Why SWTOR will not "fail" or go F2P..

Dunzo

Whether or not it can hold 500k subs forever, probably not.

But I hate these *********** scrub WoW players screaming 'OMG I only get 30 FPS!'. Chill the **** out, it's a new game, they will fix it.

FFS, Anarchy Online had literally THE worst launch of all time, it was literally barely playable, and was successful for years after.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. SW:TOR will not hold on to 500k subs, mark my words.

You're right. It'll go a lot higher than that. And some haters will probably cry every time that's rubbed in their face. :rolleyes:

4. have a "open beta testing to the public" with limited access to zones and quests that actually work, making it appear the game is finished.

<snip>

please note i am in no way making references to this game because ea, bioware and lucas arts are not in the business to make money, they care about you.

Indeed you must not be referring to this game, considering that the whole game was open during the beta test. Oops. :eek:

Edited by Abriael

Sorry, this is off-topic, but THERE IS A LOOKING FOR GROUP TOOL!!!!!!!!!

Just doesn't work because maybe 5% of players use it.

Makes your post really funny in retrospect.

:wea_03: Lightsaber.

I don't understand why they would use something like that when it failed in other mmos. It was proven in Wow, and other MMOs that used it. Players don't like using it.

If I have a hour to play, I want a MMO that I can log on hit a button and save myself time for a group. I like grouping with strangers. I don't mind grouping with people from other servers.

Everything that people said bad about it, I enjoy with it. I just want to play the content, and with how my time is. This mmo is not for me. It's a shame really, I love the story and the game itself, but not having a LFG system like wow, and Rift makes me not want to play.

Everything that people said bad about it, I enjoy with it. I just want to play the content, and with how my time is. This mmo is not for me. It's a shame really, I love the story and the game itself, but not having a LFG system like wow, and Rift makes me not want to play.

You're not the only person on the globe, so you can't expect every game to be tailored over your needs. Just pointing it out.

You're not the only person on the globe, so you can't expect every game to be tailored over your needs. Just pointing it out.

No, but a game that is suppose to be Huge and wanted massive numbers to not have a Looking for Group Queue system is not only laughable, but also shows how out of touch bioware is with the current MMO market.

Having a LFG queue system is a must have in todays MMOS. It lets players like myself see the content, and play it with ease. Not only making the avg player better, but letting the company work get seen by more and more people.

The only way bioware is going to help this game is adding one soon.

Are you only familiar with WOW? No MMOs have more than 500k for any length of time except WOW. So what is that like 1% of MMOs in history have kept 500k subs so the odds are stacked very very hard against them keeping that many subs.

And how many MMOs have launched with over a Million people playing?

Seriously: cancel your subscriptions already. Talking about it here isn't gonna do anyone good.

PS: If there's a problem with the core engine of this game (which there is!) then fixing it isn't a matter of a few days or 2 weeks... Check back in at LEAST a month or so.

This game is great. No doubt some of the naysayers are trolls. This is a new MMO, given that the game has been released for less than a month the SWTOR team has done a great job with communication and updates. SWTOR may have a few bugs here and there but they are nothing compared to the bugs that plagued Skyrim, and little in the way of useful patches from Bethesda.

The game will grow and even the ugliest of bugs will get fixed regardless of churnover. EA's distribution + BW's dev + Lucas Valley Ranch covering their 6 = commercial success and long term growth. Too much horsepower under the hood for it to fail of go F2P.

And this. Be honest here:

EXCEPT for the performance issues (NR1 game killer imho), what does this MMO LACK that other mmos did have @ launch? A LFG system... Yeah, but thats it. It has: more pvp/pve options than most games @ launch, it has voice-acting and choices to make @ launch, it has a huge playerbase @ launch, it has ****loads of potential @ launch.

I went into this game not expecting **** -> Extremely pleasant surprise to find that its actually good. Even ''single player style leveling'' can be enjoyable, as I'm doing that with 1 of my chars right now. Nope, this game will be alright in the long run.

And this. Be honest here:

EXCEPT for the performance issues (NR1 game killer imho), what does this MMO LACK that other mmos did have @ launch? A LFG system... Yeah, but thats it. It has: more pvp/pve options than most games @ launch, it has voice-acting and choices to make @ launch, it has a huge playerbase @ launch, it has ****loads of potential @ launch.

I went into this game not expecting **** -> Extremely pleasant surprise to find that its actually good. Even ''single player style leveling'' can be enjoyable, as I'm doing that with 1 of my chars right now. Nope, this game will be alright in the long run.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Turbine's games (LOTRO & DDO) were the only one's that came with a LFG interface built in right out of the gate. DAoC didn't have one, WoW didn't have one, SWG didn't have one, E&B didn't have one, GW didn't have one and STO didn't have one. Haven't played Warhammer, AoC, Aion, Rift or Skyrim so I can't speak to those titles.

But I totally agree that there is way too much going for this game for it to flame out.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Turbine's games (LOTRO & DDO) were the only one's that came with a LFG interface built in right out of the gate. DAoC didn't have one, WoW didn't have one, SWG didn't have one, E&B didn't have one, GW didn't have one and STO didn't have one. Haven't played Warhammer, AoC, Aion, Rift or Skyrim so I can't speak to those titles.

Skyrim isn't an MMO, just to correct you. :p

WAR and Rift did not have LFG tools. Rift's saw the dungeon content nerfed into faceroll status when it came out. This is why we don't want one for SWTOR.

No, but a game that is suppose to be Huge and wanted massive numbers to not have a Looking for Group Queue system is not only laughable, but also shows how out of touch bioware is with the current MMO market.

Having a LFG queue system is a must have in todays MMOS. It lets players like myself see the content, and play it with ease. Not only making the avg player better, but letting the company work get seen by more and more people.

The only way bioware is going to help this game is adding one soon.

Almost no MMORPG gets released with a LFG tool. Bioware is plenty in touch with the current MMO market, in touch enough to have the biggest launch in the genre's history.

They may not be in touch with you, but your opinions and needs =/= the MMO market.

You're right. It'll go a lot higher than that. And some haters will probably cry every time that's rubbed in their face. :rolleyes:

Indeed you must not be referring to this game, considering that the whole game was open during the beta test. Oops. :eek:

it was open during the beta sure.. but how much of it was realistically accessed by the masses during 'open' beta?? right not that much. we only had 4 days.

also, for those in general testing that did get to end game.. they reported the bugs time and again.. and guess what? most of those bugs are STILL in the game right now. and they arent minor.. its stuff like.. cant loot a boss after a wipe.. or unable to progress beyond a certain point..

i understand it takes time to fix bugs.. but they had PLENTY of time to address them.. again, a lot of the end game issues were reported back in beta.. yet they havent fixed them yet. hopefully they will soon.. or this game WILL be F2P.. who wants to pay for broken content?

i love the game, but the apologists need to wake up and realize that bioware has a LOT of work to do if they even want to be in the same stratosphere as 'that other game'.. at least in regards to subs.

Are you only familiar with WOW? No MMOs have more than 500k for any length of time except WOW. So what is that like 1% of MMOs in history have kept 500k subs so the odds are stacked very very hard against them keeping that many subs.

If i understand it right, that's not true. For example, Aion had to go f2p because they were so low on numbers in EU but in asian market they have millions of players. Can add Lineage to that list too and there's few more mmo like that.

Only time will tell really.

This game is a lot of fun, and if they hit on a ton of bug fixing in the next month, they stand a pretty good chance. They'll likely have their biggest patch around the 20th (or just before) so that people will come back to see changes.

The reality is that all of this negative feedback is because people WANT to like this game. Give it a month or two (assuming they do bug fixing) and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a good player base.

Can't say anything more than that. Not even half of the player base care about forums, write opinions etc. Only time will tell. But Eu server population shows "LIGHT" at perk hours while they used to be full/heavy makes me wonder if they increased server caps again or people already leaving. Game lacks content indeed, may disappoint hardcore players and i've disappointed on many topics but i still love the game and enjoying it. It haven't even been 1 month since release. Human being, wants everything instantly. I believe, at lest tryign to hold on to that, when they fix major bugs and add more content, it will be more fun. Just give it time..

Edited by Kizrath

If i understand it right, that's not true. For example, Aion had to go f2p because they were so low on numbers in EU but in asian market they have millions of players. Can add Lineage to that list too and there's few more mmo like that.

Can't say anything more than that. Not even half of the player base care about forums, write opinions etc. Only time will tell. But Eu server population shows "LIGHT" at perk hours while they used to be full/heavy makes me wonder if they increased server caps again or people already leaving. Game lacks content indeed, may disappoint hardcore players and i've disappointed on many topics but i still love the game and enjoying it. It haven't even been 1 month since release. Human being, wants everything instantly. I believe, at lest tryign to hold on to that, when they fix major bugs and add more content, it will be more fun. Just give it time..

Pretty sure Aion is still P2P last time I checked it out about 4 months ago, but they certainly are hurting for subs.

Pretty sure Warhammer sold over 1million copies on launch, how many subs are they rocking now?

No.

Here's what Mark Jacobs, manager of Mythic Entertainment had to say, “In just one week we have a half a million people playing WAR online, and the ranks of Order and Destruction are growing at a record-breaking pace for a new MMORPG. We spent years working to provide players with the most stable, epic, and polished online world we could, but it is the players that have truly brought the Age of Reckoning to life”.

Warhammer Online had 500,000 in the first week. SWTOR had 1,000,000.

Dude, the EU server population is currently showing "Standard" and "Heavy" and yesterday there was alot of "Heavy" and "Very Heavy"

Star Wars: The Old Republic needs only 500K subscribers - EA

http://www.gamespot.com/news/star-wars-the-old-republic-needs-only-500k-subscribers-ea-6297338

To summarize, the game needs 500k subs to be profitable. The game has sold an estimated 2 million+ copies. For the game to drop to less then 500k would be extremely unlikely, so really to say it will fail or go f2p is just ridiculous. It is what it is, and it isn't going to apologize for it.

Having said this, I am no big fan of the game myself. To be honest I play it by ear, week to week, holding out at the last second to see if I sub for another month. The game really is suffering from factors that were preventable - poor engine, poor customer service, weak content. But do I think it's going to crash and burn? No way. It's going to be the only Star Wars MMO for the next 6-10 years so love it or hate it cause it's not going anywhere.

First off I agree TOR will not go F2P or B2P, at least not in forseeable future of 12-24 months.

What I will also say is if TOR has 500,000 only at anytime in the next 2 years, this game is a FAILURE

hitting profitablity marks does not = success

Itspretty easy to see TOR was suppose to be a multi million sub game for the long term (over 24 months) so if it falls even under 1million in next 24 - 36 months, this game is a FAILURE!

Im not saying it will, im just saying thats what the preceived impression will be!

Its like all those sWG fans who keep saying how SWG wasnt lossing money pre NGE

True, it also didnt come close, not remotely close to what was expected of it and thats what makes it one of the biggest flops in MMORPG history.

Just breaking even is not good enough for these big budget games, the investors DEMAND big returns over long periods of time.

I dont think TOR will go F2P or B2P in the next 24 months but I no longer think TOR will be the smash hit I once thought it would be.

To many bone headed mistakes made.

I dont worry about haveing bugs and what not, its a MMORPG and that happens,

But the pre launch nonsense was completely avoidable

The no Real RP servers are completely avoidable

That BAD TWEET put out

and onwards

These are all FORSEEABLE and CORRECTABLE mistakes that have gone on to long (or went on to long) and they will have lasting negative effects because of them