The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I quit this game!

When you replaced the male Imperial Agent voice actor, this was the final straw for me. First you made a critical error in making more KOTOR style cutscenes, then you decided to revamp Hutta, and now this. I am appalled. Some things were better left untouched. I hope you reconsider your decisions and try to make more SWTOR style cutscenes but until then I quit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Having heard the agent's new voice I dont see the change as a negative, genuinely don't see why so many are up in arms about this

You also have to consider that it's very possible he chose not to return to the role as it has been over a decade of voicing this character, and the Male agent's voice actor is a prominent actor in actual television shows, what was BroadSword supposed to do in this case? Not hire a new VA and have Male agents be mute? Use AI? That would have caused even worse backlash 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, denajii said:

Having heard the agent's new voice I dont see the change as a negative, genuinely don't see why so many are up in arms about this

You also have to consider that it's very possible he chose not to return to the role as it has been over a decade of voicing this character, and the Male agent's voice actor is a prominent actor in actual television shows, what was BroadSword supposed to do in this case? Not hire a new VA and have Male agents be mute? Use AI? That would have caused even worse backlash 

We all understand that actors get busy and sometimes have to leave projects, and it is not that the new voice actor is objectively bad or has an objectively bad voice, the issue with this change is that they hired someone who sounds totally and completely different from how male agent sounded for 12+ years of content in the game.  For those of us who got attached to our agents because of his voice, and connect that voice with the character, it is a total immersion and character breaking change.  If they had hired a sound-alike or impressionist who could have maintained character continuity despite a change of actor, I (and I think other people too) would be way way way less up in arms.

The way the devs handled announcing it (aka they didn't until after people started to notice and when they did they spun it like a total positive and no big deal at all in a post where they showed no respect for the previous VA or the players who might be upset by the unexpected change) is making it even worse, but the core issue is that he suddenly sounds completely different.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Traceguy said:

Anyone got a link to the new voice? I don't have any male agents past KOTFE

Sort of ditto. I have a male agent, but he's a long way off from getting to the new voice, and he's a super alt. I love the agent, but my Imp main is a lady agent.

Edited by DuchessKristania

23 minutes ago, WraithAssassin said:

Credit to video's creator: Star Wars The Old Republic-Imperial Agent(Saboteur)-Desperate Defiance (youtube.com)

I like the new VA. He sounds like he's doing an impression of Timothy Dalton playing James Bond.

And Dalton just happens to be my favorite Bond.

I don't think it sounds that drastically different. I think I like the new voice a bit better. To be fair to those who don't like the new voice, I can understand that having your main's voice change without warning would be really upsetting. I do think the team should have announced it ahead of time. People wouldn't have been thrilled, but at least they would have been prepared for it.

Dalton is my favorite Bond as well! My boyfriend is English and when I visit him in the UK we always watch at least one Bond movie together. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WraithAssassin said:

Credit to video's creator: Star Wars The Old Republic-Imperial Agent(Saboteur)-Desperate Defiance (youtube.com)

I like the new VA. He sounds like he's doing an impression of Timothy Dalton playing James Bond.

And Dalton just happens to be my favorite Bond.

Thanks for posting this, now I can compare.

The TONE is dramatically different.   The original is "oily" and "smooth" and "conspirital" with everything he says.   The new one, at least from the opening of the cutscene linked, doesn't have that.   It obviously also sounds like a different voice, but like I said (at least for me) the difference that's most noticeable is HOW he talks, not the sound of the voice.

It IS going to take some getting used to, IF I ever get that far in the story with any of my Agent characters who are male.   The only toon I've kept current with the story is a BH.

1 hour ago, Samcuu said:

The new agent VA was in game of thrones and some other big projects. His voice sounds great, mmo'ers just detest change of any kind lol. 

I just looked up which character he played.  Rhaegar Targaryen 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christie_Swift said:

Whats the deal with the voice?  Can you elaborate why the updated one is so horrible?

it is not that he has a horrible voice (objectively, his voice is just fine, if he were voice acting for a brand new class introduced in the game I would even make a character of that class), the deal that makes the update so horrible is that the new voice sounds totally different from the previous voice.... much lower in pitch, different tonality, and completely different line delivery which maintains none of the personality of the character as established. 

Based on what we have gotten so far from the voice acting on the new update, it definitely feels like 0 attempt was made by the devs to maintain character continuity through the change of voice actor, they just hired someone who's good at voice acting and is British but sounds totally different and plays the role totally different.  And again, no shade to the new guy, he's just been hired to do a job and is doing his best, it's all on the devs on this one for not hiring someone who could/would maintain continuity of vocal tone and personality when taking up the role.

As a result of all that, basically it feels like everyone with a male agent suddenly made a new identical looking character of a different class.  It's jarring and no longer feels like playing the same character at all, just feels like suddenly having a totally different character who happens to look the same.  For those of us who main or who are really attached to male agents based on voice and the personality developed by Carvel's style of line delivery, it feels like losing the character we have grown attached to.

If they got a new voice actor who sounded similar enough and maintained the same style of line delivery and personality established, we would still be sad and it would still take a little getting used to but could be gotten used to and still feel like the same character.  But as of what we've gotten in this new update, it feels like a completely different character and that seems unlikely to change unless they recast again or direct the new actor to play the role differently and do a voice closer to the original.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kyledll said:

When you replaced the male Imperial Agent voice actor, this was the final straw for me. First you made a critical error in making more KOTOR style cutscenes, then you decided to revamp Hutta, and now this. I am appalled. Some things were better left untouched. I hope you reconsider your decisions and try to make more SWTOR style cutscenes but until then I quit.

While I'm all for crapping on BW / BS for their failures this is one of those things that's out of their control.  Sometimes other people have other commitments and can't make the time necessary for this game.  Quit if you want, but this is one of those few things that I can't blame them for.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cannibithobbal said:

it is not that he has a horrible voice (objectively, his voice is just fine, if he were voice acting for a brand new class introduced in the game I would even make a character of that class), the deal that makes the update so horrible is that the new voice sounds totally different from the previous voice.... much lower in pitch, different tonality, and completely different line delivery which maintains none of the personality of the character as established. 

Based on what we have gotten so far from the voice acting on the new update, it definitely feels like 0 attempt was made by the devs to maintain character continuity through the change of voice actor, they just hired someone who's good at voice acting and is British but sounds totally different and plays the role totally different.  And again, no shade to the new guy, he's just been hired to do a job and is doing his best, it's all on the devs on this one for not hiring someone who could/would maintain continuity of vocal tone and personality when taking up the role.

As a result of all that, basically it feels like everyone with a male agent suddenly made a new identical looking character of a different class.  It's jarring and no longer feels like playing the same character at all, just feels like suddenly having a totally different character who happens to look the same.  For those of us who main or who are really attached to male agents based on voice and the personality developed by Carvel's style of line delivery, it feels like losing the character we have grown attached to.

If they got a new voice actor who sounded similar enough and maintained the same style of line delivery and personality established, we would still be sad and it would still take a little getting used to but could be gotten used to and still feel like the same character.  But as of what we've gotten in this new update, it feels like a completely different character and that seems unlikely to change unless they recast again or direct the new actor to play the role differently and do a voice closer to the original.

I'll just say that while these are sound arguments, I think that few of us would have truly cared if it was announced properly more than a week before the patch.
Changing VAs is okay, XIV did that after the base game when they changed VAs for the entire cast of characters and no one really cared because it was called out in advance, with arguments from the dev team who also thanked the previous VAs for their work.

Change isn't really a bad thing if it's called properly. Atm it feels a bit too much like a sudden "hey we changed VA byyyye" and everyone reacting badly to that announcement (which makes complete sense because the way it was handled wasn't correct at all for both the players, and the previous VA)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I just want to say, until we learn more, if ever, I wouldn't blame Broadsword for changing voice actors. The original could have made his own decision not to continue. Has anyone tried asking him what's up?

Just a reminder, the Male-Bounty Hunter VA is turning 74 years old this year. He could retire any day. Some VAs like Tom Kane experience medical situations that end their career. Tom Kane has voiced many characters in SWTOR including 4X, and was Admiral Yularen in Star Wars the Clone Wars. Due to a stroke in 2020, he has retired from voice acting.

Edited by Traceguy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

The original VA, Bertie Carvel, is starring in a British tv series that got picked up for 2 more seasons. Show is called Dalgliesh. And he is playing the main character. So he probably just got too busy to continue with SWTOR. So, no reason for the community to panic. We still have so many big hitting amazing VA's for this game. If those other VA's start leaving, then it's time to panic. Personally, I'm happy that Bertie's career seems to be doing so well. I hope to see him in more shows and movies someday.

• Like 3

My issue personally, isn't the change itself, it's how it was handled. I completely understand actors moving on, their careers accelerating, etc. That's a normal progression of events. If this game keeps going more actors will be replaced as some, including

4 hours ago, Traceguy said:

Just a reminder, the Male-Bounty Hunter VA is turning 74 years old this year. He could retire any day. Some VAs like Tom Kane experience medical situations that end their career. Tom Kane has voiced many characters in SWTOR including 4X, and was Admiral Yularen in Star Wars the Clone Wars. Due to a stroke in 2020, he has retired from voice acting.

these people, are getting old and are having medical issues.

All of this is normal.

What is NOT normal is BS/BW giving no explanation or heads up, or even a tribute to Carvel. Die-hard male imperial agent fans like me, fans in general, and both VA's deserve that much. Incredibly disrespectful to everyone to be finding out this change after it went live, it was a complete mishandling. I only ask that if BS replaces people in the future, they do so with ample warning. At least a week in advance.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, supertimtaf said:

I'll just say that while these are sound arguments, I think that few of us would have truly cared if it was announced properly more than a week before the patch.
Changing VAs is okay, XIV did that after the base game when they changed VAs for the entire cast of characters and no one really cared because it was called out in advance, with arguments from the dev team who also thanked the previous VAs for their work.

Change isn't really a bad thing if it's called properly. Atm it feels a bit too much like a sudden "hey we changed VA byyyye" and everyone reacting badly to that announcement (which makes complete sense because the way it was handled wasn't correct at all for both the players, and the previous VA)

This is exactly my problem.

Typical BS Shadow Nerfing BS like how they did with the conquest change.

Super disrespectful to Bertie Carvel who worked with them for 10+ years. Super disrespectful to Wilf Scolding as if he's just an afterthought. Super disrespectful to the players who actually CARE about voice acting in this game and how unique they are to make this game special even after 10+ years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

But we don't know what happened? Did it occur to anyone reacting so angrily that Mr. Carvel might have left in a way that left the Devs in a lurch? I'm not saying he did, but maybe there's legitimate reasons for this. Maybe not, but with not knowing is it really something to get this angry about. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 2:45 AM, kyledll said:

I mean while it's upsetting they changed Imperial Agent Voice actor, that sometimes is a requirement because of schedules, or the Actor's desire to focus on other things...

On 5/30/2024 at 8:34 AM, Samcuu said:

The new agent VA was in game of thrones and some other big projects. His voice sounds great, mmo'ers just detest change of any kind lol. 

• What they should have done is announced that in advance, and then thanked the Actor for all the time they spent with us. 
  • Then introduced the new Voice Actor, then wished them well as they begin this journey with us moving forward...

I'm also a bit disappointed that in 80% of our character cutscene's, we don't even respond... ...just really surprised they didn't do this technique far more in 7.5 here:

• I mean I understand budgetary issues or trying to cut down on lengthy responses; yet have the 2, 3, or 4 Main NPC Character's ask more leading questions!
  • Then this only requires a simple yes, no, sure, unacceptable, kind of response far more often!  As those could apply to several responses; or...
  • Offer a Nod, Shrug, Puzzled, Disapproval type of gesture...  ...not a full sentence that isn't voiced a little bit too often.

Still most I've spoken to aren't happy, with the visual changes made to Hutta... mostly despite being a polluted planet, thought they overdid the smog!

1. Would have liked to see them tone down the smog by 25% to say the least...  ...so lighting pop's a tiny bit more, and buildings not so blurred in. :( 

SWTOR 7.5 Hutta Visual Update Comparison - VULKK.com

Even the VULKK (author) whom I don't know wasn't highly complimentary of the new Hutta, yet go have a read yourself... they did like somethings yet thought, " were relying more on the new shader for an updated look rather than making better and more diverse models and textures "

Still at the end of the day, the story was generally interesting & appealin0; despite Hutta's new area seems smaller than Kessan's did.  Still I'd just wished for a few minor tweaks to how they approached a few points denoted above; yet I do love some quality of life enhancements made.  

Edited by Strathkin
Grammar
  • Like 1

Doesn't matter if the VA had a fist fight with the Head Dev, it's basic PR decency to make an announcement of the recast of a main character before it happens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eabevella said:

Doesn't matter if the VA had a fist fight with the Head Dev, it's basic PR decency to make an announcement of the recast of a main character before it happens.

YES, omg.

It does not matter how many (if any) bridges are burned behind the scenes, when a major actor in any project is changed (especially one who has been in the project for 12+ years), it is still better PR and basic common courtesy to both the actor and the fans of theirs who watch/play that piece of work to a) announce it in advance, b) thank the actor for their work in the project so far and wish them well in their other projects, and c) if it is not known already, offer at least some sort of basic explanation as to the change (even if it's the basic PR explanation of "scheduling conflicts") so that people aren't spinning their heads speculating "did he get fired?  did he get too busy?  did he burn bridges when he left? did the devs burn bridges when he left??" etc.

The fact they made no effort to maintain character continuity with the recast and recast with someone who sounds different and plays the role different (like, when literally even the people who are saying they like the new guy are saying they like him "because he sounds better than the old actor", it just proves the point even harder that he sounds totally different) is bad enough of a disrespect to fans of the game who play male agents.  It's just even worse that they handled the announcement of is so so so badly.  Not a good look from the devs on this one all around.

Edited by cannibithobbal
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 5:08 PM, DuchessKristania said:

I don't think it sounds that drastically different. I think I like the new voice a bit better. To be fair to those who don't like the new voice, I can understand that having your main's voice change without warning would be really upsetting. I do think the team should have announced it ahead of time. People wouldn't have been thrilled, but at least they would have been prepared for it.

Dalton is my favorite Bond as well! My boyfriend is English and when I visit him in the UK we always watch at least one Bond movie together. 

hearing aid user here,  to me he sounds just like old  VA but my hearing is so bad that what i hear is not what others do, just my hearing aids adjusting the world to sounds i can hear, but i would not have known the actor was different  if people online had not made fuss. 

Edited by TalLura
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TalLura said:

hearing aid user here,  to me he sounds just like old  VA but my hearing is so bad that what i hear is not what others do, just my hearing aids adjusting the world to sounds i can hear, but i would not have known the actor was different  if people online had not made fuss. 

I think it probably comes down to different elements of the two performances standing out to different people. I can totally understand why it's upsetting if you really liked the original actor and a male agent was your main. For me it's not a big impact to my playing, but yeah I totally understand being upset.