The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Overall game population, do you guys think the game will last?

Sech

Keep in mind that at least some eprcentage of these forum posts are from people who have a vested interest in other games, and some are from people who got frustrated with the game for one reason or another and feel that this is the only way to get back at the game.

Look at games like EQ, DAOC, Asherons call2, etc. that are STILL going, servers are still up and new content is still being made for these games.

Just because a game has a low population, and only a few servers doesnt mean that the game is dead. Also, only a small percentage of the players in the game read the forums, let alone post on them, so you only see the small minority here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will last a few years until people just get sick of it. And I hate to compare every MMO to WoW, but I don't think this game will last as long as that game.

That is pretty illogical or wishful thinking considering that many MMO's have lasted as long if not longer than WoW.

I think the game has a long furture but it will not be a hardcore Raiders game.

This game is going to be just fine. I'm willing to wager the subscription numbers will grow, not stagnate or shrink, in the months and years to come. Honestly think this is the best MMO to come out in recent years, and its the only one that interest me enough to leave WoW.

That is pretty illogical or wishful thinking considering that many MMO's have lasted as long if not longer than WoW.

I think the game has a long furture but it will not be a hardcore Raiders game.

This is much too early to tell. If they can get macros and Addons in, then the game can really start to become a raiders game at endgame and a non-raiders game everywhere else (including some at endgame too since they seem committed to multiple gear paths)

This game will be fine and its been long over due for Star Wars fans because most have been crappy. This game has bugs but its was expected by the common thinking MMO player. The player base will eventually lead it in the right direction of what they want just like what WoW players did. This game has a lot of great features and BioWARE did a great job. I am having a blast in game and its all my friends at work talk about the only problem I am having is getting my six year old son off his bounty hunter so I can play.

I haven t launched the game for 4 days and do not plan until they implement:

- Search on auction house

- Search on the forums

- Proper not-on-rails space combats

- Premades fighting premades

- A real ship able to move around instead of an instanced room

I know this may not be interesting to you but this is what I wanted and expected to get. I didn t so until it is available I ll play something else. The awful forums should have told me to hold on the initial purchase but I was hoping they would seriously upgrade the forums...never happened and I don t see them being able to tweak vbulletin enough to make a difference.

I ll be back in 6 months...if the game still exist

I doubt this game is going away anytime soon. Will it be the next WoW? I don't think there'll be another WoW, honestly. Even WoW is no longer WoW.

The economy is rougher than it used to be, and the playerbase is more jaded. But it's done well out of the gate and seems to make a good impression for a good long while, as opposed to games like AoC and Warhammer Online, which made good first impressions, then fell on their faces once the playerbase advanced a little bit.

There is the mistake many make when comparing SWTOR to WoW in 2004. Any MMO developer that wishes to release in 2011/12 goes head to head with WoW 2011/12, like it or not. Thats the deal. It is pointless comparing anything released in this day and age to a game that was released 7 years ago.

Did Blizzard in 2004 have that extra 7 years of hindsight, new developments, the $300million budget (they had about $60m), an incredibly successful MMO like WoW to study, new technology? The answer to that is no they didn't.

Firstly - I agree that comparing to WoW 2004 is bad, however it's also the paradox of the game development.

You can't launch a game with all the features of a game that's been alive for 7 years. It's impossible. However people are impatient now. They rush to the end-game, they demand more and more of their desires being met - even when some/many of them are conflicting. And then sit on a forum in hindsight without any personal stake what so ever and do this.

So while TOR is up against WoW anno 2012 and not 2004 - it's also impossible for it to contain the same without having the same 'life' and therefore Bioware have to do things their ways and players then have to decide to support it or not.

But that's why we as players can choose which game we play. Some want WoW 2012 - and then for them there's WoW 2012. Some want something else altogether, but well - the choice still exists for them.

And BTW, TOR didn't have 300 million budget. That was just some random person ranting on a blog claiming that and for some reason people have been hung up on that when complaining about the game ever since. And if you think Bioware didn't 'study' WoW, as well as SWG, DAoC, Rift, Warhammer, AoC etc - then you're naive.

Edited by xandax

Just realize two simple things:

1) The forums search and the auction house search have been purposefully turned off because they throw too much strain on the hardware.

2) The website puts you in a queue to read a webpage

Both these points are because the website team is using the wrong tool for their needs. An outdated forum software unable to handle strong load. Mysql is not the problem here nor is the large amount of users. Facebook uses the exact same database but has a much better load balancing and server config than swtor's.

Because of that fact it is apparent that the webteam is not on par with 2011 technologies or available tools to solve these issues. Their team has used vbulletin during beta for the last 3 or 4 years and now they pushed themselves in a corner...same thing with the heroengine.

This leads me to conclude that we will not see any search soon OR that search will be turned back on when enough people will NOT be coming to the forums anymore or stop stressing the game's servers. Do you undestand what they are saying?

They are saying that only when less players play the game or visit the forums will they bring these features online...

What do you guys think?

Do you think subs will plummet after a month or two and we'll be looking at the next Rift, AOC, or Warhammer?

Do you think BW will fix all the problems?

Do you think subs will continue to go up?

Are you worried?

Is there anywhere I can see all of the current sub numbers, possibly in a graph like you can find on WoW?

Discuss.

I think that most people here did never play an MMO before WOTLK or Cata. It is sad that people dislike pretty much every good feature which does lead to a healthy community, like no addons, no LFG, no Dualspecs etc.

For some reason I have the feeling that many people here are taking a break of wow until the Panda arrive and now they do expect to have the exact same game experience like there, just with different story.

AoC, Warhammer had buggy clients which made the game a torture to play for a longer while. I did play both games for 2 months, gave the puplishers time but if you still crash almost every hour once, the community must develop tools so you can actually play a bit then those games are a waste of time.

Today AoC is a very nice game and does make a lot of fun, unfortunately hardly anyone plays it and the F2P option does ruin the game for me, as so those who put in 100$ a month will have more of the game than I who does put 13$.

SWTOR could in 2 or 3 months have a nice little community that works. I dont want it to be another wow, wow was fun in vanilla and tbc but after that it suffered by its own fame. Childish people do play it, childish content is delivered and a community does not exist anymore.

Atm I am a bit worried that BW does indeed follow the path of wow and does add such deadly tools like recount, LFG auto tool or Dual spec. If they do I will most likely leave, as I saw a good MMO go down the pipe because of it and I dont want to see it happen again.

Future will tell which side will win. Either those with no MMO experience except wow who want all those deadly tools, or those who got a big MMO history including ultima and do know that things like LFG tool, addons etc. should not be in an MMO.

While It might be true that the wow population at SWTOR is a bit more, its not them who do play SWTOR forever. As soon the Panda´s come out, they will be gone - those who like SWTOR for what it currently is, will not go to see the Panda´s.

Edited by RachelAnne

[quote=PibbyPib;972444

But it's done well out of the gate and seems to make a good impression for a good long while, as opposed to games like AoC and Warhammer Online, which made good first impressions, then fell on their faces once the playerbase advanced a little bit.

I think the same applies to this game. As long as the leveling magic is gone I am afraid that people will focus on the problems and not the cut-scenes :(