[GUIDE] Awesome pve/pvp dps spec guide for 1.2!

Garricus

I have force issues using this spec, if I blast chain lightning with Wrath procs (when darkness and field are down) I start to go low on force 2-3 mins into the fight, I stopped using it and I stay hovering around 70-100..im thinking maybe I could sacrifice something to get the 100 extra force for the regen off Force Lightning (1 extra force per tick)

What do you think?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried this spec out today and had a lot of fun with it in both pvp and pve. What stats do you mostly focus on with this build? Also, any suggestions for what companion to roll with when soloing?

I have force issues using this spec, if I blast chain lightning with Wrath procs (when darkness and field are down) I start to go low on force 2-3 mins into the fight, I stopped using it and I stay hovering around 70-100..im thinking maybe I could sacrifice something to get the 100 extra force for the regen off Force Lightning (1 extra force per tick)

What do you think?

That's odd, I also use chain lightning on wrath procs. Death field doesn't use up Wrath, only Chain Lightnint and Crushing Darkness. If you follow my rotation, you should be hovering around 70% force on long boss fights or even in PVP. In pvp I get low when I heal myself to get my 75k medal, but then I seethe.

I'd love to know what pieces of gear and stats you gear towards and compare. Which force-masters, which force-mystics if any. What's your stat priority.

For pvp I have full champion force-masters and force-mystics gear. I wear whatever piece has the most willpower on it, while keeping my 2 piece bonus from both sets. Fully buffed I have 16.3k hp and 1563 Willpower.

For pve I have a mixed set of full columi/rakata Mystic set which I use as DPS as well. 16.9k hp and 1890 Willpower.

Screenshots are on first page of stats.

Tried this spec out today and had a lot of fun with it in both pvp and pve. What stats do you mostly focus on with this build? Also, any suggestions for what companion to roll with when soloing?

I focus on Willpower and power. If there was any sort of combat log or damage meters, id test the difference betwen power or crit/surge.

I'm going heavy Crit and Surge, right now I have 82% crit damage and 34% crit, I gotta say I love the build, my force lightning crits are almost 1k and I notice a huge difference in hardmodes compared to when I was full Lightning. The channel alone helps a ton for interrupting with Jolt, hitting it while channeling interrupts the cast whereas Lightning Strike you have to hit esc or jump first to interrupt.

Kudos.

This is an incredibly effective build

Very very "Do lots of damage" kind of approach

The cc is nice as well.

Frankly though, I kinda shocked that sorc has gotten out of the gates "As Is"

The talents synergize SO WELL:

For example this is just PURE death:

Wraith + Deathmark + Lightning Barrage combination talent

with Creeping Death Crits

on a Crushing Darkness insticast spell

AND (as non-physical damage) it goes right through armor.

I'm amazed that sorc got that combo alone.

With added bonus of

- An insticast CC (Whirlwind)

- Plus an "effective" insticast AOE that goes through armor (wraith/chain lightning)

Yea, ride it while ya can

Cause we is gonna be hit with the nerf bat

- but quick.

I could see this getting over-nerfed, because all of my guildies and friends are QQing about how sorcs do so much damage. Even though a huge portion of it is aoe fluff, while other classes like commandos and gunslingers have ridiculous single target burst that actually matters. But yeah, I could see wrath getting a "once every 10 seconds" limitation like lightning barrage, and maybe even removal of the 20% additional damage :(

This spec will be nerfed. Not because of the damage being too high but because the idea of a talent tree is to gain synergy as you invest in it. Currently madness has too much gain from 13 lightning and nothing to gain from 31 madness. Lightning barrage should be in madness and wrath should be in lightning.

Yes, creeping terror is nice in 1v1 pvp against melee but the extra damage from a lightning barrage will be more beneficial. Especially with the bugged proc system where you can get two spells off with 1 proc if the spell has a cast time or channeled.

This spec will be nerfed. Not because of the damage being too high but because the idea of a talent tree is to gain synergy as you invest in it. Currently madness has too much gain from 13 lightning and nothing to gain from 31 madness. Lightning barrage should be in madness and wrath should be in lightning.

Yes, creeping terror is nice in 1v1 pvp against melee but the extra damage from a lightning barrage will be more beneficial. Especially with the bugged proc system where you can get two spells off with 1 proc if the spell has a cast time or channeled.

Most classes have viable hybrid builds that synergize just as well as this one. Certain talents have been placed at certain levels for certain reasons, and Sorc/Sage talents have been around in this manner for long time in beta.

If anything the 31 point talents in all three trees need to buffed to make them more desirable.

Most classes have viable hybrid builds that synergize just as well as this one. Certain talents have been placed at certain levels for certain reasons, and Sorc/Sage talents have been around in this manner for long time in beta.

If anything the 31 point talents in all three trees need to buffed to make them more desirable.

Yes, a buff to make 31 viable with hybrid would be welcome as well. I just assume they will look at it as not intended and change the trees breaking hybrid builds.

Yes, a buff to make 31 viable with hybrid would be welcome as well. I just assume they will look at it as not intended and change the trees breaking hybrid builds.

From all the feedback that we received in beta, having talents in different trees that synergize with different specs is totally and completely intended and desired.

It also seemed that Bioware understood that "nerfing" is a vicious cycle and their intention were to tweak other classes upward. I don't expect any major changed to any class until at least 2 major patched after level 50 brackets are implemented.

Gave this a try and its now my favorite out of everything I have tried thus far, while it might not mean much my dmg in Wzs has gone from 250kish to over 300k almost every game.

Even had a Voidstar that was almost 500k, with a tank to guard you and healers+ communication this specc just gains power by leaps and bounds.

I would recommend that everyone tries this at some point!

Yes I don't see this being nerfed, but they do need to make the 31 talet point skills more desierable. Thundering Blast does 1003-1115 damage, and has a 2 second cast time, completely useless. Chain Lightning hits harder, and you can cast it instant with wrath procs. So that is 1298-1410 + 20% bonus. Creeping Terror might be alright for 1vs1, but you give up Chain Lightning for it.

Operatives most damaging skill is their 31 point skill in concealment, Hidden Strikes. We need something that's worth going the full 31 points.

BTW I am leveling up artifice and biochem again to get the rakata crit/surge relic and crit/surge adenal, to test if crit/surge is better than power.

First introductions,

I play a Sorc Inq named Stellvia on the pvp server Black Vulkars. I am the guild leader of Midnight Reveries, an endgame pvp/pve guild. I switch between healing (operations) and dps (pvp/heroic fp's). I really like Sorc Inq's, they are a very strong class, and imo the best ranged for pvp/pve. The only class I have an issue with, is a very skilled operative/scoundrel, which I am still working on ways to beat them in a 1 vs 1. Anyways, if you are still reading, here is a guide to my build for pvp/pve.

I'm writing this guide to show how to play the sorc inq class to its fullest potential that I know how. I've messed with every combination that I can think of and this is the best spec that I have found for pvp and pve. I consistently hit 300-500k damage in warzones, while getting 9-11 medals each game. My main focus in warzones is to get as many medals as I can get, more medals = more valor and commendations. If all I did was focus on damage, I would probably hit 700k, I will try it one of these days after I hit valor rank 60.

Here are some screenshots (videos and live stream soon) of some of my warzone games, so you can visually see that my build works and wrecks in pvp. It also works extremely well in pve, I have to use cloud mind all the time to prevent from pulling aggro off the tank.

PVP Stats:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/StellviaPVP.jpg

PVE Stats:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/StellviaPVE.jpg

Voidstar:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/VoidStar1.jpg

Hutt Ball:

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/HuttBall7.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/HuttBall5.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/HuttBall3.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/fathom18/Midnight%20Reveries/HutBall1.jpg

Hybrid Madness/Lightning Spec:

0/13/28

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZcsMzdZcrcRsMkrc.1

Hybrid madness w/ chain lightning build. The goal of this build is all about DOT's (Damage over Time) spells. It works well for single and multi target opponets. You should always use your class advantage, range. I will explain the mains points and why, I won't go over the obvious ones like "Will of Sith - willpower increase."

Madness: 28 points

Opressing Force: This is useful in both pvp and pve, shorter cooldown on electrocute for more cc control, and allows 2 weak or standard targets to be affected by whirlwind.

Madness: Allows you to spam force lighning, your main damaging spell for pvp/pve.

Death Field & Deathmark: Hit 3 targets with an instant damaging spell, and places deathmark on them to which they take an extra 20% damage from your dots.

Haunted Dreams: Instant whirlwind, very useful for a quick escape or freeze someone in a fire/acid pit in Hutball if electrocute is down.

WRATH: Force lightning has a 30% chance to make a skill with an activation time instant + 20% damage to that skill. This is used for Crushing Darkness and Chain Lightning.

Lingering Nightmares: Increases duration of Crushing Darkness by 2 seconds = more damage on target.

Force Horrors: Increases Affliction damage by 15%.

CREEPING DEATH: Increases the critical damage bonus of Death Field and your DOTS by 30%.

Lightning: 13 Points

Lightning Spire: Chain Lightning distance increased by 5 meters.

Exsanguinate: Affliction duration increased by 6 seconds = more damage on target.

CHAIN LIGHTNING: Your hardest hitting spell, damages up to 5 targets in 8 meter radius. I only use this when Wrath is proc'd.

Lightning Barrage: Your affliction crits have 100% chance to proc Lightning Barrage, making your Force Lightning channel twice as fast. When this procs, I can get 2 Force Lightnings to cast in 1.4seconds each, thats a lot of damage.

Rotation:

Single Target:

You open with Force Lightning until Wrath procs > Cast Deathfield w/ Deathmark on target (20% damage increase for DOTS) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness (20% damage bonus from Wrath proc + 20% Bonus from Deathfield w/Deathmark) > Affliction (15% Bonus from Force Horrors + 20% Bonus from Deathfield w/Deathmark) > Force Lightning spam until Wrath procs > Instant cast Chain Lightning (20% damage Bonus from Wrath proc) > Rinse repeat. You can use Force Lightning, an instant Chain Lightning, or Shock to finish someone off that is close to death.

Multiple Targets:

Same rotation as single target, just use your instant chain lightning and deathfield on bunched up groups of enemies, and dot them with affliction if you can. This works well around nodes in all 3 warzones, Huttball middle area, Alderaan nodes, and Void Star blast doors.

Useful Tips:

Extrication can be used to pull a party member to you in Huttball, this can help with quick scoring. You can pull someone over a firepit, or up from the bottom put area to the goal line.

Recklessness is used when I have all my damage cooldown and an instant chain lightning, so I can get a 5k hit medal.

I alternate between Crushing Darkness and Chain Lightning, they don't share a cooldown and one is faster than the other, so I can usually cast both instantly when they are up using Wrath procs.

Try not to waste Wrath procs, if it's up cast Crushing Darkness or Chain Lightning on someone.

I use Jolt to interrupt heals and grav rounds or other high damaging skills.

I use purge to remove negative effects, but I don't like wasting a GCD while fightning.

Forceslow people I'm killing if they try running away.

I use all 3 of my cc abilities, overload, instant whirlwind, and electrocute to either help me win a fight, or run away to safety.

I use forcespeed to run away from melee, chase down someone, or run through a fire/acid pit in Hutball.

I shield myself consistantly, but it shares a cooldown with Death Field, so be careful.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask me in forum pm, or visit my stream http://www.twitch.tv/fathom18, or make a toon on Black Vulkars to pm me.

Let me know what you guys think good or bad please. If you use this guild please post back stating if it worked for you.

a few questions. first which set are you using: mustic or master?

second how is your willpower that high? i'm full champion minus helm(centurion) and the lvl 46 lightsaber with lvl 51 mods. my willpower is 1250.

third are you favoring crit/surge?

a few questions. first which set are you using: mustic or master?

second how is your willpower that high? i'm full champion minus helm(centurion) and the lvl 46 lightsaber with lvl 51 mods. my willpower is 1250.

third are you favoring crit/surge?

1. I am using champion force mystic/master mix set, because I'm also my operations group healer. Force Master's set bonus kinda sucks, but it might help with people having issues with their force with this build. I don't have that issue.

2. I have full champion with weapons and offhand, only piece I'm missing is 1 implant. With my PVE set, I have almost 1900 willpower. I am also using the 120 willpower rakata stim.

3. I am favoring power right now, until I can test out crit/surge. With my +power buffs, I can get 5k crits on Death Field and Chain Lightning.

Yes this build has poor survivability. Great DPS but in 1v1 you ll die often without a very good healer in backup. I play the 13L/28M a lot, i like it but a 23L/18M is far better to survive. 23L/18M is -10/-15% DPS but survivability is probably +50%.

Imo for a lone-wolf sorcerer doing a lot of PvP 23L 18M is great. You ll die less, so you ll probably make more damage in final.

In a good team with healer backup 13L/28M is the way to go.

Edited by armaguedon

Is it that good...? Dmg from death field is the only good thing. Imo build lacks a lot of survivability, sorc is squishy anyway, with that build its even easier kill. No 2/2 static barrier buff? No root on overload?

Read response below. I'll make a note in my original thread that the point between 2/2 static barrier or lightning spire is a personal preference point. I personally prefer the extra reach over 10% shield absorb.

Please look at the screenshots, and look at the kills to death ratio and tell me that I can't survive. I queue just as much solo as I do with premades.

Yes this build has poor survivability. Great DPS but in 1v1 you ll die often without a very good healer. I play it a lot, i like it but a 23L/18M is better to survive. Maybe 10/15% less DPS but survivability is probably +30 to +50%.

Imo for a lone-wolf sorcerer doing a lot of PvP 23 lightning, 18 madness is great.

I do a lot of pvp solo queue, as well as premade groups. This build is pure damage, and I have 1 vs 1 many lvl 50 classes and beaten them, sometimes 2 vs 1. I dominate the charts 95% of the time with this build in solo queue and premade groups. You just have to know how to play the class properly.

23L/18M does not give you 30-50% more survivability. Half the time the extra 2 cc's won't affect the target cause they have a full resolve bar, or they have a gap closer. You gain maybe an extra 5s to live if someone is really going after you. I'd rather hit them hard and leave them with DOT's if I'm going to die.

I'm only level 12. What should my rotation be now? And at what minimum level will I be able to use the rotation in this guide to melt faces?

Hello and thanks for looking into this thread. Unfortunately, this build and rotation is only really good for lvl 40+. For you I would stick with the corruption tree for warzones and heal your team mates. At lvl 12 you lack skill tree points, and I often see low lvl sorcs no where near the 75k damage medal. Healing in warzones is the best thing you can do, it might make or break a warzone match if you keep the higher lvls up, vs your damage will have very little impact on a match. It will also be good for pve, questing and such. You and your companion will breeze through the levels. I was the first lvl 50 inq on my server, and I lvled up to 50 using corruption.

IF you really want to go dps, start up the lightning tree first up to 13 points, then work on madness tree. Hope this helps.