Free To Play For Solo/Story, Pay 15/Month For "MMO Features" — Everybody Wins

Shadysketchy

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you played through to 50? Good luck soloing. What a derp thread.

I agree :/

This game is heavily group based, the only parts you can do solo are class quests and "leveling" quests. At end game everything is group focused.

There is no chance that TOR will go free to play, so stop dreaming. They have far to many subscriptions already.

Have you played through to 50? Good luck soloing. What a derp thread.

Yes, as you can see in my signature, I hit level 50 on December/22/2011

As for "Good luck soloing", I did the leveling entirely solo, past level 20; because every Planet I was on had about 2-4 other people on it at the same time as me

Edited by Shadysketchy

As for "Good luck soloing", I did the leveling entirely solo, past level 20; because every Planet I was one had about 2-4 other people on it at the same time as me

That's kinda what happens when you rocket to max level two days after launch in a game were the vast majority are going to take it slow because there's an actual story to experience. Don't blame the game on your own short sighted mistakes.

So far I love the game,but if it ever go f2p I will quit.I will never play a f2p mmo....ever!

Imo f2p mmo's are for kids.

I love TOR but I'd probably stop playing if it went f2p too. I don't think f2p mmos are for kids and I've played a few myself but I hate the idea of paying to win (aka buying gear) and having to buy access to classes, dungeons and the like.

I'm 39 since the 16th of december, have played pretty solid, took time off for christmas, and have been sick the last 4 days and haven't really felt like doing anything other than watching movies. However, done nearly every solo mission, haven't done many of the group missions, but focusing on the story this time through, and I've loved that single player aspect. So far for 60 box I got my monies worth. Beta tested the game too and had fun then too. Not saying it doesn't have it's problems, but no more than any other game really. Storyline/sidemissions, if you are going through and not skipping by the content this is a 60-80 hour game easy. Final Fantasy 7 style length which to me is wayyyy more content than 95% of the games on the market. Free to play for 30 days you got. Plenty of time to finish up, and move on to your next game. 15 box a month. I might delay mine and come back later when the mmo side is more developed, or I might just continue on through another storyline.

I'm having fun with it bottom line. It wasn't built as a 60 dollar solo game, it was built as a 60+ mmo. and if you have played mmos in the past you'd know that most require development time after launch. Lets wait past this holiday break thats just ending and see what happens through to the 20th of january. Will it be on the path to expanding that MMO content? Who knows but we owe them that much. If you rushed through, thats your problem, and you missed a pretty good story. After all that is what Bioware is good at, they are still new at the MMo thing, but so were blizzard, ccp, and 989 when they first set out too, and they also had problems. These companies aren't in the business of helping each other out, so it's up to each one to learn on their own.

That's kinda what happens when you rocket to max level two days after launch in a game were the vast majority are going to take it slow because there's an actual story to experience. Don't blame the game on your own short sighted mistakes.

I'm not blaming the game for anything, I was simply responding to his post; telling him that leveling solo 1-50 is actually quite easy

Except for the fact there's going to be patches and in all likelihood, expansions. First, let's just get one thing out of the way: It's not going to happen. Secondly, any MMO can really become a single player game. You can quest all the way up in WoW, Rift, or what have you. Thirdly, the only thing that makes SWTOR feel more like a single player game is how story based it is and how it is told. Lastly, you're trying to create a discussion where you're trying to forbid people talking about the core issue. Is this really a single player experience?

TL;DR: Make your case as to why it's a single player experience or get off my game.

I would think about quitting if it went f2p(or pay to win)

But I would have to cross that bridge when/if it happens.

A hybrid model would be better imo (like cryptic s startrek) where it is only vanity items (even thou cryptic kind of lost the path when they started selling ships and what not)

BUt yeah, honestly I think they will keep the payed subscriptions.

I mean they have not launched this game world wide yet and will be interesting if they will release it in Asia and the sub count then.

Except for the fact there's going to be patches and in all likelihood, expansions. First, let's just get one thing out of the way: It's not going to happen. Secondly, any MMO can really become a single player game. You can quest all the way up in WoW, Rift, or what have you. Thirdly, the only thing that makes SWTOR feel more like a single player game is how story based it is and how it is told. Lastly, you're trying to create a discussion where you're trying to forbid people talking about the core issue. Is this really a single player experience?

TL;DR: Make your case as to why it's a single player experience or get off my game.

It's a single player game, because half of the game is talking to NPCs

And you can talk to those NPCs while grouped with actual people and have a multiplayer conversation. Try again.

Edit: And the game actually rewards you for this. It's incentivized.

Edited by princey

Yet there is plenty of group content to tackle.

Your case is very thin on actual evidence.

If you're so confident that SWTOR is an MMO, then why does my idea bother you?

With your logic, surely only a handful of people would choose the free option; as the vast majority of the playerbase agrees with you, that the "MMO Features" in SWTOR are equal than, or greater to the MMO Features in other competing MMORPGs

So I guess WoW's single player? And Rift? And EVE? And Aion and Lineage and Final Fantasy XI and AoC and Warhammer and every MMO I can think of off the top of my head?

I'm not blaming the game for anything, I was simply responding to his post; telling him that leveling solo 1-50 is actually quite easy

To be precise I'll quote your post again...

As for "Good luck soloing", I did the leveling entirely solo, past level 20; because every Planet I was on had about 2-4 other people on it at the same time as me

Your insinuation which supports your "it's a single player game" argument, however wrong it is, didn't escape me. Try harder. :D

And you can talk to those NPCs while grouped with actual people and have a multiplayer conversation. Try again.

Edit: And the game actually rewards you for this. It's incentivized.

Me and my friend did this, but we ended up just spacebarring through everything after the first conversation, because we were talking over the NPCs on Skype anyway

With your logic, surely only a handful of people would choose the free option; as the vast majority of the playerbase agrees with you, that the "MMO Features" in SWTOR are equal than, or greater to the MMO Features in other competing MMORPGs

If you must know why it bugs me, it's because my pet peeve is people who make fallacious statements for no other reason than to suit their agendas. It's not so much defending the game as it is pointing out you're not good at the whole logical thinking thing.

Me and my friend did this, but we ended up just spacebarring through everything after the first conversation, because we were talking over the NPCs on Skype anyway

Your fault, not the games. And on another note, by your logic, EQ would have been the biggest single player MMO of them all. Over there you had to actually TYPE to the NPCs.

It doesn't bother me particularly, I just don't like to see people spreading false information over the web. It gives newer players or potential customers the wrong idea.

You somehow seem set on ruining this game with all your nonsense ideas, negative threads and biased opinions.

In terms of choosing the 'free' option, there is NO option to do that. You either pay for all, or you get nothing. This isn't some 'build your own' MMO experience where you can pick and choose what you want to pay for.

I've been playing MMOs for years, but I've never expected to be able to pay less because I'm not raiding, or because I don't fancy doing PvP, or because achievements are something that I couldn't give a stuff about.

If you want to play this game, you pay the sub, otherwise you leave. It's that simple.