The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

There's a valid reason why people are upset...

Esaru

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

You make a good point.

But not everyone is complaining for the reason you stated. I have seen a lot of, "My friends are leveling without me!" or, "I am going to be behind in PvP!" or, "People are playing and I am not, NO FAIR!"

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StephenReid General Discussion -> BW's 9-5 job while the world waits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muglor

They show up at regular working times, do their jobs...let a few people in to play the game, and then they go home after 8 hours....a 9-5 job.

For the record...

The Live Services team is working in shifts (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for the next month to ensure that servers stay up, player population is well managed, issues are triaged, problems are communicated and bugs are fixed as fast as possible.

After that, we're on-call 24/7 for the life of the game.

Edited by darknesslives

This was also the point i wanted to get across. IF servers were full and under heavy load i would understand why they stopped adding people but most are at standard and they have servers on stand by. I just don't find that acceptable. Regardless i will give it a couple days and go from there. See if bioware learned from their mistakes or not.

There certainly has to be a reason they've done it this way. No company would intentionally upset thier customers. No matter how you word it...you're just upset that u haven't got in. End of story. On that note. I hope half these people complaining are on thier "other/alt" accounts. Because i see a lot of you with December join dates. Even if they loaded as many as possible to the point of server crash. Did u really expect to get in on day one when/if u joined same month as launch?

Ps. No I havent got EGA yet.

I'm not upset as I've already stated in this thread. I have university finals until the 16th so I can't really play anyway

at 2 pm you realize it isnt american prime time, large groups of people will be getting on after 5pm est- after 5pm pst. the server loads arent going to hit max players during the daytime. its a weekday and at least some people have jobs, and arent sponges.

they are rolling out 7 days early and you feel you have a right to scream foul, when people are getting in SOONER then the UP TO 5 days pre order was saying?

someone is just miffed that they dont get to play when someone else who got on the bandwagon sooner then they did gets rewarded.

20-5=15, today = 13, get over it.

StephenReid General Discussion -> BW's 9-5 job while the world waits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muglor

They show up at regular working times, do their jobs...let a few people in to play the game, and then they go home after 8 hours....a 9-5 job.

For the record...

The Live Services team is working in shifts (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for the next month to ensure that servers stay up, player population is well managed, issues are triaged, problems are communicated and bugs are fixed as fast as possible.

After that, we're on-call 24/7 for the life of the game.

9-5 you say, well then they finished work early yesterday at 2:00pm

You dont know what they are doing, and there isnt a valid reason to be upset, it was up to 5 days early start and now its 7. People are just whining for no good reason, its a couple of days for gods sake, suck it up.

This isn't the issue, people don't care about their time of entry in to the game versus the release date, or when Bioware said they would be allowed in. They care about their time of entry versus everybody else that has been in the game for more than 14 hours now. People who will be able to level up, gear up, and top off craft skills before some of us even get in the game.

Economy and to some extent PvP play a large part of these games, especially on PvP servers. Giving such a small number of people such a massive advantage (yes 24 hours is pretty massive in MMO economy standards) sucks ***. It ruins the economy for months and allows those lucky enough to be in on the first day to make huge amounts of money at other peoples expenses.

If you have never pulled an all nighter the day of or day after a new expansion release of WoW, I suggest you try it to see what I'm talking about. This is the reason Blizzard didn't allow people in eastern time zones to sign in the night of an expansion release until 3:00 am, even though they can get the game 3 hours before western time zone people. In most MMOs it is kind of a big deal.

Learn what most of the complaints are before spewing nonsense.

Ummm where none of you in the beta testing weekend? When there was only a handful of servers that were overcrowded, laggy, and crashing half the time. There are a lot of servers because they have almost 1 million pre orders, rather have them online now than try to scramble to bring them online when the other servers are already at max capacity.

They have obviously analyzed the number of people they expect over the early access period and adjusted the total number of servers according.

Or TLDR Its the first day of early access and each server will get more and more fill with each day.

Logic goes like this, son:

This is what you agreed to in advance.

Now you want to change the agreement because you're unhappy, impatient, and immature.

That's the issue there. There is no other.

What I agreed to in advance?

When I pre-ordered, there wasn't a time period when it would start or how long we would get. It simply said, I would get to play early based on when I entered my pre-order code. Did I agree to playing early? haha.. yea

Later, they announced the staggered launch plan

Later still, they announced that it would be up to 5 days early.

Even later still, they announced that they were adding 2 days to early access.

Sure, I agreed to all of this by pre-ordering ahead of time. I knew I wasn't going to get in on the first day, or maybe even the second day.

I am not unhappy, I am not impatient, I am very immature... but not when it comes to stuff like this. I'm not asking to change the agreement in any way (btw, how you deduced that in my 2 sentences is beyond me). I just want valid information, is that too much to ask?

Edited by Turst

:rolleyes: I'm sure there are reasons that us non-game developers don't understand.

Perceiving we as consumers know how to best engineer a massive software launch is arrogant and naive at the same time.

Come on people...

I'm not sure I ever implied that I did

I knew this would happen. A few weeks back I said that the SWTOR Forums will be very bad during EGA and I expect them to stay like this for quite a while.

I honestly don't agree with the people complaining and it's not because I'm an EA or Bioware Fanboy (quite the contrary actually as DA2 was a disaster in my eyes and SWTOR is the first great game Bioware did in a while).

But what we see know is exactly what EA/Bioware said. They want a smooth start, so they do a staggered launch to avoid overcrowded starting zones.

I'm pretty sure if they would let more people in for the server to go high load people would complain as well, because of overcrowded starting zones.

I pre-ordered in September and I expect to be able to join EGA on Friday at best.

EDIT: Oh and the reason why they don't give us more info on when the waves are and how many people get in and when we can expect to get in, is because they simply don't know themselves.

Could it be that they let too few people in today? Maybe. Will the waves tomorrow be bigger? Maybe.

Do I care? No.

Eventually I'll get in. I just won't get upset about a game and will continue to play APB Reloaded till then.

Edited by ZappoBrox

i think what some people need to understand is that EGA isn't just so you can ruin your life 5 days earlier. It's so Dec 20th doesn't crash there servers hardcore as 1 million people try to log on at the same time.

But see if they only let in 100k the first day, and 500k the third, well then by the time they find the problem at 1million connections, they have sat on their hands when they could have been preparing a fix, not saying that is going to happen, but it just seems logical to me to prepare for the worst instead of expecting the best outcome.

I agree with JusTed's assessment, especially concerning the "moving the goalposts" logical fallacy. That's exactly what all these rage threads are demonstrating.

BW and EA stated that early access begins on December 15. That's your goalpost.

Then they decide to allow an additional two days access and start granting access on December 13. Now the goalpost is moved, December 15 isn't good enough and letting "me" in December 13/more waves/maxing our the server populations are demanded.

Instead of the mature perspective of "wow, I might get an extra day on top of the five days I wasn't even guaranteed to get in the first place, cool!" - the entitlement crowd shouts a variation of:

Why can't they cater to my individual work schedule;

I should have gotten in by now;

Just because I don't know when my access is coming this is the worst launch ever; and/or

BW sucks and is a sellout and this is a money grab to ensure pre-orders.

I've been through the launch day, servers crashing for 12 hours, this was a wasted vacation day thing with other MMO's. I pre-ordered in September, planned for up to 5 days and will enjoy the server stability that this staggered invite schedule will bring.

This is a rage thread? Are you serious? lol

no rage here, bro. and none in my OP

And do you honestly believe for one second that they gave us 2 days out of the kindness of their hearts? It was probably because they knew they would NEVER get all the pre-orders in before launch.

It's not because of staggered access. We all knew it was going to be like this. We just didn't know how. And now that we're seeing how it's playing out, it's not surprising people are angry.

Bioware finished their fifth wave of invites at 2pm today. Not only is this obscenely early, but none of the servers are even close to being near any sort of 'stress test' point. 95% of them are light and standard.

THIS is why people are mad. Again, not because it's staggered access - um hello, we knew that already. It's because Bioware simply did not do enough to bring in as many people as they could. Instead they've pussyfooted around and are playing it WAY too safe in my opinion. The servers right now are practically DEAD because there's not enough people there. This potentially bodes that the whole head-start process is going to be extremely slow-going, with the possibility of not even having everyone in by release. I'm honestly not surprised this doesn't rub people the right way. There's no reason it should

Yeah.. when they were initially doing the waves.. all the servers showed High and Full Pop.. and people complained. Now the servers show Light and Standard and people complain.

Chill out. We'll get in when we get in.

It'sonly the 13th not the 15th, it's only the 13th not the 15th, it's only the 13th not the 15th,

it's only the 13th not the 15th, it's only the 13th not the 15th, it's only the 13th not the 15th,it's only the 13th not the 15th it's only the 13th not the 15thit's only the 13th not the 15thit's only the 13th not the 15thit's only the 13th not the 15thit's only the 13th not the 15th

When the 15th comes around and passes us by, then you guys can get worried and angry, what BW is doing is under promising and over delivering, by fri. most if not all pre-orders will be online playing in SWTOR.

They did this so that most everyone can get their 5 days and make sure the servers are stable in the long run and ready for the 20th.

People who will be able to level up, gear up, and top off craft skills before some of us even get in the game.

Now you're just being dramatic. Even if it was true, okay...some one reached level 50 before you, so what? Why does it matter?

20 people in the Republic Fleet on my server right now, the highest level is 20.

Economy and to some extent PvP play a large part of these games, especially on PvP servers. Giving such a small number of people such a massive advantage (yes 24 hours is pretty massive in MMO economy standards) sucks ***. It ruins the economy for months and allows those lucky enough to be in on the first day to make huge amounts of money at other peoples expenses.

Supply and demand. Sure people can through items up on the GTN if they want to, but there is hardly anyone on the servers and the ones that are, are broke.

Game economies are built over time, not overnight.

Edited by Posiden

I think the point that everyone is missing is that this didn't need to happen at all. Communication on BW's part coupled with a decent pace to the wave system and there would be little to no QQ. Please stop with the launch is on the 20th garbage. The game HAS launched people are playing on live servers.