Ok, this is too much

Zanathax

If we're talking about simply voicing opinion, then what an abhorrent way to treat your customers. Can =/= should.

I was just poitning out that he doesn't "get to complain" here at all. Now if BW wants to improve on the game they will have to at least pay attention to what people say, but he has no inherent right to voice anything here.

Further, from my experience a lot of people only pull the freedom of speech card after they have crossed the line of civil argument already and are perfectly aware they have, but try to umbrella their misstep away with freedom of speech.

Most importantly Freedom of Speech does not mean you can say what you want WHERE you want. It means only you can publicly present your opinions, whatever they may be, without fear of prosecution.

That still does not mean you can just come into my house and do it.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love when Europeans complain that patching messes with their gametime.

This is an AMERICAN based company. So it revolves around our times.

Better luck next time... old chap.

Actually, no. How come Blizzard and several other companies manage to have separate patch-times?

The world does not revolve around America, you're just very good at whining when small things happen to you.

Actually, no. How come Blizzard and several other companies manage to have separate patch-times?

Except they build up to that overtime. No company in their right mind would invest in overseas support until they know what they is successful enough to support it monentarily.

Yes, I appreciate the active patching and the fact that BioWare is trying to eep things moving forward with fixing problems with the game. But I am up at night. Patching every frigging night this week is TOO much. I'm really sick and tired of this, BioWare. Patch once a week. Maybe twice a week. No matter what's going on with the game, patching constantly likethis is NOT the answer.

There has to be a better one.

This one STINKS!

EDIT: To be clearer, I am complaining about the servers being down for 8 or 10 hours a night, 3 nights in a row. It shouldn;t be necessary for them to be down for this long. If it is, BioWare needs to bring it some programmers with more experience in implementation, because no other MMO I have ever played has ever done this. Once a week to restart and maintain servers? Sure. 3 days in a row for 8 to 10 hours a night? Never, in the 15 or so MMO's I have been a part of the launch of has a game company done this.

So I'm complaining. I get to do that. I'm a paying customer. With out feedback, BW won't change. I want them to do so. Therefore.....

Basically, you have no idea what you are talking about!

Most MMO's have done the same... daily patches immediately after release is the norm. While I agree that it is frustrating because we want to play, it is understandable and even appreciated because we can see fixes and improvements being made. Eventually, when the game reaches a certain point of "stability" the patches will go to the normal once a week you are whining about; but for the first few weeks all good MMO's have to undergo a steady stream of patching.

Yes, I appreciate the active patching and the fact that BioWare is trying to eep things moving forward with fixing problems with the game. But I am up at night. Patching every frigging night this week is TOO much. I'm really sick and tired of this, BioWare. Patch once a week. Maybe twice a week. No matter what's going on with the game, patching constantly likethis is NOT the answer.

There has to be a better one.

This one STINKS!

EDIT: To be clearer, I am complaining about the servers being down for 8 or 10 hours a night, 3 nights in a row. It shouldn;t be necessary for them to be down for this long. If it is, BioWare needs to bring it some programmers with more experience in implementation, because no other MMO I have ever played has ever done this. Once a week to restart and maintain servers? Sure. 3 days in a row for 8 to 10 hours a night? Never, in the 15 or so MMO's I have been a part of the launch of has a game company done this.

So I'm complaining. I get to do that. I'm a paying customer. With out feedback, BW won't change. I want them to do so. Therefore.....

I've been playing for countless hours late night/early morning and not once have the servers been down longer than like 1-2 hrs.

/thread

purchase of the game gives you 30 days free of charge.. so you arent paying jack yet. As for the patching, its unfortunate for those that have the extra time in the dead of night (or the break of morning for EU folks) when the servers are patching. This is to be expected. These types of games will take upon a living, breathing structure. Bioware will continue to feed and fix the issues that arrise.

Bottom line, Ill gladly wait for servers to be on a temporary downtime on a nightly basis, over a broken game that sees no improvements in 2-3 months. Come on people. Common sense and a little patience and understanding will help in the long term.

Let the game flourish like it needs to.

I understand OP frustration, but take a step back and look at what the issues are:

1. Worst game ever, not playing if bugs not fixed, i quit, exploits, blah blah blah , fix fix fix , no patience, fix now, quit.................

2. Patches occur at an increase frequency to start to address issues................i quit, to much patching, can't play, stop patching so much, this sucks, how is a game patching so much, cant believe a game has to patch, i quit, worse game cause so many fix patches........

Come on people, "Can't have cake and eat it to"......

The world does not revolve around America, you're just very good at whining when small things happen to you.

The world may not, but Bioware does :D

get over it, fixes need to be made, let them do their work..

I understand OP frustration, but take a step back and look at what the issues are:

1. Worst game ever, not playing if bugs not fixed, i quit, exploits, blah blah blah , fix fix fix , no patience, fix now, quit.................

2. Patches occur at an increase frequency to start to address issues................i quit, to much patching, can't play, stop patching so much, this sucks, how is a game patching so much, cant believe a game has to patch, i quit, worse game cause so many fix patches........

Come on people, "Can't have cake and eat it to"......

^^^ Yep + 1 ^^^

Wait, there was a thread just yesterday where the guy complained that they don't patch enough. He said how he much more appreciated Trion when Rift released patching fixes everyday.

Now we don't like that they are patching everyday?

I missed a memo somewhere.

• Dev Post

While I can understand that there is frustration around the frequency of patches, as many have already mentioned in this thread, patches are both normal and extremely important to ensure the stability of the game. Some of the issues fixed yesterday and today were absolutely crucial.

Given the complexity of software like Star Wars:The Old Republic, what may appear as a simple fix can take hundreds, if not thousands of man hours to resolve. We have teams working around the clock to make sure that issues are fixed in a timely manner, while maintaining the quality that you've come to expect (read: doesn't break anything else ;)). The timing of these patches are not designed in ANY way to single any one out; they are, as I've mentioned before, done at the point in time where we have one of the lowest number of users connected globally.

No matter when we choose to bring the service down, we will impact someone's play time - this is simply unavoidable. However, again, it's important that these issues are fixed as soon as we can, to help ensure the long term stability of Star Wars:The Old Republic.

EDIT: To be clearer, I am complaining about the servers being down for 8 or 10 hours a night, 3 nights in a row.

To be clear, the downtimes over the last few days have not been 8-10 hours per day, as you mention. While we announce downtime and give a time range, sometimes things do finish early (and of course, sometimes they run over). Over the last few days, we've totalled just over 7 hours of downtime. Again, we may have said the game may be offline for longer, but we actually achieved very short maintenance times each day.

I feel for those people that play during those times. But I'd also like to allow the client to patch in the background while it's in the system tray, I get home from work and wait for the patch to install like some ketchup commercial. Those 5-10 minutes could be all the difference.

I work late nights (EST) and get home early in the morning. I like to play a bit after work to unwind, unfortunately my off-time during the week usually corresponds perfectly with the maintenance windows! However, I understand perfectly well that my schedule is unusual, and I'm not complaining. For a new MMO, there really has been very little downtime so far. And trust me, I know because I'm usually that one other guy you see on the server at 6:00 in the morning:)