Top 10 criticisms of SW:TOR with responses

Samaul

1. Bad or cartoon-y looking graphics.

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

3. No open world. I dont like exhaustion or boundaries.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

5. No x-server warzone finder.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

7. Companion crafting and gathering.

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

9. SW:TOR is not a true MMORPG.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

10. SW:TOR is buggy.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

Edited by Samaul

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/agree

TOR is the most polished MMO I have played by quite a long shot, especially for a very large release with thousands of hours of voice acting. The occasional typo, dc (first one the other day after 3 weeks) or quest bug != broken, rubbish game.

2. Linear storyline.

> All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

90% of the decisions you make has no effect on the outcome whatsoever. Fact.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

In WoW it's only the oceans that do that. Here we have invisible walls EVERYWHERE. Don't try to justify this, because you can't and nobody else can.

10. SW:TOR is buggy.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

Bioware coders and programmers seem to be mediocre at best. You as a software developer should know that.

yeap, agreed, specially on that programing stuff of witch i got no clue about :D

but friends that do, keeps reminding me, to many ppl think bug fixing is just a flick of a switch if its a mob spawn or its mechanics of a boss, for them its the same, and im 100% that its not.

Bioware coders and programmers seem to be mediocre at best. You as a software developer should know that.

Boundaries are part of the game. Boundaries are there by design. If you dont like the game, dont play it.

BioWares programmers are mediocre?

Prove it, start your own game development company and do it better. Put up or shut up:cool:

These aren't the main complaints and I don't agree with your explanations.

One I would like to tackle though.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavio

Marked the first issue, why can't the tool just be global?

In fact why not allow people to put themselves in queue for a flash point with this tool.

A lot of my class quests require me to travel to low level zones so I can't queue for anything or look for people.

I find myself sometimes going to the space station , LFG can't find than go to two different planets for my level to look around.

Ask in general just to do a flash point, I don't think this tool is nice at all or social.

As for the LFG tool well if it is all with in the server people can police it them selves as well.

I end up in an instance with people I don't know, same ones I meet through the other LFG channel except it's less loading screens and much more convenient.

If I want to go to a flash point I feel like playing, I am not trying to be a conversationalist.

Also take into account not every one plays on a full server or during peak times so finding a group with out that tool can be pretty rough.

In my opinion it can be done better so well I would like a LFG tool , maybe not how WOW has it but certainty not this.

I think a shard only LFG tool is a great idea with some tweaks.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Good post.

Beware, the anti-SWTOR brigade might be offended that someone likes the game.

Every good article shows both positive and negative aspects. This article does not. Everyone here will agree to this game being good enough to pay money for. But also that there are negative points to it.

Because this article does not elaborate negative points or does only try to attack the creditibility of those mentioning them: Its just another brainless post that will only cause more "No, its pure crap" answers.

These aren't the main complaints and I don't agree with your explanations.

One I would like to tackle though.

Marked the first issue, why can't the tool just be global?

In fact why not allow people to put themselves under an flash point?

A lot of my class quests require me to travel to low level zones so I can't queue for anything.

I find myself sometimes going to the space station , LFG can't find than go to two different planets for my level to look around.

Ask in general just to do a flash point, I don't think this tool is nice at all or social.

As for the LFG tool well if it is all with in the server people can police it them selves as well.

I end up in an instance with people I don't know, same ones I meet through the other LFG channel except it's less loading screens and much more convenient.

If I want to go to a flash point I feel like playing, I am not trying to be a conversationalist.

I think a shard only LFG tool is a great idea.

Why cant there be a server-wide LFG tool?

Very likely because it would cause massive server lag and because the heroics and flashpoints are storyline and level based. It will likely be much easier to find a group when most players are 50. I am skeptical of a server-wide LFG tool. I could live with one that is zone or level based.

These are far from top criticisms of Swtor.

FPS problems, no option to turn of smart camera, loosing a lot dmg and the "good feeling" due to animation/ability inconsistencies, problems with the targeting system and resolvebar problems are gamebreaking. They must be fixed very soon or I fear for Swtor.

Then how come they are still releasing patches after two weeks in? Just look around in the gaming market. There is not one single title being released with such a big list of things to be fixed. This sucks. Blah blah uninformed WoW Reference.

</sarcasm>

Hats off to OP - this should be sticky. And OP should add more counter arguments provided by thread readers.

With the current LFG tool system it would work if they allow you to queue for specific things.

I also think it isn't all that fun and social that I need to hang around the space station (stressing the server) to find a group at 50.

It's pretty dull but that's me.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Every good article shows both positive and negative aspects. This article does not. Everyone here will agree to this game being good enough to pay money for. But also that there are negative points to it.

Because this article does not elaborate negative points or does only try to attack the creditibility of those mentioning them: Its just another brainless post that will only cause more "No, its pure crap" answers.

Please elaborate for us. Remember that most of what the trolls, flamera and haters qq about can be summed up as

1. I dont like the game as it was designed, change it so that I will like it.

2. Give me what I want or I will rage-quit.

3. Calling features that they dont like or are lacking "bugs" when they are there either by deliberate omission or design.

4. SW:TOR is not WoW, make it like WoW.

I honestly think that most of the loudest trolls, haters and flamers are dishonest and are deliberately trying to destroy the game for nefarious reasons. Again, if you dont like the way the game is designed, address your concerns to BioWare and Lucas Arts. If you plan to keep playing the game, accept that the fundamental design of the game will not change and move on.

Edited by Samaul

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

[/i]

In response to 3. Minecraft goes on forever. EVE online another MMO, also pretty much has real space that you can fly around a single solar system for months and not cross it.

In response to 6. Accept i can't take my space ship over that invisible wall in front of me.

BioWares programmers are mediocre?

Prove it, start your own game development company and do it better. Put up or shut up:cool:

I don't mean to be captain bringdown here, but you're the one who made the initial claim, that bioware is an above average company, coding wise, and only cited that you know as evidence (fallacy of argument from authority) it is your burden, actually, to provide evidence that bioware is an above-average software developwer within the scope of "how many bugs" their games have at launch.

Otherwise, the statement may be dismissed without any evidence, as this poster has retorted.

Disclaimer: i like the game, i just noticed some fallacious argument there.

In WoW it's only the oceans that do that. Here we have invisible walls EVERYWHERE. Don't try to justify this, because you can't and nobody else can.

Yeah right, WoW is totally boundary free except for oceans, it's not like most zones in WoW (which the average size of is much smaller than Taris btw) is artificially walled of by mountan's and the only way to get between them is a small artificial passageway (without flying mounts that is), which would be impossible in SWTOR since the "Zones" are planets.

Edited by WereMops

The way your post is written is immediately defensive and arrogant in its tone. Clearly written by someone who is tired of hearing negativity about a game they clearly love.

You're a fanboy. It's ok. I get it. I've been there.

Unfortunately, in composing your responses to the criticisms as you have, you've left yourself wide open to attack from those who have a different perspective and opinion.

I don't mean to be captain bringdown here, but you're the one who made the initial claim, that bioware is an above average company, coding wise, and only cited that you know as evidence (fallacy of argument from authority) it is your burden, actually, to provide evidence that bioware is an above-average software developwer within the scope of "how many bugs" their games have at launch.

Otherwise, the statement may be dismissed without any evidence, as this poster has retorted.

Disclaimer: i like the game, i just noticed some fallacious argument there.

I have had one BSOD since open beta. I have not had a single CTD since early access. I have never had a queue nor experienced significant lag on my server. I have never gotten into a situation where I could not continue to progress my character through the storyline nore has anyone in my guild.