Favorite Romance Relationship in SWTOR?

shinder

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious how everyone is getting all these romance options with there companions.. are you guys buying them a ton of gifts to build there affection??

I'm lvl 38 and have only had 2 coversations at most with any of my companions

Because u need to get there Affection up by doing more conversations with that person when ur talking to a NPC and u say something they like and look at your Codex and look under Character or companion i think and u click on them it will show what they like to here and what the dislike

I keep going :/ at the romances. They're very lackluster and the most involved dialogue you get with companions, let alone romance paths, last for roughly 2 minutes and span, at most, 20 lines of dialogue.

Wrap it up thereafter if you're progressing somewhat organically with affection gains as you go down through the game, you won't be seeing another conversation with them for a while.

If you get to 50 and focus on dropping companion gifts on them? Well, then you can chain the conversations and establish a whole 15 minutes' worth of involvement with any one of them.

Romance? "I like you, yay. Flirt flirt. It can be married-time now? Yay married! The end."

Feels terribly, terribly thin. And before someone assumes a wildly inaccurate extreme of a reprisal, no, I wasn't looking for a 700 page novel's equivalence to depth and exploration of any single romance companion's relationship with the character, or for any one companion at all, but there's about...fifty miles worth of middle ground between what it is now and the unreasonable edge of such an extreme.

it's not that what exists is bad; it's that what exists is super barebones and roughly as fulfilling as a three-piece jigsaw puzzle would be to solve.

Quality isn't bad. Quantity is direly lacking. Conclusion rendered. Peace out.

I havent played other Bioware games, I was happy with WoW but it was the companion feature that brought me to this game. I like it and hate it at the same time. My favorite character is my Bounty Hunter and I adore Torian. I am female playing a female toon. My problem is that the whole romance lacks depth. Im all for adding new companions, but how about fixing what we already have? I am level 48, I have Torians affection maxed and Im not even sure if my bounty hunter is married or not. He asked, she accepted, and I have only had two conversations and two emails from him since. Nothing that even mentions marriage. There was no ceremony or anything. I was hoping there would be some kind of ceremony with their friends and that Mandalore would be there to make it official. I am a tank, so I take Mako everywhere I go and leave Torian at home cause his DPS sucks compaired to mine. Is that why he doesnt talk to me? LOL!

I have Quinn on my sith warrior and Im sad that he is my only choice. I find his "soldier first, everything else is less important" attitude incredibly annoying. I just want to kick him out of my ships airlock during flight. I am only romancing him and giving him whatever he wants cause there is no other option. IRL I would tell him to climb to the top of an active volcano and throw himself in.

I would love to see more depth in the relationships we already have. Yes I know that lack of conversations between spouses is more like a real marriage but I think Torian is adorable and my bounty hunter WANTS to talk to him more but he wont talk! He gives the same canned responses he did before he proposed. I think he should move into her bedroom at least, although I havent't figured out which room that actually is. And I think his canned responses to being clicked on should change after a proposal is accepted and I wished he would have more interaction with her. I sigh every time I take her back on to her ship, and Torian is just standing there in the cargo hold area with nothing to say.

Hey where is the Elara Dorne love on here?!

First off, being a dude in real life I figured I wouldn't take the "romance" option too seriously in a game, and at first that's what I did. Being a male Trooper of course one of my only options is Elara Dorne.

At first I just picked the flirt option and whatever happened, happened. Like others said, she is super "stuffy", following protocol, etc. You know, ex-imperial office style.

However at the later levels I was kinda blown away by how she changed, and it really made me change how I acted towards her. Surprisingly this had to be a a great romance option if it actually changes your attitude in the game. It's like only you know the "real" Elara, which IMO is a great story because it involves your character on a different level.

Originally I was going to be the jerky tuff guy, but after playing along side with her almost the whole game, I felt like we should be "exclusive". When the marriage option came up I of course went that direction when she talked about having kids, I did say "not sure".

Also what I thought was funny/cute, was a day after getting married I got an in game email from her saying she was signing us up for a biology lecture! LOL! It's like we are married: she's dragging me around to boring places.

I haven't reached level 50 yet (4 more to go), but I'm hoping there is a little more story. I agree with other posters when they say the voice acting and story is good, it's just the quantity of them. Also I don't like that in a "romance" type setup, you can only "explore" that side "once" and at designated times.

I like the idea of of the standard canned responses in game changing somewhat once you've hit a romantic level. I couldn't imagine in real life my wife saying "Yes sir!". Also repeatable mini stories (not for XP of course) just to have the option. It seems like you invest a lot, but once it's over, it's over. Kind of depressing.

So I definitely give the Elara Dorne romance 5 stars, but would like Bioware to build on it in future releases.

I am level 48, I have Torians affection maxed and Im not even sure if my bounty hunter is married or not. He asked, she accepted, and I have only had two conversations and two emails from him since. Nothing that even mentions marriage. There was no ceremony or anything. I was hoping there would be some kind of ceremony with their friends and that Mandalore would be there to make it official. I am a tank, so I take Mako everywhere I go and leave Torian at home cause his DPS sucks compaired to mine. Is that why he doesnt talk to me? LOL!

I would love to see more depth in the relationships we already have. Yes I know that lack of conversations between spouses is more like a real marriage but I think Torian is adorable and my bounty hunter WANTS to talk to him more but he wont talk! He gives the same canned responses he did before he proposed. I think he should move into her bedroom at least, although I havent't figured out which room that actually is. And I think his canned responses to being clicked on should change after a proposal is accepted and I wished he would have more interaction with her. I sigh every time I take her back on to her ship, and Torian is just standing there in the cargo hold area with nothing to say.

Agree 100%!

It's small things (I think are a smaller effort for the devs) that could change the companion/marriage experience. Moving your companion to the bedroom, is a good idea. Also changing the right clickable responses to ten lines of different (possibly already existing) dialogue would be cool. Instead of her saying "Yes sir" or "lets get to the mission", maybe "I love you" or something else.

For future add-ons I like the idea of repeatable conversations or "mini-games". If I can run a flashpoint or a space mission once a day, I should be able to romance my wife once a day! Even some how make the "/emote" system where if you target your companion and say /hug, it actually does the act.

I havent played other Bioware games, I was happy with WoW but it was the companion feature that brought me to this game. I like it and hate it at the same time. My favorite character is my Bounty Hunter and I adore Torian. I am female playing a female toon. My problem is that the whole romance lacks depth. Im all for adding new companions, but how about fixing what we already have? I am level 48, I have Torians affection maxed and Im not even sure if my bounty hunter is married or not. He asked, she accepted, and I have only had two conversations and two emails from him since. Nothing that even mentions marriage. There was no ceremony or anything. I was hoping there would be some kind of ceremony with their friends and that Mandalore would be there to make it official. I am a tank, so I take Mako everywhere I go and leave Torian at home cause his DPS sucks compaired to mine. Is that why he doesnt talk to me? LOL!

I have Quinn on my sith warrior and Im sad that he is my only choice. I find his "soldier first, everything else is less important" attitude incredibly annoying. I just want to kick him out of my ships airlock during flight. I am only romancing him and giving him whatever he wants cause there is no other option. IRL I would tell him to climb to the top of an active volcano and throw himself in.

Actually, Mandalorians do NOT have any sort of real ceremony surrounding the marriage act. Not even witnesses in attendance. Rather, the two Mandalorians will go somewhere private where they exchange vows with each other. And Torian DOES give you those wedding vows. They're as follows:

“Mhi solus tome.”

“Mhi solus dhar'tome.”

“Mhi me'dinui an.”

“Mhi ba'juri verde.”

Which translates to:

"We're one when we're together,

we're one when we're apart,

we'll share everything,

we'll raise warriors."

There's so much to what Torian says about Mandalorian culture that's worth listening to. When he described the Resol-Nare, I ran to google to look it up. Those "Six Acts" form the basis for Mandalorian culture. For him to promise to teach it to my Bounty Hunter is huge. His assurance he'll be teaching my BH, too, indicates there's more to their interaction than is actually seen in the game. Or at least, that's how I roleplay it, hehe.

As for Quinn...I'm married to a Soldier. Quinn is awesome. Albeit never as awesome as the Soldier *I* married.

Actually, Mandalorians do NOT have any sort of real ceremony surrounding the marriage act. Not even witnesses in attendance. Rather, the two Mandalorians will go somewhere private where they exchange vows with each other. And Torian DOES give you those wedding vows.

Along those lines though, when I married Elara:

She said something to the effect of "We'll have to do things properly someday! With dress uniforms and a ceremony!" She also wanted General Garza to perform the ceremony. OF course I'm assuming this doesn't happen as I've never heard anything about it. I'm level 46 and I've gotten as far as the "lets have children some day conversation".

I'm playing a SI at the moment and I'm just getting into the romance options with my companion (although I've kind of spoilt things a bit by reading a lot of the conversation paths ahead of time...), but I'm not really involved with it.

However... the NPC romance you get with Rylee Dray was much better. If Bioware ever implement relationships outside of the companions I'd really like to see where that one could go. Ashara is just a bit too wingey for my tastes... also the fact that she only falls for you if you go light sided or *if you bribe her with gifts* just makes her seem a little shallow to me.

Along those lines though, when I married Elara:

She said something to the effect of "We'll have to do things properly someday! With dress uniforms and a ceremony!" She also wanted General Garza to perform the ceremony. OF course I'm assuming this doesn't happen as I've never heard anything about it. I'm level 46 and I've gotten as far as the "lets have children some day conversation".

Of course. The ceremony is private. Then there's a party with friends and family, following. Good to check out Wookiepedia, hehe: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian#Culture

Gonna have to forgive me, too. I'm not at all familiar with Elara. I'm a female myself and have problems successfully playing male characters through any game. I stick with my Fems. I'm familiar with Cadera, Riggs, and Quinn right now. Will probably see Revel next.

Of course. The ceremony is private. Then there's a party with friends and family, following. Good to check out Wookiepedia, hehe: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian#Culture

Ha ha, my fault! I meant in "my story arc": Trooper, I didn't get anything fun (meaning a ceremony cut-scene). But then again I don't think anyone does. Basically the companion just says "Great! Were married" and then that's really it. I did get a email, which actually I found cute. She bought tickets to a "Medical conference". Ha ha. Sounds like a typical wife move: forcing a guy to go to boring events.

Which is definitley why I hope Bioware listens to folks like us and add future "repeatable" content (which is over in this post right now: "Once you marry your companion that's it?"

Ha ha, my fault! I meant in "my story arc": Trooper, I didn't get anything fun (meaning a ceremony cut-scene). But then again I don't think anyone does. Basically the companion just says "Great! Were married" and then that's really it. I did get a email, which actually I found cute. She bought tickets to a "Medical conference". Ha ha. Sounds like a typical wife move: forcing a guy to go to boring events.

Which is definitley why I hope Bioware listens to folks like us and add future "repeatable" content (which is over in this post right now: "Once you marry your companion that's it?"

Haha, I thought you were saying Elara is a Mandalorian, too. Is she? I haven't played the Trooper past 17, anyway, so I'm completely clueless about Elara's story.

I'm looking forward to "more" of the romances moving ahead. Although if anyone works it so that my smuggler ends up divorced from Corso, I'm going to scream aloud. She loves the farm boy, leave them be!

I enjoyed Mako so much that I actually find it hard to use other companions with my BH despite having had her maxed for a bit now (plus getting healed is nice, even if it takes me a while to kill).

The whole first chapter is really more of a shared story between the BH and Mako and I felt the romance and bonding experience played out in a lot of the class quests more so than the character quests. I have played most of the other classes to 10 and Mako is the only one I have found who seems integrated in that way. The rest of them are just along for the ride through your story.

I got the same feeling, albeit not as strong, from finishing her quest line as I did from finishing a book.

I really hope these actors and writers are under contract for a few more expansions because I'll be disappointed if they don't add more content with the original characters.

I haven't levelled very far with other classes.

I actually did partial romances with both jaesa and vette on my warrior, and ended up going with vette. LOVE HER. i felt she was a more dimensional person then jaesa, little old fashioned with the wait til marriage thing, but i thought she was really sweet and really liked the e mail series she sends post max affection. those were adorable and pretty funny too. looking forward to seeing what happens with some of my other characters (like IA and Kaliyo)

also would love to see more post marriage/max affection conversations and such, have been feeling a little bereft of the mushy stuff doing endgame content. Maybe some more companion quest lines?

Edited by DarthVampirous

Haha, I thought you were saying Elara is a Mandalorian, too. Is she? I haven't played the Trooper past 17, anyway, so I'm completely clueless about Elara's story.

Naw, Elara is a Republic Medic(Trooper), but her back story is she defected from the Empire. That's also one of the reasons that I think she is one of the best "romance" options. She's constantly getting crap from the other NPCs (and even you if you choose those options). Finally it's kind of all worth it because she gets all emotional saying "you were the only one that believed in me" and that's why she loves you etc.

Although if anyone works it so that my smuggler ends up divorced from Corso, I'm going to scream aloud. She loves the farm boy, leave them be!

I AGREE!!! If "divorce" is introduced in the future it better be a PLAYER decision and not an NPC one! Now I think that would be a good "consequence" if you "cheat" on a companion, that seems fair. But just to make it part of the story seems really cruel from a developer point of view.

I think a lot of people play games to have an escape from real life, or let them be something they are not for a little while. To force something a lot of people had to suffer with in RL seems really mean. I'd be the first to boycott and riot!

I AGREE!!! If "divorce" is introduced in the future it better be a PLAYER decision and not an NPC one! Now I think that would be a good "consequence" if you "cheat" on a companion, that seems fair. But just to make it part of the story seems really cruel from a developer point of view. I think a lot of people play games to have an escape from real life, or let them be something they are not for a little while. To force something a lot of people had to suffer with in RL seems really mean. I'd be the first to boycott and riot!

Lots of "thumbs up" from me, here. Heard alot of chuckles during interviews where the "divorce" word was thrown around, but I just shake my head. I just don't find it funny or fun, at all.

Lots of "thumbs up" from me, here. Heard alot of chuckles during interviews where the "divorce" word was thrown around, but I just shake my head. I just don't find it funny or fun, at all.

Yeah, it HAS to be a "player" made decision!

I've heard a lot of people in this forum talk about how in Mass Effect, Bioware made some rough story moves by ending relationships and killing off characters. I think that's ok for a console game, but for a subscription based MMO, I think players would be VERY angry. :mad:

Agreed on divorces - let's put that in the hands of the player if at all.

My highest level characters are Smuggler and BH, both female so I've been romancing Corso and Torian. I'm enjoying the Corso romance well enough. It's not concluded yet since affection is somewhere in the 8000s and I'm waiting to level up to finish one of his quests.

Torian's around 9500 affection and on the whole I've found his romance oddly paced and rather dull. You'd barely notice he was interested at all, then suddenly a love confession straight out of the blue. My last two scenes involving him were cute, admittedly and I liked the short email I got from him so far. It underlined the fact that he's a man of few words and half of them are Mando'a anyway, so that was fitting. It's just a shame it all felt so meh earlier on.

I guess I like the more talkative characters and Mandalorian culture leaves me indifferent, so Torian's not my type. I don't find Akavi interesting either on the other side. If I was playing a male smuggler I'd definitely go for Risha. I like her dry and snarky personality, even though I take the more Corso-like 'oh you poor thing, let's save your friends' responses when questing and she doesn't do sympathy.

I'm surprised no one has mention him, but my favorite romance is Aric Jorgan for my female trooper. I think he's more... realistic (if that makes any sense). At the beginning he's all stuff and crabby, and I really didn't like him all that much, but his character actually evolves and has definitely gained my troopers attention. Plus it's hilarious when he gets jealous lol.

I'm not saying he's the best looking 'cause he really isn't, but his personality really fits with my trooper.

My least favorite romance is Corso. I don't know why, but he just bugs me. There have been a few times where I wish one of the reply options could be *slap sense into him* lol. He's cute, just annoying.

But yeah, the Aric Jorgan romance gets 5 stars in my book and I'm eager to see where it goes. :)

Not a companion but.. DARTH LACHRIS. She's got the power thing.

No but really I think I'm growing fond of Mako, just because she agrees with most of my actions and I don't feel like I should avoid something because she'll hate me. Like punching those Alderaanian jerks, she was all for that.

I liked Darth Lachris, I thought she and my Dark Side Sith Juggernaut really had something special going. She was evil and a bit crazy, but devious and not senseless.