DataCrons, Jumping and Platforming...why its terrible...

Lokai

I'm not a huge fan of platforming in an MMO, but with that said, I have ALL of the datacrons (aside from the +10 to all stats one on the fleet) and I didn't experience any lag in jumping.

The only frustration I had whilst collecting the datacrons was the typical mechanics involved in jumping in MMO's (bad clipping etc).

Tips for jumping when finding datacrons:

• Make sure you have decent fps (30+). Use Ctrl+Shift+F to see your current Fps. Performance issues when trying to time a jump can be a killer (quite literally).
  • Disabling Sprint can give you more control when timing your jump.
  • Not everywhere is a good place to use your speeder to do the jumping.
  • Set your zoom out distance to max, so you can look at the jump from different angles and perfect your positioning (sometimes looking vertically over your char helps).

Just to add a little to this:

• *Dismiss your companion. They all have a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and it's nice to remove that distraction.
    *Get nekkid :) I spent 45 minutes trying to jump onto some wall mounted object to get the Black Sun Territory datacron last night. I could see that I was jumping high enough but the clipping on the wall object was preventing me from landing correctly. I removed all my clothing (and that of my character's:p) and VOILA! Landed on the object first try, so I can only assume that the clipping of the object combined with the clipping of my clothing were repelling each other.

Datacrons are not a necessity. If you don't enjoy Bioware's implementation, don't participate in that activity. Personally, I have to be in a certain mood to go after them. I got the two on my starting world and then didn't bother again until last night. I hit level 30, got my legacy name and decided that now was a good time to go back and get a dozen of the ones I've missed. I'll probably finish catching up today and then won't touch them again til later.

The small increase in stats isn't gamebreaking, so you shouldn't feel like you're missing out on something if you hate the datacron mini-game.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is invisible geometry. I just did one on Quesh where you were literally standing on empty air to get some one place to another. I retraced the path multiple times to make sure it wasn't random. It was consistent and walking on air worked!

There was another one spot where you could not walk a straight line, because there was an invisible object that pushed you to the side.

Geometry issues are probably the heart of the problems most people are having.

Part of the problem is invisible geometry. I just did one on Quesh where you were literally standing on empty air to get some one place to another. I retraced the path multiple times to make sure it wasn't random. It was consistent and walking on air worked!

There was another one spot where you could not walk a straight line, because there was an invisible object that pushed you to the side.

Geometry issues are probably the heart of the problems most people are having.

^^ this.

I tried this over the weekend.

Needless to say, I'll be going without some of these, matter of fact...all of them after trying to get the yellow shard on Nar Shadaa.

You know, I owuldnt mind the platforming so much if the actual platforms matched the damned game. As everybody likes to reference....Mario Bros was able to do it in 1985, but Bioware isnt even good enough to make a platforming minigame in 2012. Pissed me off to the point I said **** it.

I've bugged this today, its pretty clear that there are major problems reaching some Datacrons due to buggy jump mechanics. It looks like some people are enjoying the challenge, me I don't mind a challenge as long as the mechanics are working and they clearly are not. The issue's I'm having are unresponsive jumps, bouncing off objects, getting stuck. I've reached every Datacron so far, some have taken over an hour due to what I believe to be a buggy jumping mechanic.

Speculating the possible reasons for this problem include character sizes?, character classes? different textures used? latency? fps? I've tested using a couple of different keyboards. Lack of skill? doubtful, Computers and internet not good enough? again doubtful. I do think some people will not be able to reach some of these Datacrons and give up in frustration. This could be working as intended though?. All we can do is bug the problem Datacrons and locations and hope the devs will examine and fix it.

I don't have a problem with bunny hopping platforms and pipes to reach things but the collisin detection and overall jump mechanic itself are both awful. I play alot of single player action and FPS and this is easily one of the worst I have ever seen.

I agree the jumping up on rocks ect.. is really buggy in terms of getting stuck some times but i would not want them to take the challenge away from getting them. I enjoy hunting them down and having to do crazy stuff to get to them (minus getting stuck on rocks)

I tried this over the weekend.

Needless to say, I'll be going without some of these, matter of fact...all of them after trying to get the yellow shard on Nar Shadaa.

You know, I owuldnt mind the platforming so much if the actual platforms matched the damned game. As everybody likes to reference....Mario Bros was able to do it in 1985, but Bioware isnt even good enough to make a platforming minigame in 2012. Pissed me off to the point I said **** it.

The yellow shard on nar shadaa wasnt that bad at all? what did you have trouble with?

Did the incenirator keep killing you? If so just go back there at 50 when you have more health (if you werent 50 already)

Because actually getting the yellow shard was pretty easy

I rather jump around and fall all over the place like a moron rather than wasting my time on a 40 minute balloon ride for the 2 Datacrons on Tatooine.

Thankfully, I ( and quite a few people) got lucky when a friendly Trooper decided to help everyone up with the grap hook.

I don't like the Mario experience, but that's mostly because I'm no good at it. Double pipes are EVIL and should DIE, period.

I'd rather have a cron that requires the cooperation of four people to get than encounter another damn set of double pipes.

Seriously. :(

(Aside - speaking as someone in the upper age demographic, it really would be nice to have ways that didn't involve having to have the synaptic reflexes of either (a) a console player, or (b) someone under the age of 35 to accomplish. Just sayin'. =/ )

I don't like the Mario experience, but that's mostly because I'm no good at it. Double pipes are EVIL and should DIE, period.

I'd rather have a cron that requires the cooperation of four people to get than encounter another damn set of double pipes.

Seriously. :(

(Aside - speaking as someone in the upper age demographic, it really would be nice to have ways that didn't involve having to have the synaptic reflexes of either (a) a console player, or (b) someone under the age of 35 to accomplish. Just sayin'. =/ )

Speaking as someone from your age bracket, I love the nod to old school platformer games. The datacrons are optional, and some of them are there to test your skill. If you can't get the datacron, how are you supposed to move out of the bad aoe fast enough?

My wife and I are going back and doing the datacrons just to do them. Most are simple to find but hard to reach because of hidden paths. Some require really good hand/eye to get to. It's a mini-exploration game within the game that has small but permanent stat buffs as the rewards. Like anything else associated with playing a video game, it's just supposed to be fun. Edited by GalacticKegger

They are supposed to be hard to get. That's why they only point out one and say "Have fun finding the rest!"

Do you want them spoon fed to you? I find it a challenge, and am satisfied that I got all 67 datacrons.

P.S. All are easy except for Nar Shadaa and some Coruscant (Republic).

Edited by Sprgmr

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.