Lightsabers

TheHauntingBard

Personally I find them well, dull.

Up to level 50 I'm pretty much use the same looking weapon.

I know its a part of the lore and that at start it's epic but well it never changes.

My off hand is invisible as well.

I can pick a few different colours and the hilt slightly changes, but that's it.

Let's say one year further a few operations further and you will still be wielding the same saber.

How do other people look at it, do you like that or perhaps a bit more variation would have been appreciated.

I honestly see no issue with the lightsabers, I mean come on, they are freaking lightsabers lol.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure the casters have no interest in weilding something else. Speak for yourself.

Is therein game a curved Light Saber handle like Bane had? If yew then what is the name and how to get it?

There are curved sabers. Don't know where you get them though.

Lightsaber style/stances would go a long way to helping out with that. Reverse grip, two-handed grip, a crossbow that shoots lightsabers. (okay that last one I made up). Though honestly if I were Bioware I would keep those as something you purchase through a microtransaction. Make bank on it.

Personally I find them well, dull.

Up to level 50 I'm pretty much use the same looking weapon.

I know its a part of the lore and that at start it's epic but well it never changes.

My off hand is invisible as well.

I can pick a few different colours and the hilt slightly changes, but that's it.

Let's say one year further a few operations further and you will still be wielding the same saber.

How do other people look at it, do you like that or perhaps a bit more variation would have been appreciated.

I'm sorry but: ITS A LIGHTSABRE, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK IT WOULD LOOK LIKE?

If they start doing weird things with lightsabres, I think that will jsut confirm that they have no integrity. Besides you think the licence from LUCAS would allow it?

Edited by Cameirus

OP -- You need to compile a list of your complaints into one thread. I've been seeing you and a select few others crying it up all over the forums.

People complain about everything these days.

"WoW has this and that, why doesn't TOR?"

"This game needs to be f2p!"

"Why are the colors of my lightsaber so limited?"

--->Inserting your whine here<---

"This game is bleeding subs and will fail!"

"Where is my endgame content, it's been 3 weeks now waaaaaaagh!"

"Where is my x-server LFD tool? I wants it now!"

"SWTOR software is causing my hardware to explode, melt, and vaporize!"

"I want..."

"I need..."

"This game doesn't..."

"Why can't we..."

"Aw, this sucks!"

"I'm cancelling my sub because..."

Why do I come to these forums? To find out things about the game. And yes, I can take the bad news along with the good news. But the sheer volume of whining over the smallest things is killing it for me. Here's my whine. "I'm not coming back to these forums until BioWare starts sending e-tissues to posters who repeatedly whine about the smallest of things. Especially those who don't read stickies or patch notes!"

And yes, I'm whining about whiners. I'm crying about crybabies. But if you are like me, someone who is A) willing to give the developer time to add content/fix things, and B) enjoying the gaming experience in some way, shape, or form; then can you honestly say that you are not tired of all of the petty gripes on these forums? I'm tired of them. This thread is a perfect example of what I'm referring to. Quit it.

I'm sorry but: ITS A LIGHTSABRE, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK IT WOULD LOOK LIKE?

If they start doing weird things with lightsabres, I think that will jsut confirm that they have no integrity. Besides you think the licence from LUCAS would allow it?

Read the whole thread, some one gave nice examples of weapons that are used in the SW universe.

Basically lightsabers in different forms.

So yes you can expect that from SW.

OP -- You need to compile a list of your complaints into one thread. I've been seeing you and a select few others crying it up all over the forums.

Please stop trolling.

I'm asking a normal question here, keep the fanboy comments out of it.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

People complain about everything these days.

"WoW has this and that, why doesn't TOR?"

"This game needs to be f2p!"

"Why are the colors of my lightsaber so limited?"

--->Inserting your whine here<---

"This game is bleeding subs and will fail!"

"Where is my endgame content, it's been 3 weeks now waaaaaaagh!"

"Where is my x-server LFD tool? I wants it now!"

"SWTOR software is causing my hardware to explode, melt, and vaporize!"

"I want..."

"I need..."

"This game doesn't..."

"Why can't we..."

"Aw, this sucks!"

"I'm cancelling my sub because..."

Why do I come to these forums? To find out things about the game. And yes, I can take the bad news along with the good news. But the sheer volume of whining over the smallest things is killing it for me. Here's my whine. "I'm not coming back to these forums until BioWare starts sending e-tissues to posters who repeatedly whine about the smallest of things. Especially those who don't read stickies or patch notes!"

And yes, I'm whining about whiners. I'm crying about crybabies. But if you are like me, someone who is A) willing to give the developer time to add content/fix things, and B) enjoying the gaming experience in some way, shape, or form; then can you honestly say that you are not tired of all of the petty gripes on these forums? I'm tired of them. This thread is a perfect example of what I'm referring to. Quit it.

I fail to see how the OP was whining or crying. This looks like the wrong thread to explode on. Asking the opinions of others about light saber types is perfectly reasonable, and if we would like them in the game. I didn't see any off base demands, threats of canceling or some other game has it why don't we? in his post.

Now back on topic, I hope down the road other types are added in, it would mix things up some and stop most from looking the same, they could even add in different crystal types, like unstable crystals (less focused and fuzzy), this would be something in addition to the saber types I listed above that could mix things up alittle.

That's the question could they have done more with it, changed the lore slightly or introduced different kind of weapons that still used the same light?

No, they can't change the lore without an OK from Lucasarts. And if you think Lucasarts is open to changing lightsaber lore, you're really not thinking this through.

The lightsaber is by far one of the single most popular draws of this game.

You are definitely in the minority in terms of finding them 'meh.' This game is pretty much keying on the fact that people dig lightsabers.

This isn't a debate worth having once you really jump feet first into the pool. It's Star Wars. They're lightsabers. The best you can get is force users can use a ton of other options like vibroblades and bioware can go nuts making a lot of different styles for those.

But the lightsaber is tied into the lore and they're not even allowed to mess with that.

No, they can't change the lore without an OK from Lucasarts. And if you think Lucasarts is open to changing lightsaber lore, you're really not thinking this through.

The lightsaber is by far one of the single most popular draws of this game.

You are definitely in the minority in terms of finding them 'meh.' This game is pretty much keying on the fact that people dig lightsabers.

This isn't a debate worth having once you really jump feet first into the pool. It's Star Wars. They're lightsabers. The best you can get is force users can use a ton of other options like vibroblades and bioware can go nuts making a lot of different styles for those.

But the lightsaber is tied into the lore and they're not even allowed to mess with that.

To repeat a post of AcidZero that explained it to me.

According to him it's a part of the SW lore.

But well maybe people think SW=Lightsaber and they stick to that nvm the rest of the lore.

Still his post seems very interesting,makes me wonder why they sticked with normal sabers.

t would be quite easy to add in more light saber types, there were numerous different kinds aside from just your basic saber that we all have, or the dual blade saber shadow/assassin have. Well Easy and stay with in the lore, below is a list of weapons that are all in SW lore.

Great Sabers

Saber pikes

Light whips (yes the night sisters used these, a long with a few others)

Guard Shoto

San-Ni Staff

Cross guard Saber

Dual Phase saber (these held 2 crystals)

Dueling Saber (just a slight hilt change though)

Long Handle saber (again mostly hilt change for the game, but they were designed to easily be one or two handed when wielded)

Wan-Shen

To repeat a post of AcidZero that explained it to me.

According to him it's a part of the SW lore.

But well maybe people think SW=Lightsaber and they stick to that nvm the rest of the lore.

Still his post seems very interesting,makes me wonder why they sticked with normal sabers.

t would be quite easy to add in more light saber types, there were numerous different kinds aside from just your basic saber that we all have, or the dual blade saber shadow/assassin have. Well Easy and stay with in the lore, below is a list of weapons that are all in SW lore.

Great Sabers

Saber pikes

Light whips (yes the night sisters used these, a long with a few others)

Guard Shoto

San-Ni Staff

Cross guard Saber

Dual Phase saber (these held 2 crystals)

Dueling Saber (just a slight hilt change though)

Long Handle saber (again mostly hilt change for the game, but they were designed to easily be one or two handed when wielded)

Wan-Shen

Not in this timeline.

There is a very cool lightning effect along the blade that the dark side sages do. Making it a permanent effect for other classes could be very cool. Really though, I don't think the look needs to be changed and you are focusing to heavily one a single part of your over all look.

The only problem with the lightsabers, and it's not a big one by any means, is the lack of variation in use during combat.

Lightsaber duels in the films ( and in the game trailers) were all about the moves that went with it, throwing in some variation on the moves in combat would really make it look good. Add some spins, leaps, flourishes with the blade. It doesn't have to have any affect on the actual combat mechanics, but making fights look more dynamic would be really nice.

I expected this, I am just asking if people think this is fine or that perhaps some more creativity would make it more fun.

But let's say a staff with some glow through it .

What type of creativity do you expect? It is going to have to fit in with the Lore, thus it is going to have to be ok with Lucas Arts.. This is his world, not yours, not Bioware's. If you can't wrap you mind around that then you are in for some serious disappointments.

These movies are not just considered 'movies' to George. Otherwise why would he have re-released movies the way 'He' wanted them to be released once he got enough clout and money to do so.. (I'm not saying I agree with the changes he has made, I'm just point out that the Star Wars Universe is his.. Lock, Stock and Barrel)

Edited by Tahana

There's no maybe about it. People think Star Wars. People think lightsaber. Neither Bioware nor Lucasarts are going to mess with that. It messes with the very fabric of the game/lore/universe/IP.

You'll get a variety of colors. You'll get different hilts. You won't get Pike Sabers. There already is a 2 handed option. And laser whips aren't lightsabers. So you might get them, but they won't be lightsabers.

MMO's are partly about looks weapons/gear and such.

I just think they could have done more with the concept, or offer alternatives that also look creative (mind you creative in a sensible way)

See my previous post..

Also if you think you are going to see big shoulder pads with spikes that you'd impale your head on when you shake it from side to side its NOT going to happen. This is a well established universe under the creative direction of Lucas... I'm sure that very little leeway was given in armor and weapons.

So it's weird to expect that 3000 years ago people used maybe different models of light sabers or weapons that looked different with light going through them.

I mean if this is lol lore how about life day that was suppose to be a part of the lore.

Even better Jar Jar Binks is this to be taken serious as well?

That alone killed a part of the story for me.

Not to bash or anything but JL is pretty easy in adding weird stuff to SW.

I just don't find this such a weird thing to decide especially in a MMO where getting gear is a part of the game along with looks.

I appreciate your input though, I'm pretty sure a lot of HC SW fans like it the way it is.

Than again I can't speak for the average MMO player how they experience the same weapon start to finish.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Seeing how this is 3000+ years ago I think they should have made them all like prototype lightsabers. At first I thought that was what they were doing in the start of the game with the training lightsabers. I wish they just kept going off that design. Like having a lightsaber that looked like a glowing hot peace of iron, or one with two prongs on both sides holding a bolt of electricity between them, and even some that look clunky and cumbersome like failed experiments. Till finally around your late 40's you come across your first true lightsaber. Edited by ClayPeopleCry

Seeing how this is 3000+ years ago

The CE book kind of touches on it. Wookiepedia certainly details the history of the lightsaber. Needless to say, the time period this game is set in, lightsabers were already refined to what we all know from the movies.

To get the older, klunkier ones, you gotta go back much farther.

The CE book kind of touches on it. Wookiepedia certainly details the history of the lightsaber. Needless to say, the time period this game is set in, lightsabers were already refined to what we all know from the movies.

To get the older, klunkier ones, you gotta go back much farther.

I don't care. Many people wouldn't know that and it would give more variety to the weapons.