[GUIDE] Awesome pve/pvp dps spec guide for 1.2!

Garricus

This is the build i currently run, As for the 1/2 shield barrier for the increased range, I compleltly agree. Especially for PVE since some if not alot of the raid bosses have 30m aoe range. This keeps me out of it.. As for leveling, I went madness to wrath and then up to CL in the Lighting tree, then finished mad and I have to say it was amazing. extra mob CC and no CD on FL was god like. Edited by Pwnyride

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and thanks for looking into this thread. Unfortunately, this build and rotation is only really good for lvl 40+. For you I would stick with the corruption tree for warzones and heal your team mates. At lvl 12 you lack skill tree points, and I often see low lvl sorcs no where near the 75k damage medal. Healing in warzones is the best thing you can do, it might make or break a warzone match if you keep the higher lvls up, vs your damage will have very little impact on a match. It will also be good for pve, questing and such. You and your companion will breeze through the levels. I was the first lvl 50 inq on my server, and I lvled up to 50 using corruption.

IF you really want to go dps, start up the lightning tree first up to 13 points, then work on madness tree. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply and advice. I'm currently a little bit into the corruption tree so I'll just stick with that and heal like you said. I appreciate it man!

Ok so I did some testing today, cost me around 400k from pulling mods etc from gear. Crit/Surge stacking with this build will absolutely destroy. My highest crit is 5.9k from Death Field. However the power adrenal is better, as you don't want to overstack crit/surge. I'm pretty sure I am well over the softcap. You can't cap on power. I will update the original post on mods and enhancements used.

Hi, thanks for the effort you put down in describing the build. I am currently leveling up and still nowhere near level req to fully utilize this build. As I am levelling I went into Madness to get my Force Lightning without CD and am now going into the LIghtning tree. - With Chain Shock at only 1 point.

I personally feel that leveling with this build is not too much of an issue.

I was wondering why you need Chain Shock max to 3 points. Now that I have the Madness talent I feel that I am not using Shock nearly as much as I used to. To kill off enemies I now rather use another Force Lightning.

Does it make sense to put these two points into LIghtning to let's say get Lightning Spire and maxed L Barrier and something else?

Or is it so that you can't go up the Madness tree without a certain amount of points spent in it?

Thanks.

Edited by deff_at

Or is it so that you can't go up the Madness tree without a certain amount of points spent in it?

Thanks.

This is correct, you need a certain amount of points to go up the tree. Shock is not in the rotation, but it is an excellent skill to use to finish off an enemy in pvp. I normally use it on targets that run away from me and they have 1k hp or less. You can use it while running cause it is instant cast, and has a chance to proc a second hit for extra damage. I use it all the time in pvp.

This build is all about being on the move, while straight lightning tree is being a turret. I use shock only if I don't have a wrath proc chain lightning to finish off an enemy while on the move.

I was wondering why you need Chain Shock max to 3 points. Now that I have the Madness talent I feel that I am not using Shock nearly as much as I used to. To kill off enemies I now rather use another Force Lightning.

Does it make sense to put these two points into LIghtning to let's say get Lightning Spire and maxed L Barrier and lets say Suppression?

I find myself using Whirlwind quite often...

Thanks.

You can't put those 3 points in lightning since you need 28 points in Madness to get 3/3 Creeping Death, which is a core part of this spec to make the DOTs hit harder.

But your point about using Chain Shock less is valid. The higher your level the more situational it becomes and it's never part of the normal rotation. It's a finisher or useful for kiting and that's about it.

The problem is that you'd still need to put those points somewhere in the lower 5 tiers of the Madness tree and your other choices are less than spectacular: Defiance, Parasitism and Corrupted Flesh are either small damage mitigators or tiny heals.

Personally, I'd rather have the expensive and inefficient chain shock. There have been many times when that 2nd 50% bonus shock has been my killing blow.

EDIT: Or what Garricus said...he beat my reply by a few seconds :)

Edited by Iselin

I use shock quite often in pve, not as part of my stand and spam rotation, but when having to run away from aoe, or even kite and if all my dots have been reapplied and death field is on CD, shock is great to get some extra dmg in b4 u are able to stop and spam again.

You can't put those 3 points in lightning since you need 28 points in Madness to get 3/3 Creeping Death, which is a core part of this spec to make the DOTs hit harder.

But your point about using Chain Shock less is valid. The higher your level the more situational it becomes and it's never part of the normal rotation. It's a finisher or useful for kiting and that's about it.

The problem is that you'd still need to put those points somewhere in the lower 5 tiers of the Madness tree and your other choices are less than spectacular: Defiance, Parasitism and Corrupted Flesh are either small damage mitigators or tiny heals.

Personally, I'd rather have the expensive and inefficient chain shock. There have been many times when that 2nd 50% bonus shock has been my killing blow.

EDIT: Or what Garricus said...he beat my reply by a few seconds :)

Creeping death is not core, its only a small buff to your bonus crit. When you are in duel, creeping death does not come in handy specially since dots do not crit all that much. In pve may be more noticeable. PVP fights dont last long enough for you to use creeping death. Creeping death makes sense if you go all the way to creeping terror. Chain shock is the better of lesser evils imo.

Was thinking about switching to the OP build of 13/28 but looking over the 23/18 build I had some questions...

I understand with the 23/18 build not getting up high in madness your not going to be able to utilize the buffs to your dot dmg. So do you strictly use wrath procs with CL or do you still try and throw in CDs when its off of its cooldown or even LS to proc Subversion?

Also the two skills... "Subversion" and "Sith efficiency" both give 75% for the pushback effect for FL. Do these "stack" effectively giving you 100% or no?

And the last question is about the "lightning storm" talent. this talent can proc to give an instant cast of CL. does this work in conjunction with wrath? for instance are you able to proc on your lightning storm get wrath to proc then make two instant CL casts?

Was thinking about switching to the OP build of 13/28 but looking over the 23/18 build I had some questions...

I understand with the 23/18 build not getting up high in madness your not going to be able to utilize the buffs to your dot dmg. So do you strictly use wrath procs with CL or do you still try and throw in CDs when its off of its cooldown or even LS to proc Subversion?

Also the two skills... "Subversion" and "Sith efficiency" both give 75% for the pushback effect for FL. Do these "stack" effectively giving you 100% or no?

And the last question is about the "lightning storm" talent. this talent can proc to give an instant cast of CL. does this work in conjunction with wrath? for instance are you able to proc on your lightning storm get wrath to proc then make two instant CL casts?

1. your dots will still do a fair amount of damage, dont underestimate. In addition your main damage will come from FL, DF and CL ( but the reality is that lightning barrage and wrath are the main hidden players doing the magic )

2. subversion is your resource generating talent for the lightning tree. it does not support FL. You were wrong about that. as far as sith efficiency only applies to FL when a melee is in your face mostly which is working very well. CD should not be hard casted but instant.

3. to get LStorm to proc you have to cast LS. If you are casting LS, then you are not channeling FL which is bad and you can not use wrath with LS because thats saved for CD or CL. In others words is not a viable talent for this particular spec.

GL

Edited by Gaucho

Always pick Reserves (100 extra force, aka 20% more efficient) over Electric Induction (which could be seen as 9% extra force).

The argument that it allows you to cast skills earlier when close to 0 force is invalid too, as our force regen is fast enough and our skill costs not high enough (you do realize that it makes for example Chain Lightning cost 45/46 instead of 50 force, right?).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcM0dZfRbRsMkrc.1

best dps spec for 8 and 16 man operations imo

While i see the reasoning for losing some of shock for dmg reduction , i dont know that the 1% health from dot ticks that appealing, I dont find myself constantly sitting at sub 100% health for long enough to take advantage of it.

As for reserves, Id have to base that off how often i run low on Force otherwise a extra X amount of dmg from shields could be the difference btwn life and death in certain situations. Id love to have an extra lil bit to my life vest for those OH CRAP! moments.

And Lightning spire can keep u at a range away from the boss that keeps u out of 99% of AOE attacks centered at boss. (More of a preference thing).

Only thing i see debating u on is parastism only because of the RNG factor and hopefully that i never sit sub 100% health for more than seconds in a non extreme situation.

Edited by Pwnyride

2. subversion is your resource generating talent for the lightning tree. it does not support FL. You were wrong about that. as far as sith efficiency only applies to FL when a melee is in your face mostly which is working very well. CD should not be hard casted but instant.

The Tooltip for subversion states: "Reduces the pushback suffered while activating Lightning Strike, Chain Lightning and Thundering Blast by [35 / 70]%" I was just wondering if this stacks with the same pushback reduction from Sith Efficiency.

3. to get LStorm to proc you have to cast LS. If you are casting LS, then you are not channeling FL which is bad and you can not use wrath with LS because thats saved for CD or CL. In others words is not a viable talent for this particular spec.

I was just wondering if you could save them up. Like when wrath procs you get buff which is consumed on your next CL cast. So was wondering if it was possible to say proc your wrath then use Lstorm until you proc its effect then burst out 2 CLs instantly back to back.

Thanks for the replies

I was just wondering if you could save them up. Like when wrath procs you get buff which is consumed on your next CL cast. So was wondering if it was possible to say proc your wrath then use Lstorm until you proc its effect then burst out 2 CLs instantly back to back.

I run 0/23/18 (which for pvp I think is still superior to OPs) and have experimented with the instacast procs from LStorm and Wrath. Sadly, you can't save them; you proc a LStorm and a Wrath, one CL will consume your instacasts. At least that's how my game is behaving.

For 23/18 you want to save your Wrath procs for crushing darkness and LS only, with priority on LS (with the hopes it procs LStorm) for burst. The ultimate instacast burst being FL>(wrath proc)LS(forks)>(FStorm proc)CL(forks). Oh the beauty if all that crits. The kind of stuff nerf posts are written about.

bringing something from another thread here,

any reason why 3/31/7, currently is bad as compared to OP?

The 3 Corruption Points are Seeping Darkness

The Points in Madness are Calcify, Sith Defiance, and Disintegration

Does anyone have DMG Meter Output yet from Raids proving the superior DMG of one spec vs. another?

What Benchmarks are good for Crit%, Base Damage, and Alacrity?

I usually Open with CD, then Afflication, then LS, Shock, FL rotation hitting CL everytime the instant procs and refreshing CD and Afflication when they run out.

My FL double shot seems to proc quite often.

The Tooltip for subversion states: "Reduces the pushback suffered while activating Lightning Strike, Chain Lightning and Thundering Blast by [35 / 70]%" I was just wondering if this stacks with the same pushback reduction from Sith Efficiency.

Thanks for the replies

• I will try to answer this 2 ways:

If you are looking to have 2 types of pushback reduction you can. Why would you, with the spec we are talking about which is FL focused not LS or TB.

If you are wondering if they both add up together which it would 145%. No, because they are 2 totally different reductions affecting different skills.

• You can not do that. Because Lstorm resets first; then makes CL instant (the buff you get is the instant mechanic and not the reset). AGAIN, The buff that you receive from Lstorm on your health bar represents the already reseted CL and only means its instant. Problem is that you will still have a CL COOLDOWN in effect after you use it the first time.

So, 2 Chain lightnings back to back does not work for this spec in particular.

UNLESS

You wrath+FL, followed by a hard cast LStrike or Fstorm and get lucky with a LS proc for a second CL. You could do that if you love RNG.

Edited by Gaucho

Thanks for your tips may i suggest you will get more people reading this if you get rid of those screenshots of you showing off, they put you in a bad light from the off.

apart from those it was a nice post. thanks.

Edited by Rayvonuk

What ability are you using to get a achiv of a 2.5k crit? I haven't got this medal yet and I'm using this spec. I avg around 7-8 medals a game but I cannot seem to get that one?

My Death Field crit for around 3.8k, Chain Lightnings also break 3k. What is your Surge rating?