have stopped gear inflation so that anyone could join any raid at any time.

The first raid drops gear to open up the second raid because raiders were not satisfied with just having a challenge, they also wanted a reward. They also wanted something to stop people catching them up, so gear + weekly lockouts means that those on the top of the curve will never be caught. Very poor design just to shut up those who complain the most.

Not into paying a hundred million credits for my items (which is what will happen the second player crafters are granted a monopoly on all necessary items.

I play this game for fun, not to support some person living his tycoon dreams vicariously through a video game.

Not into paying a hundred million credits for my items (which is what will happen the second player crafters are granted a monopoly on all necessary items.

I play this game for fun, not to support some person living his tycoon dreams vicariously through a video game.

why monopoly? and who said they were necessary? how is this different from what's already happening now with non raiding orange armor shells?

all it would do is give crafters more options to sell and keep more crewskills viable in end game.

Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.

ROFL!!! No kidding. Usually they get outed whenever the suggestion is made about crafting gear being on par with raid gear.