you're missing the point of staggered launch

reofjsof

The point is that they can minimize the number of people exposed to serious bugs/server problems. They do this by adding a wave, seeing the results, and proceeding from there.

If they let everyone play at once, a lot more people would be angry when they encounter a problem.

As an example, there's apparently this bug with XP in PvP instances. People are leveling up very fast by joining empty battles. Bioware is going to have to fix the problem and possibly roll back peoples' levels. If everyone who preordered was playing right now, the complaints would be deafening. There would be people threatening to quit because of "cheaters" already at the level cap, and those "cheaters" would be outraged if/when Bioware lowers their level.

Just from this example you can see the merits of a staggered launch; there are a lot fewer people exposed to a gamebreaking bug.

Just for the record, I preordered in mid-late November, so I probably won't get access until the last day (if that).

Edited by reofjsof

They could stagger every 2 hours for 24 hours though. Instead of only allowing 5 freaking waves. Five waves was not enough, and it is a spit in the face to anyone that didn't get in today.

I for one would have loved to have queues and lag compared to this pile of poo they rolled out today.

I believe that's what the beta was for. The staggered launch is to ensure server integrity. Presumably.

since there's a game breaking bug that's already been discovered and exploited, you have to at least agree that staggering the launch has paid off to some extent

ideally every single bug will be found in beta; in reality that's never going to happen

the number of individuals that would be upset over a bug or small issues is going to be far lesser then those that are upset at the staggered launch

I don't think so

I'd be extremely pissed off if I was leveling up by doing quests as intended, while other people are nearing the cap by spam queuing empty PvP instances

I've said it before, its all about money. Staggered launch means you only add more servers (which cost $$) based on real-time demand. The other option is you estimate demand prior to launch and use that estimate to establish the number of servers you launch with. This could result in two outcomes: a) you overestimated demand and therefore over purchased the hardware for servers (and wasted money), or b) you underestimated demand and purchased too few servers resulting in queues. B is easily rectified by adding more servers in a day or three. A represent a hit against your bottom line. To avoid A or B, and at the expense of some customer satisfaction, BioWare opted to stagger access to the launch. It's all about the Benjamines. Edited by Godzillamax

Actually, the only thing about the launch that I find irritating is that I do not know when I will be getting access. I didn't link my early access code until Nov 9th. So am I looking at Friday, this weekend, or Monday?

Hell, even if I found out I was able to get in tomorrow, I'd still be irritated. I'm fine with having to wait until its my turn. I'm not fine with not knowing until it happens.

The point is that they can minimize the number of people exposed to serious bugs/server problems. They do this by adding a wave, seeing the results, and proceeding from there.

If they let everyone play at once, a lot more people would be angry when they encounter a problem.

As an example, there's apparently this bug with XP in PvP instances. People are leveling up very fast by joining empty battles. Bioware is going to have to fix the problem and possibly roll back peoples' levels. If everyone who preordered was playing right now, the complaints would be deafening. There would be people threatening to quit because of "cheaters" already at the level cap, and those "cheaters" would be outraged if/when Bioware lowers their level.

Just from this example you can see the merits of a staggered launch; there are a lot fewer people exposed to a gamebreaking bug.

Just for the record, I preordered in mid-late November, so I probably won't get access until the last day (if that).

My bet is you'll be on by fri. tomorrow they're adding more people than they did today, thur. is the same, by then most will be on, by fri. i'm betting almost everyone will be on.

since there's a game breaking bug that's already been discovered and exploited, you have to at least agree that staggering the launch has paid off to some extent

ideally every single bug will be found in beta; in reality that's never going to happen

I suppose you can say that.

The point of EGA is to make less people angry with bugs?

That's a new one. The real reason is to calm the server load. Bioware has said as much.

I mentioned server problems in the OP. I'm using a bug as an example, because there have been bugs, but not server problems

Sorry but this isn't the first MMO launch or prelaunch but it's the worst I've seen in implemented by far. Kiss server firsts and your name you wanted goodbye along with playing with your friends. Also enjoy leveling while those with earlier access relentlessly gank you. GG Bioware.

No that's the point of beta.

Actually, the only thing about the launch that I find irritating is that I do not know when I will be getting access. I didn't link my early access code until Nov 9th. So am I looking at Friday, this weekend, or Monday?

Hell, even if I found out I was able to get in tomorrow, I'd still be irritated. I'm fine with having to wait until its my turn. I'm not fine with not knowing until it happens.

They don't want to promise something to you and then take it away which would be worse wouldn't it? My guess is that pretty much everyone will be on by fri., heck most will be in by Thur.